07/16/14 12:44 PM
07/16/14 12:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Every sport has become more specialized, pinch hitters, relief pitchers, short yardage backs and the like. Maybe a tweak to the rules would help but.

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69236
07/16/14 01:24 PM
07/16/14 01:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Go ahead and get rid of one of the most exciting parts of the game. That should help the sport grow! It works great the way it is now. Keeps the game fresh and fun for spectators. I don't agree with moving sticks apart because that will lead to more player injury due to jamming. Less skill involved. I also disagree with a previous poster's suggestion limiting the time a player can keep the ball in the back of the stick. The current rule works great, one chance to pop it out. What is the difference if the ball is in the front or back of the stick?

The problem is in a game of possession this one position can control the whole game. AT the younger level the last thing I would want is t be on a team with a real good face off man. You will never see any action during the game and won't get any better.

That's not true! A team is so much more than the F/O. I have seen many games (youth and HS) where almost all F/O's have been won, but the team still loses, many times badly! It is one thing to win the F/O, you then have to keep the ball. A good team will force turnovers and get the ball back without missing a beat. Sure it is an advantage, but not always as big a difference as you think when your whole team is strong!

If you ever did the stats I am sure its well over 75% for the team that wins the faceoff.

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69239
07/16/14 01:33 PM
07/16/14 01:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Go ahead and get rid of one of the most exciting parts of the game. That should help the sport grow! It works great the way it is now. Keeps the game fresh and fun for spectators. I don't agree with moving sticks apart because that will lead to more player injury due to jamming. Less skill involved. I also disagree with a previous poster's suggestion limiting the time a player can keep the ball in the back of the stick. The current rule works great, one chance to pop it out. What is the difference if the ball is in the front or back of the stick?

The problem is in a game of possession this one position can control the whole game. AT the younger level the last thing I would want is t be on a team with a real good face off man. You will never see any action during the game and won't get any better.

That's not true! A team is so much more than the F/O. I have seen many games (youth and HS) where almost all F/O's have been won, but the team still loses, many times badly! It is one thing to win the F/O, you then have to keep the ball. A good team will force turnovers and get the ball back without missing a beat. Sure it is an advantage, but not always as big a difference as you think when your whole team is strong!

If you ever did the stats I am sure its well over 75% for the team that wins the faceoff.

Not sure about that, nevertheless, F/Os are an important and exciting aspect of the game. There are many excellent FOGOs. Competitive teams should not have a problem finding/traing one if they really care about that position. Just like they do for goalie.

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69251
07/16/14 01:58 PM
07/16/14 01:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Every sport is specialized, that is due to the growth of the sport. F/O have become and exciting important part of the game. Someone said should one player on the field for two or three minutes have such and impact? Did you ever see football? Sixty minute game and almost half of the games each year (proven) come down to a guy who can't tackle, can't catch, can't throw, can't block and is slow...Can you guess the position???

Keeping the game exciting is what will grow the sport. Creating more skilled positions will grow the sport, limiting the impacts of skilled position players is a natural progression. It happens now. LSM? DM? OM?

Maybe we should eliminate the goaile and just have a really small hole in the center of the net, then we can be basketball with pads...

Come on folks, the only people that don't like the FOGO positions are the college teams that haven't found the right kid for the role and lost a national championship because of their failure to have forecast the value of having a great kid play fogo. Did I hear someone say Syracuse...

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69257
07/16/14 02:10 PM
07/16/14 02:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Every sport is specialized, that is due to the growth of the sport. F/O have become and exciting important part of the game. Someone said should one player on the field for two or three minutes have such and impact? Did you ever see football? Sixty minute game and almost half of the games each year (proven) come down to a guy who can't tackle, can't catch, can't throw, can't block and is slow...Can you guess the position???

Keeping the game exciting is what will grow the sport. Creating more skilled positions will grow the sport, limiting the impacts of skilled position players is a natural progression. It happens now. LSM? DM? OM?

Maybe we should eliminate the goaile and just have a really small hole in the center of the net, then we can be basketball with pads...

Come on folks, the only people that don't like the FOGO positions are the college teams that haven't found the right kid for the role and lost a national championship because of their failure to have forecast the value of having a great kid play fogo. Did I hear someone say Syracuse...

I couldn't disagree more. people want fast paced action. That is why the shot clock was brought in. and more will be done to speed up the game. The face off needs to be changed and it wil. within the next few years it will change completely

Sponsored Links
Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69263
07/16/14 02:29 PM
07/16/14 02:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I couldn't disagree more. people want fast paced action. That is why the shot clock was brought in. and more will be done to speed up the game. The face off needs to be changed and it wil. within the next few years it will change completely

Don't count on it!

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69282
07/16/14 03:14 PM
07/16/14 03:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't count on it!

We will see but I wouldn't be bringing my kid up to be one dimensional. Have him enjoy the game because when it's not there anymore your other skills need to surface

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69310
07/16/14 04:59 PM
07/16/14 04:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was very surprised to see Casey Powell in Inside Lacrosse this month call for the end of face offs after goals. "I think they should face off at the beginning of each quarter and that's it. The fact that the ball gets stuck in the back of their stick is ridiculous. I think that should be illegal."

I can't say I disagree after seeing some really 1 dimensional players impacting a game greatly when they are only on the field 5 seconds at a time,

Somehow they need to make it more of a 50-50 contest or just give the ball to the team that was scored on.

I saw an indoor league with fast restarts where the goalie goes right into a clear after being scored on. It worked great. The game was a lot faster.

First of all, it is a lost possession if the ball gets stuck in the stick...

Second, if there are 15 face offs in a game, and each one last less than 10 seconds, that is 2.5 minutes of game time associated with a face off...If you were to simply give the ball to the scored upon team, they would have 20 seconds to cross midfield and then 10 more to get in the box (this would bring stalling to a new level) so eliminating that aspect will not make the game faster but will actually make it slower with teams spending twice as much time riding after each goal. eliminating face off will create a slower game with more turnovers.

I completely agree with shot clock, once a team has possession, they have 30 seconds to put a shot on the cage. that will make the game faster....

It takes longer to pull the ball out of the goal, get your FOGO unit on the field and have the refs set up the face off and walk back to midfield than an immediate restart. There are ways to keep the face off relevant, but in a game where you need to dislodge the ball from another player's stick, and the players are very skilled at keeping possession of the ball, it becomes unfair to have such a small part of the game impact the outcome so heavily. I'd love to see the stat of wins vs. losses at the top tier schools when they have a dominant face off winning percentage. I've personally been on the winning and losing sides of the face off game and when our guy completely dominates the other team's face off guy it gets a little awkward.

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69314
07/16/14 05:02 PM
07/16/14 05:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So i f you are down two with less the minute and score your screwed. How many comebacks have been built around winning face offs ? Its not broke, don't fix it

Seems as though more than a few people do think it is broken and limiting the game from advancing to the next level.

There will always be pros and cons but in this case replacing the face off with a fast restart will have more positives than negatives for the game.

So if you're down three and cut it to two with 2 minutes left but lose every face off, you have no chance of coming back either...you make a good point but i think the solution is to make the face off more equitable - they need to figure out how to make it a true ground ball situation, which unfortunately means taking some of the technique out of the process.

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69331
07/16/14 05:42 PM
07/16/14 05:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So i f you are down two with less the minute and score your screwed. How many comebacks have been built around winning face offs ? Its not broke, don't fix it

Seems as though more than a few people do think it is broken and limiting the game from advancing to the next level.

There will always be pros and cons but in this case replacing the face off with a fast restart will have more positives than negatives for the game.

So if you're down three and cut it to two with 2 minutes left but lose every face off, you have no chance of coming back either...you make a good point but i think the solution is to make the face off more equitable - they need to figure out how to make it a true ground ball situation, which unfortunately means taking some of the technique out of the process.

Why? Kids work hard on their technique. Just because some are better than others does not mean everything needs to be changed. Fact is, spectators love to watch the faceoff. Get rid of that and you've got soccer. If you want to keep an exciting part of the game, you leave it alone.

Sponsored Links
Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69334
07/16/14 05:50 PM
07/16/14 05:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FOGO is a valid and sought after position. Colleges are recruiting these kids as early as possible and I suspect they are using those spots wisely...Having a face off does not slow the game in fact makes it more exciting. You can argue that one player is better than another at every position, should we tell the really fast guys to slow down so the other teams middies can catch up? Should we tell the athletic D man he can't play because at 6'4" his reach is 6 inches better than everyone else on the field and its not fair? Or like the other poster said, take out the goalies and play basketball.

Only people that don't like face offs are those that don't have a good fogo...

I dont have a fogo kid, but if I did i would be happy given that people with that skill, win the ground ball by whatever means possible, are a commodity in this market.

For the doomsday guy that apparently has the inside knowledge that the face off is going away, what are you on the rules committee? Get a grip, the growth of this sport like all others will depend on TV deals. Not based upon the speed of the game. So like Hockey, people like to watch the face off and the cameras capture the action very well.

Everyone says its about the "speed of the game" and to a certain extent that is true. So the way to speed up the game is a real shot clock behind both cages or in the box.

But the real growth will only come from TV and that is about watch-ability and enjoyment of watching.... How fast does baseball move? How fast does soccer move? How about football?

No, those sports have grown and are successful, not because there is non stop action, but because they are distributed through TV in a viewer friendly manner.

Scores of 12 to 8 are more than enough and there is no need to tinker with one of the real skill positions in the game. Spend your time and energy figuring out how to get ESPN to do more than 8 college games per year and you will grow the sport without regard to any rule change....

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: LAXER DAD] #69338
07/16/14 06:02 PM
07/16/14 06:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If I have to watch one more soccer game I'll throw up!
KEEP THE FACEOFF!!!!!

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69343
07/16/14 06:20 PM
07/16/14 06:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get a better FOGO! That's what you need to do! It's called a game. You put your best out there, sometimes it doesn't work out.

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69344
07/16/14 06:34 PM
07/16/14 06:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FOGO is a valid and sought after position. Colleges are recruiting these kids as early as possible and I suspect they are using those spots wisely...Having a face off does not slow the game in fact makes it more exciting. You can argue that one player is better than another at every position, should we tell the really fast guys to slow down so the other teams middies can catch up? Should we tell the athletic D man he can't play because at 6'4" his reach is 6 inches better than everyone else on the field and its not fair? Or like the other poster said, take out the goalies and play basketball.

Only people that don't like face offs are those that don't have a good fogo...

I dont have a fogo kid, but if I did i would be happy given that people with that skill, win the ground ball by whatever means possible, are a commodity in this market.

For the doomsday guy that apparently has the inside knowledge that the face off is going away, what are you on the rules committee? Get a grip, the growth of this sport like all others will depend on TV deals. Not based upon the speed of the game. So like Hockey, people like to watch the face off and the cameras capture the action very well.

Everyone says its about the "speed of the game" and to a certain extent that is true. So the way to speed up the game is a real shot clock behind both cages or in the box.

But the real growth will only come from TV and that is about watch-ability and enjoyment of watching.... How fast does baseball move? How fast does soccer move? How about football?

No, those sports have grown and are successful, not because there is non stop action, but because they are distributed through TV in a viewer friendly manner.

Scores of 12 to 8 are more than enough and there is no need to tinker with one of the real skill positions in the game. Spend your time and energy figuring out how to get ESPN to do more than 8 college games per year and you will grow the sport without regard to any rule change....

Great post! We all want the sport to grow. Need to keep it exciting. The breaks for F/O are good for the boys to regroup and good for the spectators to refocus attention. My son is an attackman, but I love to watch the F/O, kind of like a mini wrestling match!

Re: NCAA Face Off Rule Changes [Re: Anonymous] #69347
07/16/14 06:50 PM
07/16/14 06:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It works as long as your son is an attachman on the team that keeps winning these face offs ..otherwise your son might be bored just watching the game played in the other end of the field

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9