BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 75 1 2 3 4 74 75
Re: 2016 Women's College Lacrosse Season
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Since 1990 there have only been 5 programs to win the national championship. I think everyone had hoped the game would have had a better competitive balance by now but it just cant seem to break through. After the top 10-15 programs the talent level still falls off a cliff. Everyone plays by the same scholarship rules so why can't other programs break in?

Maryland has 11, Northwestern 7, Princeton 3, Virginia 3, North Carolina 1

Talent. There simply isn't enough to go around. That is why the Top Programs go after the top talent early. After the top 20 - 30 girls commit the talent level drops off (there are a few who are missed but for the most part the best players are identified early). Not all of the players at the top programs are studs. The programs number 1 & 2 recruits are usually significantly stronger than the 9 & 10 recruits.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since 1990 there have only been 5 programs to win the national championship. I think everyone had hoped the game would have had a better competitive balance by now but it just cant seem to break through. After the top 10-15 programs the talent level still falls off a cliff. Everyone plays by the same scholarship rules so why can't other programs break in?

Maryland has 11, Northwestern 7, Princeton 3, Virginia 3, North Carolina 1

Talent. There simply isn't enough to go around. That is why the Top Programs go after the top talent early. After the top 20 - 30 girls commit the talent level drops off (there are a few who are missed but for the most part the best players are identified early). Not all of the players at the top programs are studs. The programs number 1 & 2 recruits are usually significantly stronger than the 9 & 10 recruits.

Just look at Syracuse, can't tell me they are paying all 50 girls. Top programs all have the same cash, why don't girls go to lesser programs to get more $$$ and then those teams would jump up to the top? Florida overpaid some and got close but it's still hard to understand the stranglehold on the championships by a couple of teams. Will the shot clock make it like the wild west and bring more teams into the mix?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Power conference schools have way more resources Budget money uniforms etc

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Power conference schools have way more resources Budget money uniforms etc

huh? all the top programs travel by coach or plane, all have all the gear they want, all have updated weight rooms, some have better stadiums than others but there has to be something else

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Funny thing about that statement is if stony brook played their bench warmers or freshman they would have still beat the snot out of bing.

quote=Anonymous]
Makes no difference regardless 1st game or 2nd , Syracuse 2nd 3rd or 4th line that program should be able to dominate Binghamton wouldn't you say ? Your willing to Bet sounds like this may have hit a nerve..lol .. Reality of it is all programs come and go in cycles . Stony Brook being one of them , as Northwestern was years ago.. its the luck of the draw for recruitment and team bond in any program .

Either Syracuse lost some steam or Binghamton picked up some really solid players , close call for Syracuse yesterday , looks like some tides may be changing with many teams this season , should be very interesting !

Or, just maybe Syracuse played two games on Sunday (Binghamton being the second game). I would be willing to bet the Syracuse starting lineup was different for each of the contests. I would also bet that a lot of different girls saw action.

All bench players and freshman played the entire second game. Syracuse rested the big guns. Great to see all the girls get time in a day night doubleheader [/quote]

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hofstra was picked high even with their killer schedule so their game one loss to lowly New Hampshire really hurts

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hofstra was picked high even with their killer schedule so their game one loss to lowly New Hampshire really hurts

Not sure that they were "picked high" or that a loss "really hurts". You sound like a bitter negative person who has something against Hofstra.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Hofstra was picked high even with their killer schedule so their game one loss to lowly New Hampshire really hurts

Not sure that they were "picked high" or that a loss "really hurts". You sound like a bitter negative person who has something against Hofstra. [/quote

Lax Power has Hofstra's strength of schedule at #28 and Stony Brook at #106. This is the same thing that hurts Baylor in college football every year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I meant to thank you for this. Went with my daughter to Mercy and New Haven and she fell in love with Mercy. Very impressed with the business program and brand new facilities. Did not get the same vibe from New Haven, very low energy. She wants to go away but not too far, wish a SUNY had a D2. Still have time as she is 2018.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is a "normal" roster size for a D1 school? I was looking at Syracuse after all the talk about the Binghamton game and realized they have 51 on the roster.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]What is a "normal" roster size for a D1 school? I was looking at Syracuse after all the talk about the Binghamton game and realized they have 51 on the roster. [/

I believe an average d1 women's team's roster is between 28-32. Syracuse's roster is run more like a men's team. Big roster, starters, subs, practice team and extras. They do play more girls in most games than other teams seem to

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is a "normal" roster size for a D1 school? I was looking at Syracuse after all the talk about the Binghamton game and realized they have 51 on the roster.

Ivies carry around 28

Medium-sized programs 28-32
Vandy, Stanford etc. have 30 ish

Big ones 32-40 ... NU, MD, UNC

Biggest SYR 51

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ivies carry around 28

Medium-sized programs 28-32
Vandy, Stanford etc. have 30 ish

Big ones 32-40 ... NU, MD, UNC

Biggest SYR 51

Small D1 programs like Brooklyn and St Francis carry 19-21 which is great if you just want to play!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hofstra will have their chance later this season to prove how strong they are. Hofstra and Stony Brook will play and we will see what happens then. It will be done the right way two teams on the field. Good Luck!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some schools take more on their roster knowing they will never see the field … and like syracuse get top tier players… but the effect is that those girls not in the top 20 on the Syracuse roster will never see the field FOR Syracuse… or AGAINST THEM. Get the picture?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Championship weekend returning to Stony Brook in 2018 - looking forward to it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some schools take more on their roster knowing they will never see the field … and like syracuse get top tier players… but the effect is that those girls not in the top 20 on the Syracuse roster will never see the field FOR Syracuse… or AGAINST THEM. Get the picture?

I was told by a parent of a kid on last years team that in the middle of the season around 10 girls were cut from the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was told by a parent of a kid on last years team that in the middle of the season around 10 girls were cut from the team.

Probably more like Dad wanted to her go to Syracuse so he could say she was on the team and she was on the bottom end of the roster with no scholarship. Then around mid season she realized the team and the coach controlled her life as they were pushing for a national championship. At that point they probably cut themselves and quit. Any girl that was used to being the "girl" and then finds herself not playing is a tough adjustment. I don't think people realize how much time the kids put in.

Google the UNC lawsuit by players saying they were forced to put in 50-60 hours per week which deprived them of an education. That lawsuit led to a blind self NCAA reporting questionnaire sent to all D1 athletes in all sports where the average was 40+ hours per week with the team. This is why many schools choose your major for you. First time parents BEWARE!! Low D1, D2 and D3 might be better for many kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]What is a "normal" roster size for a D1 school? I was looking at Syracuse after all the talk about the Binghamton game and realized they have 51 on the roster. [/

I believe an average d1 women's team's roster is between 28-32. Syracuse's roster is run more like a men's team. Big roster, starters, subs, practice team and extras. They do play more girls in most games than other teams seem to

Most schools that carry large rosters don't travel with all their players.. some of those 51 players only dress for home games. I would guess like 25-28 travel to away games.. either cross town or cross country

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

Would like to see D3 join them as well. I thought Philly last year was great.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by baldbear

I think parents would be shocked at the high level of lacrosse being played at the top of D3. Many of these teams would blow the doors off lower ranked D1 teams. Lots of club parents seem to have a snobbish opinion when talking about D2 and D3 lax when in reality many of these schools are just flat out better. When Spalina was at Adelphi his teams would have crushed many D1's and competed with most. When you read the earlier post about D1 athletics being a fulltime job 5-6 hours or training a day many should look at D2 and D3

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Adelphi still can their team the last two years and this season is very good!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think parents would be shocked at the high level of lacrosse being played at the top of D3. Many of these teams would blow the doors off lower ranked D1 teams. Lots of club parents seem to have a snobbish opinion when talking about D2 and D3 lax when in reality many of these schools are just flat out better. When Spalina was at Adelphi his teams would have crushed many D1's and competed with most. When you read the earlier post about D1 athletics being a fulltime job 5-6 hours or training a day many should look at D2 and D3

The "snobbishness" around D2 is deserved from an academic point of view. Most D2 schools are pretty [lacrosse] poor academically. D3 has some great academic institutions and strong lax. D3 also allows you to experience college fully, including going abroad for a semester if you choose. D1 and D3 are where it's at. D2 not so much.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So where would Adelphi or the top D2 school start beating D1 teams? Would have to think they would have an easy go of it with D1 teams ranked 50-110 and would be competitive with some teams above that?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So where would Adelphi or the top D2 school start beating D1 teams? Would have to think they would have an easy go of it with D1 teams ranked 50-110 and would be competitive with some teams above that?
Brooklyn played both Adelphi and Post this fall at Hofstra. 1 goal game against Adelphi, beat post by 3 or 4

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Brooklyn played both Adelphi and Post this fall at Hofstra. 1 goal game against Adelphi, beat post by 3 or 4

Post played their bench for 75% of that game. Post beat Hofstra, Sienna, & Cen. Conn. that day.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So, we are back to square one with this topic. Just be happy where your kid is playing. Must we fight over everything?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Post played their bench for 75% of that game. Post beat Hofstra, Sienna, & Cen. Conn. that day.

Post and Adelphi would win the D1 MAC and Patriot leagues easily. The Post win over Hofstra is against a top 30 team. Anyone can win on any day but it shows the D2 girls can compete. There is nothing wrong with D1 Wagner but D2 and D3 play some nice lax

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hofstra only played there starters for 10% of that game. Cent conn lost to brooklyn by a goal last year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As snobbish as saying you would blow the doors off of a lower D1, whatever makes you feel better though

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Post and Adelphi would win the D1 MAC and Patriot leagues easily. The Post win over Hofstra is against a top 30 team. Anyone can win on any day but it shows the D2 girls can compete. There is nothing wrong with D1 Wagner but D2 and D3 play some nice lax

"Easily" winning the Patriot League is a mighty big statement as Loyola (Patriot League champ) was ranked 11th in the country and beat Syracuse, Virginia and Hopkins last year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"Easily" winning the Patriot League is a mighty big statement as Loyola (Patriot League champ) was ranked 11th in the country and beat Syracuse, Virginia and Hopkins last year.
Please don't ruin the delusion that D2 can compete with D1 with facts.

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

The Wagner mention came from left field. Did I miss someone say anything about Wagner?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The "snobbishness" around D2 is deserved from an academic point of view. Most D2 schools are pretty [lacrosse] poor academically. D3 has some great academic institutions and strong lax. D3 also allows you to experience college fully, including going abroad for a semester if you choose. D1 and D3 are where it's at. D2 not so much.

Thanks D3 dad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks D3 dad.

No. Actually D3 player in my day and D1 parent. Whichever your choice and ability, go for the academics. And those are best at D1 and D3. Not sure how anyone can argue otherwise. Just go to the academic rankings. It's pretty clear. So use lax skill to get into a great school and set yourself up for life.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did you really say Adelphi or Post could win the patriot league?? U are crazy. No way would that happen.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the post was Adelphi (not Post) Adelphi has been a good team for years now and in Fall Ball they only would play D1 programs if possible. I will say it again, when Spallina was there and since they are a very good team and would be a very good D1 team. Many D1 teams can not beat the top D2 or D3 (top 2or 3 ) NOT ALL !!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Take academics out of it but if you don't think the best D2 school beats the bottom 50 D1 programs I think you are fooling yourself.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A bunch of surprising outcomes in today's games. A few that stood out to me were:
- Harvard killing Hofstra
- Florida pulling out a win over UNC
- Drexel barely beating Columbia
- Maryland killing Georgetown (expected Terps win, but not by so much)
- Princeton beating Virginia by 7 (expected Tiger win, but not by so much)
- Vermont beating Colgate

I know it's not a men's forum, but also shocking that Hofstra men beat UNC 10-5 after Hofstra graduated a very strong class. Tough day for the Tarheels.

Thoughts?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A bunch of surprising outcomes in today's games. A few that stood out to me were:
- Harvard killing Hofstra
- Florida pulling out a win over UNC
- Drexel barely beating Columbia
- Maryland killing Georgetown (expected Terps win, but not by so much)
- Princeton beating Virginia by 7 (expected Tiger win, but not by so much)
- Vermont beating Colgate

I know it's not a men's forum, but also shocking that Hofstra men beat UNC 10-5 after Hofstra graduated a very strong class. Tough day for the Tarheels.

Thoughts?

Hofstra only being able to get girls on long island from their own club is going to really come back to burn them. 0-2 and they haven't gotten to the hard part of the schedule.

Page 2 of 75 1 2 3 4 74 75

Link Copied to Clipboard