BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22
Re: High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
High achievers are to be commended no doubt, but please remind your high achiever that their crap stinks like everyone elses and lacrosse like the workplace is a team game. Selfish me first people is not who you want to surround yourself with at work or on the field. High achievers should have people following them as they lead by example but nobody likes or follows a me first attitude, sorry

Well, you definitely have it wrong again. My son ,although a high achiever is also very humble. Loves to hear people speak highly of him, but never brags and gets angry if any family members talk about how good he is. He, as well as many other top players I know, are fantastic leaders, but they also need to be educated as to who the competition is, and how to maintain their position in the pecking order and not become complacent. And as for the 10,000 hours, that was surpassed years ago!

If your kid practices 3 hours per day, 333 days a year(takes of every other Sunday) it adds up to 1000 hours in a year. They do this from age ten to age twenty they get to the outliers majic number of 10,000 hours. That is a ridiculous amount for anyone except much older professionals. Unless you son is now at the later stages of a college career the 10,000 hours surpassed long ago doesn't sound likely.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
High achievers are to be commended no doubt, but please remind your high achiever that their crap stinks like everyone elses and lacrosse like the workplace is a team game. Selfish me first people is not who you want to surround yourself with at work or on the field. High achievers should have people following them as they lead by example but nobody likes or follows a me first attitude, sorry

Well, you definitely have it wrong again. My son ,although a high achiever is also very humble. Loves to hear people speak highly of him, but never brags and gets angry if any family members talk about how good he is. He, as well as many other top players I know, are fantastic leaders, but they also need to be educated as to who the competition is, and how to maintain their position in the pecking order and not become complacent. And as for the 10,000 hours, that was surpassed years ago!

If your kid practices 3 hours per day, 333 days a year(takes of every other Sunday) it adds up to 1000 hours in a year. They do this from age ten to age twenty they get to the outliers majic number of 10,000 hours. That is a ridiculous amount for anyone except much older professionals. Unless you son is now at the later stages of a college career the 10,000 hours surpassed long ago doesn't sound likely.

Yep that's about right, put in a solid 5 today while others playing in snow!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like my dad used to tell me there is a start
To perfection, but never an end...as no one is perfect.

He would say practice like your number 2 and you might some day be number one. Be humble...but be confident. There is a fine line to this...sometimes we are way to critical Of kids that have a little "edge" to them....sometimes viewed as cocky....personally I like the kids that have that confidence...but not a jerk...

Thoughts on this

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like my dad used to tell me there is a start
To perfection, but never an end...as no one is perfect.

He would say practice like your number 2 and you might some day be number one. Be humble...but be confident. There is a fine line to this...sometimes we are way to critical Of kids that have a little "edge" to them....sometimes viewed as cocky....personally I like the kids that have that confidence...but not a jerk...

Thoughts on this

Must agree! There is a lot of competition at the top. There will be good days and bad days. When my son has a bad day he doesn't cry and blame, he goes back to work. These kids learn to be humble and respect each other. This is good!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are no "tryouts" for Varsity, the coaches have already identified which underclass athletes they are bringing up and notified them so they can work out with the team through the winter.

There are tryouts for Varsity at my kids school. And all players 9-12 that want to tryout have been at the weekly practices since the fall and continue until tryouts.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yep that's about right, put in a solid 5 today while others playing in snow!

Liar, liar pants on fire! This pile of BS is bigger than the pile of snow in front of the house.

And if by some miracle this was even half true, you should be a parent and let the kid build a snow fort.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are no "tryouts" for Varsity, the coaches have already identified which underclass athletes they are bringing up and notified them so they can work out with the team through the winter.

There are tryouts for Varsity at my kids school. And all players 9-12 that want to tryout have been at the weekly practices since the fall and continue until tryouts.

I think there are tryouts at all schools. Whether you know it or not. The underclassmen and even MS are showing up to those winter workouts to display what they have and if they mesh with the upperclassmen.

I guess you will find out if there are tryouts when your son or daughter make JV or varsity. And if you are a MS player you will know by the 3rd or 5th day not sure which is it if you made a HS team or will head back down to MS.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MS kid in my town need not apply.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why, is that because he/she (and not the Caitlyn Gender he/she) is to good where rules do not apply or because your program thinks they are so good MS wont help the program.

Year in and Year out 5+ MSers help their varsity teams and I for one look forward to seeing them progress while in high school. If you are so foolish to think that no MSer will help a program you are just fooling yourself.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How long do you go before you replace your
Gloves
Stick
Shoulder pads

I ask this because I have had to replace my sons King 5's twice already working on getting him his 3rd pair in a year. Loves the fit. Played heavily spring varsity season & the Summer/Fall season. I was hoping to get a least a year not just a season out of gloves.

Doesn't abuse the gloves when not playing and hangs them to dry after each play.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How long do you go before you replace your
Gloves
Stick
Shoulder pads

I ask this because I have had to replace my sons King 5's twice already working on getting him his 3rd pair in a year. Loves the fit. Played heavily spring varsity season & the Summer/Fall season. I was hoping to get a least a year not just a season out of gloves.

Doesn't abuse the gloves when not playing and hangs them to dry after each play.

Time to switch to King IV's

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why, is that because he/she (and not the Caitlyn Gender he/she) is to good where rules do not apply or because your program thinks they are so good MS wont help the program.

Year in and Year out 5+ MSers help their varsity teams and I for one look forward to seeing them progress while in high school. If you are so foolish to think that no MSer will help a program you are just fooling yourself.

You must either live in a very small district or be that stupid to think MS kids help a varsity team. Maybe with the water cooler. No way a 13/14 year old can physically compete with a 17/18 and soon to be even almost 19 yr olds. I know there have been a few who's Daddy's are big time guys and their kids do it but really.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You must either live in a very small district or be that stupid to think MS kids help a varsity team. Maybe with the water cooler. No way a 13/14 year old can physically compete with a 17/18 and soon to be even almost 19 yr olds. I know there have been a few who's Daddy's are big time guys and their kids do it but really.

Maybe you should do your homework and research the number of 8th graders that have helped their Varsity teams. They are out there. I come from a large district, not stupid so present your next argument.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe you should do your homework and research the number of 8th graders that have helped their Varsity teams. They are out there. I come from a large district, not stupid so present your next argument.

Oh yea? Name one quality HS program who bought up an 8th grader who actually produced. Don't think so, it is hard enough for an exceptionall freshman to do much!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh yea? Name one quality HS program who bought up an 8th grader who actually produced. Don't think so, it is hard enough for an exceptionall freshman to do much!

SWR a few years ago

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Smithtown East , West, Hills, Connetquot....now your argument will be not quality programs, next

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

SWR a few years ago

I did not see anyone say an 8th grader carried the team, but foolish statement to say they helped with the water cooler

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Smithtown East , West, Hills, Connetquot....now your argument will be not quality programs, next

They are quality programs, just not true! None of those programs brought up 8th graders that did anything significant, or even brand up 8th graders at all! We are talking boys lax here, correct? Because girls mature much younger and are more capable of producing at a younger age.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are an idiot Syosett had the kid as an 8th grader before he moved along to Chaminade. He now stars at UVA. Don't believe in mentioning names.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You sound like one of those guys that live by the mantra if you cant beat them join them. I like those that take on the challenge.

Why does it have to be with a quality program? Isnt it better to have the opportunity to play against the better programs. Some of these lesser programs play against some of the big boys.

A few unheralded kids did just that last year. They did not have a sur name that got them on the field. They took their lumps while making a mark every game they played.

That is why I love the sport. Doesn't have to be those marque programs to see the spirit of the game being played. Sorry if you missed it.

By the way out of the 100 or so HS teams on Long Island who do you think represent Li more, those 6 Marque teams each year or the 40 teams that make the playoffs in Nassau and Suffolk.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

You sound like one of those guys that live by the mantra if you cant beat them join them. I like those that take on the challenge.

Why does it have to be with a quality program? Isnt it better to have the opportunity to play against the better programs. Some of these lesser programs play against some of the big boys.

A few unheralded kids did just that last year. They did not have a sur name that got them on the field. They took their lumps while making a mark every game they played.

That is why I love the sport. Doesn't have to be those marque programs to see the spirit of the game being played. Sorry if you missed it.

By the way out of the 100 or so HS teams on Long Island who do you think represent Li more, those 6 Marque teams each year or the 40 teams that make the playoffs in Nassau and Suffolk.

Very rarely does a program with top talent and a good feeder program need to bring up an 8th grader to Varsity. I would say if a program was weak then they might need an 8th grader. Explain to me why would a program that has enough capable players need an 8th grader. If in the rare instance they are a freak of nature or should already be in 10th grade based on their age. Just the physicality of 12th graders playing versus an 8th grader is difficult to overcome.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a D1 varsity player and a top MS kid. It would be a blood bath if they played each other.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a D1 varsity player and a top MS kid. It would be a blood bath if they played each other.

Of course you do

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If
Of course you do

I do as well, it's the truth! Not even a discussion. I come from a strong program, have watched the program for many years and have never seen an 8th grader be able to o compete with the upper classman. Sorry for your "Superstar " eighth grader. Tell him to keep working hard and hopefully he will earn a starting spot in a couple years if he's lucky!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Someone please explain to me why you would want your son to be 3rd, 4th or 5th string on St Anthony's? Sold a bill of goods from The Express(having spent $25K from 3rd grade on and never cracking the A team)so you just went with it? Lacrosse on LI in 15-20 years is going to be very interesting. Will parents continue to chase the dream or return to some semblance of reality? We will see. By the way, I didn't mention Chaminade because at least they offer superior academics (but the same lacrosse question still applies). And for all of you that will tell me about all the college commits (that never touched the varsity field) merely for wearing the helmet, I ask what about the experience of your son actually playing meaningful games for their high school team? That doesn't matter anymore?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let's all remember, not all varsity players will play D1 and not all players are jr's and sr's.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Of course you do

I can think of 3 families that fit the bill. All would probably allow their MS to play.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game

Syosset - Dan Loftus started in goal and went on to be an AA at Duke - Jeff Cohen, not sure of totals but had over 25 goals in 8th grade on varsity went on to have big totals at Harvard - Ryan Lukacovic started as an 8th grader before going to Chaminade for the rest of HS scored a bunch including being leading scorer for Syosset in playoffs now Starting at Virginia.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boom! That just happened

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Syosset - Dan Loftus started in goal and went on to be an AA at Duke - Jeff Cohen, not sure of totals but had over 25 goals in 8th grade on varsity went on to have big totals at Harvard - Ryan Lukacovic started as an 8th grader before going to Chaminade for the rest of HS scored a bunch including being leading scorer for Syosset in playoffs now Starting at Virginia.

3 kids over what, the last 10 years? None currently playing in any good HS program, nor has been for years. You managed to name a couple, but it is still an unrealistic expectation and a rare occurrence.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

3 kids over what, the last 10 years? None currently playing in any good HS program, nor has been for years. You managed to name a couple, but it is still an unrealistic expectation and a rare occurrence.

Rare occurrence, yes but does happen. Let's suffice it to say no point will be acknowledged

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The request was to name one quality program that bought up an 8th grader that actually produced - asked and answered -

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
garden city...james Sullivan was on varsity as FOGO as 8th grader. is that a quality enough program for you ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The request was to name one quality program that bought up an 8th grader that actually produced - asked and answered -

Boom

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boom! That just happened

the conversation is about girls not boys

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boom! That just happened

And they're 7th grade girls, not 8th.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ESM girls state champion - 8th grader big part of teams championship run.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boom! That just happened

really? that is your comeback? - in all of the thread about about 8th graders it is gender neutral and the original post clearly says he/she

Year in and Year out 5+ MSers help their varsity teams and I for one look forward to seeing them progress while in high school. If you are so foolish to think that no MSer will help a program you are just fooling yourself. [/quote]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares about girls lacrosse? By the way, the parents of the boys are bad enough. You need to join the fray?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are we really talking about girls that "produce"? You can't even play defense in that dumb sport. Hey girls, let's play hockey, but you can't touch each other. Have fun. LOL

Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard