BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24
Re: 2016 Men's College Lacrosse Season D1, D2, and D3
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did Hofstra get to be such a non-entity in the NCAA Div 1 Lacrosse scene?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If he is doing a post grad year, he is moving on just like kids he graduated from HS that opted to go to college. Northeast boarding schools are full of post grad kids, in all sports, football basketball, lacrosse, etc.
I know quite a few Nassau HS boys who went the post grad prep route.

Myles Jones
Justin Guterding
Rob Pannell
Brian Willets

Just to name a few that went the PG route at New England Prep schools. So call it what you want, holdback, reclassed, PG, but it all ends up the same, kids end up 19-20 year old freshmen.

I think the point being missed is these players PG'd yes but they played age appropriate youth ball. The trend is now to hold back and repeat so young men are playing children on the travel circuit which in turn has created such disdain for the PG players. If its about getting into a better school I would PG my own son only after he has completed his youth ball and was done with high school. I just wouldnt have him play down in youth travel.In college soccer American players are in competition with many foreign players who are sometimes 3 to 4 years older as freshmen.

Right on point!!!! Pannell and Jones didn't miraculously go from 2019 to 2020 one summer. They did the PG year AFTER they had been recruited as on age players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If he is doing a post grad year, he is moving on just like kids he graduated from HS that opted to go to college. Northeast boarding schools are full of post grad kids, in all sports, football basketball, lacrosse, etc.

Myles Jones
Justin Guterding
Rob Pannell
Brian Willets

Just to name a few that went the PG route at New England Prep schools. So call it what you want, holdback, reclassed, PG, but it all ends up the same, kids end up 19-20 year old freshmen.

I think the point being missed is these players PG'd yes but they played age appropriate youth ball. The trend is now to hold back and repeat so young men are playing children on the travel circuit which in turn has created such disdain for the PG players. If its about getting into a better school I would PG my own son only after he has completed his youth ball and was done with high school. I just wouldnt have him play down in youth travel.In college soccer American players are in competition with many foreign players who are sometimes 3 to 4 years older as freshmen.

Right on point!!!! Pannell and Jones didn't miraculously go from 2019 to 2020 one summer. They did the PG year AFTER they had been recruited as on age players.

Same for Willets

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did a forum about the 2016 college season so quickly become another discussion about reclassing?

Because it is tainting the entire sport. Lacrosse is a joke now due to all the entitlement mentality.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Myles Jones
Justin Guterding
Rob Pannell
Brian Willets

The original discussion was because someone was crying about how Cuse didnt have any 18 year old freshman on their roster. So to me, it doesnt matter if a kid did a PG, reclassed or was a kindegarten holdback, the end result is the same, a large majority of lacrosse players will be 19-20 years old when they start school. (oh and not to mention that unless you were born in the 2nd half of the year, youre going to turn 19 in your freshman year anyway) This is a completely separate argument from the reclassing situation. If someone is reclassing their kid for the sole purpose of gaining an advantage for athletic reasons, obviously this is an issue and I believe there are ways to take that out of the sport if US Lacrosse, the clubs, and the tournament organizers take the steps necessary, which likely will never happen. Kids being 6 months to 1 year older when they start college is not a big deal, being 1 year older when your 13-14 is a big deal and it does create an advantage, people need to make that distinction.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did a forum about the 2016 college season so quickly become another discussion about reclassing?

Because it is tainting the entire sport. Lacrosse is a joke now due to all the entitlement mentality.

Entitlement mentality? A little dramatic no? People need to worry more about their own kids and their own behavior and less about what other people are deciding to do with THEIR children. The sport has problems like every other sport and I am sure at some point some of these issues will be addressed. The sport is growing and if your son is doing what hes supposed to be doing on the field and in the classroom he will find a spot. All the whining and crying is not going to help him get where he is going.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Myles Jones
Justin Guterding
Rob Pannell
Brian Willets

The original discussion was because someone was crying about how Cuse didnt have any 18 year old freshman on their roster. So to me, it doesnt matter if a kid did a PG, reclassed or was a kindegarten holdback, the end result is the same, a large majority of lacrosse players will be 19-20 years old when they start school. (oh and not to mention that unless you were born in the 2nd half of the year, youre going to turn 19 in your freshman year anyway) This is a completely separate argument from the reclassing situation. If someone is reclassing their kid for the sole purpose of gaining an advantage for athletic reasons, obviously this is an issue and I believe there are ways to take that out of the sport if US Lacrosse, the clubs, and the tournament organizers take the steps necessary, which likely will never happen. Kids being 6 months to 1 year older when they start college is not a big deal, being 1 year older when your 13-14 is a big deal and it does create an advantage, people need to make that distinction.
I mostly agree, a kid doing a P.G. year is no harm. My problem is when you guys do pre first (1 year older) reclass in 8th grade (2 years older), and then do a P.G. (3 years older) putting a man of 21 turning 22 as a freshman, at that age they should be graduating, and is cheating no matter how you look at it at any level. With my theory that 21 year old frosh could only have 1 year eligibility

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Myles Jones
Justin Guterding
Rob Pannell
Brian Willets

Whole heartedly agree.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse is a minor sport in the college sports world, unless it's football or basketball it costs the school more than it takes in. I have been to plenty of lacrosse games and I have never seen more than 3,000 people. Put lacrosse in its proper place, a nice sport, that kids enjoy, a $ loser for most schools in D1. So to all the people sobbing over the "holdbacks" and PG kids, get past it. How is it so different from a redshirt year? Leave the holdback nonsense out of EVERY discussion on this site. Let's talk college lacrosse and what teams look good so ealy in the season.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok so lets get to some real lacrosse. Did anyone catch the Navy-Hopkins stream last Tuesday night? Great game overall, but again the game was ruined by the atrocious officiating. I dont know what the thinking is with these officials but it seems that if two players make any kind of contact they are throwing flags for illegal body checks. Lacrosse is a contact sport and for some unknown reason they are trying to take hitting out of the game. In the Navy-Hopkins game, that call at the end of the 1st OT ended up costing Navy the game.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok so lets get to some real lacrosse. Did anyone catch the Navy-Hopkins stream last Tuesday night? Great game overall, but again the game was ruined by the atrocious officiating. I dont know what the thinking is with these officials but it seems that if two players make any kind of contact they are throwing flags for illegal body checks. Lacrosse is a contact sport and for some unknown reason they are trying to take hitting out of the game. In the Navy-Hopkins game, that call at the end of the 1st OT ended up costing Navy the game.

They needed to make that call. Can't have Hopkins losing their first game, and dropping out of the rankings!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rank the best D1 colleges in NY

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They needed to make that call. Can't have Hopkins losing their first game, and dropping out of the rankings!

Im not a big conspiracy guy but that sure looked like those refs were intentionally trying to have Hopkins win the game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Im not a big conspiracy guy but that sure looked like those refs were intentionally trying to have Hopkins win the game.

They were!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In terms of lacrosse only, academics only, or both and are we factoring in cost?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In terms of lacrosse only, academics only, or both and are we factoring in cost?

Lacrosse only

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That was harder than I thought

1. Syracuse
2. Cornell (although if we are talking this year I would move Cornell to 4th)
3. Albany
4. Stony Brook
5. Army
6. Colgate
7. Hofstra
8. Marist
9. St Johns
10. Hobart
11. Binghamton
12. Siena
13. Canisus
14. Wagner
15. Manhattan

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hard to argue with those rankings.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. Syracuse
3. Albany
4. Stony Brook
5. Army
6. Colgate
7. Hofstra
8. Marist
9. St Johns
10. Hobart
11. Binghamton
12. Siena
13. Canisus
14. Wagner
15. Manhattan

Biggest surprises. How are Hofstra and Binghamton not consistently better?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. Syracuse
3. Albany
4. Stony Brook
5. Army
6. Colgate
7. Hofstra
8. Marist
9. St Johns
10. Hobart
11. Binghamton
12. Siena
13. Canisus
14. Wagner
15. Manhattan

I agree, why is.it? I would think with all the local talent they would be able to keep kids home.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Admittedly biased since my guy is going to Albany, but really hadn't realized how strong the SUNY system had gotten since seeing a bunch of commercials during the presidential debates.

Lots of local kids want to get away for college, and while I don't know as much about Binghamton as I do UA and Stony Brook, if you are a NY resident those schools, lacrosse aside, are amazing deals in a day an age where undegrad degrees have lost a lot of luster.

On top of that you get the chance to play some big time lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's always been that way, I have hired numerous SUNY grads over the years. They seem to be better well rounded candidates with out having everything been handed to them in life. Just my opinion I'm not a SUNY grad just my observations over the years.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's always been that way, I have hired numerous SUNY grads over the years. They seem to be better well rounded candidates with out having everything been handed to them in life. Just my opinion I'm not a SUNY grad just my observations over the years.

Thanks, SUNY grad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like I said not a SUNY grad but you don't believe me anyway, so your welcome. You actually help support what I wrote based on your comment. So I in turn thank you.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

1. Syracuse
3. Albany
4. Stony Brook
5. Army
6. Colgate
7. Hofstra
8. Marist
9. St Johns
10. Hobart
11. Binghamton
12. Siena
13. Canisus
14. Wagner
15. Manhattan

I agree, why is.it? I would think with all the local talent they would be able to keep kids home.

Cost versus bang for your buck.

1.Is the school one of the best for lacrosse and an elite academic school.
2. Is the school in the upper tier of education and mediocre in lacrosse or vice versa.

These play important rolls in the selection process. Historically Cornell, Army, and Syracuse fall into these categories. Hobart also not as much now but in the past Hobart was once an elite lacrosse school. You cant compare many of the NY schools to the other state schools with in state tuition like
Michigan $27,000 in state room and board versus out of state $57,000
Penn State 34,00 in state room board versus out of state 48,000
University of Virginia in state tuition of $15,016 room and board versus out of state $41,720

Now NY Schools
Syracuse $57,00 for both in state and out of state
Cornell $64,000 for both in state and out of state
Hofstra $39,000 for both in state and out of state
Albany $20,500 in state room and board versus out of state $29,000
Army free but not for the majority of students takes a special person

These are just some examples as to why Long Island kids leave and go to these other schools. its also why many elite players stay in their state to play at one of their schools. This is just my opinion but all things I am taking into consideration for my son.

Last edited by America's Game; .
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. Syracuse
3. Albany
4. Stony Brook
5. Army
6. Colgate
7. Hofstra
8. Marist
9. St Johns
10. Hobart
11. Binghamton
12. Siena
13. Canisus
14. Wagner
15. Manhattan

Very strange that Hofstra isnt able to recruit better and be consistently in the Top 20, I think when it comes down to it, they just dont do a good job of recruiting, plain and simple. Couple that with the fact that many Long Island kids just dont want to stay home. I think you could say the same for Rutgers. Rutgers is a great school that plays in the Big 10 and is located in striking distance of NY, PA, CT, MA and obviously NJ. I can tell you that from my own experience with their coaching staff (they were looking at my son), that I really dont understand their recruiting philosophy at all. You would think they would be able to draw top recruits from all the states mentioned as well as athletes from non traditional areas. Addtionally with them being in the Big10 with Hopkins, Maryland, Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State, they better start doing a better job recruiting or they will be in the bottom of that conference every year.

As for Binghampton, I can only speculate that the reason they have trouble recruiting is the lcoation of the school. It truly is in the middle of nowhere and pretty cold with lots of snow. Great school and inexpensive for NY State residents, so Im not really sure why they cant attract kids from all over NYS.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wondered the same about Rutgers for both men and women.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. Syracuse
3. Albany
4. Stony Brook
5. Army
6. Colgate
7. Hofstra
8. Marist
9. St Johns
10. Hobart
11. Binghamton
12. Siena
13. Canisus
14. Wagner
15. Manhattan

Very strange that Hofstra isnt able to recruit better and be consistently in the Top 20, I think when it comes down to it, they just dont do a good job of recruiting, plain and simple. Couple that with the fact that many Long Island kids just dont want to stay home. I think you could say the same for Rutgers. Rutgers is a great school that plays in the Big 10 and is located in striking distance of NY, PA, CT, MA and obviously NJ. I can tell you that from my own experience with their coaching staff (they were looking at my son), that I really dont understand their recruiting philosophy at all. You would think they would be able to draw top recruits from all the states mentioned as well as athletes from non traditional areas. Addtionally with them being in the Big10 with Hopkins, Maryland, Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State, they better start doing a better job recruiting or they will be in the bottom of that conference every year.

As for Binghampton, I can only speculate that the reason they have trouble recruiting is the lcoation of the school. It truly is in the middle of nowhere and pretty cold with lots of snow. Great school and inexpensive for NY State residents, so Im not really sure why they cant attract kids from all over NYS.

Look at the options that the top lacrosse players on the island have.

Princeton
Harvard
Yale
Penn
Cornell
Brown
Dartmouth
Duke
Hopkins
Notre Dame
Virginia
Carolina
Penn State
Maryland
Ohio State
Boston University
Syracuse
Villanova
Loyola
Georgetown
Bucknell
Lehigh
Richmond
Army
Navy
Air force

The top 50 or so players on the Island will all have many great option. There is a very diverse group of schools to choose from for the top players. The coaches at schools like Hofstra, Stony Brook, Binghamton all have to work extra hard and think out of the box when it comes to recruiting if they want to compete for the best kids on the island.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FYI - 3 of Cornell's 7 college's are SUNY (Ag and Life Sciences, ILR and Human Ecology) and offer in state students a nice discount, somewhere around $20k

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. Syracuse
3. Albany
4. Stony Brook
5. Army
6. Colgate
7. Hofstra
8. Marist
9. St Johns
10. Hobart
11. Binghamton
12. Siena
13. Canisus
14. Wagner
15. Manhattan

haven't heard great things about their coach. Now his freshmen son is also there and heard he's not ready for prime time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. Syracuse
3. Albany
4. Stony Brook
5. Army
6. Colgate
7. Hofstra
8. Marist
9. St Johns
10. Hobart
11. Binghamton
12. Siena
13. Canisus
14. Wagner
15. Manhattan

haven't heard great things about their coach. Now his freshmen son is also there and heard he's not ready for prime time.

Many good points posted above as to why players leave L.I. to play. I would agree that the list of schools the top 50 kids could mostly likely play at is impressive. However I would think that the coach has something to do with it. I understand the local coaches have to work extra hard to keep local talent. Hofstra is not an elite academic school but it's not a terrible school. Not all the top players can qualify to attend some of the schools listed above. This is where the coach comes in. Players have to want to play for them. I don't think that is the case at Hofstra.
As for the post regarding his son playing for him, leave the kid out of it. I have seen him play. He will not be the worst on the roster if that is what you were implying by saying he is not yet ready for prime time. He has talent.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hofstra coach's son is not on roster yet, next year. Binghamton coach's son is a freshman at Binghamton. Think you may be confused.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hofstra son is a stand out player who could have gone anywhere he wanted. Will bring a lot to the Hofstra program. Comming from a Smithown parent who has followed the kid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Massapeua has some talented kids, they might surprise
Some people.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hofstra coach's son is not on roster yet, next year. Binghamton coach's son is a freshman at Binghamton. Think you may be confused.

Was talking about Binghamton. Wasn't talking about Tierney. Everyone knows them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. Syracuse
3. Albany
4. Stony Brook
5. Army
6. Colgate
7. Hofstra
8. Marist
9. St Johns
10. Hobart
11. Binghamton
12. Siena
13. Canisus
14. Wagner
15. Manhattan

Many good points posted above as to why players leave L.I. to play. I would agree that the list of schools the top 50 kids could mostly likely play at is impressive. However I would think that the coach has something to do with it. I understand the local coaches have to work extra hard to keep local talent. Hofstra is not an elite academic school but it's not a terrible school. Not all the top players can qualify to attend some of the schools listed above. This is where the coach comes in. Players have to want to play for them. I don't think that is the case at Hofstra.
As for the post regarding his son playing for him, leave the kid out of it. I have seen him play. He will not be the worst on the roster if that is what you were implying by saying he is not yet ready for prime time. He has talent.

Binghampton coaches son was chosen as an Under Armour All American and he was the leading scorer in the history of his high school. Why people feel the need to come on this board and knock 18 year old kids who have busted their butts to get where they are Ill never understand.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stonybrook looking good so far. Brody Eastwood is the real deal, fun to watch!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Called jealousy, know it well!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are at Binghamton on the lacrosse roster, I would imagine everyone has a pretty good high school resume and "busted their butts" . Is Vestal a lacrosse powerhouse? And not knocking an 18 year old, wondering if a 5-9 150 pound freshmen would be playing over upper classmen, but oh yeah, his father happens to be the HC. That's the kind of stuff that gives parents of potential recruits pause. Now we can move on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't put down Hofstra academics to much, Bobby Axelrod graduated from Hofstra and look at him now.

Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard