BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: 2020 girl commits to Syracuse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jealous parents is the reason this is an issue.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Jealous of what? Sad for her

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wake up people most early verbals are about the lacrosse and the parents, not the school or the child

This is why it might be sad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

the reason it's an issue is because this girl's parents publicized it. Get it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are hammering these parents, the school and kid for this release. Does any YJ parents actually know this family/parents from when played here? Maybe there is good reason this was released? I looked back and there was a lengthy discussion on this before on this site. Don't forget he coaches a team of 2018 which are actively being recruited now and going on non official visits which if you know anything about recruiting the coach sets up for the players- or set ups the first contact. Are we all stupid enough to think college coaches calling this father weren't also asking about his daughter? Maybe they was forced to come clean on this or flat out lie to college coaches and jeopardize the program's ethics and integrity, as well as the 2018 chances with a college......again the facts might show there was other things going on.

This is why I ask if people know these parents up here who played with YJ. Were they not nice, or had big egos...

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why do you care?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why do you care?

Because it feeds into the mania which is making youth sports a business, which is sad.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have met the parents thru YJ parents and they are very nice people. That said the kid lives in Florida but played on a team out of Long Island because that team was and is considered probably the best team in the age group, so yes they have big egos. Most parents on that team have big egos. Kid was top 10 player on that team ,probably not top 5 .Her dream was to go to Cuse, so good for her, and the reason the commit was announced probably more about ego than anything but that is the reason all these things are announced.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is exactly the situation. I know the parents and the girl. Very nice people and a great kid. As the coach of their 2018 travel team being contacted by college coaches about his players he had to be honest about his daughter and her situation. This was not an ego play at all. This family would have preferred not to have shared this news publicly. It actually took months for the news to get out. Sorry folks your claims and attacks are once again very unfounded.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why do you care?

Because it feeds into the mania which is making youth sports a business, which is sad.

OK, fair point. But, we do not know (at least I) do not know that the parents were actively making this "public".

I think the driving force behind the madness known as youth sports (especially lacrosse on Long Island) are the parents of "average" athletes. Many times their first dose of reality comes when the recruiting starts. Not all of the players on the best Club or HS team are "Top Players / Recruits". When parents see the top players being recruited by the top academic and lacrosse schools in the country and their child is not being recruited they don't understand. Over the years I have witnessed jealousy and bitterness rear its ugly many times. Altering the rules regarding recruiting will not end the animosity directed toward the top players and their parents.

The Top Programs in the country are the ones doing most of the early recruiting. They Identify and go after (recruit) the best players. It will not change, the players who are recognized by college coaches to have the most potential will be offered spots and scholarships before all the others. To carry on about one 8th grade girl is insane. Even 9th grade, how many will be offered spots? I would bet less than 50. Yet this has caused such a stir. Really, sad for the girl because she has committed to Syracuse. Get a grip and give it a rest, it's a good school. Most parents have a pretty good Idea what type of student their child is. Most can help guide them during the process.

Here are the Top 8 Teams from 2015:

Maryland
North Carolina
Syracuse
Duke
Northwestern
Penn State
Princeton
Loyola

Do you think that most parents can not counsel their child during the recruiting process.

Here are the remaining top 20:

Boston College
Virginia
Stony Brook
Florida
Penn
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Stanford
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Albany
JMU

The top 20 - 30 players will be recruited early by just about all of the top programs. They will be offered spots and they will be offered the most athletic money from those programs.

If a player is recruited early by the majority of the best programs in the country I am pretty sure that most parents will help their child find the right fit.

Worry about your own kid.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you actually have a clue when it comes to the recruiting process? Do you think the Northwestern Coach is going to come to New [lacrosse] during her lacrosse season and scout prospects at an actual high school game? Or have her assistants do this in the heat of their season? Not a shot bone head.

The business of youth sports has perpetuated by the needs of how to get a child in front of a college coach. Period. Travel clubs evolved out of this need because events such as the IWLCA Showcase events(outside of college seasons) allow club teams the access to play in front of college coaches. These college coaches can come for one weekend and watch over 500 travel teams around the nation play against each other. If you think that your daughter is really that good and you think a college coach will come after her without her going to any such showcase events or college camps that will PUT HER IN FRONT OF THE COACHES you ARE delusional. College coaches want to see game speed and field development and they want to see them at their camps so they have the ability to work with them and see if they are coachable, skilled and also make sure the parents are not psycho like 90 percent of the posters on here.

Has the club circuit got out of hand? probably but it has evolved from the top down.

Before you open your mouth ...open a book. That goes for the majority of these idiots that have instigated this post. Good luck to this family and lacrosse player! Celebrate the talent because this is exceptional and I wish her the best of luck!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why do you care?

OK, fair point. But, we do not know (at least I) do not know that the parents were actively making this "public".

I think the driving force behind the madness known as youth sports (especially lacrosse on Long Island) are the parents of "average" athletes. Many times their first dose of reality comes when the recruiting starts. Not all of the players on the best Club or HS team are "Top Players / Recruits". When parents see the top players being recruited by the top academic and lacrosse schools in the country and their child is not being recruited they don't understand. Over the years I have witnessed jealousy and bitterness rear its ugly many times. Altering the rules regarding recruiting will not end the animosity directed toward the top players and their parents.

The Top Programs in the country are the ones doing most of the early recruiting. They Identify and go after (recruit) the best players. It will not change, the players who are recognized by college coaches to have the most potential will be offered spots and scholarships before all the others. To carry on about one 8th grade girl is insane. Even 9th grade, how many will be offered spots? I would bet less than 50. Yet this has caused such a stir. Really, sad for the girl because she has committed to Syracuse. Get a grip and give it a rest, it's a good school. Most parents have a pretty good Idea what type of student their child is. Most can help guide them during the process.

Maryland
North Carolina
Syracuse
Duke
Northwestern
Penn State
Princeton
Loyola

Do you think that most parents can not counsel their child during the recruiting process.

Boston College
Virginia
Stony Brook
Florida
Penn
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Stanford
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Albany
JMU

The top 20 - 30 players will be recruited early by just about all of the top programs. They will be offered spots and they will be offered the most athletic money from those programs.

If a player is recruited early by the majority of the best programs in the country I am pretty sure that most parents will help their child find the right fit.

Different question. How many of the 51 Syracuse girls would you guess get athletic money?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is exactly the situation. I know the parents and the girl. Very nice people and a great kid. As the coach of their 2018 travel team being contacted by college coaches about his players he had to be honest about his daughter and her situation. This was not an ego play at all. This family would have preferred not to have shared this news publicly. It actually took months for the news to get out. Sorry folks your claims and attacks are once again very unfounded.

Please ,get over yourself.First his daughters situation is none of the other college coaches business unless he makes it their business.Second, lets not pretend that so many college coaches were so anxious to find out the status of a descent 2020 player.Third its comments like yours that get people to write things that may not seem so kind.Please explain how other college coaches not knowing the status of this 2020 negatively impacts other kids on the team. Stop making up excuses and just say they are proud of their daughters commitment , have a bit of an ego, like the idea that she is the first 2020 commit ,wanted to shout it from the rooftops but now may regret it a little due to the backlash.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please ,get over yourself.First his daughters situation is none of the other college coaches business unless he makes it their business.Second, lets not pretend that so many college coaches were so anxious to find out the status of a descent 2020 player.Third its comments like yours that get people to write things that may not seem so kind.Please explain how other college coaches not knowing the status of this 2020 negatively impacts other kids on the team. Stop making up excuses and just say they are proud of their daughters commitment , have a bit of an ego, like the idea that she is the first 2020 commit ,wanted to shout it from the rooftops but now may regret it a little due to the backlash.

Is it true a 13 year old committed to a university? My kid hasn't even picked her high school classes yet

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why do you care?

Maryland
North Carolina
Syracuse
Duke
Northwestern
Penn State
Princeton
Loyola

Boston College
Virginia
Stony Brook
Florida
Penn
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Stanford
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Albany
JMU

Different question. How many of the 51 Syracuse girls would you guess get athletic money?

-- NCAA Division I men's Lacrosse teams have an average roster size of 45 players but only a maximum of 12.6 scholarships to award per team. This means that the average award covers less than 30% of a typical athlete's annual college costs. Lacrosse is an equivalency sport for NCAA limits, so partial scholarships can be awarded (up to 30 per team in NCAA I) as long as the combined equivalent awards do not exceed the limit. For example, an NCAA Division I school can award 24 women lacrosse players each a 1/2 scholarship and still meet the limit of 12 per team. For more information see our page on --

It appears that a maximum of 30 players can be on athletic scholarship.

The top recruits (#1 & #2 for the class) get a lot more money than the others. Some athletes get need based aid and some get merit scholarship some combine athletic and merit (they do not combine need and athletic) some kids pay full tuition.

A player who is not offered a spot at a top program may still get a large scholarship / financial package from a less competitive program. I very strong student will get significant merit based money from a less competitive academic school.

Every situation is different and everyone can find a good fit. However, the one constant is that the top programs will recruit the top talent as early as possible. The coaches at the top programs drive the process.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my kid hasn't even picked her HS yet!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the bottom 20 girls at SU don't get any money? Really at a top 5 program?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its called walk on

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not only do they not get money but they also don't always travel with the team. Fact!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If she were that good a player nobody would be as surprised as they are and everyone on long island would know her. there are several other kids in the age group that are better known and wouldn't have surprised anyone by committing so early. that's the crux of the story, pun intended!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If she were that good a player nobody would be as surprised as they are and everyone on long island would know her. there are several other kids in the age group that are better known and wouldn't have surprised anyone by committing so early. that's the crux of the story, pun intended!

Believe me this kid is not the only 2020 that has been "approached" by a college. She's just the only one that has ended up on BOTC. Some parents keep their mouths shut about the things that are happening, wisely so I may add!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the post on this girl being not good enough and nobody even knew her is extremely funny based on the fact that her parents supposedly have HUGE egos...a little contrary to the statement that no one knew her, except of course some major college coaches.( let's not forget she did make the toughest team in the country to make in 2020 bracket). Also my daughter has played against this YJ team that she used to be on. They are so good that I would almost guarantee every kid goes to a top D1 program...they are that good.

With that said are you saying that if this kid was from here in LI and was known to YOU it would be ok? No big ego parents? Maybe you should Check your ego....I think the many post about people being jealous was just verified...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seriously all going to D1 . Not unless F&F has a college

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the post on this girl being not good enough and nobody even knew her is extremely funny based on the fact that her parents supposedly have HUGE egos...a little contrary to the statement that no one knew her, except of course some major college coaches.( let's not forget she did make the toughest team in the country to make in 2020 bracket). Also my daughter has played against this YJ team that she used to be on. They are so good that I would almost guarantee every kid goes to a top D1 program...they are that good.

With that said are you saying that if this kid was from here in LI and was known to YOU it would be ok? No big ego parents? Maybe you should Check your ego....I think the many post about people being jealous was just verified...

sounds like you play on this YJ team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not only do they not get money but they also don't always travel with the team. Fact!

HMMMM, I don't see that publicized on the travel commitment websites. My director told me everyone gets a free ride lolololol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Huh? That makes ZERO sense. Why did he have to tell Newspapers about it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why do you care?

Maryland
North Carolina
Syracuse
Duke
Northwestern
Penn State
Princeton
Loyola

Boston College
Virginia
Stony Brook
Florida
Penn
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Stanford
Johns Hopkins
Louisville
Albany
JMU

You understand that the top players just a few short years ago were not committing until junior year or later, right? No one is arguing (at least not me) that these girls don't deserve to be the first recruited. And I have been through this process before and I coach, and agree with you that many parents are unrealistic and there is plenty of toxicity on sidelines etc. The fact remains that there is no reason to have girls this young being committed to colleges. It isn't just one, it is systematic and it's a shame.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter plays with The Florida 2018 team that this girl is on. Let's make sure we have it straight. It was a post on the teams facebook page that was picked up by a news agency. (to be honest up until this piont the teams Facebook page had very little visitors -sadly)-LOL)The parents didn't call the newspaper or any other source. The girls on the team knew this already. What made it public is non official visit players telling other recruits at schools when they were visiting. In addition to having to tell college coaches she was committed-contrary to other post you can't lie to college coaches or any other person in life when asked a question-not very ethical. Sometimes it is better to control information than to let it leak out with inaccurate information.

Time to move on....a week of this junk is enough.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When my current college sophomore committed in February of her junior year, she was roughly number 450 or so listed on an online database. There are currently 230 sophomores listed on that same database as committed. Yes, things have sped up significantly in a very short amount of time. For my older daughter, we were astounded when someone on her club team committed in fall of her sophomore year to a top school, as she was the first that we had heard of.
You are correct, there is no reason. But you have to play the game the college coaches play, and if they are recruiting early, you need to go along with it or they will move along to the next "great" girl. It needs to stop at THAT level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter plays with The Florida 2018 team that this girl is on. Let's make sure we have it straight. It was a post on the teams facebook page that was picked up by a news agency. (to be honest up until this piont the teams Facebook page had very little visitors -sadly)-LOL)The parents didn't call the newspaper or any other source. The girls on the team knew this already. What made it public is non official visit players telling other recruits at schools when they were visiting. In addition to having to tell college coaches she was committed-contrary to other post you can't lie to college coaches or any other person in life when asked a question-not very ethical. Sometimes it is better to control information than to let it leak out with inaccurate information.

gotcha. so the quote in the paper was made up. It is not time to move on from this subject. This exact subject is what is ruining kids sports. And yes it is driven by the very coaches who are basically saying save us from ourselves. But it is the children that are in the crosshairs. And no one cares about your children more than you, the parents. So stop the nonsense and take back control. The very parents that have the control are the ones with the most talented players. They actually can demand to wait. If the very top players said, no we're going to wait, the whole process would slow down. Coaches would wait to keep money available and things could start inching back the other way. So yes, it is an important subject to challenge these great players and their families to be a part of the solution, not the problem. They are the only ones other than the coaches that actually have control over the process.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, I do understand that just a few short years ago kids were not committing until junior year or later. However, I also understand that it is the college coaches who have become more aggressive in their recruiting efforts. Actions speak louder than words. All the coaches have to to is stop.

Please do not tell me that you do not see the jealousy, bitterness, animosity and ignorance on display as a major issue. Read what is written on this site, listen to what is said on the sidelines and in your community. It is sickening and saddening at the same time. At every turn the jealous parents try to diminish the accomplishments of any player other than their own. In their next breath the parent will spin. embellish and lie about their own daughters situation. Do not believe for a second that they (jealous parents) want the recruiting rules changed for the good of society. They want it changed because they think pushing it back will help their child. Reality is that it will only prolong their delusion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seriously all going to D1 . Not unless F&F has a college

Half the kids on that yj team don't see the field in a close games, the bench is shortened to 2-3 players tops

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Finally a great post on recruiting. The NCAA needs to create a "speed limit" on this...don't blame parents, coaches and players. They all are playing by th rules in a potential high dollar business for families that do not have tons of money.

Once rules in place it will be cleaned up...but the next 6 months before rule goes into place on 9/1 it could be a mad race to the finish and to verbally comitt...time will tell.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

gotcha. so the quote in the paper was made up. It is not time to move on from this subject. This exact subject is what is ruining kids sports. And yes it is driven by the very coaches who are basically saying save us from ourselves. But it is the children that are in the crosshairs. And no one cares about your children more than you, the parents. So stop the nonsense and take back control. The very parents that have the control are the ones with the most talented players. They actually can demand to wait. If the very top players said, no we're going to wait, the whole process would slow down. Coaches would wait to keep money available and things could start inching back the other way. So yes, it is an important subject to challenge these great players and their families to be a part of the solution, not the problem. They are the only ones other than the coaches that actually have control over the process.

Let me make sure that I understand what you are saying.

If a girl is offered admission and or a large scholarship to a school that the girl and her parents think is an all around great fit they should tell the coach no thanks I am going to wait. Is that what you are suggesting?

Tell Maryland, North Carolina, Syracuse, Northwestern, Penn State, Penn, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, USC, Boston College, Virginia, Georgetown etc... No thanks. Through in Duke and Notre Dame, Cornell, Darthmouth, Michigan etc.. they are months, not years behind the others. Yeah, that sounds like good advise.

Every player and family are in a unique situation and most parents have the ability to help guide their child. The best players will have their choice of the best schools. There is no "perfect" time to commit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How to make your kid hate sports without really trying!!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/21/health/kids-youth-sports-parents/index.html

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]My daughter plays with The Florida 2018 team that this girl is on. Let's make sure we have it straight. It was a post on the teams facebook page that was picked up by a news agency. (to be honest up until this piont the teams Facebook page had very little visitors -sadly)-LOL)The parents didn't call the newspaper or any other source. The girls on the team knew this already. What made it public is non official visit players telling other recruits at schools when they were visiting. In addition to having to tell college coaches she was committed-contrary to other post you can't lie to college coaches or any other person in life when asked a question-not very ethical. Sometimes it is better to control information than to let it leak out with inaccurate information.

Let me make sure that I understand what you are saying.

If a girl is offered admission and or a large scholarship to a school that the girl and her parents think is an all around great fit they should tell the coach no thanks I am going to wait. Is that what you are suggesting?

Tell Maryland, North Carolina, Syracuse, Northwestern, Penn State, Penn, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, USC, Boston College, Virginia, Georgetown etc... No thanks. Through in Duke and Notre Dame, Cornell, Darthmouth, Michigan etc.. they are months, not years behind the others. Yeah, that sounds like good advise.

Every player and family are in a unique situation and most parents have the ability to help guide their child. The best players will have their choice of the best schools. There is no "perfect" time to commit.

you got it! the best 20 players in the country is control. The money will still be there. In fact the schools will wait until they r ready before they go to the next tier. Yup, you the parent of that top 20 kid is actually in control.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The recruiting process is killing the game except for those who are getting recruited. Girls have stopped passing the ball in 4th and 5th grade because they are gearing up to sign in 8th grade. Its great for the few kids that sign but sucks for their teams and everyone else who still wants to play. this is an undeniable fact

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The recruiting process is killing the game except for those who are getting recruited. Girls have stopped passing the ball in 4th and 5th grade because they are gearing up to sign in 8th grade. Its great for the few kids that sign but sucks for their teams and everyone else who still wants to play. this is an undeniable fact

Totally agree. I grew up playing basketball at a first rate high school with great coaches. I instilled in my daughter a pass first mentality, move the ball and go to the cage without the ball and it will find you eventually - don't try to run through people - especially if it's more than one. Was I wrong! High school is now an afterthought and the kids and their families rely more on the club coaches than their school coaches.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is really just an exaggeration and ridiculous. Yes, there are issues with early recruiting and the IWCLA is working to resolve them hopefully via the NCAA. However, to say 4th and 5th grade girls are gearing up to get recruited and don;t pass as a result? Do you have 4th and 5th graders? Are they really focused on getting recruited right now? Mine aren't. Thye love to play but care more about their friends and watching Child Genious rather than college recruiting. Now by 8th grade, I agree it becomes more of a focus/issue for the girls, but not 4th and 5th grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is really just an exaggeration and ridiculous. Yes, there are issues with early recruiting and the IWCLA is working to resolve them hopefully via the NCAA. However, to say 4th and 5th grade girls are gearing up to get recruited and don;t pass as a result? Do you have 4th and 5th graders? Are they really focused on getting recruited right now? Mine aren't. Thye love to play but care more about their friends and watching Child Genious rather than college recruiting. Now by 8th grade, I agree it becomes more of a focus/issue for the girls, but not 4th and 5th grade.

my 5th grader already has her top 5 picked. as long as her academics and lax continue on the path they are on, she's got a great shot. Goals and hard work are important is what I preach to her.

Like Reply Quote
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard