BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
Re: High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2019's have some really good goalies

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not a safe school . More important than lacrosse.

Every school has their issues, sex drugs violence, some more than others.

Agree people need to embrace diversity. Bay Shore HS churns out great athletes AND academic kids. Do some research

I agree! Too bad everyones looking for greener grass. There is something to be said about town pride. Too bad Bay Shore is lacking there!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There are many reasons why parents send their kid to private school. Over the years players from Wantagh, South Side, Massapequa, Syosset, Smithown, Ward melville, Garden City, Manhasset, Huntington, Cold Spring Harbor etc... have all opted to attend private school.

Every year the BS program loses students to the Catholic HS, Nothing new. The district also houses a big catholic school following which naturally funnels players to the catholic HS. Others find the value of a catholic environment and education for the secondary years. Then you have those which throw their hands up by the time they leave the MS.

In relation to Lacrosse it is very unfortunate the district loses (or never had) the top players in each grade. I am not sure this will change in the future. The impact of this affects the numbers and quality of depth. This is evident in their roster size they carry one of the smallest squads on LI. They are definitely one of the schools impacted by the catholic exodus.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There are many reasons why parents send their kid to private school. Over the years players from Wantagh, South Side, Massapequa, Syosset, Smithown, Ward melville, Garden City, Manhasset, Huntington, Cold Spring Harbor etc... have all opted to attend private school.

Every year the BS program loses students to the Catholic HS, Nothing new. The district also houses a big catholic school following which naturally funnels players to the catholic HS. Others find the value of a catholic environment and education for the secondary years. Then you have those which throw their hands up by the time they leave the MS.

In relation to Lacrosse it is very unfortunate the district loses (or never had) the top players in each grade. I am not sure this will change in the future. The impact of this affects the numbers and quality of depth. This is evident in their roster size they carry one of the smallest squads on LI. They are definitely one of the schools impacted by the catholic exodus.

loosely based on what I witnessed during the fall tournaments, Bay Shore will field a reasonably strong team this coming season. After speaking with some of their parents, they seem to have a small squad (in numbers) and a young team (only 2 or 3 seniors). Their lefty attackman is a 2020 and off the charts, as big and as athletic and skilled as most seniors, and is reported to be the top lefty, if not the top player in the country in the 2020 year. Unfortunately depending heavily on an 8th grader does not paint a rosy picture for the program in the near future. This kid is also rumored to be heading to St A's or Chaminade next year. Good luck to all in the coming season.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how many other LI teams will have MS players or 9th graders play a pivotal role for the Varsity team.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how many other LI teams will have MS players or 9th graders play a pivotal role for the Varsity team.

you will see more girls than boys. Less numbers

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are counting on a 9th grader your not good.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The Bay Shore boy would not play a pivotal role on the Varsity team. From the looks of things at the LI Classic, they have some work to do. This particular boy is good, but like all younger players, once you get in there with experienced varsity players, you don't look so good anymore. Besides, he's going to St A's. Good luck to Bay Shore, it would be nice if the home town boys would stick around!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A bit off topic, but in perusing these forums today, I came to appreciate that middle school teams are a thing in NY. In MD, outside of the private schools, no such animal exists. This probably explains the dearth of talent coming out of the Maryland publics when compared to those in NY.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The Bay Shore boy would not play a pivotal role on the Varsity team. From the looks of things at the LI Classic, they have some work to do. This particular boy is good, but like all younger players, once you get in there with experienced varsity players, you don't look so good anymore. Besides, he's going to St A's. Good luck to Bay Shore, it would be nice if the home town boys would stick around!

Enough about Bay Shore, what other teams are fortunate enough to have talented MSers 9th graders play up.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A bit off topic, but in perusing these forums today, I came to appreciate that middle school teams are a thing in NY. In MD, outside of the private schools, no such animal exists. This probably explains the dearth of talent coming out of the Maryland publics when compared to those in NY.

Long Island usually fields 7th and 8th grade MS teams but it just glorified rec ball / babysitting. Nothing really being taught but they do run thousands of shuttles so that's something I guess!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Enough about Bay Shore, what other teams are fortunate enough to have talented MSers 9th graders play up.

Several 9th graders started last year or came in second. This happened in all the powerhouses.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

To say the player will not have a pivotal role is Rediculous. I am sure he will start and probably be one of the top point leaders. Bay Shore has an uncanny way of working underclassman in, much because of need but it works for them. Good luck to all the boys

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

To say the player will not have a pivotal role is Rediculous. I am sure he will start and probably be one of the top point leaders. Bay Shore has an uncanny way of working underclassman in, much because of need but it works for them. Good luck to all the boys

First of all you can't play a pivotal role on a team you're not on because you decide to go private. Second, Bay Shore will not even be a threat for a county championship with or without an 8th grader. Funny! You are right about one thing, he'll start on a 9th grade team nobody cares about! And probably play a pivotal role!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"You are right about one thing, he'll start on a 9th grade team nobody cares about!"

Why will nobody care about it? Because YOU don't care about it? How about the players, coaches, parents, , etc. on that team and the teams they play against? How about the numerous college coaches who attend that 9th grade teams games? Yeah, I guess nobody cares because you don't care about it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"You are right about one thing, he'll start on a 9th grade team nobody cares about!"

Why will nobody care about it? Because YOU don't care about it? How about the players, coaches, parents, , etc. on that team and the teams they play against? How about the numerous college coaches who attend that 9th grade teams games? Yeah, I guess nobody cares because you don't care about it.

You are right, parents of the players care about 9th grade and JV games, nobody else cares! I dont see Newsday, MSG varsity, Tweets, etc. "Numerous college coaches" at a 9th grade game?? Don't worry when your son plays varsity, there will be time for that. Enjoy the ride, and yea, most people besides the players and parents could care less about non-varsity hs athletics.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bay Shore has a problem because their lacrosse is a team not a program. There is no coordination between youth, middle school and high school. The town definitely has talented kids that live there, its just that a good amount leave for Catholic schools for many different reasons. But I am sure it would make the decision to leave harder for them if things were more coordinated. The school is safe and the education is very good so that's not the reason. They have some good kids coming up so time will tell.

Not the only town in this category. How about East Islip? Kids commuting all the way to Chaminade and Kellenberg and also to SJB.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not sure where the 9th grade game comment came from, does that even exists. Not even sure why you lumped JV in. IMHO I believe the post was about impactful players on varsity that happen to be 9th or younger.

Connetiquot and Smithtown had some high profile 9th graders last year. About 10 or so 8th graders played significant moments for their Varsity teams. What schools (outside of Bay Shore) have those young players filling roles this year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not sure where the 9th grade game comment came from, does that even exists. Not even sure why you lumped JV in. IMHO I believe the post was about impactful players on varsity that happen to be 9th or younger.

Connetiquot and Smithtown had some high profile 9th graders last year. About 10 or so 8th graders played significant moments for their Varsity teams. What schools (outside of Bay Shore) have those young players filling roles this year.

The 9th grade comment was with respect to catholics who do not bring young players up the Varsity level regardless of their talent. These boys wind up playing on 9th grade teams that nobody cares about (except of course the players and their parents) As for any 9th or 8th graders playing pivotal roles on their top tier LI public teams, The answer is no. Some got in a bit, and learned a lot. Made some contributions. This would be the year they (sophomores ) will use that experience to be difference makers.IMHO

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The fact that this discussion has turned to what 8th and 9th graders will play significant roles on varsity teams speaks volumes to the fact that High School lacrosse on the Island is not very competitive (outside of the top 2 or three teams per league). Make a Power League already. As far as who cares about 9th grade lacrosse? I would say just about every major college coach in the country cares. 2018 and 2019 saw by far the most college coaches on their sidelines of any age groups this past fall and summer. The Top Club Teams draw an incredible amount of attention. Very few if any of the 2018's or 19" s would be able to compete with the top 2016 teams yet they are able to play major roles on varsity teams. An earlier post made reference to middle school lacrosse being a joke, well, most varsity programs are not much better. Same teams at the top year in and year out beating up on teams that have very few strong players and very limited depth. Even the top HS teams feel the need (for whateverreason) to bring up 9th graders. I think towns like Garden City, Syosset, Massapequa and Smithtown East could do just fine with out bringing up any 9th graders. Maybe the strong small schools do not have the depth.
Time for a Power League or smaller conferences so the teams can play more Non-League games against competitive teams. I bet that just about anyone who follows HS Lacrosse on the Island can predict the top 2 or three teams in each conference.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The fact that this discussion has turned to what 8th and 9th graders will play significant roles on varsity teams speaks volumes to the fact that High School lacrosse on the Island is not very competitive (outside of the top 2 or three teams per league). Make a Power League already. As far as who cares about 9th grade lacrosse? I would say just about every major college coach in the country cares. 2018 and 2019 saw by far the most college coaches on their sidelines of any age groups this past fall and summer. The Top Club Teams draw an incredible amount of attention. Very few if any of the 2018's or 19" s would be able to compete with the top 2016 teams yet they are able to play major roles on varsity teams. An earlier post made reference to middle school lacrosse being a joke, well, most varsity programs are not much better. Same teams at the top year in and year out beating up on teams that have very few strong players and very limited depth. Even the top HS teams feel the need (for whateverreason) to bring up 9th graders. I think towns like Garden City, Syosset, Massapequa and Smithtown East could do just fine with out bringing up any 9th graders. Maybe the strong small schools do not have the depth.
Time for a Power League or smaller conferences so the teams can play more Non-League games against competitive teams. I bet that just about anyone who follows HS Lacrosse on the Island can predict the top 2 or three teams in each conference.

Agree with what you say for the most part. Only when I talk about nobody caring about MS, 9th grade, and JV Lacrosse, you do realize I'm talking about school ball, not club, which is a completely different animal. In the publics the really good kids get brought up to varsity where many so care to watch and follow the sport. In the privates where they do not bring up kids, I maintain my position that nobody cares! And yes, I know many of these kids the been recruited through their club teams where there is much more interest to follow teams and kids. This is not just true of Lacrosse, but all varsity sports.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I disagree. I like to see the young guys play and have seen many act and play as mature smart players with IQ's as high as Jr's on the varsity field for the first time.

I don't see it as a trend that LI is on a down trend or the teams are watered down. I see it that there are diamonds in the rough who can play. I like to follow these guys through the years. I think the power conferences are a crock and server no purpose. Colleges have conferences and there are weak and strong teams there as well. Sure there should be more wiggle room for non league competitive play but leave the league games alone. Let the neighboring towns play each other, let Suffolk play more Nassu and let Li teams play Ct West and Nj PA MD VA teams.

Happy New years. West coast!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son may play Varsity as a 9th grader this year. What does it mean , not much in my eyes.Smsller school so the opportunity may present itself.Good for him if it happens but it doesn't mean he's the best out there

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have D1 juniors fighting for playing time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
." Let the neighboring towns play each other, let Suffolk play more Nassu and let Li teams play Ct West and Nj PA MD VA teams."

You do realize the coaches pick who they play non conference right? Nobody is stopping out of conference play.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Impossible..... What school ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Completely accurate on the girls side at 2-3 nassau county schools

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why would you say impossible? Do you think that all D1 commits are the same? Do you think all HS coaches are capable of identifying the best players?
Do you think that politics are absent from HS sports? Do you think HS coaches do not let their personal feelings influence their decisions? Do you think coaches who have a conflict of interest (financial interest / profit motive) are not influenced by their own greed?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There are plenty of boys in Suffolk that are D1 including Jrs and Srs. That are not starting or getting significant playing time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
happens at G.C. and Manhassett more often than you would think

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yep...look at Chaminade

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes but for all the wrong reasons. GC does it so kids don't go to Chaminade. Every year GC Head Coach does his home visits and promises the parents the move up. Once the school year starts some do some dont get moved but now those kids are his. For some reason the parents fall for his story every year. Can't transfer into Chaminade once school starts. Also isn't there a rule on the books if you are moved up to Varsity as a freshmen you must play or be moved down to JV ???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Been scanning this thread and have a quick question regarding the Catholic schools. Someone said you can't play up. Does that mean a 9/10th grader can't play varsity? Or just that they can't take 8th graders (since most don't have an 8th grade).

Thanks in advance.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No not true. It is just that one chooses not to move any kids up and does not have the need to move kids up. Most if a player is good enough and will help the team do move kids up. Most publics do because of numbers.
The 2 top Catholic programs on LI get a very large turnout for tryouts when most publics have to work hard to get enough to be able to scrimmage in practice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes but for all the wrong reasons. GC does it so kids don't go to Chaminade. Every year GC Head Coach does his home visits and promises the parents the move up. Once the school year starts some do some dont get moved but now those kids are his. For some reason the parents fall for his story every year. Can't transfer into Chaminade once school starts. Also isn't there a rule on the books if you are moved up to Varsity as a freshmen you must play or be moved down to JV ???

This is a town by town or district rule (on whether your on Varsity or JV) State used to set a max amount of games you can play (regular season only?, not sure). But the max is JV and Varsity combined Usually 16 league games not playoffs. You can play as many games on Jv or varsity as long as you don't go over that threshold (again I am not sure if this is regular games not playoffs) and as long as there is an overnight in between games. Cant leave the JV field toplay for varsity if you just played.

So you can be on the sideline for a varsity game but if you don't see the field it doesn't count. Remember playing time is the key.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
only catholic school with that rule is Chammy. dom's , st Mary's , etc. all have freshman play

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
only catholic school with that rule is Chammy. dom's , st Mary's , etc. all have freshman play

And St. A too.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And St. A too.

And kellenberg

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Suffolk too - not always because the team is that good. More like the fact that just about anybody can give a verbal, doesn't mean they are one of the best players. Commits who barely see the field at mediocre programs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
THAT IS SPOT ON.

Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard