BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23
Re: Girls 2019-9th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hallelujah!!! Age-based divisions!! Now how do we get the club world to follow??

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hallelujah!!! Age-based divisions!! Now how do we get the club world to follow??

Where is this going on? Is this a bigger issue outside NY/LI because I don't see it and have been at this a long time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Where is this going on? Is this a bigger issue outside NY/LI because I don't see it and have been at this a long time.

Well of course it is rampant on the boy's side, but it also happens in the girl's game. It will be interesting to see who is impacted most. I will venture that Maryland has the biggest problem because of their "pre-first" years that many on the private school side take. But I know of at least two girls on my daughter's team that are a year older than "normal" for 2019s. Good move by US Lax

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well of course it is rampant on the boy's side, but it also happens in the girl's game. It will be interesting to see who is impacted most. I will venture that Maryland has the biggest problem because of their "pre-first" years that many on the private school side take. But I know of at least two girls on my daughter's team that are a year older than "normal" for 2019s. Good move by US Lax

You will see it impact the girls travel lax game this year at the national championships this year as they have gone to U15, U14 etc so some kids will not get to play with their teammates and will be forced to play age appropriate. Yes this goes on in LI also .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You will see it impact the girls travel lax game this year at the national championships this year as they have gone to U15, U14 etc so some kids will not get to play with their teammates and will be forced to play age appropriate. Yes this goes on in LI also .

Do you know of front line tournaments that will have age based divisions?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't know how they could for this summer. All the rosters should already be in including the "big" ones down in the Richmond area. I think everyone has already been getting the emails about the waivers and been booking their hotel rooms for the "big" tournaments. I've been hearing that this summer is the "major" ones for the 2019's - going from freshman year to sophomore year in high school. This will probably have more of an impact on the younger age groups.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

None. US Lax Championship at usually and that's it. Same as now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Probably true for this year, but I bet by next summer things will be changing ... Can't wait to watch all the crying by the people who thought they were giving their kid an advantage by holding them back or starting them late. Finally some sanity.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Probably true for this year, but I bet by next summer things will be changing ... Can't wait to watch all the crying by the people who thought they were giving their kid an advantage by holding them back or starting them late. Finally some sanity.

I wonder how they are going to do it for the Brine and UA games. That should be interesting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]

I wonder how they are going to do it for the Brine and UA games. That should be interesting.

It will be age based

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UA will remain the same. underclass is underclass no matter age. All American is All American no matter what age. People need to stop crying about this and let the girls play. The good ones could care less how old their opponent is as long as its competition. All thru High school, College and Life they will have to compete for things against all different types of competitive advantages. Age, race, religion, gender and social standing will be some of the obstacles they will face. They will manage, can you ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UA will remain the same. underclass is underclass no matter age. All American is All American no matter what age. People need to stop crying about this and let the girls play. The good ones could care less how old their opponent is as long as its competition. All thru High school, College and Life they will have to compete for things against all different types of competitive advantages. Age, race, religion, gender and social standing will be some of the obstacles they will face. They will manage, can you ?

Typical red herring argument. This is mainly about youth age groups, 14 and under. And it is important. Lit isn't about coddling kids, in fact it's the opposite. The people who hold back their kids for athletic advantage r the ones who don't know how to compete. Your logic, as always, is flawed. But keep on ranting. Nice job US Lax!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK and why is it important ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First of all, on the boys side, it's a big safety issue. You have 15 and 14 yr olds playing down w 13 and 12 yr olds. The disparity in sizes and physical development is large. Secondly, it stops people from gaming the system. I don't know how one can argue that that is a bad thing. If your argument is, it happens everywhere, this can now be one place where it doesn't. All the other youth sports have gone this way with great success. Why r the lax crazies the only ones that can't stand to see the playing field leveled? What is it that you are afraid of?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I care because I coach at the youth level and I think it is the right thing to do for the sport. It has nothing to do w my own daughter. It has to do with the majority of kids out there. My daughter is "on age" for her grade and is committed to a D1 program. I could make the argument in her case that what's the big deal, she has to compete w older kids anyway etc. But I don't. I have a desire to make the game as safe as possible and I have a desire for the game to uphold an integrity and sense of fair competition that apparently you don't share. To each his own.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why must you put in your post your daughter is a D1 commit? What does that have to do with anything?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Simple question for you, is you daughter/son playing in the age appropriate group based on the new guidelines?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually my daughter is a young HS sr who will not be 18 until December of her freshmen year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why must you put in your post your daughter is a D1 commit? What does that have to do with anything?

Because u r claiming that the reason people are complaining about the unfair advantage of older kids playing down is because their kids aren't good enough and can't compete. I am telling you I am complaining about the unfair advantage older kids playing down have, even though my kid could compete. Get it?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not claiming that at all. I'm good with you complaining about the unfair advantage, very noble and i agree, just tired of people coming on here having to tell us they have a D1 commit kid. We will never know if you have a D1 commit, its an anonymous site. Get it?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not claiming that at all. I'm good with you complaining about the unfair advantage, very noble and i agree, just tired of people coming on here having to tell us they have a D1 commit kid. We will never know if you have a D1 commit, its an anonymous site. Get it?

Yes ... but there was a point to it. Don't HAVE to tell you that. It helped make my point. I shall recede into the anonymous background now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter would like to be a D1 commit. But, I'll take the academics of a lot of D3 programs. Now that we have that out of the way:
She is in her first year in high school competing against girls who are a year to 3 years older than her. She's holding her own. I know that through the summer travel season - we played some club teams with a majority of players that were bigger and faster in general - but that seems to have been a few years back. Now, it looks like most club teams are about on par from a visual perspective. What I'm curious about is whether these club teams will now reshuffle their rosters to comply with the new rules.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter plays D1 and never played travel. Starts as a freshman. Don't worry too much about club ball. If your daughter is a good player and has the academics then they will find her.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter plays D1 and never played travel. Starts as a freshman. Don't worry too much about club ball. If your daughter is a good player and has the academics then they will find her.
Not sure this is the best advice. Kudos to your daughter but there are very few non-club players being recruited to top 20 lacrosse programs. And i think the "they will find them advice" also not great advice, particularly is the girl is not playing on a very competitive club team. Clearly can happen (see your daughter), but is not typical.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did not see where the poster said anything about her daughter playing top 20 D1 . Reality is there are very few girls period, being recruited to play top 20

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes ... but there was a point to it. Don't HAVE to tell you that. It helped make my point. I shall recede into the anonymous background now.

If you want to really see how bs are all these verbal commits that everyone likes to advertise can be go take a picture of the various list from 2013/14/15 and then go try and find them on that roster as freshman or sophs - I think you will be blown away at the amount that never get there or are gone after one year (for a variety of reasons)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
She did a high school tournament and they were looking at another girl and saw her. They gave her money as well because of her academics. Very good athlete and scholar

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
She did a high school tournament and they were looking at another girl and saw her. They gave her money as well because of her academics. Very good athlete and scholar

Wow, if I were you - I would have bought a lottery ticket.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did not see where the poster said anything about her daughter playing top 20 D1 . Reality is there are very few girls period, being recruited to play top 20
about 200 to be precise assuming 20 teams x 10 recruits per school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Come on really. So that means one person that you don't know got into a D1 school. I guess it doesn't happen. Why would I lie. I'm proud to tell people that cause it just happened to work out that way. I guess she's very lucky.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good for you and your daughter. Take the good luck when you can get it, plenty of times you get the bad luck. Not to get personnel, but can you give us the range of the D1 school(top 30/40) etc? Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's in the top 30. Could not be happier for her. All her hard work on and off the field payed off for her. Plus the fact that she plays is even better. I guess you can call it a fairytale ending. She got the best of both worlds. Just don't get caught up in the travel teams. Not saying they are bad but just pick and choose where you kid goes even if she gets mad at you. Be realistic in the evaluation of your child and things will work out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just want to make sure i have the facts straight, before i quit travel lax. She didnt play travel, was playing at a hs tournament with her hs team and got academic and athletic money? Does she play for a really good hs team? Is she like a 100+ gpa/1600 sat kid? Like i said i'm on the fence about wasting a lot of money on travel lax with painful parents.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Just want to make sure i have the facts straight, before i quit travel lax. She didnt play travel, was playing at a hs tournament with her hs team and got academic and athletic money? Does she play for a really good hs team? Is she like a 100+ gpa/1600 sat kid? Like i said i'm on the fence about wasting a lot of money on travel lax with painful parents. [/quote

If you are on the fence and your kid could take or leave it I would quit and invest the money in tutoring, AP classes and focus on academics. Much better ROI in my opinion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes big high school. Always in playoffs. But don't get me wrong I am not saying travel isn't good I'm just saying I know of alot of kids that didn't do travel that went to good D1 and D2 schools that are good local schools. I guess it depends on what you want to do for your child. I pulled my other kids out of travel and they now only play for the high school and I got them on a team that is doing some recruiting tournaments. You just have to really evaluate you child and do what you think is best for her or him. My other kids played travel for five years and now I took them out. I. Saving alot of money and the tournaments they are going to is reasonable. The best part is I have a life again.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe I am a whack job, but is anyone else out there trying to talk their daughter out of playing in college???? my 2019 looks borderline D1, more likely D3. but in either case working your butt off, all the early mornings, workouts, fall tournaments.. I just don't see the value... each your there's what 3 programs (MD, UNC, SU) that have a chance to win it all?? everyone else is playing exhibition lacrosse almost right?

why not enjoy college, get some great grades, make friends beyond the 35 girls on the roster, things like that. gonna be many years of getting up early and going off to work after school, in the real world..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe I am a whack job, but is anyone else out there trying to talk their daughter out of playing in college???? my 2019 looks borderline D1, more likely D3. but in either case working your butt off, all the early mornings, workouts, fall tournaments.. I just don't see the value... each your there's what 3 programs (MD, UNC, SU) that have a chance to win it all?? everyone else is playing exhibition lacrosse almost right?

why not enjoy college, get some great grades, make friends beyond the 35 girls on the roster, things like that. gonna be many years of getting up early and going off to work after school, in the real world..

All fair points, we know a handful of 2014's that quit after their freshman year. Most were in tough majors and couldn't handle the workload. None where top D1 though. A few who where considered studs in HS never saw the field in a game. I think a lot depends on the individual and situation. The girls we know where not getting any or little athletic money and felt it just wasn't worth it and were missing out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I guess you don't see the value in competing and working toward common goals. It isn't for everyone. I played a D3 sport and those games/practices/bus rides and teammates are some of my best memories of college. I learned great life lessons and challenged myself. There was no national championship we were chasing, we just loved to compete. It's too bad that that is lost on people. And I really enjoyed college, got some good grades, made friends beyond the 22 on my roster and things like that. I went on to graduate school, have had a fulfilling career and a great family. And I know for sure my life would be less full without the friends and experiences I had playing college sports. Is it the end all be all, probably not, but it is a very great thing for very many and emphatically disagree with your construct that there is no value in it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I guess you don't see the value in competing and working toward common goals. It isn't for everyone. I played a D3 sport and those games/practices/bus rides and teammates are some of my best memories of college. I learned great life lessons and challenged myself. There was no national championship we were chasing, we just loved to compete. It's too bad that that is lost on people. And I really enjoyed college, got some good grades, made friends beyond the 22 on my roster and things like that. I went on to graduate school, have had a fulfilling career and a great family. And I know for sure my life would be less full without the friends and experiences I had playing college sports. Is it the end all be all, probably not, but it is a very great thing for very many and emphatically disagree with your construct that there is no value in it.

I think you both have some very valid points. And when I do mention considering D3 for my daughter - I am treated almost like a pariah by a bunch of parents from her club team. Also coming from a D3 school and then onto grad school - I still have not lost sight of nor forgotten about why I went to college. Well, after the parties and all that - there was the education. Putting the education below lacrosse on the schools' criteria list totally baffles me.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you both have some very valid points. And when I do mention considering D3 for my daughter - I am treated almost like a pariah by a bunch of parents from her club team. Also coming from a D3 school and then onto grad school - I still have not lost sight of nor forgotten about why I went to college. Well, after the parties and all that - there was the education. Putting the education below lacrosse on the schools' criteria list totally baffles me.

oh so you ending up actually talking to some of the psycho lax parents?? sounds rough yeah. I bring my son and a football and steer clear of the cat fights..

Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard