BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 58 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Well, at least it's not just lacrosse. I see where a Greenwich Ct. 8th grader just committed to Florida State as a QB. Will attend New Canaan HS. And Btw. 8th grader who is 15 years old , 6'1" 170 pounds. (My 8th grader is 13, 5'4 98 lbs) I have to assume before Florida St. would commit, they would have seen him play against similar sized and aged kids?

My 9 year old is 5'4" 90 pounds. And he is in 3rd grade. You better start stretching your son and feeding him protein drinks.

Be careful, unless your wife is 6'2" the growth can really slow or even stop. One of my older son's friends was 5'10" 160 lbs in 7th grade. Was the football star in middle school. He's a soph in College now, still 5'10". Just sayin..

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, at least it's not just lacrosse. I see where a Greenwich Ct. 8th grader just committed to Florida State as a QB. Will attend New Canaan HS. And Btw. 8th grader who is 15 years old , 6'1" 170 pounds. (My 8th grader is 13, 5'4 98 lbs) I have to assume before Florida St. would commit, they would have seen him play against similar sized and aged kids?

My 9 year old is 5'4" 90 pounds. And he is in 3rd grade. You better start stretching your son and feeding him protein drinks.

Be careful, unless your wife is 6'2" the growth can really slow or even stop. One of my older son's friends was 5'10" 160 lbs in 7th grade. Was the football star in middle school. He's a soph in College now, still 5'10". Just sayin..

I'm about 6'1 and she is 5'10, so I think he'll be fine. The biggest problem is when he gets aches and growing pains, sometimes it's tough to watch.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's see how tough Quint is now Let's see him come out and bash Jimbo Fisher for committing an 8th grader !! He won't and that is why people's le in the lax world think he's a clown. Double standard and are because he's scared ESPN will boot his [lacrosse] off football, he'll be covering rodeo

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Give that a rest. Two things for you to chew on. 1. Over the last 30 years some top D1 football programs have offered kids in 8th grade. I grew up in the same town as Todd Marinovich who was offered in 8th grade and Clausen up the road was offered by USC in 8th grade. Saban has done it twice in the last 8 years. Over decades you can look and there might be a dozen or two total instances like that. I don't know why a football prodigy would be offered but do know a D1 football team has 100 guys and there are 300+ D1 programs, so the notoriety of these prodigies getting offered is quite rare. I'm sure this Connecticut kid is an exceptional one for an 8th grader. So was Todd Marinovich and so was Ken Clausen. 2. Quint isn't being critical of a one-off instance every year or so, he is pointing to something not even close to the same. Lacrosse recruiting is almost entirely concentrated on middle school kids and 9th graders. It is a systemic thing and he is absolutely accurate in his analysis.

Quint is not a hypocrite, a wuss or an idiot because you disagree with him. And he has a lot more credibility than some lacrosse dad in the bleachers like me (and probably like many of you). Early recruiting rewards a few families and kids with recognition and some money to help pay for college. Lacrosse is a 12.6 sport over 45 kids these days, so the instances of the full ride can't be too high a count. I don't know that but common sense does suggest it. Early recruiting is also a bad look for the youth game, for the prep game, for the kids who are made to feel worthless if they are not the special ones when they are 14 (and is a very unhealthy ego inflator for a kid who propped as a special one) and it is a horrible look for the universities. As a graduate of Johns Hopkins with a graduate degree I am appalled.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Give that a rest. Two things for you to chew on. 1. Over the last 30 years some top D1 football programs have offered kids in 8th grade. I grew up in the same town as Todd Marinovich who was offered in 8th grade and Clausen up the road was offered by USC in 8th grade. Saban has done it twice in the last 8 years. Over decades you can look and there might be a dozen or two total instances like that. I don't know why a football prodigy would be offered but do know a D1 football team has 100 guys and there are 300+ D1 programs, so the notoriety of these prodigies getting offered is quite rare. I'm sure this Connecticut kid is an exceptional one for an 8th grader. So was Todd Marinovich and so was Ken Clausen. 2. Quint isn't being critical of a one-off instance every year or so, he is pointing to something not even close to the same. Lacrosse recruiting is almost entirely concentrated on middle school kids and 9th graders. It is a systemic thing and he is absolutely accurate in his analysis.

Quint is not a hypocrite, a wuss or an idiot because you disagree with him. And he has a lot more credibility than some lacrosse dad in the bleachers like me (and probably like many of you). Early recruiting rewards a few families and kids with recognition and some money to help pay for college. Lacrosse is a 12.6 sport over 45 kids these days, so the instances of the full ride can't be too high a count. I don't know that but common sense does suggest it. Early recruiting is also a bad look for the youth game, for the prep game, for the kids who are made to feel worthless if they are not the special ones when they are 14 (and is a very unhealthy ego inflator for a kid who propped as a special one) and it is a horrible look for the universities. As a graduate of Johns Hopkins with a graduate degree I am appalled.

So complain to Petro.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why bother complaining to Petro? He does his job and apparently can do whatever he wants and the administration is ok with that. As an alum I am not a fan of it is all. I would hope and expect that the admissions people will do their jobs too. 9th graders don't have an academic record worth any reliances. If the grades and scores aren't there and the admissions declines recruits, I won't shed any tears for Petro. This was his choice. His rewards or consequences later depending on how it goes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They all say they don't want to do it, Petro, Starsia, Tierney, etc. They all still do. Nothing will change. The NCAA will not get involved. Hopefully the 8th grader is a one off, especially for the boys side. Until someone goes deep into the tournament with a team of kids who didn't commit until late, expect more of the 9th grade commits.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The common belief is that the NCAA will do nothing about this

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a problem. I like donuts. I eat a lot of donuts. There's a donut shop on the way to work and I just can't stop steering in to crush a half dozen in the morning and another half dozen on my way home. My wife sends me out on weekends to get some for the kids and I always get two boxes by the dozen and demolish one of them like a meth addict in the car, then throw away the box. I work out 3 hours a day but I'm still 135 pounds overweight.

I am asking all of YOU to help ME end this thing that is spinning out of control. Other dads see me get excited talking about donuts, and they just can't help themselves either. It has viraled out and now its getting harder and harder to get the Boston Cremes before they are wiped out at all the shops in my county. Just last week I found myself at the Krispy Kreme at 4am after telling my wife I was taking the dog for an early walk waiting for that light to go on. There were four other dads there with their dogs in the backseats too and we all tried to just look down at our smart phones feigning the embarrassment over being seen like this. It's just embarrassing for a grown man to be sitting outside a Krispy Kreme at 4am waiting for Boston Cremes, but the thing to understand is getting Krispy Kremes is a competitive thing now. Not getting those Boston Kremes is a risk. And they are delicious.

Last night I took the taking the dog for a walk thing all the way in to 2:45am. I was in the clear waiting alone at another Krispy Kreme 7 exits up the I-270 waiting for the light. The police came and asked a few questions. They'd gotten a call about the profile of a dealer in a empty lot on a Friday night. Fairly quickly the situation was diffused when they saw I was a white, bald 350 pound middle age man wearing pajamas with a golden lab named Leroy in the back seat. This is Maryland, and trust me, it's good to be white and bald with a golden lab named Leroy.

This was a night of reckoning. I can't help myself. I do like to talk about helping myself. I like to do tha a lot, and so do the other local donut addicts who joined this early donut hunting war with me. I decided to put the responsibility on you. I mean 'you' as in everyone else but me. I have a petition to ban donuts to send to the FDA. I've also decided to start a GoFundMe page to raise money to build early donut procurement awareness. This isn't really just my problem. It's your problem too. And it's all your fault too. So sign my petition and support the GoFundMe website. I promise I won't continue or use any of those GoFundMe proceeds to buy donuts. Aside from that, there is little I can do about pre-dawn donut runs. I mean, everyone else is doing it. People just don't understand how good donuts are as what is at stake here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a problem. I like donuts. I eat a lot of donuts. There's a donut shop on the way to work and I just can't stop steering in to crush a half dozen in the morning and another half dozen on my way home. My wife sends me out on weekends to get some for the kids and I always get two boxes by the dozen and demolish one of them like a meth addict in the car, then throw away the box. I work out 3 hours a day but I'm still 135 pounds overweight.

I am asking all of YOU to help ME end this thing that is spinning out of control. Other dads see me get excited talking about donuts, and they just can't help themselves either. It has viraled out and now its getting harder and harder to get the Boston Cremes before they are wiped out at all the shops in my county. Just last week I found myself at the Krispy Kreme at 4am after telling my wife I was taking the dog for an early walk waiting for that light to go on. There were four other dads there with their dogs in the backseats too and we all tried to just look down at our smart phones feigning the embarrassment over being seen like this. It's just embarrassing for a grown man to be sitting outside a Krispy Kreme at 4am waiting for Boston Cremes, but the thing to understand is getting Krispy Kremes is a competitive thing now. Not getting those Boston Kremes is a risk. And they are delicious.

Last night I took the taking the dog for a walk thing all the way in to 2:45am. I was in the clear waiting alone at another Krispy Kreme 7 exits up the I-270 waiting for the light. The police came and asked a few questions. They'd gotten a call about the profile of a dealer in a empty lot on a Friday night. Fairly quickly the situation was diffused when they saw I was a white, bald 350 pound middle age man wearing pajamas with a golden lab named Leroy in the back seat. This is Maryland, and trust me, it's good to be white and bald with a golden lab named Leroy.

This was a night of reckoning. I can't help myself. I do like to talk about helping myself. I like to do tha a lot, and so do the other local donut addicts who joined this early donut hunting war with me. I decided to put the responsibility on you. I mean 'you' as in everyone else but me. I have a petition to ban donuts to send to the FDA. I've also decided to start a GoFundMe page to raise money to build early donut procurement awareness. This isn't really just my problem. It's your problem too. And it's all your fault too. So sign my petition and support the GoFundMe website. I promise I won't continue or use any of those GoFundMe proceeds to buy donuts. Aside from that, there is little I can do about pre-dawn donut runs. I mean, everyone else is doing it. People just don't understand how good donuts are as what is at stake here.

If you go even earlier, you can get the day old donuts at half price. Just a thought

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UNC, UVA, Hopkins, Duke. The ACC should get 4 NCAA bids, meaning only one of the list misses, but Hopkins with 6,7 or 8 losses this year and no B1G conference tournament win possible. Three years ago if you looked at where these programs are past the middle of a season and you saw this it would be unthinkable. This is like the housing bubble. The inventory of kids who committed as rising sophs are moving through the college system now. In a couple of years the inventory of 9th and then rising 9th graders starts to move through. Just incredible how the lacrosse public isn't seeing this disaster even though it is happening before our eyes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow, you must be really bored or clinically insanse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow, you must be really bored or clinically insanse

Gets quite boring in his parent's basement.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UNC, UVA, Hopkins, Duke. The ACC should get 4 NCAA bids, meaning only one of the list misses, but Hopkins with 6,7 or 8 losses this year and no B1G conference tournament win possible. Three years ago if you looked at where these programs are past the middle of a season and you saw this it would be unthinkable. This is like the housing bubble. The inventory of kids who committed as rising sophs are moving through the college system now. In a couple of years the inventory of 9th and then rising 9th graders starts to move through. Just incredible how the lacrosse public isn't seeing this disaster even though it is happening before our eyes.

Agree somewhat, but then how do you explain Georgetown? They are typically a late recruiter and they are 1-9 this season and they havent been relevant in years. I think when all is said and done the usual suspects will be there come final four weekend. HOP was in the final four last year and Duke has piled up final fours and National Championships. UVA last won in 2012, but I think the game has passed Starsia by a little bit. UNC is a train wreck and I find it amazing that Breschi still has a job. Early recruiting is a factor im sure to a degree but there are other forces at work as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When was Georgetown a major program? I think that when you have it all resources and prestige wise to recruit and the results are this poor you do have to look at both recruiting and player development as factors. Duke is highly successful as a program having a bad year. UNC, UVA and Hop there isn't a doubt all have underperformed in the past few years. Hop's late season surge last year bailed them out of missing the NCAA tournament, but due credit they did while also overcoming quite a horrible year off the field. I think if you look at UNC, UVA and Hop over the recent years it is impossible to objectively state they have not slipped. Some is just parity but some is also just these programs not monetizing their great advantages to recruit whomever they want.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Princeton: disaster
Dartmouth: disaster
Georgetown: disaster
Drexel: not relevant
Marist: not relevant
Siena: not relevant
Rutgers: not relevant

All of these schools tend to recruit late and this is just a partial list, the MID to bottom half of D1 all recruit late.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All of these schools tend to recruit late and this is just a partial list, the MID to bottom half of D1 all recruit late.

Ask Hopkins if Rutgers is relevant

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Princeton is not a disaster. They are not having a good season, but hardly a disaster. Dartmouth and Georgetown have always been weak programs. Drexel - fair point. Marist, Siena and the like aren't middle tier they are the throw ins at the end. Ivies can't go as early as some, but they don't recruit late either. I also noticed you didn't pick on Yale, Brown, Harvard as disasters because they aren't.

The only programs that have gone full early in recent years are UNC, UVA, Hop and MD. Of those 4 you could only argue MD has been a top NCAA program in the past 5 years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They recruit late because no 9th or 10th grade superstar is going to commit to them early. You think they are late recruiters by choice? Stop it with your child like logic. They are lower tier schools that will wait till later in the process because the top 100 kids are off the board before they blink. They are going to take a flyer on the #200 ranked 10th grader? So dumb.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Princeton has done almost nothing since Tierney left. They were able to get top recruits early on due to reputation and the fact they are an Ivy League School. All the other teams you mentioned have never been historically relevant. Dartmouth never a factor. Georgetown only a few years in. Drexel, Marist, Siena, and Rutgers. How in the world do you even mention them. They have never been relevant. Rutgers will eventually become more relevant due to being part of the Big 10. The other factor is coaching. You can have the best players but if coaching stinks so will the record.

Now lets take a look at Hopkins, Duke, Virginia, North Carolina, and Syracuse. They have always been powerhouse programs where youth players dream of playing. They will always get players due to their history. Yet they are not doing as well as they normally do. These schools also tend to sign players earlier than others. Please do not deny this, especially this year. This year every class at these schools has multiple early 9th and 10th grade commits playing. I don't think many of these early commits are panning out as the coaches hoped they would.

Look at Brown and Yale they recruit later in the cycle and they are doing just fine. Even Loyola, Villanova, Lehigh, and Bucknell are doing well winning some big games. These schools tend to recruit late and don't have the student body size of the big programs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah , getting a college diploma from Princeton , what a disaster. So much better with a degree from Syracuse
Princeton: disaster. You guys truly have lost retrospect.

They recruit late because no 9th or 10th grade superstar is going to commit to them early. You think they are late recruiters by choice? Stop it with your child like logic. They are lower tier schools that will wait till later in the process because the top 100 kids are off the board before they blink. They are going to take a flyer on the #200 ranked 10th grader? So dumb.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game

Princeton has done almost nothing since Tierney left. They were able to get top recruits early on due to reputation and the fact they are an Ivy League School. All the other teams you mentioned have never been historically relevant. Dartmouth never a factor. Georgetown only a few years in. Drexel, Marist, Siena, and Rutgers. How in the world do you even mention them. They have never been relevant. Rutgers will eventually become more relevant due to being part of the Big 10. The other factor is coaching. You can have the best players but if coaching stinks so will the record.

Now lets take a look at Hopkins, Duke, Virginia, North Carolina, and Syracuse. They have always been powerhouse programs where youth players dream of playing. They will always get players due to their history. Yet they are not doing as well as they normally do. These schools also tend to sign players earlier than others. Please do not deny this, especially this year. This year every class at these schools has multiple early 9th and 10th grade commits playing. I don't think many of these early commits are panning out as the coaches hoped they would.

Look at Brown and Yale they recruit later in the cycle and they are doing just fine. Even Loyola, Villanova, Lehigh, and Bucknell are doing well winning some big games. These schools tend to recruit late and don't have the student body size of the big programs.

Brown recently (a couple of months ago) comitted a 2019 pole from long Island, early recruiting is a case by case basis and like anything else is not one size fits all. There are always exceptions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah , getting a college diploma from Princeton , what a disaster. So much better with a degree from Syracuse

Princeton and Georgetown are lower tier schools? Im sure if either Princeton or Georgetown wanted to get into the early recruiting game there will be plenty of kids lining up to play and go to school there. The Drexel, Marist, Rutgers, and Siena coaches have gone on record in the past as stating they will not recruit early and they dont beliebe in it. Whats dumb is you talking about a #200 ranked 10th grader. It doesnt work that way, and the only people that pay attention to those nonsense rankings are ego maniacal parents like yourself.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Drexel, Marist, Siena, Rutgers were all mentioned because all of their coaches have been pretty outspoken about early recruiting and as programs they have a policy about recruiting early. They all have in recent years made tournament appearances with the exception of Rutgers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As for Princeton were talking about lacrosse here not academics, lacrosse wise they are a disaster

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As for Princeton were talking about lacrosse here not academics, lacrosse wise they are a disaster

What an idiot. Please don't ever try and say Princeton is a disaster in anything. A degree from there and you move to the top of every resume pile in the country lacrosse or not. You dadies need to realize that lacrosse ends but a degree from a top 10 school lasts forever. Syracuse isn't even in the same zip code allowing C+ students in these days as long as you pay the $60k tuition

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What an idiot. Please don't ever try and say Princeton is a disaster in anything. A degree from there and you move to the top of every resume pile in the country lacrosse or not. You dadies need to realize that lacrosse ends but a degree from a top 10 school lasts forever. Syracuse isn't even in the same zip code allowing C+ students in these days as long as you pay the $60k tuition

Do you have ADHD?? This is a lacrosse forum. You want to talk employment opportunities find another board. Back of the Boardroom is a great site. Check it out. LOL Some people are here either to just argue, try and act smart, or both. Give it a rest.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
For the person who doesn't understand that this is a lacrosse board. We are talking lacrosse not academics.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Drexel, Marist, Siena, Rutgers were all mentioned because all of their coaches have been pretty outspoken about early recruiting and as programs they have a policy about recruiting early. They all have in recent years made tournament appearances with the exception of Rutgers.

Ok I got it. Do you understand where I was coming from on my post regarding the teams I mentioned and why.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do coaches still look at and/or contact athletes after they give verbals?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok I got it. Do you understand where I was coming from on my post regarding the teams I mentioned and why.

I do understand your points and agree that I am sure there are early verbals on some of those squads that are not working out as planned. I think that the jury is still out about early recruiting and its impact on the present day game. Every team in the final four last year are notorious early recruiters and late poachers as well. I think in the case of UNC and UVA they definitely have coaching issues. In the cases of Brown and Yale, dont kid yourself, they recruit plenty early, they just arent as public about it because of their admissions process. All of the other schools you mention have multiple 2018 verbals which would be considered "early" as compared to the historical way of recruiting in which kids werent locked up until their JR and SR years. Thank you for the civilized and coherent discussion though, its a rarity on this board.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Do coaches still look at and/or contact athletes after they give verbals?

Yes

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So safe to say, YOU didnt attend Princeton as your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking. We all get it Princeton is a phenomenal academic institution that any kid would be lucky to be able to attend, but as a lacrosse program they have been struggling. Given their rich lacrosse history the current state of affairs can accurately be described as a disaster. Im sure the very proud alumni base there is not happy whatsoever at whats going on with that program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So safe to say, YOU didnt attend Princeton as your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking. We all get it Princeton is a phenomenal academic institution that any kid would be lucky to be able to attend, but as a lacrosse program they have been struggling. Given their rich lacrosse history the current state of affairs can accurately be described as a disaster. Im sure the very proud alumni base there is not happy whatsoever at whats going on with that program.

They only had a "rich" history with Tierney. He's gone, along with their hopes for ever achieving anything. SAD!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I do understand your points and agree that I am sure there are early verbals on some of those squads that are not working out as planned. I think that the jury is still out about early recruiting and its impact on the present day game. Every team in the final four last year are notorious early recruiters and late poachers as well. I think in the case of UNC and UVA they definitely have coaching issues. In the cases of Brown and Yale, dont kid yourself, they recruit plenty early, they just arent as public about it because of their admissions process. All of the other schools you mention have multiple 2018 verbals which would be considered "early" as compared to the historical way of recruiting in which kids werent locked up until their JR and SR years. Thank you for the civilized and coherent discussion though, its a rarity on this board.

Thank you. I try my best. Love this game and all it has to offer the players that play it and those who have played. So people know I became a moderator and involved with this site after myself and my son were attacked on here a number of years ago. This was allowed by a previous moderator who is no longer involved with back of the cage. I always try and protect the kids and do my best to initiate quality topics of discussion.

The Ivys always sign a bit later yes due to the requirements and the admissions process. Yet it seems they are also signing the right players. Remember due to the rigorous requirements they have a much smaller pool to choose from. This makes it that much harder for the Ivy schools. Not all students can meet the GPA, SAT, or ACT score required to attend these schools.

I just feel that too much early recruiting is destroying the game at its foundation, the PAL and Youth levels. Every game is the National Championship. So much pressure is being put on theses kids by over zealous parents and coaches. Its taking the fun out of it for the kids. The club ball is also a nightmare. Its just diluting the caliber of play with all theses clubs out there. We are rating teams as AA, A, B so people don't get their feelings hurt. What happened to town and travel? What happened to the letters A,B, and C. This AA crap is just that, crap. I also think its making it hard for the coaches with parents overstepping their bounds on all levels club and town. With this his win at all cost mentality yet everyone gets a trophy generation there are so many mixed signals being sent out. I think the signing of a 8th grader is crazy. Now this kid has all this pressure on them to perform, also a target on his back. All the while trying just to grow up and be a kid. I am sure his parents have taken this into consideration and its an amazing accomplishment. I just think this type of accomplishment should be reserved for a select few and not the masses like it has become now.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love how some of you know who the top 100 kids in the nation are...if you look at Ty's picks from years ago you see that he had some right I. His rating for top 25 but he certainly missed on a bunch which is to be expected since he does not know all the kids or the diamond in the rough because they don't play on these top teams. Point is don't worry if your kid has not decided yet. If he is good the schools will come to him trust me. My son was one of those kids that Ty had no clue about and was an all American . His job is to try and create interest which he does. Almost like a Perez Hilton type

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
exactly

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you. I try my best. Love this game and all it has to offer the players that play it and those who have played. So people know I became a moderator and involved with this site after myself and my son were attacked on here a number of years ago. This was allowed by a previous moderator who is no longer involved with back of the cage. I always try and protect the kids and do my best to initiate quality topics of discussion.

The Ivys always sign a bit later yes due to the requirements and the admissions process. Yet it seems they are also signing the right players. Remember due to the rigorous requirements they have a much smaller pool to choose from. This makes it that much harder for the Ivy schools. Not all students can meet the GPA, SAT, or ACT score required to attend these schools.

I just feel that too much early recruiting is destroying the game at its foundation, the PAL and Youth levels. Every game is the National Championship. So much pressure is being put on theses kids by over zealous parents and coaches. Its taking the fun out of it for the kids. The club ball is also a nightmare. Its just diluting the caliber of play with all theses clubs out there. We are rating teams as AA, A, B so people don't get their feelings hurt. What happened to town and travel? What happened to the letters A,B, and C. This AA crap is just that, crap. I also think its making it hard for the coaches with parents overstepping their bounds on all levels club and town. With this his win at all cost mentality yet everyone gets a trophy generation there are so many mixed signals being sent out. I think the signing of a 8th grader is crazy. Now this kid has all this pressure on them to perform, also a target on his back. All the while trying just to grow up and be a kid. I am sure his parents have taken this into consideration and its an amazing accomplishment. I just think this type of accomplishment should be reserved for a select few and not the masses like it has become now.

New Cannan Ct 8th grader has received 2 offers to play Division 1 football. 1 to Florida State and 1 to Southern Alabama. like it or not its being done. This particular football player happens to be a 15 year old 8th grader, unlike the 13 year old 8th grade laxer. Early recruiting in any sport is not a one size fits all and rather than discount it all together it should be done on a case by case basis.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love how some of you know who the top 100 kids in the nation are...if you look at Ty's picks from years ago you see that he had some right I. His rating for top 25 but he certainly missed on a bunch which is to be expected since he does not know all the kids or the diamond in the rough because they don't play on these top teams. Point is don't worry if your kid has not decided yet. If he is good the schools will come to him trust me. My son was one of those kids that Ty had no clue about and was an all American . His job is to try and create interest which he does. Almost like a Perez Hilton type

Finally someone telling it like it is

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty gets all bent out of shape when the early recruiting issue is under fire. Think about it, the guy would be out of a job if it was taken away, so his agenda is his agenda. Push the hype push the early interest in prepubescent boys, gives him more credibility, and more networking to make $$$$ . Which IMO in the end is what it is all about.

Like Reply Quote
Page 8 of 58 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard