BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23
Re: Girls 2019-9th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Mass elite?? Obv a parent. Heros and mnd yes. Integrity is also very good. Heros hab yj 8-3 in tourney last year only to end up 9-6. Should be a fun few years now that the girls have lacrosse every day.

What is the estimate of the average age of the MD teams? Bet at least half have birthdays in 2000. They are a year older. If they played true to age, they would not be nearly as "good".

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mass elite?? Obv a parent. Heros and mnd yes. Integrity is also very good. Heros hab yj 8-3 in tourney last year only to end up 9-6. Should be a fun few years now that the girls have lacrosse every day.

What is the estimate of the average age of the MD teams? Bet at least half have birthdays in 2000. They are a year older. If they played true to age, they would not be nearly as "good".

Wrong. That may be the case on the boys side, but for girls it is not. I've been in the game a long time and I do not know even one girl who was "held back".

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wrong. That may be the case on the boys side, but for girls it is not. I've been in the game a long time and I do not know even one girl who was "held back".

Maybe that's wrong in MD, but it goes on in Nassau County? I easily thought of 4 girls - all HS players who were holdbacks with fall birthdays

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have never heard of anyone intentionally holding girls back but I can tell you this is impacting soccer with US soccer moving to calendar year age groups. Will certainly see some changes to many travel clubs and is going to make for an interesting year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The "dark horse" at this age is the "A" team for Integrity.

Ranking according to a top D1 Assistant coach (not a full ranking but during recruiting said these were the top 3 teams they had seen at this age).

M&D
Mass Elite
Heros

I was surprised. My Daughter plays for a different Maryland team and I can understand M&D and Heros. Surprised by Mass Elite. We have never played them but what about YJ?

As a reminder, just when things start to get interesting in travel lacrosse and teams begin to gel and skills really peak... these tournaments turn into all showcase formats, you play 4 games and go home.. equal playing time ( as it should be in a showcase) wins don't matter, top teams in different brackets etc etc.. was a little frustrating because you think your kid is on a really good squad.. but those big time match-up showdowns never materialize..
it's all good in the end when the commitments start to pile up, and you see the kids from rival clubs are applying to the same schools as your daughter and they are more interested in hugs for their friends on the other team after the game then who won

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have never heard of anyone intentionally holding girls back but I can tell you this is impacting soccer with US soccer moving to calendar year age groups. Will certainly see some changes to many travel clubs and is going to make for an interesting year.

Then you probably don't live in a wealthy Nassau County school district.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great post, I agree 100%. Priorities change for the best

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not following you? Please expand on your thought. Are you saying wealthy families are intentionally holding girls back, especially in NC?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not following you? Please expand on your thought. Are you saying wealthy families are intentionally holding girls back, especially in NC?

I don't know if it happens especially in Nassau County, but our school has several girls who are holdbacks. It's rampant with the boys too . Girls are more fall days but boys born in the summer are held back from starting shook based on age guidelines

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't believe you. I'm sure there are a few when they switch from public to private repeat a year. But the real issue is that I believe the girls start school later in MD. Particularly in the private school systems. The MD club teams don't participate in age-based tournaments (see U15 Nationals) because their teams don't qualify. Produce the birth certificates. I will bet that there are a number of girls on M&D 2019s that were born in 2000. To be "on age" and in 2019's you should be born in 2001.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't believe you. I'm sure there are a few when they switch from public to private repeat a year. But the real issue is that I believe the girls start school later in MD. Particularly in the private school systems. The MD club teams don't participate in age-based tournaments (see U15 Nationals) because their teams don't qualify. Produce the birth certificates. I will bet that there are a number of girls on M&D 2019s that were born in 2000. To be "on age" and in 2019's you should be born in 2001.

BTW easy solution. Lets go to age-based divisions, like every other sport. Can anyone tell me a REAL reason that shouldn't be done? The college recruiting thing is ridiculous. EVERY other sport can recruit while playing age-based divisions. The only reason I can come up with is that rich people (a lot in lax) want to be able to buy an advantage for their kid. Anyone have a better reason??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Believe it. I said, I do not know of any girls who have been "held back". Is it possible that a few have, sure but I've never heard of any. As far as starting later here in MD, if it's true then that's not the fault of the girl. As far as Public vs Private, I cannot answer that. My daughter is a current senior at a public school. She has a friend that is the "star" at McDonogh and that girl was not held back. As far as "producing birth certificates"...that's ridiculous. I think even if a girl is "on age" in your opinion, it would depend on when in the calendar year she was born, wouldn't it?

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Believe it. I said, I do not know of any girls who have been "held back". Is it possible that a few have, sure but I've never heard of any. As far as starting later here in MD, if it's true then that's not the fault of the girl. As far as Public vs Private, I cannot answer that. My daughter is a current senior at a public school. She has a friend that is the "star" at McDonogh and that girl was not held back. As far as "producing birth certificates"...that's ridiculous. I think even if a girl is "on age" in your opinion, it would depend on when in the calendar year she was born, wouldn't it?

In soccer, birth certificates are presented to the coach or club director (I forget which) and player cards are assigned and shown to the ref at every game. No card, no play. Soccer plays by birth year, not school year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

In soccer, birth certificates are presented to the coach or club director (I forget which) and player cards are assigned and shown to the ref at every game. No card, no play. Soccer plays by birth year, not school year.

This is the first year of birth year for soccer and the mandate goes into effect in August/16

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BTW easy solution. Lets go to age-based divisions, like every other sport. Can anyone tell me a REAL reason that shouldn't be done? The college recruiting thing is ridiculous. EVERY other sport can recruit while playing age-based divisions. The only reason I can come up with is that rich people (a lot in lax) want to be able to buy an advantage for their kid. Anyone have a better reason??

Rich people buying an advantage by holding kids back? I got news for you, the rich people are more focused on the right education their kids get and can afford college. Trust me, they are not doing it for the slim chance of some academic aide.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rich people buying an advantage by holding kids back? I got news for you, the rich people are more focused on the right education their kids get and can afford college. Trust me, they are not doing it for the slim chance of some academic aide.

Meant athletic aide

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares how old your opponent is ? once you get to High school you play against girls of all ages for the rest of your playing career. If it's a tournament championship you seek, go buy your kid a trophy and stop complaining

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

This is the first year of birth year for soccer and the mandate goes into effect in August/16

Well, my kids started playing before the new millennium and birth year was how it was done then, so I'm not sure what has changed or what your saying. Or did they change the cut-off date? Is that what you're saying? It used to be August 1.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares how old your opponent is ? once you get to High school you play against girls of all ages for the rest of your playing career. If it's a tournament championship you seek, go buy your kid a trophy and stop complaining

Um because people get on here and pound their chests about how good such and such team is etc. And if you've got a group of 15 year olds playing a group of 14 year olds, one would hope they would be "better". As a separate issue, as early recruiting has gotten younger and younger, it is starting to bleed into the growth years for these girls. Being a year older in 8th and 9th grade makes a huge difference physically. Not so much later on. These Maryland teams don't pass the eye test on that. They are definitely older. As far the rich people, they don't do it for athletic money, they do it to get their kid into a better school through athletics. Sure beats having to get 1600s and 4.0 in all AP classes right?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, my kids started playing before the new millennium and birth year was how it was done then, so I'm not sure what has changed or what your saying. Or did they change the cut-off date? Is that what you're saying? It used to be August 1.

From US Soccer;

As previously announced in September 2015, US Club Soccer will be implementing the U.S. Soccer Federation’s birth-year registration mandates on Aug. 1, 2016.

This means that all youth competitions beginning Aug. 1, 2016 will be based on age group cut-offs of January 1 for each age group. Due to additional interpretative changes by U.S. Soccer since this announcement in how competition age groups are labeled, US Club Soccer and other sanctioning bodies are now clarifying the age group structures for the 2016-2017 season.

Beginning Aug. 1, 2016, all youth soccer sanctioning organizations will form competitions based on birth-year age groups.
Beginning Aug. 1, 2016, US Club Soccer will be using the following birth-year “labels” for competition, based upon the season in which competition ends. For example:
Players born from January 1, 1998 – December 31, 1998 will be labeled as Under-19s.
Players born from January 1, 1999 – December 31, 1999 will be labeled as Under-18s.
Players born from January 1, 2000 – December 31, 2000 will be labeled as Under-17s.
For any birth year, the age group “label” will be determined by subtracting the year in which the players participating in the competition were born from the year in which competition ends.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can lax please follow? Anyone want to argue against? Hockey does same thing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From a recruiters point of view it would be more interesting to see them play in proper age group. Then the extra year is an added bonus, not the reason they r playing better than the competition.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Um because people get on here and pound their chests about how good such and such team is etc. And if you've got a group of 15 year olds playing a group of 14 year olds, one would hope they would be "better". As a separate issue, as early recruiting has gotten younger and younger, it is starting to bleed into the growth years for these girls. Being a year older in 8th and 9th grade makes a huge difference physically. Not so much later on. These Maryland teams don't pass the eye test on that. They are definitely older. As far the rich people, they don't do it for athletic money, they do it to get their kid into a better school through athletics. Sure beats having to get 1600s and 4.0 in all AP classes right?

This is too funny - my daughter plays on one of those top two Maryland teams and the parents on that team pretty well feel the same way. That there is no need to beat our chests when others talk about us enough. Regarding the ages of the girls whether held back or not - that advantage seems to wane after 8th grade. Besides - when a 9th grader is on the varsity squad - I don't think she is concerned about how old that 12th grader is coming up on her 6.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is too funny - my daughter plays on one of those top two Maryland teams and the parents on that team pretty well feel the same way. That there is no need to beat our chests when others talk about us enough. Regarding the ages of the girls whether held back or not - that advantage seems to wane after 8th grade. Besides - when a 9th grader is on the varsity squad - I don't think she is concerned about how old that 12th grader is coming up on her 6.

I would definitely agree. You see the biggest physical change from 7 to 8th . By 8/9 most girls have peaked and any advantage is a mute point. When the girls were 4,5 and 6 the advantage was clear and we saw it in both soccer, town and club lax. By 7th grade they were no longer the tallest, fastest and biggest and all of a sudden they just blended in. By 8th grade many of the older kids just got flat out passed by. Its much easier to be a stud in grade school when you have 25lbs and 6-10 inches of height. Those kids were just more aggressive, physical and weren't intimated. It's almost comical now because they still think they can run through 3 girls and go to go and now 9 times out of 10 lose the ball. With all that said, I don't believe any of them were intentionally held back for the athletic advantage.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I doesn't really matter whether the kid was held back intentionally for sports, or for some other reason. who cares. the best way to compare two things(obviously these are young people don't get the wrong idea) is on an apples to apples basis. soccer and hockey are spot on and lacrosse should get with the program.

an added benefit is it will be safer to play against girls closer in age than not..

I would definitely agree. You see the biggest physical change from 7 to 8th . By 8/9 most girls have peaked and any advantage is a mute point. When the girls were 4,5 and 6 the advantage was clear and we saw it in both soccer, town and club lax. By 7th grade they were no longer the tallest, fastest and biggest and all of a sudden they just blended in. By 8th grade many of the older kids just got flat out passed by. Its much easier to be a stud in grade school when you have 25lbs and 6-10 inches of height. Those kids were just more aggressive, physical and weren't intimated. It's almost comical now because they still think they can run through 3 girls and go to go and now 9 times out of 10 lose the ball. With all that said, I don't believe any of them were intentionally held back for the athletic advantage.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok so it sounds like you are admitting that the girls are older. Thank You. We are not talking about high school lax, we are talking about single year, club lax. But while we are on the subject of high school lax, if McDonogh's players are 15-19 and are playing 14-18 year olds, hmmm, that might explain some things out of region ... in region maybe many schools have the same age drift.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please ... the advantage doesn't wane in 8th grade. By that logic, since all age advantage goes away in 9th grade, a high school team should beat a college team, a typical freshman in high school will have no physical disadvantage to a senior etc. Stop trying to justify it. Lets go to age-based divisions in club lax, just like other sports have done. Thank you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please ... the advantage doesn't wane in 8th grade. By that logic, since all age advantage goes away in 9th grade, a high school team should beat a college team, a typical freshman in high school will have no physical disadvantage to a senior etc. Stop trying to justify it. Lets go to age-based divisions in club lax, just like other sports have done. Thank you.

I think you are missing their point and forgetting about the extra four years of experience and skills development that a college player has over a high school player. And since you did bring it up - I think that McDonogh can probably beat quite a few of the college teams out there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you are missing their point and forgetting about the extra four years of experience and skills development that a college player has over a high school player. And since you did bring it up - I think that McDonogh can probably beat quite a few of the college teams out there.

I think you are making my point. Each year of physical and skill development does matter. Therefore the extra year keeps being an advantage and does not end in 8th grade as posited above. There is no sensible reason not to go to age-based divisions for club lacrosse. And there are many reasons to do it. The only people who argue against it are the ones whose kids are older and gain an undeserved advantage.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A lot of 2019 recent commits to top ten schools for such a horrible team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How's all the recruiting going for the 19s? Lot of talent in this age group. Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A lot of 2019 recent commits to top ten schools for such a horrible team?

Which team are u talking about?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How's all the recruiting going for the 19s? Lot of talent in this age group. Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Yes on the talent. College coaches have said the 19's are extremely deep relative to a "normal" year and definitely relative to 18's. Many more commits at this time than at same time last year in 18's. Partly it's the talent and partly it's that the competition for players continues to push younger. Still the big wave of numbers will likely be over the summer into the fall.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes on the talent. College coaches have said the 19's are extremely deep relative to a "normal" year and definitely relative to 18's. Many more commits at this time than at same time last year in 18's. Partly it's the talent and partly it's that the competition for players continues to push younger. Still the big wave of numbers will likely be over the summer into the fall.

'20s much, much deeper group than 19's by far

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure about 2019 as a whole across the nation, but certainly the LI clubs top teams are off at this age group.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yellow Jackets

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh yeah- you would know- guess you got out your slide rule and did a scientific regression analysis of 19s vs 20s - nice work!- as if there were a statistically significant variance between these two very large groups of players? Keep sippin

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

not according to D1 coaches. Not sure why u would think that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe on LI, but not nationally.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The '20s are a much bigger group - numbers wise. But, it's watered down talent. I'm seeing whole 2019 teams being recruited by D1 programs - I don't see many 2020 teams where from #1 all the way to #24 on the depth chart are D1 players. If you look at the top 5 2019 club teams - that's the case. Besides - this is the 2019 forum - you can discuss how deep 2020 is on that forum.

Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard