BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 58 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
People are on here questioning why an extremely talented 2020 would early commit, while I'm guessing he got a pretty substantial commitment from PSU.
The one's I don't quite understand are the 15+ 2019s committing to Maryland. (A similar state school to PSU, btw.) So far there are 7 Middies and 3 FO/M. Are they committing just for a chance to try-out? with a good chance of being red-shirted freshman year and possibly the next. I'm guessing 2018 has a similar sized class, which then brings it to how much money is actually available when there are only 12.6 scholarships available per team, with a roster size around 50 the athletic scholarship money can't be much. (I realize there's always academic money)
Again, not sure why some are questioning a full scholarship verbal commitment to PSU and not those who are accepting a rather limited Verbal to Maryland.

As a side note, having gone through this with a baseball son a few years back, what coaches & recruiters always told us "If you could throw a 95mph fastball or hit a 95mph fastball" a school would always be able to 'find' you scholarship money. Unfortunately my son could do neither, and I'm not sure what the lacrosse analogy would be, but even in later years there are slots available, so this whole notion of slots disappearing is not quite true for kids who can really play.

Where did it say that this kid got a "Full Scholarship"? PSU carries 43 players. I know many coaches like to give something to each kid. That equals about 0.3 of a scholarship or around $14K for out of state tuition of $48K.

I don't think it ever did, anywhere. Just speculations on such an early valuable commit. Lets not blow that out of proportion, only the family and school will truly know what was offered to them.
Yes, I shouldn't have speculated 'full scholarship' and stuck with 'substantial', but let's be honest, if he's truly the #1 recruit in the country for both 2020 & 2019 as some have said on these forums, then anything less than 95% for such an early top rated recruit is not what I would expect. And I'm speaking in general terms, not even this particular player/family. Would go for any Top 5 recruit in any sport.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People are on here questioning why an extremely talented 2020 would early commit, while I'm guessing he got a pretty substantial commitment from PSU.
The one's I don't quite understand are the 15+ 2019s committing to Maryland. (A similar state school to PSU, btw.) So far there are 7 Middies and 3 FO/M. Are they committing just for a chance to try-out? with a good chance of being red-shirted freshman year and possibly the next. I'm guessing 2018 has a similar sized class, which then brings it to how much money is actually available when there are only 12.6 scholarships available per team, with a roster size around 50 the athletic scholarship money can't be much. (I realize there's always academic money)
Again, not sure why some are questioning a full scholarship verbal commitment to PSU and not those who are accepting a rather limited Verbal to Maryland.

As a side note, having gone through this with a baseball son a few years back, what coaches & recruiters always told us "If you could throw a 95mph fastball or hit a 95mph fastball" a school would always be able to 'find' you scholarship money. Unfortunately my son could do neither, and I'm not sure what the lacrosse analogy would be, but even in later years there are slots available, so this whole notion of slots disappearing is not quite true for kids who can really play.

Where did it say that this kid got a "Full Scholarship"? PSU carries 43 players. I know many coaches like to give something to each kid. That equals about 0.3 of a scholarship or around $14K for out of state tuition of $48K.

I don't think it ever did, anywhere. Just speculations on such an early valuable commit. Lets not blow that out of proportion, only the family and school will truly know what was offered to them.
Yes, I shouldn't have speculated 'full scholarship' and stuck with 'substantial', but let's be honest, if he's truly the #1 recruit in the country for both 2020 & 2019 as some have said on these forums, then anything less than 95% for such an early top rated recruit is not what I would expect. And I'm speaking in general terms, not even this particular player/family. Would go for any Top 5 recruit in any sport.

Not true, the very best are getting 50-70% of total cost, I know a few that have been considered the best in their positions and this is what they are getting. Some say full ride because they are getting 100% of tuition, which is not really a full ride. I think any kid that gets upwards of 25% of total cost has done really well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true, the very best are getting 50-70% of total cost, I know a few that have been considered the best in their positions and this is what they are getting. Some say full ride because they are getting 100% of tuition, which is not really a full ride. I think any kid that gets upwards of 25% of total cost has done really well.
Agree with this, this has been our experience as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree with this, this has been our experience as well.

The way it was explained to me with my son is that no one gets a full ride, the max you can get is your full tuition covered. Room and board are never covered and unless your dirt poor youre not getting financial aid. Depending on his academics my son has the opportunity to get up to his full tuition covered. From what Ive seen and heard anything more than 25 percent is big

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think de-committing is starting to happen at a more rapid pace as is poaching committed players. There are plenty of stories of kids not getting in to their committed university for a variety of reasons including academics. It would be more interesting to see how many play all four years at college. Many drop out before their junior year

And many are NOT de-committing in the Jr (2017) class. Our son was a very early freshman commit to a top 20 D1 program. he has had a few other D1 programs "lightly" approach him thru a club coaches, but it was NEVER a "rapid pace of poaching". And exact same goes for several of our friends sons in same age. that committed as freshman also.

We read stuff on here 2 years ago that kids like mine would "de-commit" or not be as good as they got older or wouldn't get in due to academics. Well our son KEPT his committed, the coach HASNT been fired, he was approved by admissions an he is nationally ranked player.

So any of you with younger kids committed already, dont believe half the crap you hear or read, dont let these people who's kids are NOT being actively recruited SCARE you. Most are are envious/jealous of you and your son.

Only thing to say to someones son whom commits at ANY age is - CONGRATS.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think de-committing is starting to happen at a more rapid pace as is poaching committed players. There are plenty of stories of kids not getting in to their committed university for a variety of reasons including academics. It would be more interesting to see how many play all four years at college. Many drop out before their junior year

And many are NOT de-committing in the Jr (2017) class. Our son was a very early freshman commit to a top 20 D1 program. he has had a few other D1 programs "lightly" approach him thru a club coaches, but it was NEVER a "rapid pace of poaching". And exact same goes for several of our friends sons in same age. that committed as freshman also.

We read stuff on here 2 years ago that kids like mine would "de-commit" or not be as good as they got older or wouldn't get in due to academics. Well our son KEPT his committed, the coach HASNT been fired, he was approved by admissions an he is nationally ranked player.

So any of you with younger kids committed already, dont believe half the crap you hear or read, dont let these people who's kids are NOT being actively recruited SCARE you. Most are are envious/jealous of you and your son.

Exactly the same story over here. You are on Point!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think your nuts but congrats to your kid who has a good head on his shoulders. Be real man not alot of kids are that focused. I have four and only one knew what he wanted to do. They are all athletic and played hs lax. Just because a kid makes a verbal doesn't mean alot in most cases. If you were a kid wouldn't you want to go to duke or ND? Who wouldn't. Maybe two out of ten really know what they want to do. Don't try to encourage people to tell their kid oh that's great. Your leaving out alot of info. You could probably afford it but others may not. That's just for starters. If I have to explain the rest to you then you have problems. What's good for one may not be good for others so put a lid on it. People like you would make other kids feel like crap nd you would enjoy it I'm sure. Think before you speak. Happy easter. Go say a prayer for those less fortunate. Tone it down a bit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congratulations to all of the young men and women who have been recognized by college coaches and have been recruited and accepted offers. You have been blessed with athletic ability and I am sure that you have worked extremely hard on the field and in the classroom.

To all the jealous bitter haters out there. Give it a rest. Be happy for someone other than you child.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's the key .You think people are jealous of you the parent..Wake up no one cares about you the father.Its about the kid to a lot of us but obviously your ego is more important than your sons well being..Think about it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think your nuts but congrats to your kid who has a good head on his shoulders. Be real man not alot of kids are that focused. I have four and only one knew what he wanted to do. They are all athletic and played hs lax. Just because a kid makes a verbal doesn't mean alot in most cases. If you were a kid wouldn't you want to go to duke or ND? Who wouldn't. Maybe two out of ten really know what they want to do. Don't try to encourage people to tell their kid oh that's great. Your leaving out alot of info. You could probably afford it but others may not. That's just for starters. If I have to explain the rest to you then you have problems. What's good for one may not be good for others so put a lid on it. People like you would make other kids feel like crap nd you would enjoy it I'm sure. Think before you speak. Happy easter. Go say a prayer for those less fortunate. Tone it down a bit.

I really don't get when people say that the kids don't know what they want to do. Most of these big schools have great business programs, science programs and liberal arts. You need graduate/secondary schooling in most cases to go on to be a lawyer, dr, teacher, journalist, therapist, etc. You may be able to land a job in business at an entry level spot, but many go for their MBA as well. It's not like these kids are choosing schools that don't have well established programs that will meet the interests and goals of 95% of incoming freshman. Plus, come sophomore year when you declare a major many kids are still undecided and choose a major that they will not end up working in ever.

I personally think if you are offered a sizable chunk off of any decent school, it's a win! I agree with the previous poster as well- only thing to say to an early commit is congratulations.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree with most of what youre saying here, I have a committed son as well but our experience has been a little different as he did not commit as early as your son. If a kid such as yours stays the course and is able to get into a rigorous academic school and keeps his commitment he should get all the credit in the world as it is not easy for a kid that age to stay focused and keep his eyes on the prize.

I think where a lot of the negativity and jealousy comes from are these so called "high school lacrosse experts" who are ranking kids in 8th and 9th grade which puts undue pressure and attention on kids who should be focusing on getting better and enjoying high school not worrying about where they are ranked. As I think you know, those rankings are HIGHLY subjective and in the scheme of things mean absolutely nothing. This is not to disparage your son in any way as I am sure he is a fine player but the reality is most of those rankings are self serving and political. The only true measure of a player is their impact on a varsity field not what some so called "expert" thinks because he saw the kid at some showcase or club tournament. Some kids stand out early and everyone knows they will be great players moving forward, as for the rest I think that story is written as they progress. Some will go on to do great things, others will not.

Finally I completely agree with your last statement, any kid who commits to a D1 program in the current competitive climate as it is deserves to be congratulated and celebrated, not criticized as it is a pretty darn impressive accomplishment considering the statistics of how many kids actually get the opportunity to play college lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't note this to poke anything negative at families or kids, but the context does beg for a few more details. My son is also a 2017, he did not commit early. He had some opportunities but not ones that were at schools on his very narrow dream list, or they were weaker academic colleges we as parents just blocked off. He is a good enough student and player to go the NECSAC route. Our family does get lightly approached as well about the possibility of being a preferred walk on (a roster spot recruit with no money) by a few now including, to my surprise, one on his very short list from 9th grade.

His very short list in 9th grade had three schools, all of which were fabulous lacrosse programs at good academic colleges, but now his preferences with a blank piece of paper are none of the three.

The 2017 class was the first one where early 9th graders committed in large numbers. But early recruiting was hardly pioneered in his class. There are current college sophs who committed as rising sophs in large numbers. I would argue this trend has reached onto the field and we are getting early data on the early recruiting now.

Hopkins = nailed it with the class that is now sophs, they appear to have found a few freshmen who can play. Their HS early commits in our hotbed area I'd say are some hit and many miss. One Final Four last year after 8 years of no Final Fours.

UNC = kind of a mess. They rode the Sankey / Bitter show (which was last year's college seniors who were from an era before 9th or early 10th grade ER in large #s) with ok results. They are not strong this year and look like a program that will be in build mode for the next 1-2 years. No Final Fours in last decade. I have seen all of the early recruits in our area and most in other areas to UNC and as a whole it is a very underwhelming group. Breschi knows he needs to poach like crazy in the next few years to survive and he is doing it in a big way.

UVA = absolulte dumpster fire to quote Quint Kessenich. Half the kids on the team are considering quitting (my son is very close friends with two first year players and we know one of their families very well). The current players and families seem happy enough with UVA as a school, but there is a pall hanging over the program and it is hard to imagine the coach won't leave after this year. I have seen UVA recruits in our area and around and it has a star or two in each class, but then a lot of mistakes after that.

I think people should suspend belief over "what can't happen" or "what never happened" considering there hasn't been an era like the one starting now where programs can implode fast by recruiting and managing the program poorly for a few years...then it starts to show up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't note this to poke anything negative at families or kids, but the context does beg for a few more details. My son is also a 2017, he did not commit early. He had some opportunities but not ones that were at schools on his very narrow dream list, or they were weaker academic colleges we as parents just blocked off. He is a good enough student and player to go the NECSAC route. Our family does get lightly approached as well about the possibility of being a preferred walk on (a roster spot recruit with no money) by a few now including, to my surprise, one on his very short list from 9th grade.

His very short list in 9th grade had three schools, all of which were fabulous lacrosse programs at good academic colleges, but now his preferences with a blank piece of paper are none of the three.

The 2017 class was the first one where early 9th graders committed in large numbers. But early recruiting was hardly pioneered in his class. There are current college sophs who committed as rising sophs in large numbers. I would argue this trend has reached onto the field and we are getting early data on the early recruiting now.

Hopkins = nailed it with the class that is now sophs, they appear to have found a few freshmen who can play. Their HS early commits in our hotbed area I'd say are some hit and many miss. One Final Four last year after 8 years of no Final Fours.

UNC = kind of a mess. They rode the Sankey / Bitter show (which was last year's college seniors who were from an era before 9th or early 10th grade ER in large #s) with ok results. They are not strong this year and look like a program that will be in build mode for the next 1-2 years. No Final Fours in last decade. I have seen all of the early recruits in our area and most in other areas to UNC and as a whole it is a very underwhelming group. Breschi knows he needs to poach like crazy in the next few years to survive and he is doing it in a big way.

UVA = absolulte dumpster fire to quote Quint Kessenich. Half the kids on the team are considering quitting (my son is very close friends with two first year players and we know one of their families very well). The current players and families seem happy enough with UVA as a school, but there is a pall hanging over the program and it is hard to imagine the coach won't leave after this year. I have seen UVA recruits in our area and around and it has a star or two in each class, but then a lot of mistakes after that.

I think people should suspend belief over "what can't happen" or "what never happened" considering there hasn't been an era like the one starting now where programs can implode fast by recruiting and managing the program poorly for a few years...then it starts to show up.

You make total sense, it all comes down to this: nothing is for sure until they sign the NLI and then it is only guaranteed for a year. If you child "commits" with this in mind, then they won't be totally surprised if something changes. I would say, you ALWAYS need to have a back-up plan. Will early "commitments" work for some kids, yes, will they not work out for others, yes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You make total sense, it all comes down to this: nothing is for sure until they sign the NLI and then it is only guaranteed for a year. If you child "commits" with this in mind, then they won't be totally surprised if something changes. I would say, you ALWAYS need to have a back-up plan. Will early "commitments" work for some kids, yes, will they not work out for others, yes.

I'm not sure if this is true anywhere else, but I have seen the Penn State NLI. It stated in writing that the agreed scholarship amount is guaranteed for all 4 years, and will not be reduced. It can go up based on performance, but not down. Maybe that's a reason that certain schools offers are more attractive than others?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe the B1G conference put that 4 year clause into NLIs in 2014. Not all programs or conferences have the same. That written, one further caution. The money can be guaranteed for 4 years, but the coach can still cut a player. That's happened before at some programs in and beyond the B1G. For example, lots of kids transfer out of Maryland after first year. Tillman constructively exits kids by telling them they are out of the picture and he'll give them a release if they'd like to play somewhere else. That's no different from being cut.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From Quint Kessenich's piece in Inside Lacrosse magazine today.

"Early recruiting is disgusting: The evaluation and recruitment of eighth- and ninth-graders disgusts me. Penn State recently reached a verbal agreement with an eighth-grader. It's flat out wrong on many levels. Coaches I respect and admire are participating. They must not see the damage they are doing at the high school level to kids and their families. Nobody benefits from this."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't belive the parents on this site. Any kid that gives a verbal so early I guess you can call it good thing. Talk to me when the kid signs a letter then I'll be happy. See most people are true to themselves and of their children. I for one know that my kids can make any travel A team around here. That's with taking the politics out of it and basing it on talent. So what should I do take them to a college that I can't afford or wait that he can't afford. See people this is reality. Most people don't have the big bucks that most of you on this site seem to have. I would never do that too my kids. Why feed them a dream when I know they are above average students and not scholars. You see this is what real people think about when there kid is talking about college. Maybe you should try to have friends that are average as far as income and not as fancy of a car that you have. Don't look down upon others cause carma is a [lacrosse]. People aren't mad that the kid gave a verbal it's more about the parents on this site. You need to get a life and be realistic. You think your kid could go to a 50 or 60k school if you didn't make alot of money. You would not be writing stuff on this site if your position was different. Be thankful you got it like that. The percentage of kids committing to D1 schools is nothing compared to the amount of kids that are playing the sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't belive the parents on this site. Any kid that gives a verbal so early I guess you can call it good thing. Talk to me when the kid signs a letter then I'll be happy. See most people are true to themselves and of their children. I for one know that my kids can make any travel A team around here. That's with taking the politics out of it and basing it on talent. So what should I do take them to a college that I can't afford or wait that he can't afford. See people this is reality. Most people don't have the big bucks that most of you on this site seem to have. I would never do that too my kids. Why feed them a dream when I know they are above average students and not scholars. You see this is what real people think about when there kid is talking about college. Maybe you should try to have friends that are average as far as income and not as fancy of a car that you have. Don't look down upon others cause carma is a [lacrosse]. People aren't mad that the kid gave a verbal it's more about the parents on this site. You need to get a life and be realistic. You think your kid could go to a 50 or 60k school if you didn't make alot of money. You would not be writing stuff on this site if your position was different. Be thankful you got it like that. The percentage of kids committing to D1 schools is nothing compared to the amount of kids that are playing the sport.
what's carma?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First of all, if finances are an issue for you? You need to look into needs based aid. If you're looking at Ivies and Patriots, and make less than $150,000 a year, you're looking at getting 50% on needs based alone. Bring your income down to $75,000 and you're looking at nearly 100% needs based. Many other schools follow the same program. If money is still an issue, look at SUNY schools. $22-23k a year or less. Further, if your son has decent grades and is an exceptional lacrosse player he may be able to garner upwards of 55% at a $57,000 a year school at a mid-level D1 program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's another novel thought; if money is tight stop shelling out thousands for travel lacrosse, over priced showcases, off season training, personal coaches, etc. Amazed at how many people cannot get the money out of their pocket fast enough to pay for travel lacrosse but then complain they can't afford college. Everyone makes choices.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"Early recruiting is disgusting: The evaluation and recruitment of eighth- and ninth-graders disgusts me. Penn State recently reached a verbal agreement with an eighth-grader. It's flat out wrong on many levels. Coaches I respect and admire are participating. They must not see the damage they are doing at the high school level to kids and their families. Nobody benefits from this."

Quint is biggest jerk off of all time looks like an elf

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're right. It isn't like he's the greatest living goalie or own national championships at Hopkins. What does he know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excellent goalie, Hall of Fame definitely. Don't know about 'greatest living'.

Plus, if he thinks early recruiting is disgusting, how can he say in the next line 'coaches I respect'. That respect should be thrown out the window if he truly believes it's disgusting.

It's just as bad as the coaches who say it's wrong but early recruit anyway.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're right. It isn't like he's the greatest living goalie or own national championships at Hopkins. What does he know.

Glad that Hopkins degree is paying off, lol!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Was there a point in this mess somewhere? Drunk posting is usually not a good idea.......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hes wrong, the money grubbing clubs and useless showcases benefit greatly from this.........

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just because he had some success on the field doesn't mean he's the all knowing lax god. When he has the opportunity, does he use his time on TV to call these schools out on early recruiting? NO. Does he call for change and an age based system in the youth leagues with all the holdbacks and double holdbacks? NO. How about his girlfriend Carc? He runs the most exclusive Showcase in Lacrosse recruiting. Does he stand up and make the that event age based? NO. That's all you need to know about Quint, he's a coward as is his buddy. Just soaking the game for as much money as they can. Plain and simple.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just because he had some success on the field doesn't mean he's the all knowing lax god. When he has the opportunity, does he use his time on TV to call these schools out on early recruiting? NO. Does he call for change and an age based system in the youth leagues with all the holdbacks and double holdbacks? NO. How about his girlfriend Carc? He runs the most exclusive Showcase in Lacrosse recruiting. Does he stand up and make the that event age based? NO. That's all you need to know about Quint, he's a coward as is his buddy. Just soaking the game for as much money as they can. Plain and simple.
Ironically, both you guys have a good point....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

To be fair I have heard him on gameday blasting the recruiting process and he has always been critical of the club lacrosse circuit. As far as Carc and Showtime, no one in lacrosse runs age based showcases so you cant be too critical of him for that. If your saying he should stand up and be a leader and make it age based, your point is well taken. I think Quint and Carc honestly care about the game. Yes they are both benefiting financially from it, but I think there are other people to point to that need to step up and make the changes necessary.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry, I'm confused now. Does Quint's employer ESPN have a club lacrosse program I'm unaware of? His ESPN paycheck is for covering college lacrosse, but he's one of few guys who has crossed the chasm to be a very successful ESPN reporter and broadcaster in other college sports. He doesn't make a living from lacrosse, and for years ran a goalie camp at Boys' Latin for kids down all the way to age 8. My son did that camp twice and it was fantastic. Based on what it cost and how many coaches were there instructing I doubt Quint cleared much if any money from it.

Quint's job in the booth is not to politic the innards of the game. His job is to cover the game. As a writer for Inside Lacrosse he is covering a wider scope and makes his opinion editorial known. Clearly some don't agree with his views on early recruiting, but is not expressing that view on anonymous chat boards. At some level it might be uncomfortable for Quint to know Petro and others well but also criticize them where he disagrees, but he walks that line and does it. That is not cowardly, it's just a view you don't like hearing.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

How do you know what he does and doesnt do!!! Your just assuming you know. What the guy has is years of experience playing at the highest level, years of experience coaching, and years of experience covering lacrosse, and as a matter of fact other college sports for ESPN. What more do you need to receive some credit and respect by all the All American parents on this site. Come on people. What more can the guy do to let coaches know that he hates the early recruiting. He said how he feels and now people are attacking him.

Whats your profession. Arent you just soaking up what you do to make a living because you are good at it. You make no sense

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If anyone is interested Penn State over undefeated #1 Denver 15-10 final. In this current enviornment any given day.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just played the rewind of MSG varsity's All star show where they picked their Metro MVP's for 2015 Carc was saying how he thought HS is much better lax than club HS. How HS is the best way to see how a kid plays. He absolutely downed the notion of Early recruiting to the point that I know may put him in

WHAT? REALLY!

I am sure his tune will change after he sees some of these true young guns play.

Id love to see some of the top 2020 club teams play some of these JV teams tlk about precision and practice till perfection.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing on a top club team does get you to the most competitive events against better competition, but in my opinion the better the club team the worse the player development. The top clubs just want the club resume to read success placing kids to colleges, so they rush that early process and then move on. Have you seen a 10th or an 11th grade club lacrosse event in the past year? UGLY. Lots of committed kids who haven't gotten better since 8th grade. Just plain ugly. Top club teams also have the effect of hiding pretty good players and on a top team it gets harder to not mistake them as better players than they are. Filling a narrow role on a club team and playing in only a few games that are better than 15-3 type scores doesn't prepare a kid physically or mentally to play college lacrosse. This is one thing that Quint opined on and he is right.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing on a top club team does get you to the most competitive events against better competition, but in my opinion the better the club team the worse the player development. The top clubs just want the club resume to read success placing kids to colleges, so they rush that early process and then move on. Have you seen a 10th or an 11th grade club lacrosse event in the past year? UGLY. Lots of committed kids who haven't gotten better since 8th grade. Just plain ugly. Top club teams also have the effect of hiding pretty good players and on a top team it gets harder to not mistake them as better players than they are. Filling a narrow role on a club team and playing in only a few games that are better than 15-3 type scores doesn't prepare a kid physically or mentally to play college lacrosse. This is one thing that Quint opined on and he is right.

Everything is relative but to me if that is what you see you not watching a top club play. Question, How many top clubs keep it together past summer after soph year? I'd agree on scond tier

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No the kid who was the stud in 8th grade was the early bloomer and looked head and shoulders above everyone else. This is so true in so many cases. Seen it time and time again. And when other kids catch up in regards to growth and puberty it's a different story.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No the kid who was the stud in 8th grade was the early bloomer and looked head and shoulders above everyone else. This is so true in so many cases. Seen it time and time again. And when other kids catch up in regards to growth and puberty it's a different story.

I've had different experieneces. The 8th grade varsity pull-ups I know may have dipped a year (sophomore slumps - it happens) but in my experience are still the top kids in the class . Not to say others in other peoples experience it is different but you say time and time again I don't see time and time again.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have seen many early bloomers in 8th and 9th grade look incredible because they reached puberty early and became bigger stronger faster and when the other boys caught up they didn't look so good. And a lot of kids surpass them. I think with this early recruiting we will see the parity continue through college lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've had different experieneces. The 8th grade varsity pull-ups I know may have dipped a year (sophomore slumps - it happens) but in my experience are still the top kids in the class . Not to say others in other peoples experience it is different but you say time and time again I don't see time and time again.

This wouldn't be a problem if only the handful of 8th grade studs brought up to varsity were the ones being recruited early. The issue here is that every single college commit these days is being recruited/committed early.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game

How do you know what he does and doesnt do!!! Your just assuming you know. What the guy has is years of experience playing at the highest level, years of experience coaching, and years of experience covering lacrosse, and as a matter of fact other college sports for ESPN. What more do you need to receive some credit and respect by all the All American parents on this site. Come on people. What more can the guy do to let coaches know that he hates the early recruiting. He said how he feels and now people are attacking him.

Whats your profession. Arent you just soaking up what you do to make a living because you are good at it. You make no sense

Obviously, you have some sort of personal connection here. However, I will engage you. So I ask you: Is Lacrosse now just a business? Or is it a sport? To compare it to a regular business is a ridiculous notion. When you make your living off the sport you played, you should, and will be held to a higher standard. You should be a role model for the sport. You should fight for change and use your position to better the game. Can you agree with that?
To your point, these guys reached the highest levels of the sport. With that, comes a responsibility to be a leader. To stand up for what's right. In PC's case, when you line your pockets with the cash of parents of kids who are trying to get recruited, you'd better be squeaky clean. When your camp promotes and allows kids who are two years older than age appropriate players to play down in your event, you my friend are part of the problem. He's feeding the early recruiting machine, plain and simple. When you have the platform (ESPN) and the top camp, you're in a position to help change what's wrong with game. When you instead choose to follow the money, you lose respect with people. You can sugar coat it all you want, but the guy is disingenuous. So what he says, and what does (and profits from) are two very different things. Not sure of where that guy was in 8th or 9th grade, but if he was competing for a spot at SU against kids two years older, like todays 8th and 9th graders have to do at his exclusive camp, there's more than a significant chance he never makes it.

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 58 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard