BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,198
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 32 of 47 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 46 47
Re: Re: Boys 2019-9th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
UNC and Ohio State both have commits that will be impact players in college. Several of the kids they took early were standouts at showcases and tournaments; players capable of single handedly changing the outcome of games.

Im not sure. If you watched two of thebig osu commits in a game against a real team (like maybe laxachusetts on Sunday, not one of the the "I'm a midfielder with a split dodge so I look awesome" showcase game), you would have seen while they are beasts right now, unless they continue to grow even more or drastically improve, they are by no means guaranteed to be d1 stars. Now, if they do continue to grow and develop they may end up to be studs. But other kids have 4 years to catch them before any of the kids set foot on a college field.

Speaking of Laxachusetts, how many of the kids on that team were born before 9/1/00? That team got a lot bigger, in size and number, between last summer and this fall.

I would guess maybe half? I know their two big A used to be 2018s.

Its too bad so many clubs are going to this model. I always laugh when a 2019 commit announcement links to a highlight video for a 2018.

Those reclasses better hurry up and commit though, because the physical advantage they have disappears pretty quickly as the kids move into their sophomore year.

Why would you say "so many clubs going to this model"?

I would say "so many parents are going to this model".

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is the new trick: Tell them you are going PG, drop down a class, hopefully you get better looks versus younger field. Then use it as an option to go NESCAC if your grades are good enough.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When is all this "redshirt" nonsense going to end. Why don't they just do it by birth year like they do in youth hockey?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is the new trick: Tell them you are going PG, drop down a class, hopefully you get better looks versus younger field. Then use it as an option to go NESCAC if your grades are good enough.

Ok I have to call you out on this. I have a few questions:

1. Who are you telling you are going PG?
2. Use what as an option to go to a NESCAC?
3. You think PG'ing is a new trick?

Heres my two cents on this. When a kid decides to PG he is doing it for one of two reasons, he is verballed to a school who is telling him to PG or he is trying to get into a school he might not have been able to before. You dont have to go PG to go to a NESCAC, if youre grades are good enough and your a good lacrosse player, the NESCACS will take you. As far as this being a "new trick", sorry but this has been going on for a long, long time, Prep schools are filled with PG's every year.

Doing a PG year is a legitimate option for a lot of kids and it is usually mutually beneficial for the kid and the school he is committed or will be committing too. Perfect example is Justin Guterding of Duke. He had a great career at Garden City and did a PG year at Salisbury. Hes killing it at Duke and I bet if you talked to him he would attribute a lot of that success to having that extra year and Im sure it has also helped him tremendously academically as well. Club coaches, high school coaches and especially college coaches are strong proponents of PG years when they feel it is necessary. If your kid is good enough on the field and off it to get into his 1st choice of schools, great for him, but the reality is for a lot of kids thats just not the case.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UNC and Ohio State both have commits that will be impact players in college. Several of the kids they took early were standouts at showcases and tournaments; players capable of single handedly changing the outcome of games.

Im not sure. If you watched two of thebig osu commits in a game against a real team (like maybe laxachusetts on Sunday, not one of the the "I'm a midfielder with a split dodge so I look awesome" showcase game), you would have seen while they are beasts right now, unless they continue to grow even more or drastically improve, they are by no means guaranteed to be d1 stars. Now, if they do continue to grow and develop they may end up to be studs. But other kids have 4 years to catch them before any of the kids set foot on a college field.

Speaking of Laxachusetts, how many of the kids on that team were born before 9/1/00? That team got a lot bigger, in size and number, between last summer and this fall.

I would guess maybe half? I know their two big A used to be 2018s.

Its too bad so many clubs are going to this model. I always laugh when a 2019 commit announcement links to a highlight video for a 2018.

Those reclasses better hurry up and commit though, because the physical advantage they have disappears pretty quickly as the kids move into their sophomore year.

Because I know of at least one "Elite" club program that is just moving players down to lower teams without having them repeat a grade or declare that they will PG. It is only done with the hopes that they will stand out in front of coaches when playing younger competition.

I guess they will PG if a coach shows interest in them as a 2019? And if they don't draw interest then what?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Im not sure. If you watched two of thebig osu commits in a game against a real team (like maybe laxachusetts on Sunday, not one of the the "I'm a midfielder with a split dodge so I look awesome" showcase game), you would have seen while they are beasts right now, unless they continue to grow even more or drastically improve, they are by no means guaranteed to be d1 stars. Now, if they do continue to grow and develop they may end up to be studs. But other kids have 4 years to catch them before any of the kids set foot on a college field. [/quote]

Speaking of Laxachusetts, how many of the kids on that team were born before 9/1/00? That team got a lot bigger, in size and number, between last summer and this fall. [/quote]

I would guess maybe half? I know their two big A used to be 2018s. [/quote]

Those reclasses better hurry up and commit though, because the physical advantage they have disappears pretty quickly as the kids move into their sophomore year. [/quote]

[/quote]

Because I know of at least one "Elite" club program that is just moving players down to lower teams without having them repeat a grade or declare that they will PG. It is only done with the hopes that they will stand out in front of coaches when playing younger competition.

I guess they will PG if a coach shows interest in them as a 2019? And if they don't draw interest then what? [/quote]

Edge Lacrosse (Canada) plays ALL of their teams down an age group. Not new.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Speaking of Laxachusetts, how many of the kids on that team were born before 9/1/00? That team got a lot bigger, in size and number, between last summer and this fall. [/quote]

I would guess maybe half? I know their two big A used to be 2018s. [/quote]

Those reclasses better hurry up and commit though, because the physical advantage they have disappears pretty quickly as the kids move into their sophomore year. [/quote]

[/quote]

I guess they will PG if a coach shows interest in them as a 2019? And if they don't draw interest then what? [/quote]

Edge Lacrosse (Canada) plays ALL of their teams down an age group. Not new. [/quote]

How is it possible that tournaments allow a program to register their teams down? Wouldn't liability issues preclude such a practice? Entire teams playing down is entirely different than individual players form a liability standpoint.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How is it possible that tournaments allow a program to register their teams down? Wouldn't liability issues preclude such a practice? Entire teams playing down is entirely different than individual players form a liability standpoint. [/quote]

It's because they're not technically "playing down". Many of their school system (it may be province-dependent) have an extra year built in.
2019 is a graduation year; to us it means 12th grade. To someone else it might mean 10th grade or college.
If you go to "13th grade" and then graduate in 2019, you are technically a 2019.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are you talking about ? Makes no sense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing down had a huge negative stigma when I was a kid. The cool thing used to be playing up. The grade based system in lacrosse is there to accommodate a demographic that will pay a lot for an expensive sport that will broker back some advantages for those who can afford it. Club lacrosse is a great business model because of that. In other sports a kid needs to stand out on his own. In lacrosse you can broker it.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How is it possible that tournaments allow a program to register their teams down? Wouldn't liability issues preclude such a practice? Entire teams playing down is entirely different than individual players form a liability standpoint.

It's because they're not technically "playing down". Many of their school system (it may be province-dependent) have an extra year built in.
2019 is a graduation year; to us it means 12th grade. To someone else it might mean 10th grade or college.
If you go to "13th grade" and then graduate in 2019, you are technically a 2019. [/quote]

Basically, Canada views 2019 as when you enter college (grad hs in 2018, PG)
USA views 2019 as when you grad HS (which is what it is supposed to represent for these tourneys.
Coaches dont care because they get their hands on recruits at the same time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing down had a huge negative stigma when I was a kid. The cool thing used to be playing up. The grade based system in lacrosse is there to accommodate a demographic that will pay a lot for an expensive sport that will broker back some advantages for those who can afford it. Club lacrosse is a great business model because of that. In other sports a kid needs to stand out on his own. In lacrosse you can broker it.

pretty sure that Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, hockey all play age based in competitive "club" non-scholastic settings. Just about all of the scouting and recruiting is done in through the non-scholastic or club circuit in the sports mentioned.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think you missed the PP's point. There is club play in other sports, but none of those other sports institutionalize playing down. The only sports I can think of where an out of age sample kid plays down is in football or wrestling where the classes are weight and not pure age driven. The point that parents can be fixers to repeat and hide a boy in private schools a year behind is a lacrosse strategy, and thus far a good one. I would guess that if the recruiting rules stated nothing until junior year we'd see a lot less of that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you go to "13th grade" and then graduate in 2019, you are technically a 2019.

Basically, Canada views 2019 as when you enter college (grad hs in 2018, PG)
USA views 2019 as when you grad HS (which is what it is supposed to represent for these tourneys.
Coaches dont care because they get their hands on recruits at the same time. [/quote]

All of the Edge teams play against competition that is at least one year younger than the age of every kid on their roster. I don't believe there is anything technically kosher with what they do. The program claims each kid has pledged to do a PG year after HS graduation and that is how they justify it. College coaches couldn't care less so they are fee to do what they want with their program. I agree, if I'm running a tournament, I want disclaimers posted so I am not held liable if a kid gets hurt.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US Lacrosse just has to mandate that tourneys are age specific. It will not happen because US Lacrosse has 0 leadership and authority.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares. Edge is a very good team with good skills. I would bunch them in with the top 5 or 6 teams. They don't dominate any of the good teams. I would rather compete with them than play a quasi town/weak club team and win 12-2.
It's about development and playing under competitive pressure. Most of the top players play for their HS and against bigger kids. Getting used to being uncomfortable will surely build character.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are a bunch of cheats like the crabs. They can't excel against age appropriate kids. Therefore they have to play down against younger teams in order to look good.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are a bunch of cheats like the crabs. They can't excel against age appropriate kids. Therefore they have to play down against younger teams in order to look good.

Why do you call the crabs cheats? Name one club that doesn't have holdbacks and I will call you out for being a liar. Stop being jealous of the crabs because you can't beat them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's not the hold backs, dope. It is when they bring some 2019s to play 2020 that makes them cheats.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why do you call the crabs cheats? Name one club that doesn't have holdbacks and I will call you out for being a liar. Stop being jealous of the crabs because you can't beat them.

You are fooling yourself if you think anyone is jealous of Crabs. It is a scum organization with scumbag Ryan M leading all the dishonesty. You are also in no position to call anyone a liar. Crabs 2020 has 3 that did pre first and then held back in middle school and this clearly puts them in the 2018 range. Crabs 2020 is the oldest 2020 team in Maryland and has more holdbacks than anyone in Md. It is very close to most of the team are holdbacks. Deny it all you want and then you are the liar. At times it is hard to be crabs 2020 since they are 15 years old and some are approaching 16 by next spring/summer. But it must make Ryan M any everyone else feel good that their older kids can beat younger kids. It was stated elsewhere on this form, look at what happened to Crabs last summer at Vail when they could only play age appropriate kids and had to leave the holdbacks at home. They got crushed. So keep up your bs because no one is buying it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't know if one hold back on any of the 91 teams at the 2019 level. .if I am wrong I apologize

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't know if one hold back on any of the 91 teams at the 2019 level. .if I am wrong I apologize

Crush gained some hold backs this year

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Crush gained some hold backs this year

Yes that is true, the organization condones the holdback. Several of their teams have them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Says a crab daddy to deflect criticism Crush has two both undersized doing for the correct reason and 19 orange has one Please stop and enjoy your holiday

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OMG - almost the entire starting lineup on Crabs 2020 are Holdbacks. Crabs parents trying to defend their antics by pointing at other clubs because of one or two kids is absurd.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Says a crab daddy to deflect criticism Crush has two both undersized doing for the correct reason and 19 orange has one Please stop and enjoy your holiday

What is the correct reason? Don't like the genetic hand you were dealt, so just let daddy fix it? Pathetic!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A cheat is a cheat.either the team plays with ethics or they dont. Point is very few do. They cut on age kids and take holdbacks. One holdback makes you no better than the team with 10!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A cheat is a cheat.either the team plays with ethics or they dont. Point is very few do. They cut on age kids and take holdbacks. One holdback makes you no better than the team with 10!

I completely hate this entire holdback system and would much prefer to see age appropriate divisions, like soccer or the way youth lacrosse use to be. Some, and it covers both NY and MD. plus other areas, discovered a way to get an "advantage" with the graduation year set up. Don't know about other areas but in Md Crabs is by far the BIGGEST offender of this and takes it to the utmost limits. Crabs founder, Ryan M is the leader of this and I am told 99% of Crab players are held back for the sole purpose of having an older/bigger kid play against younger/smaller kids. This is just pathetic on so many fronts but yet it is running ramped and will continue until someone/something steps in and puts a stop to it. If a kid is held back for pure academic reasons, and I mean true academic reasons I can understand this but his age doesn't change and he would have to play with an age appropriate team. Many use this as a reason that they are holding their kid back but it is pure bs. I don't know how to stop this, I am sure there is a way but someone needs to step up and take the lead. There will be great pushback from Ryan M and his kind but it could be done. The excuse college coaches like this is not true. I agree with you in theory that one or ten holdbacks is cheating but when you have organizations like Crabs leading the way, it is well beyond cheating. That organization will ruin lacrosse if this continues. Rant over.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares. Edge is a very good team with good skills. I would bunch them in with the top 5 or 6 teams. They don't dominate any of the good teams. I would rather compete with them than play a quasi town/weak club team and win 12-2.
It's about development and playing under competitive pressure. Most of the top players play for their HS and against bigger kids. Getting used to being uncomfortable will surely build character.

Who cares? The kid who's spot is taken by an older Edge player. The parent feels pressured to hold their kid back because of the proliferation of clubs like Edge and their BS practices. The kid who hasn't hit puberty yet playing against Paul Bunyon and gets hurt. The parent who's kid loses scholarship money to an older Canadian kid.....

Tournaments have no way to police individual holdbacks, but they can force programs to play their teams in the appropriate division. If you want to get the holdback advantage, actually go through the expensive process of being held back.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with all of the points that it is tainted to stage kids so they can play down and dominate. My question to the other posters is,

With that as a given, why are college lacrosse coaches so smitten with it? Just me asking, but is there something more they see here than a 15 year old blowing up smaller 13 year olds in 8th grade? Most 15 year olds who are decent athletes will dominate younger and smaller kids, not just in lacrosse but in every sport I've had kids in. This recruiting angle seems really strange to me.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I agree with all of the points that it is tainted to stage kids so they can play down and dominate. My question to the other posters is,

With that as a given, why are college lacrosse coaches so smitten with it? Just me asking, but is there something more they see here than a 15 year old blowing up smaller 13 year olds in 8th grade? Most 15 year olds who are decent athletes will dominate younger and smaller kids, not just in lacrosse but in every sport I've had kids in. This recruiting angle seems really strange to me.

The coaches logic is that they are going to get a freshman that is 19 or maybe 20 years old. At that age every year of maturity counts not only physically but also mentally. There is also being more responsible at an older age.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am a first time poster. I have had kids who played for Madlax over the past 8 years. I think what a lot of the cynical posters writes is unfortunately accurate. My oldest didn't live this early process or was he urged to repeat a grade, but with my younger son who is now a 2020 I see it all the time. It is a family decision, but it is also a family decision on the advice of the club lacrosse people who tell kids and families to reclassify if you want to be a high level recruit. It is basically saying "if you want our help to place your son, here is what he should do".

The prep school people are also there waiting for your buy in to take a kid as a repeating 8th grader. The most top prep schools for lacrosse in Southern Maryland and in Baltimore have middle schools. The ones who don't have "feeder" middle schools. The old joke in Montgomery County Maryland is calling Mater Dei "Mater Delay" and some other jokes about a student parking lot at the middle school.

I had one kid go through Mater Dei as an on-age kid from K-8th, and I was absolutely clueless about other dads joking that my son better enjoy his playing time in 6th grade because come 8th grade there will be a bunch of redshirt ringers coming to keep him off the football field, the basketball court and the lacrosse field. Then I was revolted when exactly that did happen. Lacrosse in our area is basically Mater Delay kids stocking Georgetown Prep and Gonzaga, and then Landon and Bullis with legions of repeat 8th graders stocking their teams every year. One of the reasons why Landon's JV team is better than most public varsities is their team is stocked with 16 year old freshmen and 17 year old sophs who aren't up on varsity yet. It used to be a big deal when a 9th grader was a varsity member on one of these teams. Now it is no big deal at all...there are tons of 16 year old 9th graders now who play varsity, and even if they don't belong there on ability the prep coach rather has to keep them there to keep the peace. These parents would go nuts if their son the commit or their son the recruit was sullied by playing JV. They'd rather be last on the bench varsity than play on a team where their level of play belongs. And none of the prep coaches have the guts to run their own program because the parents will literally run them out of town.

There isn't a need for anyone to be defensive about it. Are a lot of the kids on Madlax Capital repeaters? Yes. Are MOST of the Crabs kids repeaters who did a middle school repeat year and/or a pre-first meaning they are old for grade anyways? Yes, almost 100%. I've heard all the reasoning about pre-first being the Baltimore private school tradition for decades which has nothing to do with sports advantage for boys and frankly I don't buy it. I think that in Baltimore this was institutionalized all the way back in the 1960s and 1970s to give boys more confindence and maturity when they are young. One of the ways all boys gain confidence is sports. Back then it was likely people just didn't notice or think as much about it because the world wasn't like this where college recruiting means kids are in or out once they are in middle school for colleges! It gets a lot of attention because of the crazy things in lacrosse recruiting. Given all that, I just don't understand all the denials and lying. Nearly every single kid playing high level club and MIAA prep lacrosse in Baltimore County is one year too old with the pre-first year or is two years old for his class if he also did a repeat middle school year. The second happens a lot...kids just transfer from one MIAA prep middle school to another. I would guesstimate that over 50% of the kids on any Crabs 8th grade team over the past 5 years turned 15 before the spring NPYLL season. And I know it is a fact for the recent 2 Crabs 8th grade teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College kids have the same problems being responsible at 20 as they do as 18 year olds. I was guilty of that. Not getting the older is better thing either. In football players are auto redshirted so they can gain 30-50 pounds in the weight room at many positions. It is also a sport that allows 85 scholarships for 11 spots at a time on the field. You can fully scholarship 5 QBs. In basketball they don't redshirt guys. In soccer, swimming, baseball, etc they don't. Going back in lacrosse to the 1990s or 1980s did the top players then struggle as 18 year old freshmen against older players? I don't think so. Once you are 18-19 you are good enough or you are not. If you are a middle school kid playing against kids a year or two younger, there just isn't any way to see that as an outlier. I'd feel differently if I saw a 14 year old 2019 kid tearing it up on a 2018 or 2017 team. But I've never seen that at a club lacrosse event.

Did all of these lacrosse coaches read Gulliver's Travels and get carried away? A 16 year old 6'3 9th grader probably is not going to grow to 10 feet tall.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Living on Long Island and my son playing on one of the top teams we already knew this but it's nice to hear it from the horses mouth. We see these "Mater Delay" kids and do our best against them. Most times we win sometimes we lose great lacrosse beats Big Lacrosse anyday. But we keep our head high and it just makes us train and play harder than ever. I feel sorry for those kids who are repeating 8th grade..watching their best friend graduate sometimes 2 years ahead of him. And we will see you again this summer so "Bring it on Big Guys !!!"

I am a first time poster. I have had kids who played for Madlax over the past 8 years. I think what a lot of the cynical posters writes is unfortunately accurate. My oldest didn't live this early process or was he urged to repeat a grade, but with my younger son who is now a 2020 I see it all the time. It is a family decision, but it is also a family decision on the advice of the club lacrosse people who tell kids and families to reclassify if you want to be a high level recruit. It is basically saying "if you want our help to place your son, here is what he should do".

The prep school people are also there waiting for your buy in to take a kid as a repeating 8th grader. The most top prep schools for lacrosse in Southern Maryland and in Baltimore have middle schools. The ones who don't have "feeder" middle schools. The old joke in Montgomery County Maryland is calling Mater Dei "Mater Delay" and some other jokes about a student parking lot at the middle school.

I had one kid go through Mater Dei as an on-age kid from K-8th, and I was absolutely clueless about other dads joking that my son better enjoy his playing time in 6th grade because come 8th grade there will be a bunch of redshirt ringers coming to keep him off the football field, the basketball court and the lacrosse field. Then I was revolted when exactly that did happen. Lacrosse in our area is basically Mater Delay kids stocking Georgetown Prep and Gonzaga, and then Landon and Bullis with legions of repeat 8th graders stocking their teams every year. One of the reasons why Landon's JV team is better than most public varsities is their team is stocked with 16 year old freshmen and 17 year old sophs who aren't up on varsity yet. It used to be a big deal when a 9th grader was a varsity member on one of these teams. Now it is no big deal at all...there are tons of 16 year old 9th graders now who play varsity, and even if they don't belong there on ability the prep coach rather has to keep them there to keep the peace. These parents would go nuts if their son the commit or their son the recruit was sullied by playing JV. They'd rather be last on the bench varsity than play on a team where their level of play belongs. And none of the prep coaches have the guts to run their own program because the parents will literally run them out of town.

There isn't a need for anyone to be defensive about it. Are a lot of the kids on Madlax Capital repeaters? Yes. Are MOST of the Crabs kids repeaters who did a middle school repeat year and/or a pre-first meaning they are old for grade anyways? Yes, almost 100%. I've heard all the reasoning about pre-first being the Baltimore private school tradition for decades which has nothing to do with sports advantage for boys and frankly I don't buy it. I think that in Baltimore this was institutionalized all the way back in the 1960s and 1970s to give boys more confindence and maturity when they are young. One of the ways all boys gain confidence is sports. Back then it was likely people just didn't notice or think as much about it because the world wasn't like this where college recruiting means kids are in or out once they are in middle school for colleges! It gets a lot of attention because of the crazy things in lacrosse recruiting. Given all that, I just don't understand all the denials and lying. Nearly every single kid playing high level club and MIAA prep lacrosse in Baltimore County is one year too old with the pre-first year or is two years old for his class if he also did a repeat middle school year. The second happens a lot...kids just transfer from one MIAA prep middle school to another. I would guesstimate that over 50% of the kids on any Crabs 8th grade team over the past 5 years turned 15 before the spring NPYLL season. And I know it is a fact for the recent 2 Crabs 8th grade teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks. Nice to see someone posting actual information and experience not just unsubstantiated gross generalizations.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coaches at top programs really only care about 6-8 kids in a recruiting class of 12-15. Out of those 6-8 kids there is maybe 3-4 players they know will be stud impact guys and 3-4 players that will contribute and add something as they get older and develop throughout the program. The remaining kids in the other half of the class are just practice bodies. Sometimes people need to remember that these d1 teams only have about 20 guys consistently getting important PT. I think this is what Tillman is doing at MD right now, but at a ridiculously accelerated pace.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only kids who pay a price for this are the ones on elite programs but the kids should be good enough to handle it..the lower level teams never play these kids so don't worry. It can only make the other kids better

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am the Madlax poste from earlier. Here is my second post. I have an older son who is a 2017. I truly believe that a watershed event for Crabs was my son's 8th grade year in the spring. That spring the U-15 West Coast Stars came east and beat Madlax soundly and played Crabs to the buzzer. That summer Crabs U-15s lost frequently and only won one summer tournament. Madlax Capital U-15s my son played on did not win a summer tournament. Come fall Ryan McClernan pushed very hard for grade based teams for all youth levels and he stuffed it through within the next year. Nobody around DC or Maryland got in his way and most of the other club owners including ours went along with it. Ryan's reasons were primarily that his age based teams were starting to lose. I think with the growth of lacrosse that happens over time anyways but around here nobody believes that. Ryan basically runs the NPYLL and controls the best summer tournaments including Young Gunz or Crabfeast. Get in his way or on his wrong side and your club is out of these leagues and tournaments. Very powerful person in Mid-Atlantic lacrosse. I doubt you will see a return to age based teams without a fight.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am the Madlax poste from earlier. Here is my second post. I have an older son who is a 2017. I truly believe that a watershed event for Crabs was my son's 8th grade year in the spring. That spring the U-15 West Coast Stars came east and beat Madlax soundly and played Crabs to the buzzer. That summer Crabs U-15s lost frequently and only won one summer tournament. Madlax Capital U-15s my son played on did not win a summer tournament. Come fall Ryan McClernan pushed very hard for grade based teams for all youth levels and he stuffed it through within the next year. Nobody around DC or Maryland got in his way and most of the other club owners including ours went along with it. Ryan's reasons were primarily that his age based teams were starting to lose. I think with the growth of lacrosse that happens over time anyways but around here nobody believes that. Ryan basically runs the NPYLL and controls the best summer tournaments including Young Gunz or Crabfeast. Get in his way or on his wrong side and your club is out of these leagues and tournaments. Very powerful person in Mid-Atlantic lacrosse. I doubt you will see a return to age based teams without a fight.

Totally agree with you about Ryan M. He is a total pos and is in it for himself and the money. He wants to walk his fat [lacrosse] around claiming he has the best 2020 team and that he is a superior lax coach, which he isn't. I have seen him at games and his behavior is pitiful. Seen him belittle his players, throw his hat on the ground and acts like he is some kind of superior being. I would like to see someone or some organization take him on and put an end to his bs. His present 2020 team is almost all holdbacks even to the point of a few double holdbacks which puts them close to 16 years old by next spring. Yet Crabs parents/fans keep denying this, yet the entire lacrosse world in Maryland know it is true. Go on the Crabs website and read his lacrosse coaching bio, it is a complete joke, he is in it for the money and to able to walk around like he is the king of youth lacrosse. If his 2020 team had to play with age appropriate players they would be a very weak team, they simply would be at best an A team and nowhere near a AA team. He needs to be taken out of youth lacrosse for the good of the game and for the safety of other players.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
College kids have the same problems being responsible at 20 as they do as 18 year olds. I was guilty of that. Not getting the older is better thing either. In football players are auto redshirted so they can gain 30-50 pounds in the weight room at many positions. It is also a sport that allows 85 scholarships for 11 spots at a time on the field. You can fully scholarship 5 QBs. In basketball they don't redshirt guys. In soccer, swimming, baseball, etc they don't. Going back in lacrosse to the 1990s or 1980s did the top players then struggle as 18 year old freshmen against older players? I don't think so. Once you are 18-19 you are good enough or you are not. If you are a middle school kid playing against kids a year or two younger, there just isn't any way to see that as an outlier. I'd feel differently if I saw a 14 year old 2019 kid tearing it up on a 2018 or 2017 team. But I've never seen that at a club lacrosse event.

Did all of these lacrosse coaches read Gulliver's Travels and get carried away? A 16 year old 6'3 9th grader probably is not going to grow to 10 feet tall.

Sorry but at 18 you are a bit more immature than 20 in all aspects of your development. I played a D1 sport in college and as a freshman I rode the bench by Junior year I started every game till I graduated. Same person same skill just more mature and exposure to the game. Physically I was just stronger and my time spent in the gym really paid off. What a difference 2 years made in my overall maturity and physical presence. take a kid add in the fact they either did a repeat in 9th and then a PG where they are being groomed to play D1 lacrosse. Odds are they are committed so speaking to the college coach every other week and discussing their progress. This type of kid knows whats on the line. So As a coach I would take the 20 year old freshman over the 18 year old. Like you said a player can go to a PG year and really take minimal classes workout at the private school/boarding school and put on size in the gym and come in ready to play. If you say otherwise you don't know the inner working of these schools like Deerfield and Salisbury etc. They want to be #1 in the prep school world and take on players that normally wouldn't be able to attend. They even pay for their schooling. I know of a number of athletes that have done this.

In my opinion I feel if you are going to repeat or PG you still play with your age appropriate class and when its time to enter college you enter college as the year you are going to graduate. It is ridiculous when I hear about players who say they are going to PG yet they are still in their appropriate grade in school and play a year down. That is absolute BS. At least the repeats have to deal with the fact they are repeating. Also being a repeat doesn't always guarantee you will be on your travel teams top team there is a player that put his trust in a director of a very large club and by his recommendation repeated and now isn't even that club teams A team. Great kid and great family.

Last edited by America's Game; .
Page 32 of 47 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard