BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 58 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Princeton situation: how does this impact the peace of mind for a 2017, 2018, 2019 commit kid? New coach could = do over. I have been thinking this as a downside risk for a couple years. How does this go?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Princeton situation: how does this impact the peace of mind for a 2017, 2018, 2019 commit kid? New coach could = do over. I have been thinking this as a downside risk for a couple years. How does this go?

New coach could conceivably come in and void all verbal agreements. Dartmouth coach I believe did that when he came in. Unless your NLI is signed nothing is binding. Doesnt seem that coach is very well liked, not sure he survives much longer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very, very negatively. They should be worried, especially since Princeton's relationship with the admissions office has been pretty iffy for the last ten years or so.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

His fate might be sealed since coach threw an elbow at a Brown player as he was running off the field and was caught on video. Doesn't look good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

New coach could conceivably come in and void all verbal agreements. Dartmouth coach I believe did that when he came in. Unless your NLI is signed nothing is binding. Doesnt seem that coach is very well liked, not sure he survives much longer.
No NLIs at Ivys.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

His fate might be sealed since coach threw an elbow at a Brown player as he was running off the field and was caught on video. Doesn't look good.
this is 100% true. It occurred at the 1:11 point of the game after the face off. Don't know which Coach it was but he definitely threw an elbow to the players chest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty gets all bent out of shape when the early recruiting issue is under fire. Think about it, the guy would be out of a job if it was taken away, so his agenda is his agenda. Push the hype push the early interest in prepubescent boys, gives him more credibility, and more networking to make $$$$ . Which IMO in the end is what it is all about.

people getting upset with Ty 'cause little Johnny isn't getting any love. WA WA WA , the insecurity that is so evident in people would kind of funny if it wasn't so sad, If TY mentioned your kid he would be the lax recruiting GURU...lol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty gets all bent out of shape when the early recruiting issue is under fire. Think about it, the guy would be out of a job if it was taken away, so his agenda is his agenda. Push the hype push the early interest in prepubescent boys, gives him more credibility, and more networking to make $$$$ . Which IMO in the end is what it is all about.

people getting upset with Ty 'cause little Johnny isn't getting any love. WA WA WA , the insecurity that is so evident in people would kind of funny if it wasn't so sad, If TY mentioned your kid he would be the lax recruiting GURU...lol

You're kidding, right? I'm from MD and should enjoy the home cooking. I have a 2016 son who will play college next year. Ty falls all over himself to pump the tires of kids at our son's IAC school. I find it offensive when he does because I see the bargaining and prodding that goes on. I don't think people get jealous just because their little Johnny isn't getting noticed. What is offensive is kids who can't play do get recognized out of some allegiances to club and prep people. And once a kid commits, it's fawn all over the kid time. Frankly, I've never seen anything so devoid of substance in my life. Which is really saying something considering I'm a venture capitalist who listens to bad ideas 99% of the time in my life.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Xanders gets paid to write up certain kids. I know this to be fact. So, its hard to take anything he writes as serious analysis.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Xanders gets paid to write up certain kids. I know this to be fact. So, its hard to take anything he writes as serious analysis.

lol "I know this to be fact" you're an idiot

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is taking up more than Ty's 15 mins of fame. He's a lacrosse blogger folks. Of course the club and prep guys will do anything and everything to get some kids pumped. Pounds of salt. Pounds of salt. The season starts so late in New England versus in the mid-Atlantic. Right now most of the IAC and WCAC teams have played more than half their games and the likes of the LI teams Darien and New Canaan have only started. What's next, do CT teams need to start their season in February so that the national rankings don't leave them behind before April 1st? Maybe even that wouldn't matter since the bloggers aren't going to be sitting and watching games in NE 6 weeks a year. The Baltimore and DC teams aren't better, they're just better covered and hyped.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

people getting upset with Ty 'cause little Johnny isn't getting any love. WA WA WA , the insecurity that is so evident in people would kind of funny if it wasn't so sad, If TY mentioned your kid he would be the lax recruiting GURU…lol

No not at all worried about my son, admitted already Dec. 15th, scored big merit $$, to the tune of 6k grand less than a SUNY at a top 10 university. Im just calling it as I see it. Four kids 2 oldest played college ball, younger two opting to club ball, so could really not care one bit what Ty does say or write. However, I will state, no other reason he fanboys over prepubescent boys is to further his own agenda.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How does Ty make money? I'm sorry these clubs must pay him to show up to certain tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
How does Ty make money? I'm sorry these clubs must pay him to show up to certain tournaments.

Ya' think?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

lol "I know this to be fact" you're an idiot

Ok so if youre so smart, how exactly does this guy make money? Is he independently wealthy and has just decided to spend his days mancrushing on teenage boys? If he isnt getting paid by the clubs, where is the income coming from? Why does he tend to cover certain clubs and schools more than others? Nobody is taking anything away from the kids he writes about, Im sure they are all deserving, but for anyone to take anything he says seriously is laughable.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He takes payment in the form of Chipotle, gas money or baseball hats

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who says he's wealthy?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're kidding, right? I'm from MD and should enjoy the home cooking. I have a 2016 son who will play college next year. Ty falls all over himself to pump the tires of kids at our son's IAC school. I find it offensive when he does because I see the bargaining and prodding that goes on. I don't think people get jealous just because their little Johnny isn't getting noticed. What is offensive is kids who can't play do get recognized out of some allegiances to club and prep people. And once a kid commits, it's fawn all over the kid time. Frankly, I've never seen anything so devoid of substance in my life. Which is really saying something considering I'm a venture capitalist who listens to bad ideas 99% of the time in my life.

I am Elmer J Fudd Venture Capitalist, I own a mansion and a yacht and my son plays lax...sure, whatever you say.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am Elmer J Fudd Venture Capitalist, I own a mansion and a yacht and my son plays lax...sure, whatever you say.

Hey. Knock it off. I invented fuddgy the whale. So there

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HAHAHA... THATS OUTSTANDING...WHAT A WINDBAG THAT POSTER IS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey. Knock it off. I invented fuddgy the whale. So there

If that was Elmer J he would have said lawcwosse, not lax, so I don't believe it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone involved is obviously paid

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who says he's wealthy?
Its a sarcastic supposition based on the premise that if he isnt being paid by the clubs to write up kids then hes obviously got his own money and doesnt need to get paid...... try and keep up I know its difficult with no pictures

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you look at all the events he covers through his travels he writes up the same clubs but different kids each time. So everyone gets a shot. Great marketing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did someone say "sarcastic supposition"... wow it is getting serious in here now.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here we have it, the first extreme ER era firing of a coach who is sitting on a three year stack of kids committed. Good luck to all the Princeton commits and families. Time to hope the new coach will share the prior guys's affections. I think this is one of many watershed shakeouts to come in the next year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here we have it, the first extreme ER era firing of a coach who is sitting on a three year stack of kids committed. Good luck to all the Princeton commits and families. Time to hope the new coach will share the prior guys's affections. I think this is one of many watershed shakeouts to come in the next year.

Bates was not very well liked by the alums and was reported to be constantly at odds with the school administration as well. He gave them a gift wrapped excuse to get rid of him. The press release said they will do a nationwide search for a new head coach at seasons end. Will be very interesting to see if they honor their verbals. Since the Ivies dont do NLI's even the 2016's arent safe. Fascinated to see what happens there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 2016s are tuition deposited by now. What kid is going to duck away from a Princeton education? I think the 2017s and 2018s are burned. They will need to re-audition. The perils of this early process is this consequence. It is almost never the case there is a coaching change without abysmal performance in the program. Same coach with the abysmal record has recruits lined up? Release them. Princeton can poach away.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 2016s are tuition deposited by now. What kid is going to duck away from a Princeton education? I think the 2017s and 2018s are burned. They will need to re-audition. The perils of this early process is this consequence. It is almost never the case there is a coaching change without abysmal performance in the program. Same coach with the abysmal record has recruits lined up? Release them. Princeton can poach away.

I agree to a point- but I think releasing the committed players shows that Princeton is not true to their word. I would not encourage my kid to commit to a school that seems less honorable than others. On the other hand, it could be great for all those hard working students with the grades in the book, as it is hard to build up grades to get in as a junior and senior and if they do try to poach and find new kids, then the kids that excel in the classroom would have a big advantage. In either case, I hope that the new coach honors the verbals and stands by their word.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Princeton committed to the kids? Ummm, no. Coach Bates made verbal arrangements with kids to sponsor their applications with the admissions office in September of their senior year. A coach gets a certain number of applications he may sponsor to admissions and submit them. Then admissions decides.

If you believe there is a bargain beyond that, you're mistaken. Princeton has no bargain with any of the kids. The AD has no bargain with any of the kids. At their discretion coaches can wildcat and 'verbally commit kids' to their program early, but there's nothing formal or implied as binding to it. Bates could have verbally arranged with 25 kids from juniors down to freshmen and that has nothing -- absolutely nothing -- to do with the buy in or interest of the university or it's admissions office.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your wrong every coach has what they call slots. Able to get a lacrosse player in that would not be able without lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your wrong every coach has what they call slots. Able to get a lacrosse player in that would not be able without lacrosse.

But probably not as many slots as he has the number of kids he has told verbally " with your grades, and with our support, I don't see any reason your acceptance won't be a problem. But I can't emphasize enough that you'll really need to keep your grades up and get the numbers you've been scoring on practice ACTs when it is an official test. I'm looking forward to having you at Princeton, now go work on those grades".

And even the kid who was going to take one of the "slots" still needs the coach to make the case......the new coach may not work as hard as he should trying to sway admissions that the kid can cut the grade if admitted.

My guess is the HS 2016s are fine, all other agreements are open to revision.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ivy League Schools do nto have "Slots". Ivy League Schools work off of an AI (academic index). There is a minimum score that must be attained by any one student athlete and there is an average that must be met for the incoming class. If you are not one of their top recruits than you better have a score will above the required average.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ivy League Schools do nto have "Slots". Ivy League Schools work off of an AI (academic index). There is a minimum score that must be attained by any one student athlete and there is an average that must be met for the incoming class. If you are not one of their top recruits than you better have a score will above the required average.

Better to be a marginal player with great scores. That helps the coach big time in balancing the roster. At non ivies all the kids on 50 player rosters that are ranked 35-50 help the team GPA, notthe team on the field

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're not informed. The coach has slots. The coach can use those slots to sponsor 7-9 candidates a year. If those candidates meet the (very high) standards, they are in. It has the effect of taking kids academically in the strata to be admitted without help, and pulls them out of the lottery of thousands of near perfect applicants competing for few spots.

If a candidate is a lacrosse player, and that lacrosse player would not be a viable candidate for admission without lacrosse -- that player gets declined by admissions. Princeton admissions has declined more than a few committed kids from the Bates era. There are some programs that have latitude. Cornell has latitude. Tierney used to have latitude at Princeton and left when he didn't anymore. Bates didn't have latitude, and where he did it was not very material. We're talking about getting a kid with a 3.7 GPA and a lower AI over a hump when it gets pushed hard. We're not talking about a A/B student with nothing but lacrosse on a college application.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True true... Ivy league schools work on an "Academic Index" which means that any given applicant has to meet the standards of the institution which can be daunting. What sports does is bring that paperwork to the top of the pile. As the previous poster mentioned there may be 5,000 applications for a college like Princeton or Yale or name your IVY. More get rejected then processed, a coach of an IVY league school puts that kids application at the top of the pile. So if the child makes the academic standards then they will get accepted before thousands of other applications are even looked at. Also teams have to keep an mean score (this is true of most D1 programs but is more rigorous in an IVY league school), so some kids are accepted onto a team to bring up the team average even thought they don't have a chance of breaking a lineup. Finally for an IVY league school since there isn't a "scholarship" everyone is accepted academically once admitted the programs have little control over the kids (unlike a scholarship situation where kids are owned by the coach lock stock and barrel). Trade offs on both sides but for kids who are not going to make a career out of the sport that they are getting accepted for, IVY leagues make most sense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so UVA is a failure, Hop too on their ER gambit. Any ER successes?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What do you consider ER? Denver has 6 2019 committed and 13 2018. Duke has 9 2018s. No 2019 but heard they try to keep it on the down low. Even Loyola has 6 2018. Notre Dame has 7 2018s. Syracuse has 15 2018. Then add notorious ERs UVA and MD and you have every school that has played in the final since 2010. The only other school to play in final 4 during that time not mentioned is Cornell - which has 6 2018 commits. UVA and JHU deserve criticism for early recruiting but there's more in play

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sort of to tell on women's side, but if the men's is an indication it doesn't appear like the most aggressive have gotten any particular advantage.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can all say what you want but Princeton will honor 90 percent of the previous coaches verbals , you may have a few kids use it as an excuse to opt out . My son plays at a Princeton and when he went thru the recruiting process the AD was slightly involved but was made aware at the end of each parties "commitment" and I was told that the school would honor the agreement weather that particular coach was there or not . Yes there are some academic mile stones that your kid needs to meet but they are significantly lower than the average Princeton student and quite honestly if you struggle to meet those standards you do not belong there.

Like Reply Quote
Page 9 of 58 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard