BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 28 29
Re: WSYL NEW RULES
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The one change that I think is a shame is being able to take a tournament team and not have to bring your team that is on the roster from try outs. The beauty of it last year was that for most of the teams that went, these were the kids that had been playing and practicing together all year, possibly more. The team was united and each win or loss was handled well as these kids were true teammates, not just a tournament team required to play two tournaments together. I personally think the age cut off is a bit too wide and a 7/1 is better. There were kids turning 14 during the tourney while some were just turning 13 or not going to turn 13 for another month or two. That said- it was an incredible experience and worth the trip. I hope it is just as exciting for this year's teams.

but if it was 7/1 then someones son would be ineligible and miss a second trip to Denver. Not an option! That date was not arbitrary by any means, it was to accommodate certain individuals.

Kids that play up do not need this extended cut off, they would make the cut off without an extension- certain individuals would still make the tournament guidelines without any extensions at all. This was to accommodate all the late starters in MD and other states that follow the trend of pre first. This change was not made to accommodate any one kid and the conspiracy theories are really a bit over the top.

In theory you may have a point, unless of course a kid is a holdback and will be turning 13 right after the cutoff date, hmmm?

Yeah and.......some kids who will play in this tournament will be turning 14 right after the cutoff date. Not sure you still have a point.

My original point still stands that this date is not arbitrary and is acomidating to a 6th grade holdback who likes to brag about playing up!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The one change that I think is a shame is being able to take a tournament team and not have to bring your team that is on the roster from try outs. The beauty of it last year was that for most of the teams that went, these were the kids that had been playing and practicing together all year, possibly more. The team was united and each win or loss was handled well as these kids were true teammates, not just a tournament team required to play two tournaments together. I personally think the age cut off is a bit too wide and a 7/1 is better. There were kids turning 14 during the tourney while some were just turning 13 or not going to turn 13 for another month or two. That said- it was an incredible experience and worth the trip. I hope it is just as exciting for this year's teams.

but if it was 7/1 then someones son would be ineligible and miss a second trip to Denver. Not an option! That date was not arbitrary by any means, it was to accommodate certain individuals.

Kids that play up do not need this extended cut off, they would make the cut off without an extension- certain individuals would still make the tournament guidelines without any extensions at all. This was to accommodate all the late starters in MD and other states that follow the trend of pre first. This change was not made to accommodate any one kid and the conspiracy theories are really a bit over the top.

In theory you may have a point, unless of course a kid is a holdback and will be turning 13 right after the cutoff date, hmmm?

Yeah and.......some kids who will play in this tournament will be turning 14 right after the cutoff date. Not sure you still have a point.

My original point still stands that this date is not arbitrary and is acomidating to a 6th grade holdback who likes to brag about playing up!

How is it accommodating if a specific child will be TURNING 13!!!! Know your facts before you speak! This rule is not to accommodate any one child... it is to accommodate the later starters in other states!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Funny how with the new cut off date the 6th grader that you mentioned will be able to play in his 3rd WSYL next year also.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Funny that you all know one kids birthdate. Stop measuring your son against him, it's a losing battle for you all.

It makes me laugh when I read this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a 7th grader, born January 2003, and he does NOT care if he is playing someone who is older, bigger or better. From this upcoming middle school season until he gets through high school and maybe if he decides to play in college, it will be this way. Just a fact! I don't care either because its not going to change.
All I tell my son is to practice hard, play hard, be a good teammate and don't look back because there will always be someone chasing him.Don't worry about the opponents size or age because its out of his control.
I don't know where this quote came from, but I tell him
"When you lose say nothing, when you win, say less".

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And u would feel the same way if u had a oct 2003 like me.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a 7th grader, born January 2003, and he does NOT care if he is playing someone who is older, bigger or better. From this upcoming middle school season until he gets through high school and maybe if he decides to play in college, it will be this way. Just a fact! I don't care either because its not going to change.
All I tell my son is to practice hard, play hard, be a good teammate and don't look back because there will always be someone chasing him.Don't worry about the opponents size or age because its out of his control.
I don't know where this quote came from, but I tell him
"When you lose say nothing, when you win, say less".

VERY well stated. Hats off to you my friend!
RC

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It will take time for this to settle. The reality is the clubs that start building teams specifically for this event will dominate, and traditional clubs with grade based teams will not be able to compete and thus will probably drop out. So you will have a bunch of new clubs filling the void for traditional club programs that will lose interest quickly, probably this year or next. Especially once a few 7th graders get seriously hurt by 8th graders that are 15 months older and 50 lbs heavier.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It will take time for this to settle. The reality is the clubs that start building teams specifically for this event will dominate, and traditional clubs with grade based teams will not be able to compete and thus will probably drop out. So you will have a bunch of new clubs filling the void for traditional club programs that will lose interest quickly, probably this year or next. Especially once a few 7th graders get seriously hurt by 8th graders that are 15 months older and 50 lbs heavier.

Yes, surprised more people are not talking about how this will likely lead to some serious injuries where grade based teams with young 7th graders will be playing against much bigger and older 8th graders. Potential nightmare for kids, parents, coaches, and organizers. Should have stayed with everyone needing to meet the grade criteria. Less risk of someone getting hurt.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, surprised more people are not talking about how this will likely lead to some serious injuries where grade based teams with young 7th graders will be playing against much bigger and older 8th graders. Potential nightmare for kids, parents, coaches, and organizers. Should have stayed with everyone needing to meet the grade criteria. Less risk of someone getting hurt.

What?! Staying with grade criteria makes it worse considering the boatload of holdbacks in MD, MA and other areas, and now some of the two main LI orgs who are jumping on that bandwagon. At least some older kids were filtered out.

Age is the way to go, although 5/1 is way early. They should stick to FIL and US Lacrosse age rules or Jan 1 like other sports

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are any clubs even supporting this event this year? I would be surprised if the WSYL even exists in 2 years. While it's a good concept, the truth is, teams don't need to fly to Denver to play good competition. In fact, the competition that was there last year was terrible.

I don't believe Crabs 2021 is even going to the qualifier. Can anyone confirm what top clubs are participating in the qualifiers next month? So far it's been crickets in Maryland.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mesa koopers bethesda is all i have heard.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US lacrosse just adopted a new player segmentation policy for player safety. They are promoting players play within a 12 month age range with an age cutoff of September 1.

"Age is based on player's age as of September 1 in an attempt to align with the majority of school systems nationwide to allow players to play with people in their own grade level."

WSYL will have to comply next year for the safety of the kids. This year I guess will just be a free for all with a mix of ages and grades. Too bad for the kids it turned out to be such a mess this year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why do you think the WSYL will have to comply? They don't this year.....
US lacrosse just adopted a new player segmentation policy for player safety. They are promoting players play within a 12 month age range with an age cutoff of September 1.

"Age is based on player's age as of September 1 in an attempt to align with the majority of school systems nationwide to allow players to play with people in their own grade level."

WSYL will have to comply next year for the safety of the kids. This year I guess will just be a free for all with a mix of ages and grades. Too bad for the kids it turned out to be such a mess this year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How does this effect club lax teams will they be reshuffled

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think they will have to comply because it will be too expensive for club teams to try and manage a US lacrosse compliant club program (players playing within 12 month age range with September 1 cutoff) and an entirely separate team that never plays together picked from two separate age groups just for one weekend tournament. Would be absurd and a total nightmare. Clubs that follow US lacrosse guidelines won't participate because they won't be competitive and their kids will get injured playing the older kids in WSYL. WSYL should just align with the governing body recommendation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many of the tournaments are grade based and teams are grade-based. These teams simply don't play in age-based tournaments and don't care about USL rules, policies and governance. I don't see how this will have much of an impact . . . unless it's a U-based tournament.
I think they will have to comply because it will be too expensive for club teams to try and manage a US lacrosse compliant club program (players playing within 12 month age range with September 1 cutoff) and an entirely separate team that never plays together picked from two separate age groups just for one weekend tournament. Would be absurd and a total nightmare. Clubs that follow US lacrosse guidelines won't participate because they won't be competitive and their kids will get injured playing the older kids in WSYL. WSYL should just align with the governing body recommendation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many of the tournaments are grade based and teams are grade-based. These teams simply don't play in age-based tournaments and don't care about USL rules, policies and governance. I don't see how this will have much of an impact . . . unless it's a U-based tournament.

Rules are useless when there is no governance.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most of the North teams look pretty strong - Team 91, Icon, Igloo, LI Express, Eclipse, Primetime, Legacy, FCA Northeast, Cape Town & Team ASW

The West teams are less well-known - 3D dallas, Team West Coast, Colorado Crush, Mad Dog West, Denver Rifles, SoCal Express & Aces

Other regions not up yet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The WSYL North regional lists Team 91 2021 Orange/Blaze. Is this a combo team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What does Icon/Express mean? Did they grab kids from Express

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not really they only cut four kids off the roster.clearly the kids that won't be on the team next year anyway, nice

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You left out the #1 seed Legacy Taz. The Legacy team has about 10 players from the 2020 Taz team playing at the regionals. Now we know who wanted the 8th graders in. A lot of people on this website were wrong when they said 91 was the culprit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that is why this year is a joke. It is not going to be the best team but the program that is willing to use the rules to their advantage to build a 7/8 grade team that will win. Most will probably be loyal to their kids and play their true 2021 teams but some will not. It will be obvious. Next year will be better if WSYL consistent with US lacrosse. Makes sense for the kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that is why this year is a joke. It is not going to be the best team but the program that is willing to use the rules to their advantage to build a 7/8 grade team that will win. Most will probably be loyal to their kids and play their true 2021 teams but some will not. It will be obvious. Next year will be better if WSYL consistent with US lacrosse. Makes sense for the kids.

What teams will be loyal to their true 2021 teams? I don't know of any.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I bet most will, not all of these organizations are that disloyal.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then the organizations that are loyal to their 2021 team don't have any 2020 players born on or after 5/1/02.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then the organizations that are loyal to their 2021 team don't have any 2020 players born on or after 5/1/02.

So true

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loyal, Integrity , Upright, are works not associate with club lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it true that most of the 2021 teams ( Express, 91 and Legacy) are bring in 2020 kids to play for them?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They have posted the east regional teams on the wsyl website. Unless i am reading it incorrectly, it looks like the crabs will not be in this year's wsyl. The east group includes teams like green turtles, mesa, koopers, leading edge, diamondbacks, etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it true that most of the 2021 teams ( Express, 91 and Legacy) are bring in 2020 kids to play for them?
o the extent they meet the age cutoff yes

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can tell you Icon does not have a 2020 team, they will not and that staff would not take any 2020 kids. Don't know why a true 2021 would attend this year when other teams will take 2020 kids, not right, plan and simple. They will not be playing on the same playing field. What the WS people have done is hurt the 2021 teams as a whole. What are you telling some players you can play all year but for these tourney's we are taking older kids so you cannot play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They have posted the east regional teams on the wsyl website. Unless i am reading it incorrectly, it looks like the crabs will not be in this year's wsyl. The east group includes teams like green turtles, mesa, koopers, leading edge, diamondbacks, etc.

greene turtle and Koopers by far the class of that group. If they are really taking 4 teams the other 2 will be irrelevant.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. Express is not bringing 2020 players. They are bringing their 2021 team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. Express is not bringing 2020 players. They are bringing their 2021 team.

The real question is who will be there guest player or players being ICON is there as well my guess is they play for express....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Express is trying to recruit kids from other teams so I find it hard to believe that they are bringing no 2020 kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They were Orange and added the Blaze name.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

...and they are pulling kids from 2020 Crush. So the name above is not representative of a combo team, only the roster is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why?

Like Reply Quote
Page 5 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 28 29
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard