Anonymous #151740 02/22/16 10:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do any of you people who continue to bash one collegiate program or another understand how difficult it is play a sport at any level in college ? I highly doubt it. In fact I would bet that none of you are parents of student athletes. If you are I would urge you to pick up the phone call your daughter and ask. listen to your athlete carefully and then decide if you still feel compelled to bash other young women like your daughter whom are very passionate about something they love. Whether at D1,2 or 3, Jr college or club these young women should be youlebrated and congratulated.

Most of you do not have any idea how difficult it is in this environment to be a NCAA Athlete on any level. D-1 and D-2 programs will own your daughter once she steps on campus. The recruiting process they will tell you we only practice a couple of hours a couple of days a week in the Fall and ramp it up once they come back to school after Xmas break. Here is the reality......Your daughter will start her days Monday- Saturday at 5:30 am for alternating workouts / training for 2 hours then she will have 20 min to run to class. Go straight from two classes to a 1.5 hour team practice. then run to her dorm to shower , grab a bite to eat then off to a 2 hour study hall or team meeting. Now that goes on for the entire Fall semester. So six days a week with every day going something like this.... Wake up, train, class, class, eat, practice, shower, eat , study hall, homework, sleep. Make sure your daughter can handle that schedule before you push her into something many of you could not handle.

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: 2016 Women's College Lacrosse Season
Anonymous #151755 02/23/16 12:09 AM
T
User
User
T
Do any of you people who continue to bash one collegiate program or another understand how difficult it is play a sport at any level in college ? I highly doubt it. In fact I would bet that none of you are parents of student athletes. If you are I would urge you to pick up the phone call your daughter and ask. listen to your athlete carefully and then decide if you still feel compelled to bash other young women like your daughter whom are very passionate about something they love. Whether at D1,2 or 3, Jr college or club these young women should be youlebrated and congratulated.

Most of you do not have any idea how difficult it is in this environment to be a NCAA Athlete on any level. D-1 and D-2 programs will own your daughter once she steps on campus. The recruiting process they will tell you we only practice a couple of hours a couple of days a week in the Fall and ramp it up once they come back to school after Xmas break. Here is the reality......Your daughter will start her days Monday- Saturday at 5:30 am for alternating workouts / training for 2 hours then she will have 20 min to run to class. Go straight from two classes to a 1.5 hour team practice. then run to her dorm to shower , grab a bite to eat then off to a 2 hour study hall or team meeting. Now that goes on for the entire Fall semester. So six days a week with every day going something like this.... Wake up, train, class, class, eat, practice, shower, eat , study hall, homework, sleep. Make sure your daughter can handle that schedule before you push her into something many of you could not handle.

Accurate and very true.

The Hop #151769 02/23/16 08:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Big programs have their girls for 5-6 hours per day 6 days a week and then they have to still stay eligible academically. Even though only a handful of teams have a chance at the national championship all the programs train like they do so just because you are going to a mid ranked team, don't think the commitment falls off

The Hop #151796 02/23/16 11:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds brutal, don't know how 3000+ girls do it in D1 alone

America's Game #151809 02/23/16 11:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, will leave no time for lying around dorm room getting high and drinking beer....too bad.

Sponsored Links
Anonymous #151811 02/23/16 11:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds brutal, don't know how 3000+ girls do it in D1 alone

Women probably handle it better than the boys...certainly more mature at this age.

America's Game #151814 02/23/16 11:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry but you cant have it both ways when SS took over Hofstra the TG faithful were saying she would have them competing for a national title in 4-5 years, TG would be the top program on LI etc.. Seems like its going the opposite way. Difficult for her to attract the top talent from out of state and say what you want but YJ players just do not want to go there, she has an impossible road ahead.With the depleted talent pool of TG exactly where is she going to get her players from. I think SS could be an excellent coach but if you want to be a successful LI D1 program doing it without YJ is not easy. Remember the days when people were comparing Stony Brook with Hofstra.

Anonymous #151815 02/23/16 11:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree 100%

Anonymous #151821 02/23/16 12:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Women probably handle it better than the boys...certainly more mature at this age.

You never hear the equivalent of "lax bro" for girls, do you?!

The Hop #151863 02/23/16 02:22 PM
B
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
B
Originally Posted by The Hop

Accurate and very true.

I'll add my two cents. D1/2 also leaves no time for other activities that the student may want to get involved in. This includes studying abroad. It is a huge commitment. Just over 50% of D1/2 students play four years of lacrosse. I'm following a 2013 club class and each year there are less students playing. Forget about students who are trying for difficult degrees.

Sponsored Links
baldbear #151869 02/23/16 02:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by baldbear
Originally Posted by The Hop

Accurate and very true.

I'll add my two cents. D1/2 also leaves no time for other activities that the student may want to get involved in. This includes studying abroad. It is a huge commitment. Just over 50% of D1/2 students play four years of lacrosse. I'm following a 2013 club class and each year there are less students playing. Forget about students who are trying for difficult degrees.

In my kids school she was told what she could major in

America's Game #151908 02/23/16 05:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So are you all saying these coaches blatantly lie. My kid is going thru the recruiting process now and every coach has said they can do a study abroad program (may have to be over the summer). They also say that they can major in anything they want pointing out kids who are premed, engineering etc on their teams.

Anonymous #151918 02/23/16 06:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So are you all saying these coaches blatantly lie. My kid is going thru the recruiting process now and every coach has said they can do a study abroad program (may have to be over the summer). They also say that they can major in anything they want pointing out kids who are premed, engineering etc on their teams.

Summer abroad is possible and done. Tough majors are possible, despite what all these naysayers say. It is very difficult tho. So very few can handle it. PreMed typically has to take summer classes to get labs done. But on the strong lax programs w strong academics (NU, ND, STAN etc) there are current examples you can look to to say it can be done. At both NU and ND there are top starters that are premed and engineering. Stanford has a few but none are important players on the team currently. I'm sure as you comb through other rosters you will find a few. It is certainly the minority, but if your daughter is disciplined and academically gifted, it is possible and would be a great accomplishment.

Anonymous #151943 02/23/16 08:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Summer abroad is possible and done. Tough majors are possible, despite what all these naysayers say. It is very difficult tho. So very few can handle it. PreMed typically has to take summer classes to get labs done. But on the strong lax programs w strong academics (NU, ND, STAN etc) there are current examples you can look to to say it can be done. At both NU and ND there are top starters that are premed and engineering. Stanford has a few but none are important players on the team currently. I'm sure as you comb through other rosters you will find a few. It is certainly the minority, but if your daughter is disciplined and academically gifted, it is possible and would be a great accomplishment.

For the lax studs or top academic girls any major is possible but coaches would rather not have to deal with difficult majors. Very few coaches will accept mid roster players to miss practices and travel so they can intern or go to a hospital as part of their major. Don't let a coach talk you into a major keep looking because you can find the right school

Anonymous #151952 02/23/16 09:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry but you cant have it both ways when SS took over Hofstra the TG faithful were saying she would have them competing for a national title in 4-5 years, TG would be the top program on LI etc.. Seems like its going the opposite way. Difficult for her to attract the top talent from out of state and say what you want but YJ players just do not want to go there, she has an impossible road ahead.With the depleted talent pool of TG exactly where is she going to get her players from. I think SS could be an excellent coach but if you want to be a successful LI D1 program doing it without YJ is not easy. Remember the days when people were comparing Stony Brook with Hofstra.

Between her and her father they are alienating people all over the Long Island Lax community. I think its the father more that SS. He is constantly bad mouthing other coaches at other organizations, HS's and other people who are solid people in third community. Heck he even bumped a club directors daughter because a bunch of girls from their town left TG and the
Director wouldn't talk to the families for BS. Telling TG girls and their families not to trust so and so. He should keep his mouth shut because I'm his own words "he's to stupid to remember who he lied to", and he also is too stupid to remember whom he talked smack about. He has already bad mouthed a Hofstra Alum who has donated a lot of time and money to help build "The Mack". That person has already taken up the issue with the school admim. BS no longer allowed at Pride Club events. Not a good situation.

Page 9 of 200 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 199 200

Link Copied to Clipboard