BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 24 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 23 24
Re: 2016 Men's College Lacrosse Season D1, D2, and D3
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How do you know? If your kid is not on the team you have no idea. Memories with your teammates is what matters. The brotherhood will last forever.

What is going on at UVA isn't fun or fulfilling in any way to anyone associated with the program. They need to blow it out and start over.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UVA....

What a disaster. Poster child program for early recruiting debacle after debacle. Poorly coached. Seemingly not motivated if body language in the second half is any indicator. This is what happens when you recruit kids early and have been told how wonderful they are since they were 14. They have to blow that thing up and start over.

They're honoring the 2006 NCAA title team before the game next week. I wonder how many of those guys will have the stomach to stay and watch the game against Duke.

Not a result of early recruiting, it's more likely a result of so many talented kids now playing the game . Back in the day all of the elite talent went to the traditional lax schools like UVA, Hopkins,Cuse, Maryland, Hobart, Ivys etc.... In today's game a good amount of the elite talent are choosing non traditional lax schools, resulting in
More of an equal level of talent distributed among many more schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You must be kidding. UVA has recruited well? According to the bloggers, sure. According to the club and prep hype machine, yes. Based on what you see in the program? Absolutely not. The Parcells Rule: evaluate what you can see. This UVA team is smaller, less athletic and has fewer players hungrier to get better now. That reflects 100% on how the coaches recruit an then develop players and a culture in the program. Remember when all UVa middies looked like Emery or Tucker? That wasn't a long time ago. The wheels are completely off now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a kid on the team. I know. When graduating seniors say they have no good memories. Don't want to come back for alumni games and won't respond to communications from the coach. I think that says a lot.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You must be kidding. UVA has recruited well? According to the bloggers, sure. According to the club and prep hype machine, yes. Based on what you see in the program? Absolutely not. The Parcells Rule: evaluate what you can see. This UVA team is smaller, less athletic and has fewer players hungrier to get better now. That reflects 100% on how the coaches recruit an then develop players and a culture in the program. Remember when all UVa middies looked like Emery or Tucker? That wasn't a long time ago. The wheels are completely off now.

Completely disagree. I wouldnt say they are smaller or less athletic at all. Their D is huge and their 1st middie line is as big as any in the ACC, and the attack is normal size and very skilled. Something is wrong with their schemes and game plans They just dont look prepared for games sometimes and other times they look like they can beat anyone. They do have wins over Hop and Cuse so its not like the season is a complete disaster but after yesterday you do have to step back and wonder what is going on. Game might be passing Dom by, maybe time for him to ride off into the sunset. New blood might be just what that program needs.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well if you have a kid on the team then you know the inner demons of the program. Congratulations on having a son graduating from a premier American university. He will likely get a great, well paying job. He may even have to attribute that to a UVA lax alumni. He will be OK, and eventually, those horror stories will diminish and become warm memories.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's the most fabulous assessment of a team that's won ONE game in the ACC since these seniors started in the program. Sure players have comraderie with each other and have gained friendships. But when you've worn that uniform for 4 years and the program has done absolutely nothing in the sport as a program that isn't a very good feeling for anyone. Sure, alumni events are fun. Sure, the alums are supportive of the players and will help them with job searches. That's what the guys do. But this program is an empty shell of what it once was. Saying they have some good players is no different now than saying Towson has some guys who can play. It doesn't mean anything.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Was in the military, wore the uniform, had some God awful experiences, to put it in perspective, I talk to the guys to this day, always laugh about how awful it was, how hard the days and nights were, but at the end of the day, happy we did it and wouldn't have wanted it any other way. They will say the same.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Military ain't for everyone. I wish I had the balls back in the day to do it. Kudos to you sir. Boys have to realize you are giving them 5 yrs after you graduate.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
any word on the new NCAA policy on Satellite camps for football and if that rule applies to lacrosse.

Essentially the NCAA said prospect camps for a school can only be on campus. Representatives for a school can not be in attendance at another schools camp or cant hold a camp off campus.

Where can we get some clarification

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a kid on the team. I know. When graduating seniors say they have no good memories. Don't want to come back for alumni games and won't respond to communications from the coach. I think that says a lot.

Maybe the Seniors are the problem? Sorry Dad, but teams that win have Senior leadership. Ask Villanova.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
any word on the new NCAA policy on Satellite camps for football and if that rule applies to lacrosse.

Essentially the NCAA said prospect camps for a school can only be on campus. Representatives for a school can not be in attendance at another schools camp or cant hold a camp off campus.

Where can we get some clarification

That is an excellent question. Does this mean no coaches at NLF which was disguised as a 'teaching camp' or a 'pre-recruiting event'. Can lacrosse coaches wiggle and find a loophole? With history as a guide they have been very good to find ways around things.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's the most fabulous assessment of a team that's won ONE game in the ACC since these seniors started in the program. Sure players have comraderie with each other and have gained friendships. But when you've worn that uniform for 4 years and the program has done absolutely nothing in the sport as a program that isn't a very good feeling for anyone. Sure, alumni events are fun. Sure, the alums are supportive of the players and will help them with job searches. That's what the guys do. But this program is an empty shell of what it once was. Saying they have some good players is no different now than saying Towson has some guys who can play. It doesn't mean anything.

Not sure what the Towson reference is, they're ranked #9 and UVA is unranked... Here's the difference, UVA has been recruiting 20 year old freshman hold backs and 9th graders for a while now. It's not panning out. Kids who've been playing down for years are getting their worlds rocked when they have to play up against grown men, and the superstar 9th graders are not the superstar college freshmen. Think they are missing on recruits more often than not. Do a little research on these top rated kids in each grade from a few years ago, see how many have become All-Americans? See how many are even still playing or playing at the school that recruited them. I think you'd be surprised at the results.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure what the Towson reference is, they're ranked #9 and UVA is unranked... Here's the difference, UVA has been recruiting 20 year old freshman hold backs and 9th graders for a while now. It's not panning out. Kids who've been playing down for years are getting their worlds rocked when they have to play up against grown men, and the superstar 9th graders are not the superstar college freshmen. Think they are missing on recruits more often than not. Do a little research on these top rated kids in each grade from a few years ago, see how many have become All-Americans? See how many are even still playing or playing at the school that recruited them. I think you'd be surprised at the results.

I wouldn't be surprised at the results at all!! Any college coach that gives a verbal commitment to and 8th/9th grade star is IMO totally crazy, especially if the kid is a holdback. At this age a year or two in age can really make a kid look bigger/faster/stronger but that does not translate into a super athlete. All that means is a kid is beating up on younger kids. I seriously don't get it, I guess maybe some coaches will decide it isn't worth it when they lose their jobs because of poor recruiting decisions

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wouldn't be surprised at the results at all!! Any college coach that gives a verbal commitment to and 8th/9th grade star is IMO totally crazy, especially if the kid is a holdback. At this age a year or two in age can really make a kid look bigger/faster/stronger but that does not translate into a super athlete. All that means is a kid is beating up on younger kids. I seriously don't get it, I guess maybe some coaches will decide it isn't worth it when they lose their jobs because of poor recruiting decisions

I'd be shocked if we don't see a few major Coaching vacancies this year. A retirement or two, and a firing or two. Needs to happen.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd be shocked if we don't see a few major Coaching vacancies this year. A retirement or two, and a firing or two. Needs to happen.

Clearly Starsia and Breschi have to go. Virginia looked awful against Duke today, and Carolina got embarrassed by Cuse yesterday. With the talent both of those schools are able to attract they should be in the thick of it every year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Clearly Starsia and Breschi have to go. Virginia looked awful against Duke today, and Carolina got embarrassed by Cuse yesterday. With the talent both of those schools are able to attract they should be in the thick of it every year.

That's the issue, the talent is not what they thought it would be.. Too many other kids out there, just as talented and more so. Look at Penn State, on par with MD and HOP, took both to one goal games. Rutgers on the rise. That never would have happened just 3 or 4 years ago. Just wait, 3 or 4 years from now things will be all over the place. You'll see many more old guard teams other than Virginia unranked. It's going to happen. You will see more Ives, CAA, NEC and America East teams in the top 20.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's the issue, the talent is not what they thought it would be.. Too many other kids out there, just as talented and more so. Look at Penn State, on par with MD and HOP, took both to one goal games. Rutgers on the rise. That never would have happened just 3 or 4 years ago. Just wait, 3 or 4 years from now things will be all over the place. You'll see many more old guard teams other than Virginia unranked. It's going to happen. You will see more Ives, CAA, NEC and America East teams in the top 20.

I agree with you that the talent pool is much larger and parity is here to stay and we will definitely see different teams having success in the future. However I think UVA, UNC, etc will always have a leg up due to the conference and their great institutions. I think the UNC and UVA rosters are loaded with talent, I think their coaching is lacking and there needs to be a change at both schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This UVA team looks like an Ace Adams UVA team from the 1980s. No heart, no fight. Dom needs to go.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UVA lacrosse: what a spectacular disaster. From an early recruiting poster child for the worse to a program that keeps pointing to good effort and patches of seeming competitive in games they are losing.

Time for a coaching change and a total culture and attitude change in that program. This is the low.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
USA not the same since the young assistant left. What was his name, Walker?
UVA lacrosse: what a spectacular disaster. From an early recruiting poster child for the worse to a program that keeps pointing to good effort and patches of seeming competitive in games they are losing.

Time for a coaching change and a total culture and attitude change in that program. This is the low.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UVA*

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Although early recruiting might be some of the problem there, I dont think thats the whole story. I think your more on the mark with the coaching change. They are an ACC program that expects to compete every year for an ACC title and final four appearance, dont expect to see them stop the early recruiting unless there is a rule change.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
StonyBrook and Albany upset in the semis of the America East tourney.......

Stonybrook will not get an at large bid, Albany is on the bubble...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gotta love Rutgers beating Hop! So many top recruits going to Hop over the years and this is the outcome?? Keep up the great recruiting strategy. Really working for you?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gotta love Rutgers beating Hop! So many top recruits going to Hop over the years and this is the outcome?? Keep up the great recruiting strategy. Really working for you?

To be fair, Hop went to the final four last year and came within a butt end save of going to OT in the semis with Maryland. They will make the tourney again this year and have the talent to beat anyone. Rutgers is improved and their goalie stood on his head last night. I get your point about the early recruiting but I dont think that stands up here with Hop. Drexel is a notorious late recruiter and how does that work out for them? Denver is a notorious early recruiter and how is that going for them? I understand the backlash against early recruiting but lets deal in reality.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So much for Long Island college lacrosse

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The last national championships have all been won by teams that recruit early. Apparently early recruiting works, sorry your son didnt get recruited early but those are the facts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lol always have to go with your son must of not been recruited early. Absolute loser with that response. Get a new one. Did I say early recruiting? Einstein I said top recruits. With all so called top players going to these schools they shouldn't be losing as much as they do. Fact!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

To be fair, Hop went to the final four last year and came within a butt end save of going to OT in the semis with Maryland. They will make the tourney again this year and have the talent to beat anyone. Rutgers is improved and their goalie stood on his head last night. I get your point about the early recruiting but I dont think that stands up here with Hop. Drexel is a notorious late recruiter and how does that work out for them? Denver is a notorious early recruiter and how is that going for them? I understand the backlash against early recruiting but lets deal in reality.

To be even more fair, last year was Hop's only FF in the last decade and they needed no small miracle late season run to even make the NCAA tournament. Then they got the gift of playing their round one game against UVA, the ER train wreck poster child. If you coach a program like Hop or UVA and can't be competitive to be in or near a FF each year, something is off. Denver is off the charts because their coaching staff recognizes Canadian and Native talent and they have the admissions office latitude to recruit that way. Or am I not dealing with reality?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loyola's championship team was the MIAA leftovers group. Denver didn't win with ER last year. The Denver recruits early narrative is a bit of a myth --- they can roster 80 if they wanted. Title IX room up the wazoo at Denver. So taking 5-7 kids early in the 2018 class for example does not constitute a big chunk of the flexibility Tierney has. Denver wins with 5-7 Canadian ringers, the few Native kids they can get through admissions and then make due with the US kids who can adapt to a quick box style QUICKLY to fill their lines out. Most US kids don't "get it" quickly to play the game fast with a shallow pocket where carrying the ball is a sin. The ones who do become fabulous college players at Denver. None of that owes any credit at all to early recruiting.

Sorry if you think your son being recruited in 8th grade imputes that he will be an exceptional college player. We are all seeing now this is not nearly as high a correlation as people believed a year or two ago. Hopkins is not demonstrably more skilled, athletic or loaded with lacrosse IQ over Rutgers now. They lost twice to Rutgers and neither game was a fluke. And Rutgers is not a top 10 team this year. Deal with it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

To be even more fair, last year was Hop's only FF in the last decade and they needed no small miracle late season run to even make the NCAA tournament. Then they got the gift of playing their round one game against UVA, the ER train wreck poster child. If you coach a program like Hop or UVA and can't be competitive to be in or near a FF each year, something is off. Denver is off the charts because their coaching staff recognizes Canadian and Native talent and they have the admissions office latitude to recruit that way. Or am I not dealing with reality?

Don't make sense, there is no place for that here !

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loyola's championship team was the MIAA leftovers group. Denver didn't win with ER last year. The Denver recruits early narrative is a bit of a myth --- they can roster 80 if they wanted. Title IX room up the wazoo at Denver. So taking 5-7 kids early in the 2018 class for example does not constitute a big chunk of the flexibility Tierney has. Denver wins with 5-7 Canadian ringers, the few Native kids they can get through admissions and then make due with the US kids who can adapt to a quick box style QUICKLY to fill their lines out. Most US kids don't "get it" quickly to play the game fast with a shallow pocket where carrying the ball is a sin. The ones who do become fabulous college players at Denver. None of that owes any credit at all to early recruiting.

Sorry if you think your son being recruited in 8th grade imputes that he will be an exceptional college player. We are all seeing now this is not nearly as high a correlation as people believed a year or two ago. Hopkins is not demonstrably more skilled, athletic or loaded with lacrosse IQ over Rutgers now. They lost twice to Rutgers and neither game was a fluke. And Rutgers is not a top 10 team this year. Deal with it.

Question, does JH program have latitude in acceptance if recruit doesn't meet grade standards? Could this be a reason why some of the powerhouse programs ie UVA,JH and some others are not as dominant at they used to be? I know in football a great deal of flexibility is given at the big time programs, was wondering if this exists on the lax field .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Question, does JH program have latitude in acceptance if recruit doesn't meet grade standards? Could this be a reason why some of the powerhouse programs ie UVA,JH and some others are not as dominant at they used to be? I know in football a great deal of flexibility is given at the big time programs, was wondering if this exists on the lax field .

But explain the Ivy's then....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hop and UVA coaches have a lot of latitude with admissions at their respective schools. Lax is the only sport of any real measure at Hop, and If a recruit misses admissions, the academic record would need to be poor. UVA is a big enough university (13.5K undergrads) that sports recruit preferences are pretty material there as well. Bottom line, lax is also a sport wherein the demographic is more toward the prep school strata were kids in the sport tend to be on the higher side of academic quality versus football or men's basketball at big scholarship schools.

The relative blight at Hop and UVA over the last few years is not the fault of these coaches not having all that is asked for. Both programs have plainly recruited too early and too poorly and this is starting to show up. For every Shack or Tinney seems to be half a dozen whiffs. Hop and UVa have less depth and athleticism than any other ACC or B1G program now, with the possible exception of UNC...the 3rd ER horseman.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hop and UVA coaches have a lot of latitude with admissions at their respective schools. Lax is the only sport of any real measure at Hop, and If a recruit misses admissions, the academic record would need to be poor. UVA is a big enough university (13.5K undergrads) that sports recruit preferences are pretty material there as well. Bottom line, lax is also a sport wherein the demographic is more toward the prep school strata were kids in the sport tend to be on the higher side of academic quality versus football or men's basketball at big scholarship schools.

The relative blight at Hop and UVA over the last few years is not the fault of these coaches not having all that is asked for. Both programs have plainly recruited too early and too poorly and this is starting to show up. For every Shack or Tinney seems to be half a dozen whiffs. Hop and UVa have less depth and athleticism than any other ACC or B1G program now, with the possible exception of UNC...the 3rd ER horseman.

Maryland seems to do ok and they are one of the most blatant early recruiters. I really dont see ER as the culprit with UVA, they are plenty talented and plenty athletic, I think the game has passed Starsia by and a change needs to be made there. I think the same can be said for UNC who routinely disappoints in the tournament. JHU is a head scratcher, Petro is an excellent coach and they are Hop so they can attract any recruit they want, so I really dont understand whats going on there. ER is some of the issue but not the whole story.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Never said I agree or identify with early recruiting, I just think its a way overblown issue. I find the people screaming the loudest are the ones whose sons did not get recruited early. My son was not recruited early, nor did he deserve to be but I dont understand why people want to blame ER for some of the plights of the bigger teams but its just not based in any fact or reality. ER is a relatively new phenomenon and some of these teams have been struggling for years. UNC hasnt been to a final four in forever and JHU has been to one in the last 8 years. The reality as it is today is that all the top teams recruit early, some are successful, some arent, its that simple.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Never said I agree or identify with early recruiting, I just think its a way overblown issue. I find the people screaming the loudest are the ones whose sons did not get recruited early. My son was not recruited early, nor did he deserve to be but I dont understand why people want to blame ER for some of the plights of the bigger teams but its just not based in any fact or reality. ER is a relatively new phenomenon and some of these teams have been struggling for years. UNC hasnt been to a final four in forever and JHU has been to one in the last 8 years. The reality as it is today is that all the top teams recruit early, some are successful, some arent, its that simple.

ER is good for some players ..and bad for others.. Hit or miss and probably doesnt effect a program that much, maybe some. I just think it is wrong and hope NCAA changes it to at least 10 grade minimum.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting to note that Petro was interviewed by Carc last year and went on and on about how he watches as much film as he can find on opposing teams & players over and over. He can never prepare enough for a game this way. But then he goes blank answering why he offers a kid just out of 8th grade based on a few 20 minute halves of club lacrosse. At least he was honest with the answer (or non answer). ER seems to be like betting all you've got every time with just two hole cards known. Even if some coaches have a great eye for talent, the probabilities math just renders the bets to be impossible to sustain over a long period. Why decline having the most info? I believe that Petro could easily call committed juniors before their senior year and fill out a class from scratch rather easily. Mid major schools can't pull that off, but Hop, UVA, UNC, Cuse all could. So why don't they? That's the question nobody has a great answer to.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting to note that Petro was interviewed by Carc last year and went on and on about how he watches as much film as he can find on opposing teams & players over and over. He can never prepare enough for a game this way. But then he goes blank answering why he offers a kid just out of 8th grade based on a few 20 minute halves of club lacrosse. At least he was honest with the answer (or non answer). ER seems to be like betting all you've got every time with just two hole cards known. Even if some coaches have a great eye for talent, the probabilities math just renders the bets to be impossible to sustain over a long period. Why decline having the most info? I believe that Petro could easily call committed juniors before their senior year and fill out a class from scratch rather easily. Mid major schools can't pull that off, but Hop, UVA, UNC, Cuse all could. So why don't they? That's the question nobody has a great answer to.

When it comes to the top teams like Hop, UVA, Maryland, etc, its simply a numbers game. They scoop up as many "top" kids as possible and hope they work out. If not they keep reloading every year. It seems to be working because the same teams are in the final four seemingly every season. Granted there is always a suprise or two, from the Ivies or the Patriot, but come memorial day its the usual suspects in the final four. Maryland in particular seems to do pretty well in the ER game. I think if the system changes and they restrict contact until a kids JR year, you wont see much change, the same schools will still get the top kids. Also you cant discount the role the club scene has had on recruiting as well. If you dont think clubs are pushing certain kids on these programs your fooling yourself.

Page 10 of 24 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard