BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 75 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 74 75
Re: 2016 Women's College Lacrosse Season
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is going on at Hofstra hearing rumblings

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One of SBU's starting midfielders sprained her ankle on Saturday, the day before the game. She quarterbacks their offense which left them in a bad spot with no real time to fix it. On a 1 goal game switching who you run your plays through makes a huge difference. Also, SBUs freshman goalie came up with some big saves but made a rookie mistake on a clear leading to a quick goal for Florida. Can't make mistakes like that against a #2 ranked team. But that one goal she caused could have changed the game. Bet the poor kid won't do that again.

Overall it was a fantastic game to watch and I'm glad we went. I was a little disappointed with Floridas repeated fouls. It really slowed down the game and seemed a bit over the top.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Read back a few pages. SS father bad mouthed a big donor to parents at TG, got back to donor. Throw in losing most of your games and the girls don't want to tolerate SS tantrums during practice any longer, notice that they are getting worse. The first few games they played well, but as disord goes on the team has played worse. Girls want to walk away. There is more than just grumblings, the previous AD could care less about Wins/losses, he just cared about budget and keeping costs down (why she was hired in the first place). When SS was interviewed originally at Hofstra she was interviewing for a Grad Asst. position. This was during a time of downsizing (shortly after cutting football) and the admin at the time didn't care about most team's success just keeping costs down.
Fast forward, new AD is coming in, and he doesn't like SS. He was associate AD who had to deal with the donor fallout and other nonsense of SS. Not sure if she is done, but it will become very uncomfortable for her.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Sounds like SB fans have a lot of excuses. You say you lose a single player to injury, thats fine but if you want to be considered top 10 one player should not make a difference. SB has played only 1 game opposed to FLA 6 (at game time) and 2 within the week one in FLA and one in 'cuse. That would have made 3 games in 7 days against a fresh team.

You can't ever blame a goalie for a loss with 11 woman to go through before her. She made plenty of saves to win that game, one mistake by her was not the reason for the loss.

Please remember this is just my opinion
To say SB is better coached because Halfpenny stands there with a clipboard while Spallina runs up and down the sidelines screaming is laughable, just 2 different coaching styles, remember FLA won. Like I stated last night JS chose to run off no less than 6 of the last 10 min. while down a goal, to me thats playing for a tie and not a win,thats playing scared and that, IMHO, makes it a coaches loss. with 10:00 left you could put in a goal instead of throwing it around the 12m. 5 times, go to draw, and believe in your "D" to stop them if you lose it.

SB played a much cleaner game than they did last year but lets not get crazy with the FLA fouls SB were like the Mohawks last year the way they swung the sticks, glad to see they cleaned it up they don't need to do that cheap crap, there better than that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by MKVELE
Sounds like SB fans have a lot of excuses. You say you lose a single player to injury, thats fine but if you want to be considered top 10 one player should not make a difference. SB has played only 1 game opposed to FLA 6 (at game time) and 2 within the week one in FLA and one in 'cuse. That would have made 3 games in 7 days against a fresh team.

You can't ever blame a goalie for a loss with 11 woman to go through before her. She made plenty of saves to win that game, one mistake by her was not the reason for the loss.

To say SB is better coached because Halfpenny stands there with a clipboard while Spallina runs up and down the sidelines screaming is laughable, just 2 different coaching styles, remember FLA won. Like I stated last night JS chose to run off no less than 6 of the last 10 min. while down a goal, to me thats playing for a tie and not a win,thats playing scared and that, IMHO, makes it a coaches loss. with 10:00 left you could put in a goal instead of throwing it around the 12m. 5 times, go to draw, and believe in your "D" to stop them if you lose it.

SB played a much cleaner game than they did last year but lets not get crazy with the FLA fouls SB were like the Mohawks last year the way they swung the sticks, glad to see they cleaned it up they don't need to do that cheap crap, there better than that.

Good post. SB is no Florida. You gave an accurate account. Hate when people start blaming the loss on this or that. Maybe the other team was just better?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree you can't have excuses, i will preface this as a "Florida supporter" and speaking w some "SB supporters" they did not make excuses were very complimentary as two top 10 teams had a heavy weight battle I understand the SB mindset at the end, Florida was winning EVERY draw, so yes with three minutes left your on your last possession in all likelihood. So looking to tie the game YES that's the mindset and I can tell you this SB made adjustments at half outscored our women and played smart clean lacrosse. Shortening the game to me was the on,y way when draw play is so lopsided. Great crowd and Us Local Florida parents love the quick commute. Kudos to both teams What a game!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No but at half down 5-2 one team made adjustments at half and almost pulled it out while the other team did not. That's coaching and FYI I was wearing orange and blue yesterday

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your opinion is just wrong IMHO. You have a team that is being killed at the draw yet you want to push the action? You have a team that is missing several key players but has managed to keep the game within reach of course they want to shorten the game. Play for the tie and take your chances in sudden death sounds like the smart move. Push the pace and try to outscore a team that won 90 percent of the draws in a run and gun makes no sense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I watched the game on television yesterday with my HS daughter. It was a lot of fun to watch. It didn't matter to either of us who won - she knows girls on both teams. But, you have to be honest - SB was down 2 starting middies both last minute illness and injury. There aren't a lot of teams around who can play at the same level missing two important starters. There's no way to know if the outcome would've been different if SB was at full strength, but it's only fair to present all the facts.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Agree you can't have excuses, i will preface this as a "Florida supporter" and speaking w some "SB supporters" they did not make excuses were very complimentary as two top 10 teams had a heavy weight battle I understand the SB mindset at the end, Florida was winning EVERY draw, so yes with three minutes left your on your last possession in all likelihood. So looking to tie the game YES that's the mindset and I can tell you this SB made adjustments at half outscored our women and played smart clean lacrosse. Shortening the game to me was the on,y way when draw play is so lopsided. Great crowd and Us Local Florida parents love the quick commute. Kudos to both teams What a game!

I did not speak to any supporters on either side I sat alone, and FYI I wore gray yesterday. Two very good teams but..... killing clock on your own team to play for o.t because you can't win a draw makes even less sense. With the new golden goal format, if you take the last shot and go to O.T. and lose the draw 80% of the time you have lost. Shoot with 10 min. left, and then 4 min left, and lose the draw you still have time to make a stand at least twice, I just don't get the logic. To me it's a bad coaching error that coast the game. As far as adjustments go holding the ball for 6 of the last 9 minuets of the game and taking only one shot in the last minuet is not and adjustment it's a mistake. Granted SB scored 4 goals to Fla 2 in the second half...... they needed 5 why stop shooting

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stony Brook lost because the didn't play as well as Florida. If I hear one more excuse I'll have to get my violin out!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Read back a few pages. SS father bad mouthed a big donor to parents at TG, got back to donor. Throw in losing most of your games and the girls don't want to tolerate SS tantrums during practice any longer, notice that they are getting worse. The first few games they played well, but as disord goes on the team has played worse. Girls want to walk away. There is more than just grumblings, the previous AD could care less about Wins/losses, he just cared about budget and keeping costs down (why she was hired in the first place). When SS was interviewed originally at Hofstra she was interviewing for a Grad Asst. position. This was during a time of downsizing (shortly after cutting football) and the admin at the time didn't care about most team's success just keeping costs down.
Fast forward, new AD is coming in, and he doesn't like SS. He was associate AD who had to deal with the donor fallout and other nonsense of SS. Not sure if she is done, but it will become very uncomfortable for her.

There's always "rumblings" about a head coach when a team is not doing well. As far as tantrums go, all coaches throw tantrums. I'm sure she threw tantrums last year but since they won the CAA regular season championship there wasn't much concern about it. They lose key seniors and have to reload and now when she throws tantrums it's a big deal and "girls want to walk". If the team is not playing well, maybe she has a reason to throw a tantrum at practice. I'll never understand why girls teams and guys teams are treated differently when it comes to coaches personalities. Give SS time. She's young, relatively new to coaching and needs time. She signed a contract extension last year. Patience.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your opinion is just wrong IMHO. You have a team that is being killed at the draw yet you want to push the action? You have a team that is missing several key players but has managed to keep the game within reach of course they want to shorten the game. Play for the tie and take your chances in sudden death sounds like the smart move. Push the pace and try to outscore a team that won 90 percent of the draws in a run and gun makes no sense.

agree 100%

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There's always "rumblings" about a head coach when a team is not doing well. As far as tantrums go, all coaches throw tantrums. I'm sure she threw tantrums last year but since they won the CAA regular season championship there wasn't much concern about it. They lose key seniors and have to reload and now when she throws tantrums it's a big deal and "girls want to walk". If the team is not playing well, maybe she has a reason to throw a tantrum at practice. I'll never understand why girls teams and guys teams are treated differently when it comes to coaches personalities. Give SS time. She's young, relatively new to coaching and needs time. She signed a contract extension last year. Patience.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

agree 100%
I'm sorry but you want it both ways but can't
. First it was missing one player with a sprained ankle, then another with a sickness, now several. From what I can tell SB was missing Yavoli, and it hurts, but with Ohlmiller, Murphy, Van Dyke, and Guido still in the game it sounds like an excuse. I know everyone thinks I'm stupid, and you're probably right, but you guys admit you lost 90% of the draws, I don't understand why any good coach would wait to take the last shot to tie a game, and then have to rely on winning the draw to win it in sudden death when you haven't won one all game. Yes I would have pushed the issue with 10 minutes left, scored a goal to tie and went to the draw. Even if you lose the draw again and your D doesn't hold you still have a chance if they score. In OT if your team doesn't hold you lose period. What did JS think was going to happen to start OT, Florida to hand them the ball and say ok your turn, hope for a violation. The chances of any team not scoring in the first possession of OT in very small

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are the Big matchups this week?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MKVELE you need a hobby you post then answer yourself praise then critisize. Seems you may be bored! Tell me more about what is happening at Hofstra. New polls are out today interesting

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
MKVELE you need a hobby you post then answer yourself praise then critisize. Seems you may be bored! Tell me more about what is happening at Hofstra. New polls are out today interesting
I post then answer myself.... when have I done that, get a hobby..... ok I chose lacrosse specifically, woman lacrosse. Is it any worse than spending endless hours coming up with fantasy football or baseball teams, or following the Nets, Rangers, Islanders, or Knicks. SB played better than I expected, but the fans seem to come up with excuses as to why they lost when the answer seems simple. Your team played well, maybe one day you'll beat them, but not yet. I look forward to seeing them beat Hofstra.... and are I say NU. Your girls played very well, did everything the coach told them to, It was he who let them down.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Oh and if you want my thoughts on Hofstra...... Shannon seems hard to play for. My daughter has friends on that squad and from what I understand they are generally unhappy with the way Shannon treats them. Lost a bunch to graduation not the best at recruiting, runs her college team like her club, and he father seems to be an issue

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If a certain LI SUNY coach has doubled their pay to $160k and another SUNY coach in the capital region is at $90k then one would think a private school in Hempstead is paying pretty good and better stay very close to the top 20 or there might be changes coming.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh and if you want my thoughts on Hofstra...... Shannon seems hard to play for. My daughter has friends on that squad and from what I understand they are generally unhappy with the way Shannon treats them. Lost a bunch to graduation not the best at recruiting, runs her college team like her club, and he father seems to be an issue

I also have a friends daughter on the HU team, and her perspective is a little different. In the fall she said it was a hard adjustment...workouts, school, coaches, etc. But as her spring semester and regular season rolled around she has changed her view. She says they expected a rough first part to the season with all of the youth. And as the season has begun they recognize what they're up against but their spirit is still positive and she still likes SS. Remember, not every player will like their coach every day and they will not hate her every day. I think in this day and time, there is too much short-sightedness and not enough long term views.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LOTS of coaches are hard to play for. Dig into the reputation of the coach at U of Michigan, Winthrop, Louisville, etc. Lots and lots of use of the word "crazy" thrown about when describing them and others.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MKVELE wasnt talking about SB seems you like a good argument and are involved in every discussion and are VERRRRY defensive Sure your daughters proud

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

IWLCA Poll for Division I, March 7
Rank Team Record Points First Previous
1 Maryland 4-0 400 20 1
2 Florida 7-0 378 3
3 Syracuse 6-1 355 2
4 North Carolina 4-2 343 4
5 Louisville 7-0 305 12
6 Notre Dame 5-1 265 5
7 Princeton 4-0 256 9
8 Virginia 4-2 255 7
9 Penn State 4-1 241 8
10 Stony Brook 1-1 231 10
11 Northwestern 1-3 221 6
12 Southern California 4-0 207 11
13 Stanford 4-1 159 13
14 Boston College 4-2 121 14
15 Duke 4-3 114 15
16 Penn 3-1 103 16
17 Ohio State 4-1 75 17
18 Towson 5-0 59 20
19 Johns Hopkins 3-3 44 18
20 Connecticut 4-0 38 19

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
IWLCA Poll for Division II, March 7
1 Adelphi 2-0 400 20 1
2 Le Moyne 2-0 377 2
3 Lindenwood 4-0 358 3
4 New Haven 1-0 325 4
5 LIU Post 1-1 318 5
6 Rollins 4-0 315 6
7 Limestone 4-0 256 8
8 Lock Haven 1-0 250 7
9 West Chester 2-0 219 10
10 Mercyhurst 2-1 218 12
11 Grand Valley State 1-2 215 11
12 Florida Southern 2-2 186 13
13 Stonehill 0-1 173 9
14 Queens 4-0 135 15
15 Seton Hill 1-2 118 16
16 Dowling 2-0 101 17
17 Mount Olive 6-1 85 14
18 Regis (CO) 4-0 59 19
19 Bentley 0-1 54 18
20 Saint Anselm 0-0 18 20

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
IWLCA Poll for Division III, March 7
1 Cortland 1-0 400 20 1
2 Trinity (CT) 2-0 377 2
3 Franklin & Marshall 3-0 362 3
4 Middlebury 1-0 338 4
5 College of NJ 2-0 310 5
6 Gettysburg 3-0 298 6
7 Salisbury 4-0 289 7
8 [lacrosse] 3-1 257 8
9 Amherst 1-0 234 12
10 Tufts 0-0 211 11
11 Colby 1-0 194 15
12 Bowdoin 0-1 170 9
13 Hamilton 0-1 141 13
14 Messiah 1-2 136 14
15 St. John Fisher 2-0 114 17
16 Mary Washington 6-0 94 18
17 Catholic (DC) 0-2 80 10
18 Union 1-0 41 19
19 Washington College 2-0 27 NR
19 Brockport 3-0 27 NR

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
IWLCA Poll for Division III, March 7
1 Cortland 1-0 400 20 1
2 Trinity (CT) 2-0 377 2
3 Franklin & Marshall 3-0 362 3
4 Middlebury 1-0 338 4
5 College of NJ 2-0 310 5
6 Gettysburg 3-0 298 6
7 Salisbury 4-0 289 7
8 [lacrosse] 3-1 257 8
9 Amherst 1-0 234 12
10 Tufts 0-0 211 11
11 Colby 1-0 194 15
12 Bowdoin 0-1 170 9
13 Hamilton 0-1 141 13
14 Messiah 1-2 136 14
15 St. John Fisher 2-0 114 17
16 Mary Washington 6-0 94 18
17 Catholic (DC) 0-2 80 10
18 Union 1-0 41 19
19 Washington College 2-0 27 NR
19 Brockport 3-0 27 NR

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
MKVELE wasnt talking about SB seems you like a good argument and are involved in every discussion and are VERRRRY defensive Sure your daughters proud
I don't know what you're talking about, what are you talking about then

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I also have a friends daughter on the HU team, and her perspective is a little different. In the fall she said it was a hard adjustment...workouts, school, coaches, etc. But as her spring semester and regular season rolled around she has changed her view. She says they expected a rough first part to the season with all of the youth. And as the season has begun they recognize what they're up against but their spirit is still positive and she still likes SS. Remember, not every player will like their coach every day and they will not hate her every day. I think in this day and time, there is too much short-sightedness and not enough long term views.
I really have not had any interaction with her, My daughter played for a different club, she never wanted to go to Hofstra. You know how lacrosse is, all the girls have only 7 degrees of separation or less. some likelier some don't . I wish her no ill will, Hofstra was never one of my favorite schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No harm taken...no worries. My skin is thick. Every player at every school will have a different experience. Same with lacrosse teams. Some players don't mind a tough coach, some players wilt when a coach yells at them. Just because a coach is considered hard to play for doesn't mean the same thing to all players. I've seen many coaches do a lot of yelling at practice but be very calm during games, and I've seen the opposite. My take is this...Give SS and Hofstra some time. This is only her 4th season, a relative newby by most accounts. I never bash a player for her choice of colleges. It's her experience, not mine. And, I will never bow to the peer pressure that is attempted by the YJ/CR/SB bunch.

I really have not had any interaction with her, My daughter played for a different club, she never wanted to go to Hofstra. You know how lacrosse is, all the girls have only 7 degrees of separation or less. some likelier some don't . I wish her no ill will, Hofstra was never one of my favorite schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No harm taken...no worries. My skin is thick. Every player at every school will have a different experience. Same with lacrosse teams. Some players don't mind a tough coach, some players wilt when a coach yells at them. Just because a coach is considered hard to play for doesn't mean the same thing to all players. I've seen many coaches do a lot of yelling at practice but be very calm during games, and I've seen the opposite. My take is this...Give SS and Hofstra some time. This is only her 4th season, a relative newby by most accounts. I never bash a player for her choice of colleges. It's her experience, not mine. And, I will never bow to the peer pressure that is attempted by the YJ/CR/SB bunch.

By the way...I don't live in NY or NJ and my daughter DOES NOT play for TG.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SS good coach, Hofstra no talent

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with the first statement and slightly disagree with the second. No talent is a pretty strong statement, given that the vast majority of the roster is sophomores and freshmen. They have talent, but D1 lacrosse is a big jump from high school. The school is good and the coaches are good, and to the contrary of some on here, they are good recruiters. It appears they are reaching further than NY and MD for talent, which is a good thing. In MD and NY there are only so many future "superstar" players to go around. The next few years rosters are more diversified.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just watched SB v Fla Stony brook looked very good

Was there too, rooting for SB. Scary part is Florida played the sloppiest game ever and still won. If they played a clean game, would have been a blowout. SB needs to start recruiting draw specialists, got killed on the draw today. Sick behind the back shot!

SB was outcoached, but nice effort !

No skin in this argument, but Fla coach is far from a top coach, she has the horses and SB wasn't quit able to match up

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good post. SB is no Florida. You gave an accurate account. Hate when people start blaming the loss on this or that. Maybe the other team was just better?

If fla and ND had coaches that new what they were doing they both would have been final four teams the past couple of seasons and should certainly be there this year

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exactly! Those are all her players, either can't recruit or identify talent...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If fla and ND had coaches that new what they were doing they both would have been final four teams the past couple of seasons and should certainly be there this year

If the "great" SB coach new what he was doing he would of found a way to beat a sloppy Florida team!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If the "great" SB coach new what he was doing he would of found a way to beat a sloppy Florida team!

If he was coaching FLA they would have won by double digits, for that matter if I were coaching FLA they would have won by double digits - you cant honestly compare the two rosters and say its a pick'em game

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Was there too, rooting for SB. Scary part is Florida played the sloppiest game ever and still won. If they played a clean game, would have been a blowout. SB needs to start recruiting draw specialists, got killed on the draw today. Sick behind the back shot!

No skin in this argument, but Fla coach is far from a top coach, she has the horses and SB wasn't quit able to match up

How many people were at LaValle stadium several years ago to witness Cuse come back to beat Gators in the Semi finals? That game was in the books and any coach could have preserved the win. She blew it. SBrook coach is doing far more with much less talent. Impressed with his ability to coach, just not a fan of the screaming. I was in the upper deck and heard him screaming at a girl who didn't have a shot backed up, this possession is on you, if they score its on you, screaming during live play. Wasn't sure if he was screaming at a girl who was supposed to be behind the cage for shot or the girl who rushed the shot before someone could back it up? Either way, wasn't a pretty sight.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many people were at LaValle stadium several years ago to witness Cuse come back to beat Gators in the Semi finals? That game was in the books and any coach could have preserved the win. She blew it. SBrook coach is doing far more with much less talent. Impressed with his ability to coach, just not a fan of the screaming. I was in the upper deck and heard him screaming at a girl who didn't have a shot backed up, this possession is on you, if they score its on you, screaming during live play. Wasn't sure if he was screaming at a girl who was supposed to be behind the cage for shot or the girl who rushed the shot before someone could back it up? Either way, wasn't a pretty sight.

They still lost! The better coach pulled their team through! Fact! Stats don't lie

Page 8 of 75 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 74 75

Link Copied to Clipboard