BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 77 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 76 77
Re: High School Lax Boys
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One pretty sure way to find out if your student/athlete is taking/smoking/snorting/injecting a drug, just go to your local pharmacy/CVS/Rite aid etc.... buy a drug kit. Then wake them up one early Saturday or Sunday morning and have them pee in the cup. May not be 100% accurate but you will get a good idea!
Or do you really want to know!
The choice is OURS.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by America's Game
Ok I think we have gone on with this topic long enough. Lets get back to high school lacrosse. This situation is truly an unfortunate one. Everyone involved has suffered, the players, the parents, the coaches, the AD, the school, and community. Garden City has a decorated lacrosse history and an event like this should not tarnish or completely destroy what they have accomplished in the past and going forward. All that we as lacrosse enthusiasts can do is hope that everything settles down and not forget there are other players who are still playing and they need the support of their community.

May I add that this is not unique to GC. We live very nice area, great school district, decent lax program. The drinking and pot smoking are out of control, you have no idea. The ones who are really bad, are the girls, 14-15 year olds drinking themselves into oblivion, passing out and puking. You can't even imagine, there's going to be a tragedy...

It is this way in most districts, mine included. I know my son has a couple beers, and does not drive while doing so . I'm ok with that. Luckily he takes after me and does not care for the other stuff. Although some lax buddies do. Not my business. Somehow they get out on the field and nail it. Just like Wall Street!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Present Roster: Duke-Princeton-Brown-Bucknell-Maryland-Binghamton-Hobart-Franklin&Marshall-Lafayette-Holy Cross-Furman-Scranton ......

I know everything about the game and how it works. The sign of a good coach is not only getting the ones who stand on their own and are the best on the team into decent colleges but the second and third tier players. List where all these kids are attending these elite schools. Except for Harvard which was established a few years back not many others are there. He throws away those kids like garbage and moves on to the next. 5-6 kids tops go to what you would call top elite schools. The rest fight for spots on their own at a D3 school. More than 60% if they are still playing are at D3 schools. If the didnt play for fl$ or EXPRESS Orange they are on their own. How many are going to Harvard next year ?? Or any other top tier team ? Not counting those who are taking a detour either which is becoming the norm at GC

Spoken like a true disgruntled parent who thought that their kid was entitled to a lacrosse scholarship of some sort because they live and played on a GC team. Nothing wrong with playing D2 or D3. Not everyone has D1 talent and lets all face it, after four years of college no one is making a career out of lacrosse unless they go into the teaching profession and coach at a MS or HS.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thats more like the GC we all know. Crush a much weaker team. Up 11-3 at half 13-3 after 3rd and stick another 4 goals in the 4th.

Now that is a coach who is teaching the kids the right thing to do. Great sportsmanship. But then again it is GC and that is what they made all the scoring records from running up the score on much weaker teams

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting perspective..I guess if he went out and played to keep it close,that would be better. Actually, if he had spotted them 10 in an 11 game that would really have been better. Whatever..

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's not a much weaker team and this is HS not PAL. I'm sure the starters weren't in during 4th quarter. Look at rest of scores in Newsday. This is what happens in conference play. You blame coach for losing. Blame coach for winning by too much. Blame the coach for kids bad behavior. Lot of responsibility and critisism for six grand and a sweatshirt!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thats more like the GC we all know. Crush a much weaker team. Up 11-3 at half 13-3 after 3rd and stick another 4 goals in the 4th.

Now that is a coach who is teaching the kids the right thing to do. Great sportsmanship. But then again it is GC and that is what they made all the scoring records from running up the score on much weaker teams

Wow... this guy (HC) can't win with anyone on here... boys go on trip, and warned and told rules beforehand, break the rules, get caught, get disciplined. Apparently on this board though, its all the HC's fault, and he should be fired.

Now, missing 5 players, and undoubtedly playing some kids who haven't seen a lot of time, has some success on the field against "weaker" teams, and is now criticized for it - as once again, of course its all his fault - no sportsmanship...

we are talking about high school kids, and a high school lacrosse coach/teacher.

If these were students on a school sanctioned field trip, and the same thing happened do you fire the teachers/chaperones on the trip who caught them and made them face the consequences of their actions? Of course not - they're doing their job

He is a HC of a high school team and a teacher. All the extra time he puts in outside of school, and on the field is his own time that he is putting in for the kids. He is not a professionally paid coach. All the criticisms of his interpersonal skills, his perceived heavy handedness, or criticisms of his association with a youth program sound like petty, personal, vindictive attacks from someone who feels like they (yes, you little johnnys dad) were given a raw deal...

Everyone needs to calm down

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Watch the tape, all 14 starters sat half of the 3rd quarter and the whole 4th quarter, Next time should they go to the PAL 3-pass rule when they are up by 5 goals?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the naive, thick headed coach defender...Um...he IS a PAID coach and coaching is his profession. So he may not be coaching a professional team but he Is in fact a coaching professional. Get back to work or to school guy. Clearly your education is incomplete or was lacking to start...whatever institutions are responsible for you I'm sure would not be pounding their chest in pride of you as their product.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the naive, thick headed coach defender...Um...he IS a PAID coach and coaching is his profession. So he may not be coaching a professional team but he Is in fact a coaching professional. Get back to work or to school guy. Clearly your education is incomplete or was lacking to start...whatever institutions are responsible for you I'm sure would not be pounding their chest in pride of you as their product.

Plus GC HC is an arrogant arrogant arrogant person

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]

It is this way in most districts, mine included. I know my son has a couple beers, and does not drive while doing so . I'm ok with that. Luckily he takes after me and does not care for the other stuff. Although some lax buddies do. Not my business. Somehow they get out on the field and nail it. Just like Wall Street!

quite possibly the most inane statement I've ever read from a parent about his underage drinking child. way to go dad...i can see a dad of the year award in your future as your son leaves rehab with his wall street buddies

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I guess you're right... he is making his living on the $5k he gets paid to be a coach. Not the salary he earns as a teacher. Glad you're on top of things. My bad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As of yesterday; all involved players kicked off of team.. A one week school suspension was handed down. One known commit spot has been designated as "vacated" by that university.

Status of HC and AD unknown.

Coach reported to be "crying" as he informed his players of the situation at practice.

The HC must take the brunt of the responsibility in this case. Yes, parents should have could have done better and are suffering as a result; but the players are under the wing of the coach.

This coach has a long history of mentally beating down players. He has poor interpersonal relation skills. The result of this over the years has been for the players to show him as much respect as he shows them. There has been a loss of honor and values that stem from coaches instilling these virtues into his players and the players having pride in displaying the same.

The parents of this town sit huddled quietly and do not want to rock the boat as this coach has positioned himself as the gateway to college lax and expects the masses to bow down to him. And they do. His draconian practices are tolerated only as they have come to accept him as the savior.

It is time for this HC to come under review for his abusive ways. A psychological evaluation is not out of the question either.

Too many players have been subjected to this "crying" abusive person.

His tears I am sure are for himself and how much his image has been tarnished. He cares not one iota for his players as people nor does he take up the charge to be a true leader as one would hope and expect. His players would collectively put him through a wall rather than run through one for him.

Time for change. Drastic change.

So following your logic, if a kid gets caught smoking pot in the bathroom at school, or on school grounds, principal should be fired?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A paid coach and a professional coach are two different things. This is not his full time job. He is not a career high school lacrosse coach. You arrogant parents who take no responsibility for your children are the real problem. Control your kids behavior. You sound like a typical parent who is unhappy with the coach because the coach doesn't share your vision of little Johnny being an Ivey league player!

Go back to your barstool at Leo's!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As of yesterday; all involved players kicked off of team.. A one week school suspension was handed down. One known commit spot has been designated as "vacated" by that university.

Coach reported to be "crying" as he informed his players of the situation at practice.

The HC must take the brunt of the responsibility in this case. Yes, parents should have could have done better and are suffering as a result; but the players are under the wing of the coach.

This coach has a long history of mentally beating down players. He has poor interpersonal relation skills. The result of this over the years has been for the players to show him as much respect as he shows them. There has been a loss of honor and values that stem from coaches instilling these virtues into his players and the players having pride in displaying the same.

The parents of this town sit huddled quietly and do not want to rock the boat as this coach has positioned himself as the gateway to college lax and expects the masses to bow down to him. And they do. His draconian practices are tolerated only as they have come to accept him as the savior.

It is time for this HC to come under review for his abusive ways. A psychological evaluation is not out of the question either.

His tears I am sure are for himself and how much his image has been tarnished. He cares not one iota for his players as people nor does he take up the charge to be a true leader as one would hope and expect. His players would collectively put him through a wall rather than run through one for him.

Draconian practices... abusive ways... scared, cowering parents...

nah - you don't have an agenda...

I think you're just jealous that people don't look at you in the same light anymore...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Clearly a bitter parent - how much time do you spend on here?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please stop crying about the HC of GC. I can guarantee you are the type of person who thinks everyone should get a trophy. The coach plays the best players on his team. I know the coach personally for over 20 years. He is a great family man,teacher,coach and friend. Just because your son didnt get playing time on his team you come onto this website to insult him? Maybe if you had a set of balls you would either confront him and tell him that or you should just realize your son suks at lax and him and his staff see it. The people on this site want the truth, well thats the truth. Your son doesnt play and sits on the bench because he really isnt that good. Truth hurts huh??? By the way my kid doesnt play on his team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Teddy Roosevelt wrote an essay called "The Man in the Arens" and one of the great lines in it is "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."...Critics...interesting group..usually think they could do a better job..having never even attempted what they think they could be better at...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Based on what I have read here, most of you did not play HS sports. The "abusive" behavior is called motivation, it works. The kids aren't crying, the parents are. I played in a time when coaches would grab you by the jersey and scream in your face for minor transgressions, it was hardly mentally abusive. Please stop, you sound silly, the head coach has won way more than he has lost. He has put many boys into top tier programs. The kids screwed up and were disciplined. The story is OVER. And to the people who are getting "reports" on the situation, GET A LIFE loser.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Garden City is a mess. Just look at the parents behavior and braggadocio attitudes and its easy to see where this type of behavior comes from. Leave the coach alone. Take aim at the residents. Did I mention our PAL program is a mess with infighting as well? The protectionism is rampant for all the little Johnnies and their doomed fate if god forbid they don't make the A team. Friends turning their backs on each other and all the squabbling and political maneuvering... makes me sick. Most of the oafs involved were not much to speak of in their day to boot...joke.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]

"I'm ok with that" "Not my business"??? No way this is written by a parent.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Garden City is a mess. Just look at the parents behavior and braggadocio attitudes and its easy to see where this type of behavior comes from. Leave the coach alone. Take aim at the residents. Did I mention our PAL program is a mess with infighting as well? The protectionism is rampant for all the little Johnnies and their doomed fate if god forbid they don't make the A team. Friends turning their backs on each other and all the squabbling and political maneuvering... makes me sick. Most of the oafs involved were not much to speak of in their day to boot...joke.

Then move

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]

"I'm ok with that" "Not my business"??? No way this is written by a parent.

unfortunately ive heard this come straight for parents mouths.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HOLY HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!

add the Thunder and Soccer crew to the list

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When that lack of respect for others comes back and bites you in the a$$ it sucks doesnt it?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why don't you get up from behind the keyboard that you are hiding behind, grab a whistle and volunteer your time like these so called oafs are doing. We are always looking for more volunteers to assist with our program. Boy, it must be a nice view from the cheap seat, huh.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow...this has turned into a real jerry springer therapy session for you GC citizens

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Teddy Roosevelt wrote an essay called "The Man in the Arens" and one of the great lines in it is "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."...Critics...interesting group..usually think they could do a better job..having never even attempted what they think they could be better at...

must've been dying for years to pull out the one quote you learned in your life (or did you look that one up?) and is laughable in that it so inappropriate to this discussion nor are your claims or interpretation of this quote even germane to the original point.

nice try there, Ted

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most of these volunteer coaches married well. $$$

Why don't you get up from behind the keyboard that you are hiding behind, grab a whistle and volunteer your time like these so called oafs are doing. We are always looking for more volunteers to assist with our program. Boy, it must be a nice view from the cheap seat, huh.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HOLY HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!

add the Thunder and Soccer crew to the list

Put your hammer away and grab a whistle and volunteer your time like these guys are doing. So quick to judge and critique the sports programs when all you do is drop little Johnny off and pick him up from practices and games. Must be nice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The legendary coach from Ward Melville Joe Cuozzo was once asked why he wasn't interested in traveling to out of state games. His answer is still appropriate 20 years later. I am paraphrasing but basically he stated way too much chance for things to go wrong and destroy a season. He was more than willing to play you at his field where his players were their parents responsibility until they stepped on the field. Smart man!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow...this has turned into a real jerry springer therapy session for you GC citizens

JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!!! smile

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I appreciate the coaches and their time--its all the other stuff; and I do coach in the community.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No but kid would be suspended from school and stopped from any other activities no questions asked. Why was a need for a meeting to discuss. Should have been cut and dry and none of this would be happening. Everyone would have looked at GC and said WOW they don't take any bull and don't cower to anyone.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most of these volunteer coaches married well. $$$

The PAL program is a very big program and credit must be given to all of the volunteers involved. All programs have internal issues and this is not lost on the GC PAL program; but the devotion and attention given by the volunteers enabled many kids including my own to succeed at the high school level with good fundamentals as the foundation of the program.

this in not the place to discuss infighting.

bashing the HC on the other hand is perfectly fine. When your kids finally get to play for him; the rose colored glasses will come off at home when your kids tell you the real deal.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everyone on this forum is so judgemental and idiotic. These kids did a dumb thing and you are all arguing over something that doesnt even concern you at all. They made a mistake, and are paying the consequences for it. And for all the parents that are calling them morons and saying they need help, take a look at your own son because i can tell you first hand i guarantee they have at least tried smoking pot before, most of them do it pretty frequently.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Since it's obvious you aren't from GC, the volunteer situation in GC youth sports is somewhat different depending on who the grade coordinator may be. In some grades, the volunteers are the coordinators friends and if you aren't his or her friend, you need not apply. That's why many stay in the so called cheap seats you reference. So if you don't know what you are talking about, worry about your town.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The head coach at GC runs the GC PAL and travel program, the kids pay more to play on the towns travel teams than most travel teams. There are at least two travel teams in each age group up to 7th grade. In 7th grade and higher there is one team. The A teams as they are called are typically coached by paid guys who the head coach picks. It is a huge cash cow. Not saying it is not run right but huge money for these guys. Where they are way wrong is not allowing kids to play on travel teams as well and do the best they to play both, without getting kicked off the GC team. Some of the better kids can play on a top travel team, play against some of the best talent in their respective grade and get very good lacrosse experience. The travel teams typically carry 23 kids at over $1800 so those kids better get somewhat equal playing time or else! Lets face it there are no towns that 23 let alone 5-6 top kids so if you are one of the kids with more talent you cannot play a travel with other top talented kids and you must play on the town team and share the same play time with some kids that might never play on the varsity team. Just don't seem right but many are unsure to leave the town team because they may have to play the guy who runs the progam in high school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do they still penalize kids that they assume are going to Chaminade? I've heard horror stories about 6th, 7thand 8th graders who get nothing but bench time because they're not going to play at GC public schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Since it's obvious you aren't from GC, the volunteer situation in GC youth sports is somewhat different depending on who the grade coordinator may be. In some grades, the volunteers are the coordinators friends and if you aren't his or her friend, you need not apply. That's why many stay in the so called cheap seats you reference. So if you don't know what you are talking about, worry about your town.

Wow, sounds just like a mirror image of the Three Village Youth program.

Page 27 of 77 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 76 77

Link Copied to Clipboard