BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,579
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 22 of 220 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm new to the travel lax world. Just wondering does Top Guns start for girls entering fifth grade or do they have a little Guns developmental program also. Thank you.
Yes it does start with girls going into 5th grade, but they typically have a handful of younger kids who tryout and make the team.

Close but not quite, try outs for this club are just after summer travel ends in august, within the next week or two in fact. The youngest team they host are girls going into 6th grade, 2019 this past summer as an example. But girls going into 5th tryout and by summer tournament time they are going into 6th. And yes they typically have a few girls playing up a year only to fall into the proper age group the following year.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many spots are available on 2015 black? purple? Last year tryouts were horrible and a total waste of time. Will it be the same this year or will kids actually get a chance to play?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many spots are available on 2015 black? purple? Last year tryouts were horrible and a total waste of time. Will it be the same this year or will kids actually get a chance to play?
Shouldn't every spot be available? Doesn't every girl have to really try out or are spots guaranteed to past players? If only certain spots are up will there be a posting as to what positions are in play ? My daughter is a goalie will she be given a fair chance or are they just taking peoples money?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
very little movement and then people can also refuse to move if chosen

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WOW this is the same post on the Yellow Jackets? Just added Black and Purple.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You know this exact comment is on the YJ thread as well. Interesting. There is movement on the Top Guns 2015 team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This summer's 2019 teams had 2020 girls playing. The 2019 will move up (if pass tryouts) and the 2020 will become the newer team (after tryouts)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You know this exact comment is on the YJ thread as well. Interesting. There is move ent on the Top Guns 2015 team.

I posted the question here. I did not post it on the YJ thread. (Seems someone looking to start trouble on the YJ thread.) I am just looking for some information and I still don't think the question was answered. The way I am reading it is that there is movement but you don't have to move? Can someone please explain?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You know this exact comment is on the YJ thread as well. Interesting. There is move ent on the Top Guns 2015 team.

I posted the question here. I did not post it on the YJ thread. (Seems someone looking to start trouble on the YJ thread.) I am just looking for some information and I still don't think the question was answered. The way I am reading it is that there is movement but you don't have to move? Can someone please explain?

What's the question?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What's the question?

How many spots are available on 2015 black? Purple? Just follow the thread! Last year was a waste of time with teams already chosen. Is it worth it this year? Not bashing just asking

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This summer's 2019 teams had 2020 girls playing. The 2019 will move up (if pass tryouts) and the 2020 will become the newer team (after tryouts)

Don't bet on it, A select few will get to choose what team they play on.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

My two cents is, and this goes for any team in any club, that there is always room for more talent. If the tryers-out are at the same level as last year's members then they won't get a spot because there's nothing to gain and a little to lose in terms of team solidarity and gel. If the tryers-out are more skilled and have something the team needs, they earn a spot on the team.

My theory doesn't account for political connections, nor for a talented girl with baggage (aka parents with demands). Either of those situations will factor in as well.

Your mileage may vary, take what I say with a grain of salt because I've never run a tryout or had to make the picks. But I've had several kids go through the process for many years, across sports, and that's they way I've seen it play out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have to believe that if an unknown "great" player showed up for the tryout she would be offered a spot, I think the push this year is to beat the Maryland teams, you can't accomplish that if you don't take the best players. For Black team players on the bubble a move to purple is a definite possibility, For Purple team players on the bubble...I'm not sure what they will do, I would not like to them add another color team, as we've seen what a mess that creates.
yeah I know about politics..but how many people are really that hooked up?
at the end of the day it's a business and businesses make money, and successful (winning teams) make the most money

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have posted this tought before on tryouts. There are no spots open on any of the black teams unless a player decides to leave, all new tryout players as well as purple team players are gunning to take someone's position. So in effect they are competing against existing players. Here is where parents get funny. First parents have parent goggles on, that aside it is hard to get a good sense of a player purely from a tryout. A kid can light it up on all the skill drill stations then get to scrimmage and never touch ball. You also have many kids who may not skill drill well but put them in a real game and they become beasts. And I see kids that practice and drill well, dissappear come game time. Existing players are known quantities, tryout kids are a gamble so unless someone is just head and shoulders above, its barely worth the risk of a mild upgrade that may not work out. Parents of the kids are a known quantity as well so the risk is also there picking up nightmare parents. So to sum it up, there will always be room for stud players on any team and any club for that matter, marginal upgrades will likely be passed on because they are a risk and they dont want to upset team by showing no loyalty to players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have to believe that if an unknown "great" player showed up for the tryout she would be offered a spot, I think the push this year is to beat the Maryland teams, you can't accomplish that if you don't take the best players. For Black team players on the bubble a move to purple is a definite possibility, For Purple team players on the bubble...I'm not sure what they will do, I would not like to them add another color team, as we've seen what a mess that creates.
at the end of the day it's a business and businesses make money, and successful (winning teams) make the most money

What mess have you seen adding another team creates.Why would adding a team for the less accomplished players have to create problems so long as there are enough interested players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What mess have you seen adding another team creates.Why would adding a team for the less accomplished players have to create problems so long as there are enough interested players.

I am a fan of a 2 team system Call it A and B, Black and Purple, whatever, when you start adding more than that the brand gets diluted. In my perfect world (remember this is my opinion) the A team roster is a little smaller more playing time for each kid, less substitutions etc. and the B team roster is a little larger more developmental to see where the cream rises to the top, the top B team players would fill in the A team roster at tournaments due to injury or availability etc. what is the value to player (and parents) of being on the C or D team, is the quality of coaches there? Are the club directors involved in their development? Or is it about money? That’s the mess as I see it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am a fan of a 2 team system Call it A and B, Black and Purple, whatever, when you start adding more than that the brand gets diluted. In my perfect world (remember this is my opinion) the A team roster is a little smaller more playing time for each kid, less substitutions etc. and the B team roster is a little larger more developmental to see where the cream rises to the top, the top B team players would fill in the A team roster at tournaments due to injury or availability etc. what is the value to player (and parents) of being on the C or D team, is the quality of coaches there? Are the club directors involved in their development? Or is it about money? That’s the mess as I see it.

I am also a fan of keeping it to 2 teams, however I think players should not be "called up" to the A team on a temporary basis to fill in at a tournament, that's not fair to a solid B team that looses it top players whenever the A team needs a boost. B teams that are built to be solid teams should stay intact for the season and let adjustments be made at tryouts the following year, if no conflict with schedules, by all means bring them up for the challenge, otherwise treating B teams as a practice squad just reinforces the second class citizen feeling that is inherent with being a clubs b team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's NOT right if that's what happens! ALL the 2020 girls should stay down to play with their own age regardless of who they know or how they are connected - and we all know a few of them are "connected".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's NOT right if that's what happens! ALL the 2020 girls should stay down to play with their own age regardless of who they know or how they are connected - and we all know a few of them are "connected".

Top Guns, Will put their players in their correct age group. They will NOT push a players up or down to build up a team. That is fact.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

In the end, all girls end up playing with their age group.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We've been with TG for a few years and I must say that the behavior of some coaches has gotten worse. This year I was dissapointed to see one of the coaches from a younger TG tteam on the sidlines sitting in a chair with his feet up drinking beer out of a plastic cup like he was at a Jet/Giant game. Then to watch him stagger over to the next game to watch his sisters next game was sad. I hope this get addressed at next years team orientation.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
We've been with TG for a few years and I must say that the behavior of some coaches has gotten worse. This year I was dissapointed to see one of the coaches from a younger TG tteam on the sidlines sitting in a chair with his feet up drinking beer out of a plastic cup like he was at a Jet/Giant game. Then to watch him stagger over to the next game to watch his sisters next game was sad. I hope this get addressed at next years team orientation.
Name the age group and/or the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Calling BS on this one. A near identical post is on the YJ thread naming a parent instead. Someone stirring the pot. This is a serious allegation aimed at a coach. Can you identify this poster Cage? This type of post serves no purpose and is seemingly from the same person. Help the community stop these type of posts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Name the age group and/or the team.

This post is on the YJ thread.
"We've been with YJ for a few years and I must say that the behavior of some parents has gotten worse. This year I was dissapointed to see one of the mothers from a younger YJ team on the sidlines sitting in a chair with her feet up drinking beer out of a plastic cup like she was at a Jet/Giant game. Then to watch her stagger over to the next field to watch her daughters next game was sad. I hope this get addressed at next years team orientation."

Cmon....anyone agree this is the same person starting S@&T. This persons kids must be charming. Some people shouldn't be allowed to procreate!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Calling BS on this one. A near identical post is on the YJ thread naming a parent instead. Someone stirring the pot. This is a serious allegation aimed at a coach. Can you identify this poster Cage? This type of post serves no purpose and is seemingly from the same person. Help the community stop these type of posts.
There are two unique posters and one copied from the other and changed the team references. BOTC will handle this one - thanks for the catch.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Top Guns, Will put their players in their correct age group. They will NOT push a players up or down to build up a team. That is fact.

How many 2020's are on the 2019 team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
There are two unique posters and one copied from the other and changed the team references. BOTC will handle this one - thanks for the catch.

The same thing happened last week. I posted a question on TG about 2015 available spots. It was copied almost exactly on YJ thread. We have a copy cat on our hands!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There were 6 or 7 2020 girls on the 2019 team. I know at least some of the parents of the 2020 girls are not expecting their daughters to move up with the 2019 but I do not think that it the case for all of them!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There were 5 or 6 girls playing up on 2019 this past summer, all will be dropping to 2020 for next summer as it is the first year TG offer a team for that age group. I am certain there will be about the same number of 2021's playing with 2020's for next summer. YJ have an advantage over TG as they offer teams for girls at a younger age.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There were 5 or 6 girls playing up on 2019 this past summer, all will be dropping to 2020 for next summer as it is the first year TG offer a team for that age group. I am certain there will be about the same number of 2021's playing with 2020's for next summer. YJ have an advantage over TG as they offer teams for girls at a younger age.

What's the advantage? They have no teams there age to play, most tournaments start with girls going into 7th grade, so even the 2019's played up more than half of there games, 2020's were sheep to the slaughter when they left LI for a tournament against 2018/2019 teams

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ's are starting a todler program, TG's are way behind

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]This summer's 2019 teams had 2020 girls playing. The 2019 will move up (if pass tryouts) and the 2020 will become the newer team (after tryouts)

Another advantage for the YJ is they offer the Hornets developmental program for girls grade 2 and grade 3. If you get them in your program at a younger age they are likely to make friends there and not want to leave for another club.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's the advantage? They have no teams there age to play, most tournaments start with girls going into 7th grade, so even the 2019's played up more than half of there games, 2020's were sheep to the slaughter when they left LI for a tournament against 2018/2019 teams

The advantage is the girls are hooked earlier into a club. The young teams only go to a couple travel tournaments and mostly play each other anyway. But girls in the 3rd, 4th and even fifth grade are welcomed into the world of pay to play by yj where that is not an option with many other clubs. Parents and kids who are [lacrosse] bent to play will go to yj and likely stay there once they are in, thus the advantage.

Last edited by CageSage; .
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The advantage is the girls are hooked earlier into a club. The young teams only go to a couple travel tournaments and mostly play each other anyway. But girls in the 3rd, 4th and even fifth grade are welcomed into the world of pay to play by yj where that is not an option with many other clubs. Parents and kids who are [lacrosse] bent to play will go to yj and likely stay there once they are in, thus the advantage.

This post doesn't even make sense! There were plenty of 2019 teams from all over that they were able to play! Plus the 2019 Black team did VERY well against all the 2018 teams that they played! It was no issue for the 2019 or 2020 girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This poster is simply saying that if they matriculated younger kids that have no other options at the younger ages they will most likely stay with the club for the duration. This post is seems to be accurate and as the kids seeking travel play become younger and younger I anticipate teams forming for them from all clubs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This post doesn't even make sense! There were plenty of 2019 teams from all over that they were able to play! Plus the 2019 Black team did VERY well against all the 2018 teams that they played! It was no issue for the 2019 or 2020 girls.

the reference was regarding the yj 2020 teams that were a waste of time and most parents of those kids would agree - they had know idea that they would be traveling to play themselves or get humiliated by 2018 and 2019 teams

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes they did. it's all about meeting new girls, and establishing themselves

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The top 2020 YJ was competitive the other 2 teams not so much. It looked like these girls enjoyed themselves and I'm sure most of the will want to play again. This season won't be a waste for the YJ if these girls return and have a little experience under their belts for next season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I personally know several people who were not happy about the way the entire season played out, will they leave? doubtful, but they will be paying much closer attention to the teams and how they're run in the 2013 season - yes. the yj 2020 teams looked like poorly coached PAL teams, an after thought for the club and financial subsidy for the older teams

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes they did. it's all about meeting new girls, and establishing themselves

Then they should have stayed on LI and played all the local tournaments

Like Reply Quote