BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Long Island Jesters
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,660
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22
Re: High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
ESM girls state champion - 8th grader big part of teams championship run.

But not 7th

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boom! That just happened

the conversation is about girls not boys

And they're 7th grade girls, not 8th.

lefty or righty?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boom! That just happened

Either boys or girls it is a rare occurrence, as it should be. Its the districts that do it often where it becomes questionable, it is a rare player that comes along once in a blue moon that can actually play and produce at the next level, and this is rare but has been done before and will continue to be done in the future.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Girls physically mature at a much younger age and the game is not nearly as physical as the boys game. These two girls are highly skilled. Good luck to them!

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by America's Game

Oh yea? Name one quality HS program who bought up an 8th grader who actually produced. Don't think so, it is hard enough for an exceptionall freshman to do much!

Syosset - Dan Loftus started in goal and went on to be an AA at Duke - Jeff Cohen, not sure of totals but had over 25 goals in 8th grade on varsity went on to have big totals at Harvard - Ryan Lukacovic started as an 8th grader before going to Chaminade for the rest of HS scored a bunch including being leading scorer for Syosset in playoffs now Starting at Virginia.

Ok so out of the thousands of players you name a goalie who was great and a head of his peers at an early age. When there is a need it could result in an 8th grader being brought up.

Jeff Cohen again an anomaly was at one time the leading goal scorer at Harvard. Your grasping at straws with these examples. These are true studs and went on to prove so. The programs with strong youth and feeders usually will not bring up an 8th grader. It would probably be a weaker struggling program that must do this.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
garden city...james Sullivan was on varsity as FOGO as 8th grader. is that a quality enough program for you ?

You picked the wrong day to bring him up! Still a great player, but also an example of be careful of what you wish for. The media can be a real [lacrosse] to these kids. JZ and Justin T got it right with Holy Grail!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boom! That just happened

lefty or righty?

Righties

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Girls physically mature at a much younger age and the game is not nearly as physical as the boys game. These two girls are highly skilled. Good luck to them!

Excellent 11 year olds. Means nothing. Get a grip mom.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Excellent 11 year olds. Means nothing. Get a grip mom.

Stop the misogyny. It's so petty.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh yea? Name one quality HS program who bought up an 8th grader who actually produced. Don't think so, it is hard enough for an exceptionall freshman to do much!

Syosset - Dan Loftus started in goal and went on to be an AA at Duke - Jeff Cohen, not sure of totals but had over 25 goals in 8th grade on varsity went on to have big totals at Harvard - Ryan Lukacovic started as an 8th grader before going to Chaminade for the rest of HS scored a bunch including being leading scorer for Syosset in playoffs now Starting at Virginia.

Ok so out of the thousands of players you name a goalie who was great and a head of his peers at an early age. When there is a need it could result in an 8th grader being brought up.

Jeff Cohen again an anomaly was at one time the leading goal scorer at Harvard. Your grasping at straws with these examples. These are true studs and went on to prove so. The programs with strong youth and feeders usually will not bring up an 8th grader. It would probably be a weaker struggling program that must do this.

what is your major malfunction numb nuts? I am not making a case for or against 8th graders playing varsity, I was replying to a post that said

Oh yea? Name one quality HS program who bought up an 8th grader who actually produced

Syosset has a history of bringing up 8th graders and they are clearly a quality program - the 8th graders bought up in the past have played at Harvard, Duke, UNC as well as a current UVA and two current Hopkins players. so this is not "grasping at straws" it was a direct answer to a direct question asking to name "one" quality program,

Bringing up an 8th grader may also me about what the coach thinks is best for the player while maybe not being a huge contributor to the varsity team in his 8th grade season but becoming a better player by playing against bigger strong better players and being coached by better teacher/coaches then they would get in middle school or JV. If it was my kid I would rather he score 5 goals on varsity then 25 on JV or 50 in middle school but getting better. Games do not mean anything unless the score is in Newsday and you improve in practice not in games.....IMHO

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its probably easier playing up on offense than defense. What barometer makes a player a major contributor. Points Minutes. A post above stated he would be happy if his kid scored 5 goals on varsity rather than 25-50 on JV/MS. I agree i also think there are seniors/Juniors that wished they scored 5 goals.

I love the fact the poster also said it may be in the bets interest for the player and I also took it as the best for the program in the future.

I figure within a 16 game season if you have 16 points, you are a contributor. Figure you may not score each game but should find a way to get involved most of the time. I also figure if an 8th grader on a "weak" team can put up 16 points against the competition who make up the stronger and weaker teams I bet they could put up more when playing on a "strong" team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what is your major malfunction numb nuts? I am not making a case for or against 8th graders playing varsity, I was replying to a post that said

Oh yea? Name one quality HS program who bought up an 8th grader who actually produced

Syosset has a history of bringing up 8th graders and they are clearly a quality program - the 8th graders bought up in the past have played at Harvard, Duke, UNC as well as a current UVA and two current Hopkins players. so this is not "grasping at straws" it was a direct answer to a direct question asking to name "one" quality program,

Bringing up an 8th grader may also me about what the coach thinks is best for the player while maybe not being a huge contributor to the varsity team in his 8th grade season but becoming a better player by playing against bigger strong better players and being coached by better teacher/coaches then they would get in middle school or JV. If it was my kid I would rather he score 5 goals on varsity then 25 on JV or 50 in middle school but getting better. Games do not mean anything unless the score is in Newsday and you improve in practice not in games.....IMHO

Lot of these schools will bring up the 8th grader so they do not leave next year for private school!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
garden city...james Sullivan was on varsity as FOGO as 8th grader. is that a quality enough program for you ?

You picked the wrong day to bring him up! Still a great player, but also an example of be careful of what you wish for. The media can be a real [lacrosse] to these kids. JZ and Justin T got it right with Holy Grail!

I think we are all just sipping from the cup til it (Runs out not) runith over

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lot of these schools will bring up the 8th grader so they do not leave next year for private school!!

That's actually a legitimate point. It has more relevance with the Nassau schools than it does with the Suffolk programs, but it is a very valid argument. It is also why they will bring up 8th graders and not 7th graders.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boom! That just happened

Babylon had a 7th grade girl who was All-County and Suffolk County Rookie of the year last year. Big producer on her team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ridiculous notion! What parent would reconsider that decision because their 8th grader got pulled up to varsity?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boom! That just happened

Babylon had a 7th grade girl who was All-County and Suffolk County Rookie of the year last year. Big producer on her team.

Good one

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ridiculous notion! What parent would reconsider that decision because their 8th grader got pulled up to varsity?

Conversely, our district has a reputation for NOT moving up 8th graders who are headed to private high school in 9th grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry but 99% of 7th grade girls have no business playing varsity. I don't care how talented they are, they just don't have the physical development to hang with girls who are 3-5 years older. Is this story true, probably but I would also bet this thread was started by some jealous parent. Did these 7th graders earn their spot, doubtful, did someone cut a deal or call in a favor, most likely. Will they benefit from practicing with varsity players, most definitely. Will they be impact players doubtful even if the schools program is so weak.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The notion a person would reconsider staying at a public school if they weren't pulled up or the HS would not pull a player up due to its pending decision to go to a catholic school has no bearing. There is usually more to the story those two excuses are just convenient.

If you go to a Catholic school you are starting from the bottom Freshman/JV and working your way up. You know it and embrace it. If you have a skill the varsity team can use why would a coach not utilize it while they could.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
in addition, a 7th grade girl traveling on a bus with 17/18 year old girls, regardless of what kind of kids they are, is prob not the healthiest thing in the world

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boom! That just happened

Good one

Rookie yes, producer yes, All County no. Please get your facts right before posting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boom! That just happened

Good one

Rookie yes, producer yes, All County no. Please get your facts right before posting.

Not exactly correct either , All county no, all division no, all rookie team not suffolk rookie of the year, producer - more of a contributor

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BOTC, can we please have a separate site for Boys & Girls?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just hope any team that is fortunate to pull up a 7/8/9 grader to varsity, that the player is celebrated regardless if a Contributor or a Producer. There will always be nah sayers, but in the end I am sure the boy or girl can play and will learn a ton whether they make mistakes just like the Jr's and Sr's or not.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just hope any team that is fortunate to pull up a 7/8/9 grader to varsity, that the player is celebrated regardless if a Contributor or a Producer. There will always be nah sayers, but in the end I am sure the boy or girl can play and will learn a ton whether they make mistakes just like the Jr's and Sr's or not.

Can speak to this as a couple of 8th graders were pulled up in big district in Suffolk county. Girls were not major contributors, saw no growth between their 8th and 9th grade years and in fact went from good amount of playing time in 8th to little time in 9th. Girls should never had been brought up, huge mistake and bad coaching decision! Could not compete on the skill level or physically with girls ahead of them. Unless they are a phenom, leave them down.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can speak to this as a couple of 8th graders were pulled up in big district in Suffolk county. Girls were not major contributors, saw no growth between their 8th and 9th grade years and in fact went from good amount of playing time in 8th to little time in 9th. Girls should never had been brought up, huge mistake and bad coaching decision! Could not compete on the skill level or physically with girls ahead of them. Unless they are a phenom, leave them down.

Yes, wait your turn, stop trying to prove something you're not ready for. You will have your time. Let the girls who are experienced do their thing!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any other schools begging 9th grade athletes to play lacrosse for the first time so they can fill out HS teams?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What district is this ?2

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any other schools begging 9th grade athletes to play lacrosse for the first time so they can fill out HS teams?

My daughters school has about 75-80 trying out from grades 9-12 for Jv & V

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The poster who said it wasn't healthy for a 7th grader to be on the bus with seniors is correct. The mental maturity level isn't there yet. The program in question isn't weak. They won the Suffolk B championship a couple of years ago and are always in the mix. Physically these girls are ready to contribute. One in particular is very skilled and quite fast. I do question the decision to expose such young girls to the social aspects of HS at such a young age. If I was the parents I would intimate that to the coach and say see you next year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughters school has about 75-80 trying out from grades 9-12 for Jv & V

I guess your town grew up passing the ball around. That's great!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The poster who said it wasn't healthy for a 7th grader to be on the bus with seniors is correct. The mental maturity level isn't there yet. The program in question isn't weak. They won the Suffolk B championship a couple of years ago and are always in the mix. Physically these girls are ready to contribute. One in particular is very skilled and quite fast. I do question the decision to expose such young girls to the social aspects of HS at such a young age. If I was the parents I would intimate that to the coach and say see you next year.

I have been around this for almost 20 years and can tell you I have never seen or heard of a middle school parent say no to being moved up to a HS team, I have never seen or heard of a freshman declining an invitation to varsity team, I do think that in many cases it would be the smart thing to do but I have never seen it and I doubt it would happen very often

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you will of course hear parents say that they did in fact say no....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think there are other aspects to consider. The other players on the team (with the exception of maybe one, a sibling) are absolutely against the decision. Bring these girls up is already ruining the morale of the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have been around this for almost 20 years and can tell you I have never seen or heard of a middle school parent say no to being moved up to a HS team, I have never seen or heard of a freshman declining an invitation to varsity team, I do think that in many cases it would be the smart thing to do but I have never seen it and I doubt it would happen very often

I have knowledge of a 7th grader turning down such an opportunity. So don't say it doesn't happen.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have knowledge of a 7th grader turning down such an opportunity. So don't say it doesn't happen.

jeez, everybody is so confrontational on this site, the post said "I have never seen it and I doubt it would happen very often" and your reply is "So don't say it doesn't happen", clearly I didn't say it never happens and I do not doubt you know someone who turned it down. Did this person also turned down AP classes so they could wallow in mediocrity of regular classes? I know people that have done that so don't say it doesn't happen

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can there be another thread started, called "ridiculous parents-girls lacrosse." Because this entire conversation under "high school lax" is lame and booooooorrrrrriiiiinnnnngggggg!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can there be another thread started, called "ridiculous parents-girls lacrosse." Because this entire conversation under "high school lax" is lame and booooooorrrrrriiiiinnnnngggggg!

I believe if you log in you can start a thread about anything you want, I would like to start a thread about threads that someone else should start because I am too lazy to start one myself

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry but 99% of 7th grade girls have no business playing varsity. I don't care how talented they are, they just don't have the physical development to hang with girls who are 3-5 years older. Is this story true, probably but I would also bet this thread was started by some jealous parent. Did these 7th graders earn their spot, doubtful, did someone cut a deal or call in a favor, most likely. Will they benefit from practicing with varsity players, most definitely. Will they be impact players doubtful even if the schools program is so weak.

You are 100% correct that 99% of 7th graders do not have any business playing varsity. Let's do the math. There are 125 school districts in Nassau and Suffolk. Lets say 10 kids from each 7th grade play lacrosse, that gives you 1250 7th graders playing lax this year. Lets say 5 get brought up to varsity. That is .4% That means you were actually a little low. You should have said that 99.6% of 7th graders have no business playing varsity.

Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard