BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22
Re: High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
We have D1 juniors fighting for playing time.

Impossible..... What school ?

Completely accurate on the girls side at 2-3 nassau county schools

Suffolk too - not always because the team is that good. More like the fact that just about anybody can give a verbal, doesn't mean they are one of the best players. Commits who barely see the field at mediocre programs.

Sounds to me like someone is jealous. "Just about anybody can give a verbal", really? I don't think that you have any idea how the recruiting process works. I will say that not all kids that are committed to play in college are equal. College programs are not equal either. There is a big difference between a top 10 - 20 D1 program and a middle of the road D1 program or any DII or DIII program (there are some very good players everywhere but they are the exception).

Try calling a top 20 coach and saying "hey, my daughter wants to commit. I heard that you will commit just about anybody". Let us know how that goes.

The top programs recruit the top players. That is how they stay at the top.
After the top players commit the top programs look to fill their slots with the next tier of player and on and on it goes.

The next tier programs do not lock up many of the top recruits, especially early. For example, Villanova, George Washiton, Binghamton, Quinnipiac, Lafayette etc... do not compete with North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Northwestern, Duke, Syracuse etc... for the "Top Recruits".

If you would like to know where your daughter stands ask yourself the following questions:

In relation to others from around the country in the same grad year, When Did She Start Getting Recruited?

What schools "identified her and actively pursued and recruited her"? (what schools made offers)

When was an offer made, what was the offer and what caliber school made the offer?

Big difference between a kid who is recruited early and offered significant package by top 10 teams and a kid recruited by a mid tier program later in the process. There is eve a big difference in the top recruit at Maryland and the girl given the last spot in the same recruiting class.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Suffolk too - not always because the team is that good. More like the fact that just about anybody can give a verbal, doesn't mean they are one of the best players. Commits who barely see the field at mediocre programs.

Sounds to me like someone is jealous. "Just about anybody can give a verbal", really? I don't think that you have any idea how the recruiting process works. I will say that not all kids that are committed to play in college are equal. College programs are not equal either. There is a big difference between a top 10 - 20 D1 program and a middle of the road D1 program or any DII or DIII program (there are some very good players everywhere but they are the exception).

Try calling a top 20 coach and saying "hey, my daughter wants to commit. I heard that you will commit just about anybody". Let us know how that goes.

After the top players commit the top programs look to fill their slots with the next tier of player and on and on it goes.

The next tier programs do not lock up many of the top recruits, especially early. For example, Villanova, George Washiton, Binghamton, Quinnipiac, Lafayette etc... do not compete with North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Northwestern, Duke, Syracuse etc... for the "Top Recruits".

If you would like to know where your daughter stands ask yourself the following questions:

In relation to others from around the country in the same grad year, When Did She Start Getting Recruited?

What schools "identified her and actively pursued and recruited her"? (what schools made offers)

When was an offer made, what was the offer and what caliber school made the offer?

Big difference between a kid who is recruited early and offered significant package by top 10 teams and a kid recruited by a mid tier program later in the process. There is eve a big difference in the top recruit at Maryland and the girl given the last spot in the same recruiting class.

Relax early recruit dad. The comment was in response to "D1 juniors" - nobody said anything about top programs or top players. That's the whole point - and you helped to support the argument - that not all D1 recruits are created equal.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It also matters what HS program you play for. There are D1 recruits at high to mid level programs at some schools who won't see much time until junior year. There are other D1 recruits to the same colleges who play for different HS, where lax isn't king, and those girls are starters from 8th grade and the star of the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's wrong with going to quinnipiac Lafayette? You people are so hung up on having your kid on one of the top program rosters. You need to look at the big picture. What do they want and how much playing time will she get. My daughter wants Drexal because of their culinary program. I don't give a rats [lacrosse] about top lacrosse schools. She needs to be happy. But I forgot most people living through their kid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's wrong with going to quinnipiac Lafayette? You people are so hung up on having your kid on one of the top program rosters. You need to look at the big picture. What do they want and how much playing time will she get. My daughter wants Drexal because of their culinary program. I don't give a rats [lacrosse] about top lacrosse schools. She needs to be happy. But I forgot most people living through their kid.

You miss the point. Nothing wrong with Drexel or any other school. I was only pointing out how somone was painting with a very broad brush. Making the comment that "anyone can give a verbal" implying that it is not indicative of the caliber of the player. I have one is not a big recruit, still trying to figure it all out but I am not worry about the studs. Good for the top players. Just can't stand listening to the bashing of the strong players and the early recruits. Most of the nonsense on here and on the sidelines is from jealous parents trying to trash others. I watch and I see who the strong players are good for them.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
should an athlete take a DII significant offer over a DI low offer? Undecided major, wants the NYC location, first time away from home. Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
should an athlete take a DII significant offer over a DI low offer? Undecided major, wants the NYC location, first time away from home. Thanks

I think the right answer is to find the right school for your son or daughter rather than selecting a school based on lacrosse. Recognizing however that, if a school is offering substantial money, that is an important factor for many families and should clearly be a consideration.

Unfortunately, there are not many lacrosse programs in NYC itself: Manhattan and St. John's on the men's side and I think Manhattan plus Columbia on the women's side. In the NYC area there are many more options though.

With regard to major, I think most of us had no clue what our major would be when we were in college; maybe we knew that we were business, STEM, or liberal arts, but, very few knew precisely what our major would be. So I think it really comes down to academic fit, campus environment fit, location fit, size of class fit. The last, though not unimportant factor, should be lacrosse; not unimportant because this is the coach and group of people that your kid will establish their initial friendships in college and can influence your child's love or hate of the experience.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know you don't want to mention schools, but is there a big difference in academic reputation? If the money isn't make or break financially for you, I would go with the better academic school. Possible to name schools? From my point of view in the business world, many of the D2 schools don't hold up academically unless there is a specific program (nursing for example) where the school has a good reputation. Assume D1 school is not Columbia since they offer no academic money (and don't have a boy's program). I don't think D1 vs. D2 is the right dimension to think about this. I think it's which education can open more doors for your child in the future along with all the usual fit questions.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
only catholic school with that rule is Chammy. dom's , st Mary's , etc. all have freshman play

And St. A too.

And kellenberg

Just to clarify - St. A and Kellenberg do not allow freshmen?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know you don't want to mention schools, but is there a big difference in academic reputation? If the money isn't make or break financially for you, I would go with the better academic school. Possible to name schools? From my point of view in the business world, many of the D2 schools don't hold up academically unless there is a specific program (nursing for example) where the school has a good reputation. Assume D1 school is not Columbia since they offer no academic money (and don't have a boy's program). I don't think D1 vs. D2 is the right dimension to think about this. I think it's which education can open more doors for your child in the future along with all the usual fit questions.

Heis not interested in a career but which lacrosse school would afford him a better opportunity to be a summer club coach.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for your responses. Here is some more info: Adelphi/Mercy/Pace/Molloy have offered significant money and Pace/Mercy have new programs as well as fields and dorms. Coaches have been outstanding, and education based on students who attended are very good. Hofstra did not offer much but is DI, although the area looked scary and the coach was just ok. As far as education it seems ok, appears to be declining in recent years. Also dorms were very outdated. No interest in summer coaching, internship in NYC already lined up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for your responses. Here is some more info: Adelphi/Mercy/Pace/Molloy have offered significant money and Pace/Mercy have new programs as well as fields and dorms. Coaches have been outstanding, and education based on students who attended are very good. Hofstra did not offer much but is DI, although the area looked scary and the coach was just ok. As far as education it seems ok, appears to be declining in recent years. Also dorms were very outdated. No interest in summer coaching, internship in NYC already lined up.

Hofstra is definitely the most expensive but has the highest entry requirements. Then its Adelphi, Molloy, Pace and in last by a high margin is Mercy. It sounds like lacrosse might be swaying you to the 2 weakest schools.

Adelphi is always in the hunt for the D2 national championship while Hofstra is a top 50 D1 program. It really depends on what your kid wants academically, financially and athletically.

I am guessing your son could go to Molloy and Mercy for almost free, Adelphi and Pace would be in the middle and D1 Hofstra would still be the most expensive. If its not Hofstra I would go Adelphi, Molloy, Pace and then Mercy. Lacrosse level and acadmics line up in the same sequence.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hofstra is definitely the most expensive but has the highest entry requirements. Then its Adelphi, Molloy, Pace and in last by a high margin is Mercy. It sounds like lacrosse might be swaying you to the 2 weakest schools.

Adelphi is always in the hunt for the D2 national championship while Hofstra is a top 50 D1 program. It really depends on what your kid wants academically, financially and athletically.

I am guessing your son could go to Molloy and Mercy for almost free, Adelphi and Pace would be in the middle and D1 Hofstra would still be the most expensive. If its not Hofstra I would go Adelphi, Molloy, Pace and then Mercy. Lacrosse level and acadmics line up in the same sequence.

I think that advice has a LI slant to it. I think Pace is an excellent choice in this scenario. They have excellent business programs and connections in Westchester and NYC. They also have a vast amount of majors (Hofstra has more). I believe Pace graduation salaries are high than the LI's for one. Admittance might be slightly harder in the LI schools but end game is salary when you graduate

Pace Adelphi Hofstra Mercy (Molloy depends what you want)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think that advice has a LI slant to it. I think Pace is an excellent choice in this scenario. They have excellent business programs and connections in Westchester and NYC. They also have a vast amount of majors (Hofstra has more). I believe Pace graduation salaries are high than the LI's for one. Admittance might be slightly harder in the LI schools but end game is salary when you graduate

Pace is a big business school but they let in kids starting with a 900 sat score. If your kid wants business in NYC area there are a ton of better academic choices. Sounds like the only reason they are being considered is because of lacrosse and in most cases if you are picking based on a sport its the wrong choice unless its an elite program. We have lived it....good luck!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pace is a big business school but they let in kids starting with a 900 sat score. If your kid wants business in NYC area there are a ton of better academic choices. Sounds like the only reason they are being considered is because of lacrosse and in most cases if you are picking based on a sport its the wrong choice unless its an elite program. We have lived it....good luck!!

Hate to break it to you, but you can get into Michigan with 2.7 and 900 on SAT as recruited Lax player. Much lower for Football and BBall.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hate to break it to you, but you can get into Michigan with 2.7 and 900 on SAT as recruited Lax player. Much lower for Football and BBall.

Huge difference. A stupid kid can get into a great college if they are athletically gifted (just watch final 4 press conferences). A regular student needs a 1300 for Michigan. But why in the world would a gifted athlete want to go to a school beneath them like Pace?

Athletics should get the athlete into a stretch school in a perfect world

High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any projections on how massapequa will do this year?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They will be down, Syosset should easily win county

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes Pequa only has Tierney.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They will be down, Syosset should easily win county

Smithtown East Vs West Islip

Syosset Vs Massapequa

Syosset Vs Smithtown East

Smithtown East

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Huge difference. A stupid kid can get into a great college if they are athletically gifted (just watch final 4 press conferences). A regular student needs a 1300 for Michigan. But why in the world would a gifted athlete want to go to a school beneath them like Pace?

Athletics should get the athlete into a stretch school in a perfect world

Actually, that's incredibly flawed thinking. You are really doing a kid a disservice by putting them in a situation where failure is nearly inevitable in a number of ways. Putting a student in an academic situation they are "stretching" to compete in, is never going to yield a positive result. Add a 30+ hr a week job into the mix (LAX) and that kid's in trouble. Further, the kid that stretches to get into MI, will never get into the Ross school of Business, you need to apply once admitted a year or two later. There's no way that kid will have the 3.9-4.0 needed. No special treatment for athletes. He will come out with a degree in Sociology or Poly Sci. Not very marketable, even with a Blue M on the degree. However, the Pace kid that comes out with Degree in Accounting will have a job before he Graduates. Accounting program has 100% placement. Bolstered by the huge non-athlete Alumni base in the NY area. Good Luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that is a well thought out and articulated post. compare to the previous a- hole who calls kids stupid if they have not too stellar grades. who the [lacrosse] are you to judge?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why would anyone want to attend the 25th best national university in the country in Ann arbor with some of the best athletics across all sports vs going to Pace at #192 and getting in a minivan from downtown Manhatten to travel to Westchester to play. Although Pace is connected in NYC I'm pretty sure a Michigan graduate gets the same job

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why would anyone want to attend the 25th best national university in the country in Ann arbor with some of the best athletics across all sports vs going to Pace at #192 and getting in a minivan from downtown Manhatten to travel to Westchester to play. Although Pace is connected in NYC I'm pretty sure a Michigan graduate gets the same job

Guess you didn't realize the campus on Westchester is pretty nice and not a bad college town during the year. Why are you so down on Pace?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are actually headed back after visiting the schools. I know this may not be the popular answer and although no decision has been made Mercy is at the top of the list. The business program is amazing, and the vibe of this new school was very energetic. Gorgeous campus and beautiful safe town, train takes you from campus to grand central station. Pace was very nice as well and second choice at this point. As a parent I of course like the safest place and I see real potential in the school. 2 more schools to see in Jersey. Thanks for the interesting opinions, greatly appreciated

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are actually headed back after visiting the schools. I know this may not be the popular answer and although no decision has been made Mercy is at the top of the list. The business program is amazing, and the vibe of this new school was very energetic. Gorgeous campus and beautiful safe town, train takes you from campus to grand central station. Pace was very nice as well and second choice at this point. As a parent I of course like the safest place and I see real potential in the school. 2 more schools to see in Jersey. Thanks for the interesting opinions, greatly appreciated

I happen to like Mercy. They have grown so much. Have had friends who went there and are doing better then some who went to top schools (not a back handed statement) you get that anywhere; You get out what you put in. Does have nice views of the river, I am sure they/you will like it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your kid is really serious about business drop lacrosse and try to get him into Fordham.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's one thing to be "let into" MIchigan, it's entirely another to get out! That has to be earned in the classroom. The average kid non-athlete getting into that school has a 95-98 GPA and 2000+ sats.... If your kid is substantially below that, he will not survive academically.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's one thing to be "let into" MIchigan, it's entirely another to get out! That has to be earned in the classroom. The average kid non-athlete getting into that school has a 95-98 GPA and 2000+ sats.... If your kid is substantially below that, he will not survive academically.

Not true ... I have a son who was a 80-85 high school student w 1800s. He went to a top 25 school and is doing just fine. There is a lot of support at these schools, and it is a lot harder getting in to these places than staying there. Not to mention that some kids mature academically later in terms of effort, time management etc. Certainly something to think about, but it is nowhere near as extreme as your post implies.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true ... I have a son who was a 80-85 high school student w 1800s. He went to a top 25 school and is doing just fine. There is a lot of support at these schools, and it is a lot harder getting in to these places than staying there. Not to mention that some kids mature academically later in terms of effort, time management etc. Certainly something to think about, but it is nowhere near as extreme as your post implies.
Finally some sanity. I cant believe some nice schools like Mercy, Molloy and Pace are being compared to some of the top schools in the country. The other post was right look to Columbia, Fordham and Baruch if you wanta business school in the city

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Finally some sanity. I cant believe some nice schools like Mercy, Molloy and Pace are being compared to some of the top schools in the country. The other post was right look to Columbia, Fordham and Baruch if you wanta business school in the city

Would you rather graduate with a business degree from Fordham or choose business at Mercy in order to play lax? To me those options are not even close.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would rather kill myself, then read this topic anymore.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

tsk tsk

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Poor chouce of words.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sure he is...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sure he is...

Everyone can thump their chests about how great these local schools are but in reality they are C+/B academic schools that people are pumping up so they feel good about going there to play lacrosse. It might be the perfect fit for some but don't try to make into what its not. There is a place for everyone to play.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry, I hope no one took me serious?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think a previous poster said it best, getting into a top academic school in ADDITION to keeping up with a 30+ hour a week athletic commitment is not something every student is capable of. Having been through the process with one of my own, I encourage looking at the last 3 years of student athlete graduation rate (the "newer" programs regardless of what division can be a great find) also look at retention of returning players. I did not see any chest thumping lol, but rather interesting, intelligent discussion about exploring all options. Job placement and internships are also huge-unless the student wants to spend summers as a lifeguard or lacrosse coach. Some of the D2 schools mentioned have excellent connections in the business arena.

Bottom line, students should take the time to visit schools, do overnights. Parents- allow your student to lead the way and use their instinct. THEY are the ones going to college, your job is to support and encourage them. There will always be the jealous nay sayer ("it's a low D1" or "it's not a good academic school") they are often the parents who shipped their kid around and did not get an offer, or got an offer and the kid will be back home with an excuse within a year.

Good luck to everyone, let's continue to support the sport and our student athletes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did Sayville ever fill the Varsity coaching vacancy? That was one heck of a cluster and dominated this board for two months. Rocky Point guy, just wondering who we'll be facing this year. Thanks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did Sayville ever fill the Varsity coaching vacancy? That was one heck of a cluster and dominated this board for two months. Rocky Point guy, just wondering who we'll be facing this year. Thanks.

I think it said more than a few pages back that they promoted the assistant that the year before they were trying to get rid of because of budget cuts. Ironic that the coach who fought to keep the assistant gets replaced by the same. Thats politics for ya.

Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard