BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 23 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 22 23
Re: Girls 2019-9th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So here's a legit question and not asking anyone to name clubs or do any club bashing but looking for feedback from people who have left a club and felt they made the right decision. Our daughter is a few years younger but looking for feedback from folks with a few more years under their belt. It would also help if you state why you left and if you found it someplace else. Would also like to hear if anyone regretted or returned to their former club.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So here's a legit question and not asking anyone to name clubs or do any club bashing but looking for feedback from people who have left a club and felt they made the right decision. Our daughter is a few years younger but looking for feedback from folks with a few more years under their belt. It would also help if you state why you left and if you found it someplace else. Would also like to hear if anyone regretted or returned to their former club.

Not sure how this info will help you without naming names. Just wondering if the grass is greener? As I'm sure you realize, every situation is different.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I'll bite. My daughter played for a club for two years, when she was a rising 6th and a rising 7th grader. The first year was okay. The second year we had a new coach and even that was okay.

What changed was the entire roster except for my daughter. Okay, maybe three girls stayed. The rest were grandfathered in from another club and that was problem number one.

Problem number two was the atmosphere of the team. The grandfathered-in girls and their parents were chummy, and my daughter, practically the only original member of the team was suddenly an outsider, as was I. No one would pass her the ball, I'd try to chat with the parents and they'd respond politely but never innate any conversation. They included us in nothing, and how frigging awkward when you take your daughter to a local attraction and there's the team enjoying themselves. It was a clique and we were not in it.

The final straw was a complete lack of communication from the club directors and their apparent disinterest in the girls' side of the program. I touched base with parents from the first year and we moved on and had zero regrets.

What you need to look for as you shop around is partly the club specifics, how much, how far, what's included, which tournaments. But also very important is the age level and the team you expect her to play with. Are there girls your daughter knows? Do you know the parents? How well would the fit be?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

I'll bite. My daughter played for a club for two years, when she was a rising 6th and a rising 7th grader. The first year was okay. The second year we had a new coach and even that was okay.

What changed was the entire roster except for my daughter. Okay, maybe three girls stayed. The rest were grandfathered in from another club and that was problem number one.

Problem number two was the atmosphere of the team. The grandfathered-in girls and their parents were chummy, and my daughter, practically the only original member of the team was suddenly an outsider, as was I. No one would pass her the ball, I'd try to chat with the parents and they'd respond politely but never innate any conversation. They included us in nothing, and how frigging awkward when you take your daughter to a local attraction and there's the team enjoying themselves. It was a clique and we were not in it.

The final straw was a complete lack of communication from the club directors and their apparent disinterest in the girls' side of the program. I touched base with parents from the first year and we moved on and had zero regrets.

What you need to look for as you shop around is partly the club specifics, how much, how far, what's included, which tournaments. But also very important is the age level and the team you expect her to play with. Are there girls your daughter knows? Do you know the parents? How well would the fit be?

To the previous poster, yes I think it's more about is the grass greener someplace else.

I do get the clique thing for sure especially when you see a very close group of girls and parents all from the same town. I'm less worried about me but what my daughter to have a great experience. I appreciate the candid response.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why can't lacrosse play by age-based divisions? What is it about this sport compared to others? It seems so simple and obvious to run things by age. I guess the rich folk like to buy their kids everything, including an expensive extra year of middle school so little Buffy can "compete" better. Pathetic.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I regret being on team elevate I could not recommend this team in good conscience

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The most important consideration is finding a team for your duaghter where she can develop best as a lacrosse player. If she would be a starter on one team and the last sub in on another - choose starter. If team A has "stud" players but a lousy coach and team B has weaker players but a great coach - choose B. Find a team that practices together as often as possible - practice is just as important as play. Those are my opinions, so take them with a grain of salt.

NO team/club/coach/parent group is perfect, so you will always be weighing pros and cons rather than having a clear cut choice.

That being said, my daughter is entering her 5th season on the same LI team and she couldn't be happier. Many of her former teammates have moved on to other teams and they appear to be content as well. Some left to get more playing time, others left to play a different position and still others chose a new team because it was closer to home. All legitimate reasons.

At the end of the day, you will be spending a lot of money and a lot of time on travel lacrosse - make sure your daughter is enjoying herself and getting better as a player every year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I regret being on team elevate I could not recommend this team in good conscience

Why are you so disappointed with Elevate? Did you just move there from another team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Couldn't have said it better myself. I think that too often parents are more concerned about their own image i.e. my daughter plays on such and such team, rather than what's actually in the best interest of their child.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Couldn't have said it better myself. I think that too often parents are more concerned about their own image i.e. my daughter plays on such and such team, rather than what's actually in the best interest of their child.

Ok but let's say kid gets dropped to second team form club A but club B will gladly take her on their top team. Isn't it better to be on the top team regardless of club? Aren't the top teams given the most attention by club directors and usually have the best coaching?
All too often I see such a dramatic drop off from 1st to 2nd team.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'd leave the choice up to your daughter. If playing time doesn't matter to her and she's ok with minimal minutes, A team is the ticket. If she wants to play and improve, go with the B team. There will be a drop off in talent from top to bottom, but college coaches have said if a child has ability they will find them. Most clubs play their A and B teams in the same anyway. I know girls who have great skills that languish on the bench of an A team as the coach plays his/her horses almost the entire game in an attempt to win the tourney. Despite a drop in their confidence and happiness, they have opted to stay as it's important to them (or perhaps their parents) from a prestige level. There are many factors to weigh...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why are you so disappointed with Elevate? Did you just move there from another team?

Went to an Elevate clinic the other week. Had like 7 age groups combined. One woman coaching who seemed like she couldn't be less interested in being there. You know of any clubs taking girls this late? Need to get out before the summer!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Went to an Elevate clinic the other week. Had like 7 age groups combined. One woman coaching who seemed like she couldn't be less interested in being there. You know of any clubs taking girls this late? Need to get out before the summer!

Unfortunately, if you have a pulse and the funds to cover the fee you are in. Better if you have someone on the A team to vouche for you and you are guarantee spot on top team site unseen. All with the promise to beat YJ this season.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfortunately, if you have a pulse and the funds to cover the fee you are in. Better if you have someone on the A team to vouche for you and you are guarantee spot on top team site unseen. All with the promise to beat YJ this season.

NO top Elevate team is beating a top YJ team in ANY age group. I think the top YJ team is comparable to the 3rd YJ team in each age group. Would you agree?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NO top Elevate team is beating a top YJ team in ANY age group. I think the top YJ team is comparable to the 3rd YJ team in each age group. Would you agree?

I think there's usually a ringleader in every age group trying to persuade disgruntled players to come aboard with visions of grandjuor. Club directors will make promises of playing time, allowing players to dictate positions and some will be happy others probably not. What most people fail to realize is these ringleaders of your so called friends are usually offered something in return for getting players in the form of "scholarships" or reduced club fees. Think about it why else would they be recruiting so hard? The unfortunate thing is for the ones that leave and end up unhappy, going back is not always an option.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]I regret being on team elevate I could not recommend this team in good conscience

I think there's usually a ringleader in every age group trying to persuade disgruntled players to come aboard with visions of grandjuor. Club directors will make promises of playing time, allowing players to dictate positions and some will be happy others probably not. What most people fail to realize is these ringleaders of your so called friends are usually offered something in return for getting players in the form of "scholarships" or reduced club fees. Think about it why else would they be recruiting so hard? The unfortunate thing is for the ones that leave and end up unhappy, going back is not always an option.

Are you referring to the ringleaders at Elevate? We have one of those parents in my town? They are also the parent coaches at Elevate. Most non-parent coaches have left Elevate so that is all that is left.... parent coaches. I think most parents in the town are growing tired of Elevate and I think this persons association with Elevate is starting to damage their reputation within our town lax program as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is absolute BS. Just flat out untrue. Happy New Year keep stirring the crap.

We are very happy and our daughter loves the team and all the opportunities she has gotten. Sad that you need to come on here and make stuff up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I regret being on team elevate I could not recommend this team in good conscience

Went to an Elevate clinic the other week. Had like 7 age groups combined. One woman coaching who seemed like she couldn't be less interested in being there. You know of any clubs taking girls this late? Need to get out before the summer! [/quote

This is absolute BS. Just flat out untrue. Happy New Year keep stirring the crap.

We are very happy and our daughter loves the team and all the opportunities she has gotten. Sad that you need to come on here and make stuff up.

So says one of the local ringleaders! Once you set the hook keep reeling in!! How many girls did you convince to come over?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Could you expand on the opportunities your daughter was given? Are you a 2019?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only competitive team Elevate has ever had is their 2017 team and they were never really a top team. Every year they claim to have the next best Elevate team only to be B-C level at best. If you are not looking for a highly competitive team then maybe they are the club for you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Elevate 2016Blue team was excellent … a lot of the girls going on to play lacrosse in college.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Elevate 2016Blue team was excellent … a lot of the girls going on to play lacrosse in college.

Excellent is a bit of a stretch

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thxs Dave.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They had some very good players but were by no means an excellent team, had they ever won a competitive tournament .I know when they played YJ top team it was not competitive at all. To say that team was excellent just shows Elevate has never had a top team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares about top team here top team there. Is your daughter happy? People who come on here and chest pump are usually the ones who never played and are living through their kids. My daughter has been with Elevate for 2 yrs now and I wouldn't change a thing. Folks there's a bigger picture out there then everyone fighting about who's team is the best.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm happy your daughter is happy with elevate but it probably won't last with Dave running the show

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's funny I keep on hearing about how bad this guy is. Sorry I don't see it. He is hands on with these girls and is always around. Can't say that about other club directors. And not for nothing he does alot for the girls on recruiting side of it. The right tournaments for your daughter to be seen. We aren't at that age yet but soon.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so let me ask you something..if you keep on hearing about how bad a guy he is, maybe, just maybe, there is a hint of truth to it?..cant be ALL bad folks posting..Have you looked into his past business dealings?...may open some eyes...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No I haven't. And that's none of my business about his past. As long as he is doing the right thing now that's all that matters. And keeps on doing right for the girls.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares about top team here top team there. Is your daughter happy? People who come on here and chest pump are usually the ones who never played and are living through their kids. My daughter has been with Elevate for 2 yrs now and I wouldn't change a thing. Folks there's a bigger picture out there then everyone fighting about who's team is the best.

Can I ask for some examples of why your so happy? Many people post how great and happy they are but never offer any specifics.
Did you start with this club or move from another and have something to compare it to?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so let me ask you something..if you keep on hearing about how bad a guy he is, maybe, just maybe, there is a hint of truth to it?..cant be ALL bad folks posting..Have you looked into his past business dealings?...may open some eyes...

What kind of "dealings"?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Happy cause daughter loves her teammates and is enjoying herself. Meeting girls from many different towns and building many friendships. Yes and I like when Dave is there at clinics coaching the girls. My daughter plays better when he is around. He knows how to motivate them. Is that good enough for you?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excellent advice on recruiting from former Tewaaraton winner, Katie Chrest Erbe - and not just for lacrosse:

So you want to play lacrosse in college? Well, I’m sure you’re already familiar with most of the fundamentals of recruiting: join a club team, attend camps of the schools you’re interested in, compile an academic and athletic resume, email college coaches and keep them abreast on where you’ll be playing and when. These are all important parts of the recruiting process, but I wanted to bring attention to a few other, less talked about aspects that are actually a huge deal.

First, it’s extremely important to honestly assess which schools and which level of lacrosse is the best fit for you or your daughter. Maryland, UNC, Northwestern bring in about 8-12 girls per year. So while lacrosse is certainly a sport with tons of opportunity, the sport has gotten much more competitive and the spots at those top schools and programs are more limited than ever. Those programs are looking for the cream of the crop, a chosen few. There are an incredible number of opportunities out there beyond the top 20 Division I schools. Now that I’m in the Midwest, I’ve begun to realize how many Division II and III programs exist that are dying for players. Keep in mind that, for the most part, lacrosse ends after college, so the education piece of your experience truly is the most important. Don’t get caught up in the hoopla of where everyone else is going. Do what’s best for you.

Second, student athletes MUST lead their own recruiting process. There are a few things that cause sirens and alarms to go off for a college coach and turn them off to a kid, and a parent who is working harder than their child to get recruited makes that short list. Once a student-athlete arrives on campus, a multitude of responsibilities are heaped onto their lap. Being a good student, attending study hall hours, turning in assignments on time, managing time wisely, showing up to practice on time with all the correct gear and equipment, being socially responsible, hosting recruits… the list goes on and on. Much of the recruiting process for a coach is feeling out a student-athlete to see if they are capable of shouldering these responsibilities. If a recruit isn’t the one taking initiative in their recruiting process, it’s going to be hard for the coach to believe she will have the life skills and wherewithal to be a reliable member of their team. The student-athlete will be the one attending school, dealing with the coach, etc. once she gets to school, so she needs to be the one doing the work in her recruiting process.

Going back to the sirens and alarms and red flags… this brings me to my next point: making good decisions off the field. Whether it’s at a tournament between games, on your weekends with friends, on a recruiting trip or on Twitter, social responsibility is absolutely essential. We are in a day and age where a 140-character post to social media by a teenager can cost a grown adult their entire career and livelihood. Many coaches have spent decades working their way into the job in which they now hold. This is why many coaches are incredibly cautious about recruits whose decisions surrounding their social lives and their social media usage appear risky. Coaches are finding more and more that taking a risk with a player whose social media is questionable just isn’t worth it. Be smart, think before you post, and if you wouldn’t hold the picture up in a personal meeting with the coach (or your parent for that matter) then don’t post it!

Next, ACADEMICS, ACADEMICS, ACADEMICS! I’m talking to all you freshmen out there! With how competitive things are getting across the board with college acceptance, admission standards are higher than ever and are continuing to stiffen even more. Sometimes coaches have some wiggle room, but more and more college admissions offices are demanding that athletes make the cut prior to stepping foot on campus. In many cases a "C" on a report card, even if it’s from your freshman year, is a big no-no. On top of stricter standards, recruiting is occurring much sooner these days so your freshmen transcripts may be what coaches are depending on when they’re deciding if you can hack it academically at their school. Good grades often signify maturity, responsibility, hard work and attention to detail — all qualities that coaches are looking for in their student-athletes.

Last of all, here's a little analogy that may help as you try to understand and navigate this process. I’ve often said that recruiting is a bit like dating. There are times when either party (college coach or student-athlete) really put themselves out there. There are times when you’re really feeling the love and times when you’re getting all kinds of weird signals… or no signals at all. Here are a couple things to keep in mind. First, recruiting is just one job on the list of a coach’s many responsibilities. Yes, it’s a big part of their job, but they’re also trying to manage 30 players, develop talent, build a solid lacrosse program, scout other teams, watch film, fundraise and keep on top of academics. It’s a HUGE job. With that said, it’s important to understand that almost no college coaches are responding to every email they receive. They receive hundreds and hundreds of emails — especially during tournament months. Also, they are most likely spending the majority of their recruiting time on the recruits they are very interested in. So, if you aren’t getting anything back, it might be time to move on and take a look at another school. If you’re set on that particular school, it may be helpful to ask your club coach to contact the coach to see if they’re interested. If they are not, you have two options: move on to another school or apply and try to get in on your own and ask if they will take walk-ons.

As you can see there is a lot more to getting recruited than playing on a good club team, scoring goals, making saves and getting ground balls. Make sure you’re taking care of life outside of lacrosse; it’s as important as your on-field value. And, remember to read the signals as this can save you a lot of time and confusion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ugh. Have read so many of these posts about Dave, specifically, and feel like I need to respond. My daughter is in her 2nd year at Elevate. She is not 2019 -- in fact, she is much younger (2024). While everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, I can only say that Dave has changed the way that my daughter feels about lax. At practice, he encourages the girls, he motivates the girls, he has fun with the girls, he supports the girls. When my daughter does something well, he is there with a high five. When she makes a mistake, he says that it is great because it means that she is pushing herself to try new things. It is always positive and motivating. The girls all play better when he is there, and my daughter works harder at home (backyard) so that she can show him how much she has learned. Dave shows up to the younger kids' tournaments, he shows up to their practices, he is fully "in" when he doesn't have to be at a field for his older teams. And, these are not grades with his daughters, they are not recruiting age girls, they are little girls who are new to lax! He loves lax & he loves coaching these girls - it is evident every time I watch him. At the end-of year gala last year, when he was presenting the scholarship for a player, he couldn't get through his speech without tearing up. And the girls who spoke at the end -- the girls who were not coming back due to their graduation year, spoke of Elevate being their second family. I have no idea why so many people are concerned about Dave and his past, but if you're not part of Elevate then leave it alone. We, who are part of the team, are here for a very specific reason. My daughter will probably not play lax in college. That's OK. But she loves her team, she loves her coaches and she is very proud to say that she is part of this club.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excellent advice on recruiting from former Tewaaraton winner, Katie Chrest Erbe - and not just for lacrosse:

So you want to play lacrosse in college? Well, I’m sure you’re already familiar with most of the fundamentals of recruiting: join a club team, attend camps of the schools you’re interested in, compile an academic and athletic resume, email college coaches and keep them abreast on where you’ll be playing and when. These are all important parts of the recruiting process, but I wanted to bring attention to a few other, less talked about aspects that are actually a huge deal.

First, it’s extremely important to honestly assess which schools and which level of lacrosse is the best fit for you or your daughter. Maryland, UNC, Northwestern bring in about 8-12 girls per year. So while lacrosse is certainly a sport with tons of opportunity, the sport has gotten much more competitive and the spots at those top schools and programs are more limited than ever. Those programs are looking for the cream of the crop, a chosen few. There are an incredible number of opportunities out there beyond the top 20 Division I schools. Now that I’m in the Midwest, I’ve begun to realize how many Division II and III programs exist that are dying for players. Keep in mind that, for the most part, lacrosse ends after college, so the education piece of your experience truly is the most important. Don’t get caught up in the hoopla of where everyone else is going. Do what’s best for you.

Second, student athletes MUST lead their own recruiting process. There are a few things that cause sirens and alarms to go off for a college coach and turn them off to a kid, and a parent who is working harder than their child to get recruited makes that short list. Once a student-athlete arrives on campus, a multitude of responsibilities are heaped onto their lap. Being a good student, attending study hall hours, turning in assignments on time, managing time wisely, showing up to practice on time with all the correct gear and equipment, being socially responsible, hosting recruits… the list goes on and on. Much of the recruiting process for a coach is feeling out a student-athlete to see if they are capable of shouldering these responsibilities. If a recruit isn’t the one taking initiative in their recruiting process, it’s going to be hard for the coach to believe she will have the life skills and wherewithal to be a reliable member of their team. The student-athlete will be the one attending school, dealing with the coach, etc. once she gets to school, so she needs to be the one doing the work in her recruiting process.

Going back to the sirens and alarms and red flags… this brings me to my next point: making good decisions off the field. Whether it’s at a tournament between games, on your weekends with friends, on a recruiting trip or on Twitter, social responsibility is absolutely essential. We are in a day and age where a 140-character post to social media by a teenager can cost a grown adult their entire career and livelihood. Many coaches have spent decades working their way into the job in which they now hold. This is why many coaches are incredibly cautious about recruits whose decisions surrounding their social lives and their social media usage appear risky. Coaches are finding more and more that taking a risk with a player whose social media is questionable just isn’t worth it. Be smart, think before you post, and if you wouldn’t hold the picture up in a personal meeting with the coach (or your parent for that matter) then don’t post it!

Next, ACADEMICS, ACADEMICS, ACADEMICS! I’m talking to all you freshmen out there! With how competitive things are getting across the board with college acceptance, admission standards are higher than ever and are continuing to stiffen even more. Sometimes coaches have some wiggle room, but more and more college admissions offices are demanding that athletes make the cut prior to stepping foot on campus. In many cases a "C" on a report card, even if it’s from your freshman year, is a big no-no. On top of stricter standards, recruiting is occurring much sooner these days so your freshmen transcripts may be what coaches are depending on when they’re deciding if you can hack it academically at their school. Good grades often signify maturity, responsibility, hard work and attention to detail — all qualities that coaches are looking for in their student-athletes.

Last of all, here's a little analogy that may help as you try to understand and navigate this process. I’ve often said that recruiting is a bit like dating. There are times when either party (college coach or student-athlete) really put themselves out there. There are times when you’re really feeling the love and times when you’re getting all kinds of weird signals… or no signals at all. Here are a couple things to keep in mind. First, recruiting is just one job on the list of a coach’s many responsibilities. Yes, it’s a big part of their job, but they’re also trying to manage 30 players, develop talent, build a solid lacrosse program, scout other teams, watch film, fundraise and keep on top of academics. It’s a HUGE job. With that said, it’s important to understand that almost no college coaches are responding to every email they receive. They receive hundreds and hundreds of emails — especially during tournament months. Also, they are most likely spending the majority of their recruiting time on the recruits they are very interested in. So, if you aren’t getting anything back, it might be time to move on and take a look at another school. If you’re set on that particular school, it may be helpful to ask your club coach to contact the coach to see if they’re interested. If they are not, you have two options: move on to another school or apply and try to get in on your own and ask if they will take walk-ons.

As you can see there is a lot more to getting recruited than playing on a good club team, scoring goals, making saves and getting ground balls. Make sure you’re taking care of life outside of lacrosse; it’s as important as your on-field value. And, remember to read the signals as this can save you a lot of time and confusion.

Great post

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^^Bingo!!
Copied, pasted and sent to my already commited daughter, because it doesnt end with the NLI

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone go to that thing in PA last weekend? If you did - how was it? Did a lot of coaches show up?
Or should we just hold on to our money.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone go to that thing in PA last weekend? If you did - how was it? Did a lot of coaches show up?

Hold on to your money if what you are asking is: Is it worth it from a recruiting point of view?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hold on to your money if what you are asking is: Is it worth it from a recruiting point of view?

Yes, I'm wondering if it's worth it. And also wondering if we made a mistake. My daughter applied and was invited then changed her mind because her two BFF's have parents who are a little quicker on the up-take than I am and opted out. We therefore opted out. I was wondering if it was the right decision. From what I have heard so far - it was not impressive and did not meet the hype. Is that true? I don't think we will need to attend one of these next year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, I'm wondering if it's worth it. And also wondering if we made a mistake. My daughter applied and was invited then changed her mind because her two BFF's have parents who are a little quicker on the up-take than I am and opted out. We therefore opted out. I was wondering if it was the right decision. From what I have heard so far - it was not impressive and did not meet the hype. Is that true? I don't think we will need to attend one of these next year.

These things are a waste, generally speaking, from a recruiting point of view. I strongly believe, having had one kid go through the lax recruiting process recently and others through regular college searches, that the best way to do this is find a handful of schools that you think fit your daughter academically, socially and from a lax point of view. Do it just like you would with a non athlete. Put together a list of stretch, match and safety schools. It's a little more complicated in that one school might be a stretch for lax, but a match academically, as well as the other way around. So I would find a few in each category and start focusing in on those schools. Attend as many on campus clinics/camps as geographically and financially feasible. If you have crafted the list well, several of those situations will pay off. No money towards these other "recruiting camps" unless you have it to burn and you think your daughter will just "enjoy the experience".

The other point I would highlight is to try to get someone with influence (club coach, high school coach, former player) to help place your daughter in a top group at the college camp. If it is one of the bigger ones, there are definitely two tiers. One is for the "real" recruits, and the rest is for making money. If your daughter isn't in the group with the coaches from the target school, it probably also is a waste of time.

My 2 cents.

Page 8 of 23 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard