BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 20 of 220 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
BEWARE,,, to town...Just heard several travel teams are entered in Lax for backpacks. wheather this is actually true or not would have to be confirmed by them , Boys have travel teams entered.

Seriously ,why not have someone in charge of the 2016 team step up to raise money for the lax for backpacks, play a friendly game in what would be a nice fundraiser.Not stirring the pot but I cannot understand why both teams would not jump at the chance.

They specifically only want town teams in this tournament. They don't want travel clubs running up the scores on all the other teams entered. This is not a destination, big name club tournament by any stretch, it is meant to keep local town teams active in the summer and the organizers told me that they only want town teams.
It appears that Team Elevate has teams playing in the tournament.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whenever you say any top gun team one thing always comes to mind, wanna be

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Keep up the hard work someday you guys will win a significant tournament at one of the ages and be able to claim to have won a national title. I hear the 2019 team has an excellent chance at being that team and with the new coaches coming in will be the obvious top team in that organization.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Keep up the hard work someday you guys will win a significant tournament at one of the ages and be able to claim to have won a national title. I hear the 2019 team has an excellent chance at being that team and with the new coaches coming in will be the obvious top team in that organization.

Are you talking about new coaches for TG 2019 or YJ 2019? There's so much talk about both programs here, it's hard to keep up some time. I'm just wondering about TG 2019, for my daughter's sake. Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have also heard that 2019 TG may be getting a new coach, although it was just rumor and knowing the coach I doubt what I heard is the truth.Just have to waitand see.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have also heard that 2019 TG may be getting a new coach, although it was just rumor and knowing the coach I doubt what I heard is the truth.Just have to waitand see.

Would you happen to know anything about the 2017 TG teams? My friend's daughter is trying out for 2017 black. Just wondering if you had any insight, since it seems like you're involved with TG. Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2017 team is okay not that good. Kids seem to be a nice group but not very competitive yet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They had a good season. This summer team was stronger than last year's team. They picked up some very good players this season and suspect that with each season they will keep getting better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter is a 2nd year player for 2017 black and I agree, this year was exciting! The new additions performed well, the girls seem to jell better. Still need to pass the ball and use the cage more and I suspect a few may be moved to purple although they didn't do too bad either, good luck to your daughter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No offense but not exactly a ringing endorsement.If your kid is a competitive 2017 player look elsewhere

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No offense but not exactly a ringing endorsement.If your kid is a competitive 2017 player look elsewhere

My daughters are not on this team but I have watched this team play a few games this year. Certain age groups the TG are very strong and a couple are building to get there. This teams looks to be a decent foundation and I expect with the addition of a few good players, would be very competitive. My thinking is TG is attracting new talent every year and every year each team is getting stronger and stronger. With more established teams and clubs, sometimes even talent can't bust through the politics. This team is a good oppurtunity for a talented girl to get in and get established. When TG first started it was a ground floor opportunity, but the teams are becoming more and more established each year making it harder and harder to make or keep a spot on the roster.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't fool yourself TG has as much politics at play as any other club. Kids with connections make the top teams, kids that pay extra for private lessons get preference etc..Watch 2019 and see if certain 2020 kids stay with the black team while true 2019 kids who deserve to be on black but have no connections are put on purple.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Girls did well. Always had winning record at every tournament whether they went 4-2, 5-1 or undefeated. Good group of talented girls that need to be developed more. Overall great season and only getting stronger.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All purple teams struggled not very competitive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Saw M&D Black take them down 16-0 at CNC, it didn't look good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
when talking 2017 wont it be interesting when the clubs that do not entertain teams over 8th grade level have their players move to TG?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It would be great to have some additional talent tryout for Top Guns to keep building this young program. I believe with each year this program will improve because of the coaching and respect shown to the girls. Shannon, Andrew and Bill Smith are absolutely great to work with.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shannon Smith - Head Coach at Hofstra...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree this team is not that far off from being a really good team.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Confirmed - story to be made available shortly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not trying to be a jerk just curious.The three coaches you mention , do any have any coaching experience. Do not know Bill Smiths background but has he been a successful coach , Andrew is still college age , has he had much coaching experience with girls programs as he is the only college age man I have seen around coaching girls travel lacrosse.Obviously everyone knows shannons playing career but as a coach I am curious to see where she ends up.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
WLAX : Smith Named as Ninth Women's Head Coach

Hempstead, NY – Shannon Smith, a three-time first-team lacrosse All-American who is among the most decorated players in the sport, will return to her native Long Island to become head coach of Hofstra University’s women’s lacrosse team, Vice President and Director of Athletics Jeffrey A. Hathaway announced today.

Smith becomes the ninth head coach in the history of the Hofstra women’s lacrosse program, replacing Abby Morgan who resigned after six seasons at the helm.

“I am extremely excited that Shannon Smith is joining the Hofstra University family as our head women’s lacrosse coach,” commented Hathaway.

“Shannon’s strong ties in the Long Island lacrosse community, combined with her superior leadership ability, extremely competitive nature, and extensive playing experience at the highest level, will be a tremendous asset as we work to develop Hofstra women’s lacrosse into a nationally-recognized elite program. She is very committed to academic success, understands the overall development of student-athletes during their college experience and clearly supports giving back to the community.

“After speaking with numerous highly-respected coaches, athletic administrators and others associated with the women’s lacrosse world about our search for a new head coach, it became evident to me that Shannon possesses outstanding credibility and credentials in the sport and is the perfect fit for Hofstra University,” continued Hathaway.

Smith said she is excited to start her tenure at Hofstra.

“I am extremely thankful to Hofstra President Stuart Rabinowitz and Vice President and Director of Athletics Jeff Hathaway for giving me the opportunity to lead the Hofstra women's lacrosse program," said Smith. “Hofstra is a phenomenal institution that strives for excellence in academics and athletics and I look forward to helping provide our student-athletics with a great experience in the classroom, on the playing field and in the community.

“It is an honor and a privilege to be put in a position to return home to Long Island and build a program that will be very competitive and successful in the near future. The lacrosse facilities and resources in place at Hofstra are amongst the best in the nation and combined with the great academic climate and beautiful campus I am confident the future is bright for the Hofstra women’s lacrosse program.

“I can’t thank Dr. Phillips (Dr. James Phillips, Northwestern University's Director of Athletics & Recreation) and Kelly (Kelly Amonte Hiller, Northwestern University’s Head Women’s Lacrosse Coach) enough for their support and guidance over the last four-plus years,” continued Smith. “The entire Northwestern family has been very supportive of the women’s lacrosse program there and it certainly assisted in my development as a player, person and coach.”

Smith recently completed a four-year playing career at Northwestern. Among her many highlights included winning three NCAA titles, earning three first team All-American honors (2010, 2011, 2012) and capturing the 2011 Tewaaraton (presented annually to the NCAA women's and men's lacrosse player of the year) and lacrosse Honda (recognized as the top collegiate female athlete in her sport, and the award is considered by many as one of the highest honors a female college athlete can receive in the nation) Awards.

Smith is very adept at the business side of lacrosse as well. Since 2009, she has served as a director with Long Island Top Guns girls lacrosse club. Smith has assisted with every aspect of the club and helped organize and coach a training program for over 300 players. From managing the business side of the club to coaching teams, Smith has played a vital role in the development of one of the top club programs in the area. Through her work with Long Island Top Guns, Smith manages a total of four camps, while overseeing a staff of over 20 people.

This past June Smith coached the North squad at the 2012 Under Armour All-America Lacrosse Classic.

Smith’s immense experience at the highest level of lacrosse continues with her extensive US Lacrosse career. Just this past weekend, she was named to the roster for the 2012-14 U.S. women’s national senior team. This group will serve as the training team pool for the team that will defend Team USA's 2009 gold medal at the 2013 Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL) World Cup in Oshawa, Ontario. Smith also was part of the 2011-12 U.S. women’s national training team and the 2007 U.S. women’s national under-19 team. As a member of the U-19 squad, she helped lead the team to the Gold Medal at the 2007 World Cup.

A key player on three teams that captured NCAA titles at Northwestern (2009, 2011, 2012), Smith was the Most Outstanding Player of the 2011 and 2012 Championships. During her career, she scored 58 points in the NCAA Tournament to rank second all-time in that category.

Smith is not defined solely by her postseason honors and awards, though, as she totaled 254 goals, 108 assists and 362 points during her career. Her goals total ranks first all-time in program history, while she is second all-time in points and third in assists. Her 86 goals in 2011 are a single-season record for the Northwestern program. In addition, she ranks eighth all-time in NCAA Division I women’s lacrosse in points and ninth in goals.

She played in 91 games during her career at Northwestern, adding 118 draw controls, 85 ground balls and 28 caused turnovers. Smith had 19 game-winning goals during her career and her 2011 season was her most prolific with 86 goals, 42 assists, 128 points, 39 draw controls, 25 ground balls and eight caused turnovers.

Smith has done charitable work in the Long Island community as well. She is actively involved with the Friends of Jacyln Foundation and Our Lady of Grace Garden. She also helped lead a group of counselors at the South Bay Elementary School (West Babylon, New [lacrosse]) Lacrosse Camp to raise $6,500 towards the reconstruction of the school after a fire.

A native of West Babylon, New [lacrosse], Smith attended West Babylon High School where she was a six-time letter-winner and was a member of the varsity squad starting in seventh grade. Smith was one of the top scholastic lacrosse players to ever come out of Long Island as she had 729 points on 505 goals and 224 assists during her career. Both the points and goals totals are New [lacrosse] state records as is her 129 goals in 2006.

Smith received her bachelor of science in liberal arts, with a major in economics and minor in business institutions program, from Northwestern.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It would be great to have some additional talent tryout for Top Guns to keep building this young program. I believe with each year this program will improve because of the coaching and respect shown to the girls. Shannon, Andrew and Bill Smith are absolutely great to work with.

No coaching experience

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No coaching experience

And yet the club is doing great with happy kids and parents and Shannon just got the Head Coaching job at Hofstra. Seems pretty good so far. Gonna try and buzz kill aren't ya.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

No coaching experience

Except within TG (that I know of) and I had no complaints.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

Any thoughts on how the Hofstra gig might affect Top Guns? At least it keeps her local, as opposed to getting a job at some school out of state...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hopefully, my daughter makes the 2017 black team, and turns out to be a solid contributor. Would like to see her grow with the team, into a real top team in a few years! Thanks for the feedback on the team and program!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't fool yourself TG has as much politics at play as any other club. Kids with connections make the top teams, kids that pay extra for private lessons get preference etc..Watch 2019 and see if certain 2020 kids stay with the black team while true 2019 kids who deserve to be on black but have no connections are put on purple.

No doubt there are politics there, but the club, teams and players are new and the politics aren't as deep as some other clubs (yet). Don't understand the 2019 2020 comment, next year all the 2020 kids will fall down an age group and 19's will move along.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MD beat the 16-0 that is really really far off

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Any thoughts on how the Hofstra gig might affect Top Guns? At least it keeps her local, as opposed to getting a job at some school out of state...

I think this is terrible news for the program. The reason why is that I truly feel she will be way over her head in coaching a D1 program. With all that it requires she will have no time for Top Guns. Many people came to TG because of SS. Now I think many will leave because she won't be there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think this is terrible news for the program. The reason why is that I truly feel she will be way over her head in coaching a D1 program. With all that it requires she will have no time for Top Guns. Many people came to TG because of SS. Now I think many will leave because she won't be there.
Go to bed CR!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

TG 2019 Black only lost two of thirty games this year, lost to YJ 2018 Blue in semi-finals at National Draw and lost to Hero's 2019 in semi-final at Club National Championships by one goal in a poorly officiated game, beat M&D and Skywalkers the only times they played!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

First and foremost, congratulations to Coach Smith for landing the role at Hofstra. All of our insiders report that she demonstrated a vision for the Pride program that was a step beyond all other applicants.

That said, the fact is that she will be the youngest women's head coach in all of NCAA Division I sports. She takes the role without any collegiate assistant coaching experience and will need to rely heavily on her on-field leadership and coaching experience with the Top Guns.

Despite positive public reports that she has given, there is a ton of work to do at Hofstra as the women's program substantially missed the mark this year. Since the elimination of the football program, athletic donations are down roughly 30% and the lacrosse program is being strained to carry the load.

So, why might Hofstra have made this unorthodox head coaching selection? Does the University want to draw more women's players from the local area? Is the University tired of losing press pages to Stonybrook's program under Joe Spallina this season? Is the in-coming Athletic Director trying to assert a new direction by taking new coaches who might be more malleable?

Here's the bottom line. Hofstra's women's program is at least two recruiting seasons away from being a serious force in the NCAA Division I world again. That is nearly a lifetime in college athletics.

Undoubtedly, the selection of Smith must be a longer term play to help the program through the transition period. The question is whether Smith will have the stomach to put in three years or more dealing with a team in transition.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

TG 2019 Black only lost two of thirty games this year, lost to YJ 2018 Blue in semi-finals at National Draw and lost to Hero's 2019 in semi-final at Club National Championships by one goal in a poorly officiated game, beat M&D and Skywalkers the only times they played!
Also beat plenty of 2018 teams over the summer, including playoff wins!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why does everything always go back to CR she did not write that! You go to bed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Also beat plenty of 2018 teams over the summer, including playoff wins!

They were talking about 2017 not 2019. But agreed 2019 is a solid team just like 2018, had a very similar first year. 18's dropped a bunch of players to 19's after the first year but picked up some nice additions and had a strong season. The 19's will be doing the same this year and I would imagine will have a good second season like the18's. 17's not at that high level yet, but I expect them to get there within a year or two. I know of a couple parents talking about daughters trying out for 17 who would make an immediate impact, but that's just talk at this point.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2017 Black should move a few defenders to purple, they seemed much less aggressive than their teammates. Offense was solid for the most part-again, they need to mix the teams up and move the ball like they do on the older teams. Once they eliminate the clicky buddies and mix up the attack/mid lines the girls will be untouchable. Very aggressive and fast, should try different girls at the draw. Very coachable and respectful, great group of parents getting to know each other. If you're coming from the north shore/east end the practices are in West Babylon and it only takes 20/25 minutes to get to the field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The 2020 girls SHOULD stay down to play with their own age group!!! Since there will be a team at their age there would be no reason for them to move up with the 2019 team!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When did you play MD

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No doubt there are politics there, but the club, teams and players are new and the politics aren't as deep as some other clubs (yet). Don't understand the 2019 2020 comment, next year all the 2020 kids will fall down an age group and 19's will move along.

Do Not Bet On It. Politics will come into play and the favorites will get to pick where they play and will not be able to resist the allure of saying they play up.

Like Reply Quote
Page 20 of 220 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 219 220
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard