BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls 2025 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous. 10/16/19 08:47 PM
Boys 2024-8th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
by Anonymous. 10/16/19 05:15 PM
Boys 2027-5th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
by Anonymous. 10/16/19 05:14 PM
Girls 2021-11th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
by Anonymous. 10/16/19 04:48 PM
Boys 2026-6th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
by Anonymous. 10/16/19 03:56 PM
Boys 2025 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by RLangway. 10/16/19 03:55 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics1,807
Posts256,767
Members2,138
Most Online6,941
1 hour ago
SUBSCRIBE


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 121 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 120 121
Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154533
03/11/16 05:43 PM
03/11/16 05:43 PM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 57
M
MKVELE Offline
Back of THE CAGE
MKVELE  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
M

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am curious has past history of towns bringing up 7 & 8 graders to Varsity ever won anything?


Yes , all three state championship teams from last year have a history of moving middle school players up to the varsity.


West Islip does not have a history of moving MS players to Varsity. In their history only one girl has been brought up to Varsity as an 8th grader and she turned out to be an All American as a Junior.


So what you are saying is your program has a history of moving a player from middle school to varsity but you do not want that to count. She is a very good player and deserved to be moved up so they did , end of story.


No, I think the poster is saying that 1 girl being pulled up over however many years does not qualify as "having a history" of doing so. She was the exception, and apparently deservedly so.


Are you dense ? I don't care if they have done it 1 or 5 times they have "an established record " of moving a kid up which gives them a history of doing so. Deservedly so because she became an all American is more an opinion than factual. Knowing the kid she absolutely deserved to be pulled up , knowing the way the all American selection process works tells me that moniker means very little (very political) .The fact remains that any public school that can claim to be defending state champs in girls lacrosse this season have a history of pulling up middle school kids to play varsity lacrosse.
You're kind of right, If you do something once you have a history, Doing that thing continuously establishes a policy. Over the last 9 years of L.I. and State champs you can see a pattern.Not being sure of the make up of every team involved, I'm pretty sure FDale, 'set, GC and NPT, do not make bringing up M.S. kids policy ( not that they don't do it, the kid needs to be special) I am not sure about SWR so maybe someone can tell us, I'm pretty sure at the time it wasn't policy

out of 9 years (2007-2015)
FDale made 8 Li champ winning 6 with 6 state titles
GC made 6 LI champ winning 6 with 6states
SWR made 5 LI champ winning 5 with 5 states
'set made 6 LI champ winning 1 with 1 state
NPT made 3 LI champs winning 1 with 1 state

This history tells me that schools that play MOSTLY upperclassmen win, schools that resort to pulling up M.S. kids don't fare as well



BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: TommyM] #154537
03/11/16 06:26 PM
03/11/16 06:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Are the people that make the most noise about this the parents who's kid gets bumped for a younger player and then they all cry foul? To the vocal posters, if it was your 8th grader getting pulled up would you tell the coach no she's too young?

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154542
03/11/16 07:47 PM
03/11/16 07:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am curious has past history of towns bringing up 7 & 8 graders to Varsity ever won anything?


Yes , all three state championship teams from last year have a history of moving middle school players up to the varsity.


West Islip does not have a history of moving MS players to Varsity. In their history only one girl has been brought up to Varsity as an 8th grader and she turned out to be an All American as a Junior.


So what you are saying is your program has a history of moving a player from middle school to varsity but you do not want that to count. She is a very good player and deserved to be moved up so they did , end of story.


No, I think the poster is saying that 1 girl being pulled up over however many years does not qualify as "having a history" of doing so. She was the exception, and apparently deservedly so.

Absolutely the kid is a stud

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154558
03/12/16 08:27 AM
03/12/16 08:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am curious has past history of towns bringing up 7 & 8 graders to Varsity ever won anything?


Yes , all three state championship teams from last year have a history of moving middle school players up to the varsity.


Good Coaches:

- know how to earn the respect of their players.
- know how to identify talent.
- know how to develop talent.
- know how to utilize talent.
- know how to encourage.
- know how to build confidence.
- know how to lead.
- know how to teach.
- know how to create and maintain team enthusiasm.
- know how to help kids develop character.
- know how to motivate.
- know how to build comradery.
- know how to create a positive environment.
- know how to get the most of of their players.
- know how to build a team.
- know how to do the right thing.
- know how to learn from mistakes.
- know how to make adjustments.
- know how to lose.
- know how to coach.
- know how to win.

A bad coach will not know how to do any of the above.

Poor coaching and leadership are difficult things for athletes to overcome. In most cases it takes a strong leader and a good coach to win a championship even when they have talented athletes.

Success (in HS sports) should not always be measured in wins and losses. A bad coach will create division and destroy the moral of a team. They may win games and maybe even win a championship but they will never be successful.

How is your coach?

You contradict yourself. In your list you say know how to win, then you go on to say a bad coach can't do any of these, then you say at the end of your post that a bad coach may even win a championship. Which is it? Just anither armchair quaterback (armchair coach in this case). I am sure you are an expert. Read some of Coach John Wooden's books then get back to us on how to be a good coach. It's much deeper than that.


No contradiction, was implying: know how to win and lose "gracefully". I was not speaking about "winning a game".

No armchair coaching here, and I was not writing a book. Just a quick 30 second rundown of some of the things a good HS coach knows how to do.

You come off as bitter about something. Or maybe you are a self conscious coach who thinks that I am writing about you. Maybe you are one of the coaches who does not know how to do any of the above.


Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154560
03/12/16 08:49 AM
03/12/16 08:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Northport has had numerous girls pulled up over the years. Fortunato and Gilroy are 2 of many.

Sponsored Links
Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154562
03/12/16 09:19 AM
03/12/16 09:19 AM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 57
M
MKVELE Offline
Back of THE CAGE
MKVELE  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
M

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Northport has had numerous girls pulled up over the years. Fortunato and Gilroy are 2 of many.
It's funny that you bring up Northport, If you look at the list, with all the pull ups that you say they have they are one of the least successful programs on the list

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: MKVELE] #154563
03/12/16 09:31 AM
03/12/16 09:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by MKVELE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Northport has had numerous girls pulled up over the years. Fortunato and Gilroy are 2 of many.
It's funny that you bring up Northport, If you look at the list, with all the pull ups that you say they have they are one of the least successful programs on the list


You really are pathetic , someone lists a few of the most successful programs and that's what you have to say . So you know SWR has many players they have brought up over the years . Not on the list for some reason are 2 of the more successful programs the past few years ESM and Mt. Sinai both of which consistently bring up middle school players .

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154566
03/12/16 09:41 AM
03/12/16 09:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by Anonymous
Northport has had numerous girls pulled up over the years. Fortunato and Gilroy are 2 of many.


The girls lax world is a small one. You end up knowing most all of the top girls in an age group across all LI clubs rather quickly. Of all the girls I know being brought up from 7-8, they are mostly all deserving. There are also some deserving girls who will not be brought up because their districts just don't do that. Every year LI produces a small group of girls who are the household names of NCAA women's lacrosse. Know what most of them have in common? they were also brought up early. Will every girl brought up pan out? NO, Will girls not brought up never become the next Fortunato or Gilroy? NO to that as well. Be happy for the girls and move on, these girls will have a 5-6 year varsity career, if your [lacrosse] bent on hating, you have a long road ahead.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154576
03/12/16 11:00 AM
03/12/16 11:00 AM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 57
M
MKVELE Offline
Back of THE CAGE
MKVELE  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
M

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by MKVELE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Northport has had numerous girls pulled up over the years. Fortunato and Gilroy are 2 of many.
It's funny that you bring up Northport, If you look at the list, with all the pull ups that you say they have they are one of the least successful programs on the list


You really are pathetic , someone lists a few of the most successful programs and that's what you have to say . So you know SWR has many players they have brought up over the years . Not on the list for some reason are 2 of the more successful programs the past few years ESM and Mt. Sinai both of which consistently bring up middle school players .
I also didn't mention CSH, Sayville, Wantaugh or North Shore for the same reason, their history is relatively short at this point but you didn't mention them why, is it because your knowledge of lacrosse stops at 110, I said I wasn't sure about SWR but I'm willing to bet the at the time they had there run the need for M.S. players was much less than it is today. The point of the post is to show how the traditionally strong programs have little need to bring up MS players because the programs are strong from youth through high school. GC, FDale, and 'set rarely, if ever bring up MS players, or even start freshman because they don't have to, and they all had, and still have excellent players that waited there turn and didn't cry about it. As far as Mt. S and ESM go lets see if they can consistently win over a number of years with MS girls being brought up, if they do I will be the first to stand up and say you were right

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: TommyM] #154580
03/12/16 11:24 AM
03/12/16 11:24 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Why are you so [lacrosse] bent on having an 7th or 8 th grader play on varsity? What's the appeal?

Sponsored Links
Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: TommyM] #154584
03/12/16 12:10 PM
03/12/16 12:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Huntington finally got it right this year. Politics from last year seemed to have resonated with the school because they don't seem to be allowing a parent dictated program. Time will tell if they can keep the lunatic fringe parents out of decision making.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: TommyM] #154586
03/12/16 12:32 PM
03/12/16 12:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Huntington finally got it right this year and don't seem to be allowing a parent dictated program.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: MKVELE] #154591
03/12/16 01:35 PM
03/12/16 01:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by MKVELE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by MKVELE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Northport has had numerous girls pulled up over the years. Fortunato and Gilroy are 2 of many.
It's funny that you bring up Northport, If you look at the list, with all the pull ups that you say they have they are one of the least successful programs on the list


You really are pathetic , someone lists a few of the most successful programs and that's what you have to say . So you know SWR has many players they have brought up over the years . Not on the list for some reason are 2 of the more successful programs the past few years ESM and Mt. Sinai both of which consistently bring up middle school players .
I also didn't mention CSH, Sayville, Wantaugh or North Shore for the same reason, their history is relatively short at this point but you didn't mention them why, is it because your knowledge of lacrosse stops at 110, I said I wasn't sure about SWR but I'm willing to bet the at the time they had there run the need for M.S. players was much less than it is today. The point of the post is to show how the traditionally strong programs have little need to bring up MS players because the programs are strong from youth through high school. GC, FDale, and 'set rarely, if ever bring up MS players, or even start freshman because they don't have to, and they all had, and still have excellent players that waited there turn and didn't cry about it. As far as Mt. S and ESM go lets see if they can consistently win over a number of years with MS girls being brought up, if they do I will be the first to stand up and say you were right


ESM decided that starting this year, no more middle school girls will be brought up. They realized the disaster from last year was not worth the trouble.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154595
03/12/16 02:40 PM
03/12/16 02:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am curious has past history of towns bringing up 7 & 8 graders to Varsity ever won anything?


Yes , all three state championship teams from last year have a history of moving middle school players up to the varsity.


Good Coaches:

- know how to earn the respect of their players.
- know how to identify talent.
- know how to develop talent.
- know how to utilize talent.
- know how to encourage.
- know how to build confidence.
- know how to lead.
- know how to teach.
- know how to create and maintain team enthusiasm.
- know how to help kids develop character.
- know how to motivate.
- know how to build comradery.
- know how to create a positive environment.
- know how to get the most of of their players.
- know how to build a team.
- know how to do the right thing.
- know how to learn from mistakes.
- know how to make adjustments.
- know how to lose.
- know how to coach.
- know how to win.

A bad coach will not know how to do any of the above.

Poor coaching and leadership are difficult things for athletes to overcome. In most cases it takes a strong leader and a good coach to win a championship even when they have talented athletes.

Success (in HS sports) should not always be measured in wins and losses. A bad coach will create division and destroy the moral of a team. They may win games and maybe even win a championship but they will never be successful.

How is your coach?

You contradict yourself. In your list you say know how to win, then you go on to say a bad coach can't do any of these, then you say at the end of your post that a bad coach may even win a championship. Which is it? Just anither armchair quaterback (armchair coach in this case). I am sure you are an expert. Read some of Coach John Wooden's books then get back to us on how to be a good coach. It's much deeper than that.


No contradiction, was implying: know how to win and lose "gracefully". I was not speaking about "winning a game".

No armchair coaching here, and I was not writing a book. Just a quick 30 second rundown of some of the things a good HS coach knows how to do.

You come off as bitter about something. Or maybe you are a self conscious coach who thinks that I am writing about you. Maybe you are one of the coaches who does not know how to do any of the above.


None of the above, a coach though. And I laugh at jack offs such as yourself who this they can sum up coaching in a few lines. Like I said go read a Wooden book rather than copy and paste some list.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154597
03/12/16 03:30 PM
03/12/16 03:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



What disaster?? Winning States??

Page 12 of 121 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 120 121



Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1