The 'Pro Women's Lacrosse Clinic' date was changed to Oct. 13th || Last Day to Register for the Shore2Shore K-1 Clinic

BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2024-8th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
by Anonymous. 09/21/19 09:20 PM
Boys 2025-7th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
by Anonymous. 09/21/19 08:24 PM
Boys 2024 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous. 09/21/19 07:58 PM
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous. 09/21/19 07:08 PM
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous. 09/21/19 11:29 AM
Girls 2025-7th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
by Anonymous. 09/20/19 05:58 PM
Boys 2023
by Anonymous. 09/20/19 04:56 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics1,766
Posts255,136
Members2,135
Most Online6,425
Sep 8th, 2019
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69351
07/16/14 07:04 PM
07/16/14 07:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
It works as long as your son is an attachman on the team that keeps winning these face offs ..otherwise your son might be bored just watching the game played in the other end of the field

Get or train a FOGO! This is not brain surgery, it's a specialized position and there are plenty of kids out there that can get the job done!

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: LAXER DAD] #69357
07/16/14 07:36 PM
07/16/14 07:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok so i have read some of these posts, and have something to add. My family is not well off, in fact we struggle. My son who is going into HS next year started to play lacrosse in middle school. He became very good at the face off position and people are telling us he could get a scholarship. This has changed his life. He works so hard every day trying to get better at this. I go to all of his games and enjoy watching the face off as much as the other parts of the game. It is so intense and exciting, and I know it is not just because it's my son. Everyone stops chatting and watches. If faceoffs are taken out of the game in the way they are used now, there are so many young boys that will see their dreams burn up in front of them. This is bad for everyone. I don't see how such an important part of the game can change. It makes no sense at all. What kind of person would want to stir a pot like this. There must be something else you can focus on. leave the Faceoff alone!

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69373
07/16/14 08:56 PM
07/16/14 08:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck to you and your boy, I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: LAXER DAD] #70113
07/21/14 09:56 PM
07/21/14 09:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Did anyone else watch the FIL Championship? The face offs weren't the problem. The stall is going to kill any TV deal.

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #70137
07/22/14 07:31 AM
07/22/14 07:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Did anyone else watch the FIL Championship? The face offs weren't the problem. The stall is going to kill any TV deal.

A shot clock at the college and international level is very much needed.

Sponsored Links
Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #70161
07/22/14 09:27 AM
07/22/14 09:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok so i have read some of these posts, and have something to add. My family is not well off, in fact we struggle. My son who is going into HS next year started to play lacrosse in middle school. He became very good at the face off position and people are telling us he could get a scholarship. This has changed his life. He works so hard every day trying to get better at this. I go to all of his games and enjoy watching the face off as much as the other parts of the game. It is so intense and exciting, and I know it is not just because it's my son. Everyone stops chatting and watches. If faceoffs are taken out of the game in the way they are used now, there are so many young boys that will see their dreams burn up in front of them. This is bad for everyone. I don't see how such an important part of the game can change. It makes no sense at all. What kind of person would want to stir a pot like this. There must be something else you can focus on. leave the Faceoff alone!

This talk is coming straight from the NCAA I believe.They are always looking for ways to improve the game and make it flow much quicker and the reality looks lik it will happen.

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #70188
07/22/14 11:59 AM
07/22/14 11:59 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FOGO is a valid and sought after position. Colleges are recruiting these kids as early as possible and I suspect they are using those spots wisely...Having a face off does not slow the game in fact makes it more exciting. You can argue that one player is better than another at every position, should we tell the really fast guys to slow down so the other teams middies can catch up? Should we tell the athletic D man he can't play because at 6'4" his reach is 6 inches better than everyone else on the field and its not fair? Or like the other poster said, take out the goalies and play basketball.

Only people that don't like face offs are those that don't have a good fogo...

I dont have a fogo kid, but if I did i would be happy given that people with that skill, win the ground ball by whatever means possible, are a commodity in this market.

For the doomsday guy that apparently has the inside knowledge that the face off is going away, what are you on the rules committee? Get a grip, the growth of this sport like all others will depend on TV deals. Not based upon the speed of the game. So like Hockey, people like to watch the face off and the cameras capture the action very well.

Everyone says its about the "speed of the game" and to a certain extent that is true. So the way to speed up the game is a real shot clock behind both cages or in the box.

But the real growth will only come from TV and that is about watch-ability and enjoyment of watching.... How fast does baseball move? How fast does soccer move? How about football?

No, those sports have grown and are successful, not because there is non stop action, but because they are distributed through TV in a viewer friendly manner.

Scores of 12 to 8 are more than enough and there is no need to tinker with one of the real skill positions in the game. Spend your time and energy figuring out how to get ESPN to do more than 8 college games per year and you will grow the sport without regard to any rule change....
No. You maybe right regarding tv $ but the sport plays well on tv when it is fast moving, any sport does. Could you imagine if basketball went back to mid court for a jump ball after every basket? Could you imagine lacrosse taking the ball back to mid field after a goal and having another face off? Being able to quick restart after a goal and force the team to clear leaves shorties on the field and less opportunity to sub out. Shorties on shorties will create more opportunites and less crowded passing lanes. God forbid a shorty have to play O AND D. Sorry if I submit that the fast break in hoops and lacrosse is the most exciting, not the face off or jump ball. While a LSM may also be a specialty and will be less important, a new specialty will be created, or recreated - the 2 way middy. Faster paced sport with constant action will attract the $, not the face off.

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #70193
07/22/14 12:06 PM
07/22/14 12:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FOGO is a valid and sought after position. Colleges are recruiting these kids as early as possible and I suspect they are using those spots wisely...Having a face off does not slow the game in fact makes it more exciting. You can argue that one player is better than another at every position, should we tell the really fast guys to slow down so the other teams middies can catch up? Should we tell the athletic D man he can't play because at 6'4" his reach is 6 inches better than everyone else on the field and its not fair? Or like the other poster said, take out the goalies and play basketball.

I dont have a fogo kid, but if I did i would be happy given that people with that skill, win the ground ball by whatever means possible, are a commodity in this market.

For the doomsday guy that apparently has the inside knowledge that the face off is going away, what are you on the rules committee? Get a grip, the growth of this sport like all others will depend on TV deals. Not based upon the speed of the game. So like Hockey, people like to watch the face off and the cameras capture the action very well.

Everyone says its about the "speed of the game" and to a certain extent that is true. So the way to speed up the game is a real shot clock behind both cages or in the box.

But the real growth will only come from TV and that is about watch-ability and enjoyment of watching.... How fast does baseball move? How fast does soccer move? How about football?

No, those sports have grown and are successful, not because there is non stop action, but because they are distributed through TV in a viewer friendly manner.

Scores of 12 to 8 are more than enough and there is no need to tinker with one of the real skill positions in the game. Spend your time and energy figuring out how to get ESPN to do more than 8 college games per year and you will grow the sport without regard to any rule change....
No. You maybe right regarding tv $ but the sport plays well on tv when it is fast moving, any sport does. Could you imagine if basketball went back to mid court for a jump ball after every basket? Could you imagine lacrosse taking the ball back to mid field after a goal and having another face off? Being able to quick restart after a goal and force the team to clear leaves shorties on the field and less opportunity to sub out. Shorties on shorties will create more opportunites and less crowded passing lanes. God forbid a shorty have to play O AND D. Sorry if I submit that the fast break in hoops and lacrosse is the most exciting, not the face off or jump ball. While a LSM may also be a specialty and will be less important, a new specialty will be created, or recreated - the 2 way middy. Faster paced sport with constant action will attract the $, not the face off.

I couldn't agree more. That is why this change is being looked at so closely

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #70196
07/22/14 12:30 PM
07/22/14 12:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You couldn't be more wrong! Lax and bball have their similarities, but are also different in many ways. Maybe we should get rid of the goalie too? You make silly points. Face off needs to stay in the game as is. As others have pointed out, it makes the game exciting, and refocuses people's attention. What I do agree wholeheartedly with however, is the shot clock. This will improve the speed of the game.face off is not the problem so stop trying to create one!

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #70213
07/22/14 02:39 PM
07/22/14 02:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You couldn't be more wrong! Lax and bball have their similarities, but are also different in many ways. Maybe we should get rid of the goalie too? You make silly points. Face off needs to stay in the game as is. As others have pointed out, it makes the game exciting, and refocuses people's attention. What I do agree wholeheartedly with however, is the shot clock. This will improve the speed of the game.face off is not the problem so stop trying to create one!
Silly? Per previous posts this topic is being reviewed every year so not trying to create one. It's already out there silly. Time elapsed after goal to reset and refocus is faster than a quick restart that has possibilities for fast break? Use a stop watch silly. The face off guy is a midfielder first, fogo 2nd silly. But if you think it is silly to not have your kid or player start playing midfield instead of fogo, now that is silly.

Sponsored Links
Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #70219
07/22/14 03:04 PM
07/22/14 03:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Silly? Per previous posts this topic is being reviewed every year so not trying to create one. It's already out there silly. Time elapsed after goal to reset and refocus is faster than a quick restart that has possibilities for fast break? Use a stop watch silly. The face off guy is a midfielder first, fogo 2nd silly. But if you think it is silly to not have your kid or player start playing midfield instead of fogo, now that is silly.

I believe they think the changes could be made within 2-3 years.

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #70226
07/22/14 03:18 PM
07/22/14 03:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like you're mad. Probably cause your son is a wanna be FOGO who sucks and you're just bitter about spending all that money training him. Maybe try a new position? The face off negative nellys try to bring up this crap every year. Fact is the majority of lax players and fans enjoy that aspect of the game, silly!

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #70238
07/22/14 04:11 PM
07/22/14 04:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like you're mad. Probably cause your son is a wanna be FOGO who sucks and you're just bitter about spending all that money training him. Maybe try a new position? The face off negative nellys try to bring up this crap every year. Fact is the majority of lax players and fans enjoy that aspect of the game, silly!
Wow, your family must love you around the dinner table. Fast break less exciting than face off? Now that is silly, loser!

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #70245
07/22/14 04:21 PM
07/22/14 04:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow, your family must love you around the dinner table. Fast break less exciting than face off? Now that is silly, loser!

Actually, I like the fast break following a f/o smoking.

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: LAXER DAD] #70449
07/23/14 05:00 PM
07/23/14 05:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What do you think the original intent of the face off was? I believe it was for both Teams to have a 50-50 shot at getting ball. With specialized Individuals getting 60% or more of the balls and running off the field, I think spirit of the original rule is lost and changes should be made.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9