BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,636
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 37 of 47 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 46 47
Re: Re: Boys 2019-9th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Don't forget that there are schools within schools. As a parent it is easy to get wrapped up in the pedigree of a school and I think we all know successful people and idiots from top tier schools and people who have hit out of the park from lesser branded schools.

If have older kids who have gone through the college process with or without sports I think you really begin to see the ROI aspect of paying for a college education and in most cases in today's economy is it more about one's professional schooling.

There are obvious benefits of being able to tap into an established alumni network but hat is no guarantee of success.

One of the most talented guys I ever worked with was a Computer Science major from Maryland. He was one of the developers of Google Chrome and is very happy with the full academic ride he received and his multi million dollar net worth. There are a lot of ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Our son decided to go to state school with a good lacrosse program, and with the combination of merit and athletic money he is going to graduate will almost zero debt and with a very strong degree in which this school is very well respected.

On average, a graduate from a Patriot/Ivy has a distinct advantage over a grad from a state school. The Google Chrome designer is a 1 in a million kid.

Again, another poster with the "patriot / Ivy" as if they are one and the same or equal. Nothing against the patriot schools but Becknell is not Harvard, Lehigh is not Princeton, Boston University is not Yale, Lafayette is not Penn. Get it, they do not equate. For some reason some on this site want to promote the Patriot schools by referencing them along with the Ivy's as a far superior choice to a State School.

To say that a student graduating from a Patriot League School will have far more advantages than a student graduating from a State School is foolish.

Virginia, North Carolina, Michigan, Penn State and Maryland are all "State Schools". Remove Lacrosse from the picture and I am not sure that I would choose a patriot school over any of them.

After the Ivy's its Hopkins, Duke, Notre Dame, Georgetown.

As far as academics / lacrosse go I would say the top 5 conferences are:

1 - Ivy
2 - ACC
3 - Big Ten
4 - Big East
5 – Patriot

Are we only talking D1 because I would include NASCAR also.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I meant NESCAC.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do you mean NESCAC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do you mean NESCAC

Damm auto correct

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't forget that there are schools within schools. As a parent it is easy to get wrapped up in the pedigree of a school and I think we all know successful people and idiots from top tier schools and people who have hit out of the park from lesser branded schools.

If have older kids who have gone through the college process with or without sports I think you really begin to see the ROI aspect of paying for a college education and in most cases in today's economy is it more about one's professional schooling.

There are obvious benefits of being able to tap into an established alumni network but hat is no guarantee of success.

One of the most talented guys I ever worked with was a Computer Science major from Maryland. He was one of the developers of Google Chrome and is very happy with the full academic ride he received and his multi million dollar net worth. There are a lot of ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Our son decided to go to state school with a good lacrosse program, and with the combination of merit and athletic money he is going to graduate will almost zero debt and with a very strong degree in which this school is very well respected.

On average, a graduate from a Patriot/Ivy has a distinct advantage over a grad from a state school. The Google Chrome designer is a 1 in a million kid.

Again, another poster with the "patriot / Ivy" as if they are one and the same or equal. Nothing against the patriot schools but Becknell is not Harvard, Lehigh is not Princeton, Boston University is not Yale, Lafayette is not Penn. Get it, they do not equate. For some reason some on this site want to promote the Patriot schools by referencing them along with the Ivy's as a far superior choice to a State School.

To say that a student graduating from a Patriot League School will have far more advantages than a student graduating from a State School is foolish.

Virginia, North Carolina, Michigan, Penn State and Maryland are all "State Schools". Remove Lacrosse from the picture and I am not sure that I would choose a patriot school over any of them.

1 - Ivy
2 - ACC
3 - Big Ten
4 - Big East
5 – Patriot

Hmmm…Patriot League should be much higher on this list. Ask any employer.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1 - Ivy
2 - ACC
3 - Big Ten
4 - Big East
5 – Patriot

Hmmm…Patriot League should be much higher on this list. Ask any employer.

Outside of the Ivy League and ACC, each conference has a pretty wide range of academic strength.

Patriot League would probably come in third in terms of strength overall, but random schools in the remaining conferences (places like Hopkins, Georgetown, etc.) are better than every school in the Patriot League.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Better then West Point and navy? Don't think so

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
America East is no joke with Albany, StonyBrook, Binghampton and Vermont. StonyBrook and Albany are in the preseason Top 20

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not even close to being better the West Point or Annapolis. That's a crazy remark..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From Forbes College Guide 2016:

Top 100 (Lacrosse Colleges only listed (men))

ACC: ND 13, Duke 22, UVa 36, UNC 49, UMd 93

Big 10: Michigan 41, Hopkins 62

Big East: Georgetown 23, 'NOva 72

Patriot: USMA 11, USNA 27, Colgate 40, Bucknell 43, Lafayette 53, Holy Cross 55, Lehigh 74, Boston U 91

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When talking academic West Point and navy are better then the acc schools. But how many boys really want to go there when it's a different type of college life. You are not going to the local pub on a Thursday night to go meet some girls and get drunk. And also the state of this country is not good. Most likely you will be in harms way once you graduate.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not even close to being better the West Point or Annapolis. That's a crazy remark..

West Point, Annapolis and The Air Force Academy are in a class by themselves academically, as is the Coast Guard who just recently added D3 lacrosse. Cant compare them to regular schools, not the same animal.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From Forbes College Guide 2016:

Top 100 (Lacrosse Colleges only listed (men))

ACC: ND 13, Duke 22, UVa 36, UNC 49, UMd 93

Big 10: Michigan 41, Hopkins 62

Big East: Georgetown 23, 'NOva 72

Patriot: USMA 11, USNA 27, Colgate 40, Bucknell 43, Lafayette 53, Holy Cross 55, Lehigh 74, Boston U 91

Not sure what that is based on, nor am I debating the quality of education at any of these schools, but one thing that is undenyable is the ability of schools with large alumni bases to help get your kid a job - which is the whole goal of this, right?
Michigan may "rank" right next to Colgate and Bucknell - but would think UM's massive alumni base provides some kind of advantage

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The debate started when someone equated Patriot League schools with Ivy League Schools. That post along with some others have implied that a degree from a Patriot School is far better than a degree from a State School.

Patriot League Schools are good schools but they are not Ivy league Schools. Personally, If my kids could go to an Ivy that is where I would encourage them to go. The Patriot Schools would come in behind the likes of:

Duke, Hopkins, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Michigan, Virgina, North Carolina, Penn State, Maryland and maybe Ohio State (I have not looked into Ohio State).

Depending on what a student athlete is looking for the above all can offer a great college experience along with excellent academics and great alumni networks.

If your son is an excellent student but is not offered a spot at an Ivy or Duke, Hopkins, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Villanova etc... I would look at the NESCAC Schools. If you are looking for small private schools with excellent academics and competitive athletics NESCAC is the way to go.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1 - Ivy
2 - ACC
3 - Big Ten
4 - Big East
5 – Patriot

I will/have hire a Patriot league grad over a state school grad. The rankings you posted have no basis in real world reality and are frankly laughable.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1 - Ivy
2 - ACC
3 - Big Ten
4 - Big East
5 – Patriot

I will/have hire a Patriot league grad over a state school grad. The rankings you posted have no basis in real world reality and are frankly laughable.

That's ok, the Binghampton kid didn't want to work at Target anyway.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a 2019 thread isn't it. There is at least another 18 months before we truly know where our boys will land, verbal or not. If any of those schools came calling I think any one of us would have to consider it and I consider you lucky and wish you and your son much success. (a few have had multiple offers because if one wants you chances are a few do.

Outside of the Ivy's, some of these schools offer a better college experience be it FBS football or an academic club experience. Some are decisively smaller or larger and could be the perfect environment for your child.

I personally do not think it is a bad choice if you are "stuck" going to any of those.

Good luck to all 2001 boys

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so is your grammar

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually.. You're wrong, except for maybe the very top Business positions. Which in that case Ivy trumps Patriot every time. Recent article in WSJ shows starting salaries, and mid-career salaries for upper tier school verse mid-tier schools. Shocking finding for the name brand shopper. Only career where there was any difference was business. Even there, it was only a few thousand dollars. After taxes your Patriot degree will allow you have one nice additional dinner out a month. In other majors like engineering, going to the upper tier school gave zero benefit. For example, Manhattan College grads do better than those coming out of the Navel Academy and other top schools. The moral of the story is: Take the 50% scholarship from Manhattan, actually get to play, come out with no debt and make the same as the Bucknell Grad. Clearly, this is logic even an Ivy grad can follow.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes i have heard that manhattan grads do very well. I hear they get great internships.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually.. You're wrong, except for maybe the very top Business positions. Which in that case Ivy trumps Patriot every time. Recent article in WSJ shows starting salaries, and mid-career salaries for upper tier school verse mid-tier schools. Shocking finding for the name brand shopper. Only career where there was any difference was business. Even there, it was only a few thousand dollars. After taxes your Patriot degree will allow you have one nice additional dinner out a month. In other majors like engineering, going to the upper tier school gave zero benefit. For example, Manhattan College grads do better than those coming out of the Navel Academy and other top schools. The moral of the story is: Take the 50% scholarship from Manhattan, actually get to play, come out with no debt and make the same as the Bucknell Grad. Clearly, this is logic even an Ivy grad can follow.

Great post, thank you for infusing some common sense into this thread. My son is 2018 and he verballed to a mid level D1 that is competitive every year in its conference and has excellent internship opportunities. He was offered a 50 percent athletic and has the opportunity to get full tuition depending on how his grades end up. He will graduate with zero debt, he will play for 4 years if he works hard and is dedicated and the coaching staff is first rate. My son was never an Ivy candidate academically, and he wasnt on any of the ACC radars so he actually ended up exactly where he should have and I couldnt be happier for him. My advice to anyone going through this process, is to be patient, keep an open mind and listen and entertain every offer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great post, thank you for infusing some common sense into this thread. My son is 2018 and he verballed to a mid level D1 that is competitive every year in its conference and has excellent internship opportunities. He was offered a 50 percent athletic and has the opportunity to get full tuition depending on how his grades end up. He will graduate with zero debt, he will play for 4 years if he works hard and is dedicated and the coaching staff is first rate. My son was never an Ivy candidate academically, and he wasnt on any of the ACC radars so he actually ended up exactly where he should have and I couldnt be happier for him. My advice to anyone going through this process, is to be patient, keep an open mind and listen and entertain every offer.

.... and don't fall into the trap of being an academic snob. An Ivy league degree isn't a one way ticket to the corporate boardroom nor is a degree from a lesser state school a one way ticket to mediocrity. I humored my son and took him to visit a school I wasn't sure about and it is the one he committed too.

Ultimately it was my son's decision and he committed to a school that in the aggregate is probably below what his GPA and ACT score might indicate, but it is very strong with very high job placement rates in what he is going to study, and a 8-15 lacrosse team.

He had opportunities at more "prestigious" schools but he felt this was the right place in terms of cost (he is paying for it), coaching staff, academic major, and while not a great chance at least the chance to make it to championship weekend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes i have heard that manhattan grads do very well. I hear they get great internships.

Manhattan grad (engineering) and benefiting from the network and very low debt load. Your point is definitely valid, but unfortunately the lax there has been terrible lately, maybe worse than terrible! I'm sure there is a better example and we can only hope that a very good reasonably priced school can get better on the field so that it becomes a better option for a lot of our smarter local kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah I agree with keeping smarter local kids to go there but your right in terms of lax. Pretty bad team. But heard this new coaching staff is a lot better. Old one did not care about the importance of recruiting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Manhattan grad (engineering) and benefiting from the network and very low debt load. Your point is definitely valid, but unfortunately the lax there has been terrible lately, maybe worse than terrible! I'm sure there is a better example and we can only hope that a very good reasonably priced school can get better on the field so that it becomes a better option for a lot of our smarter local kids.

Hartford falls into that same category as MC. But they are pricey.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hartford falls into that same category as MC. But they are pricey.

Hartford actually gets most of the internships in the city of Hartford so there are a lot of opportunities. Lax team is always competitive and the coaching staff is great. IMO one of the most underrated and little known programs out there, but they do a great job. It is doubtful they will ever get to final four weekend, but how many teams outside the TOP 20 ever do?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1 - Ivy
2 - ACC
3 - Big Ten
4 - Big East
5 – Patriot

There was a Wall Street Journal article that listed the results from a survey completed by nearly 500 recruiters for the nation’s largest public and private companies, nonprofit organizations and federal agencies across every region of the country and spanning nearly two dozen industries. The WSJ asked recruiters to identify, based on their experience, the colleges and universities whose bachelor degree graduates were the best-trained and educated, and best able to succeed once hired.

1. Penn State University
2. Texas A&M University
3. University of Illinois
4. Purdue University
5. Arizona State University
6. University of Michigan
7. Georgia Tech
8. University of Maryland
9. University of Florida
10. Carnegie Mellon University
11. Brigham Young University
12. Ohio State University
13. Virginia Tech
14. Cornell University
15. University of California – Berkeley
16. University of Wisconsin
17. UCLA
18. Texas Tech
19. North Carolina State
20. University of Virginia
21. Rutgers University
22. Notre Dame
23. MIT
24. University of Southern California
25. Washington State University

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah I agree with keeping smarter local kids to go there but your right in terms of lax. Pretty bad team. But heard this new coaching staff is a lot better. Old one did not care about the importance of recruiting.

That seems right. Their roster should be loaded with LI kids and there are really very few. Maybe the old coach had never heard of LI... And Manhattan is a Catholic school, you would think they could grab a good Chaminade or St A kid or two each year, I think they have one total.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No NY schools on that list. Bet it is because there are lots of choices so the numbers don't add up.

You have to figure Columbia and NYU would be ahead of some of those schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
By my count 19 out of 25 on that WSJ survey are state schools. Only one Ivy, ironically the supposedly easiest one to get into.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1 - Ivy
2 - ACC
3 - Big Ten
4 - Big East
5 – Patriot

There was a Wall Street Journal article that listed the results from a survey completed by nearly 500 recruiters for the nation’s largest public and private companies, nonprofit organizations and federal agencies across every region of the country and spanning nearly two dozen industries. The WSJ asked recruiters to identify, based on their experience, the colleges and universities whose bachelor degree graduates were the best-trained and educated, and best able to succeed once hired.

1. Penn State University
2. Texas A&M University
4. Purdue University
7. Georgia Tech
9. University of Florida
13. Virginia Tech
14. Cornell University
17. UCLA
18. Texas Tech
19. North Carolina State
21. Rutgers University
22. Notre Dame
23. MIT

We Are!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1 - Ivy
2 - ACC
3 - Big Ten
4 - Big East
5 – Patriot

1. Penn State University
2. Texas A&M University
4. Purdue University
7. Georgia Tech
9. University of Florida
13. Virginia Tech
14. Cornell University
17. UCLA
18. Texas Tech
19. North Carolina State
21. Rutgers University
22. Notre Dame
23. MIT

We Are!

Marshall

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Early recruiting working for Hopkins? Lol love seeing them have trouble with all their highest ranking players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Early recruiting working for Hopkins? Lol love seeing them have trouble with all their highest ranking players.

Did you also notice how many cadets went to the prep before the academy. Doing the holdback thing the right way.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh stop Hopkins has many 19 and 20 yr old freshman.You are talking apples and oranges about kids going to army and navy prep compared to other schools. Thats not considered holdbacks like you reclassing your kid in 8th grade because you know he cant hang with his own age.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Deal with it losers. You will always have excuses

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
losers?? You have no idea about life. Keep teaching your kid to get ahead in life the wrong way.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This the huntington Dad again defending the leaving back/hold back/cheating? PG year is a whole different bag than the jr high hold back/system gaming. No wonder he is struggling, he just doesn't get it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This the huntington Dad again defending the leaving back/hold back/cheating? PG year is a whole different bag than the jr high hold back/system gaming. No wonder he is struggling, he just doesn't get it.

Nope, and the holbacks not even good enough to start! Pathetic!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nope, and the holbacks not even good enough to start! Pathetic!

Can you please take this conversation to the 2020 thread if that is where the player is now playing.

Page 37 of 47 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard