BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,300
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Boys 2018-10th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I played another sport at a high D1 level and have coached youths through middle schoolers in the same sport for over 25 years. Now I have kids who play lacrosse as something to compare to. First, I've been on the receiving side of college recruiter calls thousands of times for hundreds of kids from HS All-Americas to D1 through kids who just wanted to keep going in D3 for fun beyond their studies.

I would state unequivocally that I am not qualified to protect who will or won't be a top college prospect in 9th grade. Out of the hundreds of kids I helped through recruiting I coached 4 kids who I honestly believed were no brainer future D1 stars. I was right twice. The other two, a kid dropped into trouble and dropped out of the sport. Another kid was just advanced and developed for his age and was simply the same kid in 12th grade he was in 9th, which was very frustrating for him when recruiters never came as expected. I also don't know or know of any club coach in my sport who would say different, and I have never spoken to a college recruiter who believed they could predict with any quality the college prospects for a 9th grader. Quite literally, what hampers early recruiting in other sports is a widespread belief that is will lead to disastrous results, and the most accurate recruiting that involves a scholarship has the best results the later it is.

I'm not a lacrosse guy, but I am a coach and like the Parcells rule states I can only evaluate what I see. I look at a 2019 or even a 2018 game and I see some kids in a sport not nearly seasoned enough to pass high level D1 sports from a physical, mental, mental toughness or academic perspective. That last one is important because I count so many dozens of kids who got a girlfriend, then the wrong friends, had some problems at home or some other trouble and fell away from the academic potential they had. I don't really care how expert or not Ty Xanders is, because that is moot. Unless lacrosse truly is unlike every other sport, early recruiting is a lighthouse for the soon to be shipwrecked.

A little advice to you, if you want to get reply's and reactions on a post you need to make grand statements or go negative on a kid, team or town or nobody is going to pay attention. And by the way, thank you for your post it was spot on.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wonder what it is like to be a parent psyched that a coach from Binghamton or Cleveland State was watching. Note to self, go to doctor and fake gout to get medical marijuana.

Wow, I am happy that you are a Princeton grad and that your kid is going to Harvard. For some other kids these may be very suitable options. Why hate on them? Be happy that they are getting an opportunity somewhere (even if it wouldn't be suitable for you and your family)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To chime in on this, for what its worth, I asked my son directly what the boys think of Ty and his lists. He said all the boys were talking about it at Maverik Showtime and the general consensus is that he is a clown and the kids dont take him seriously. There is also a definite preferential leaning towards the big clubs and the kids that play for them which raises the question of if there is money involved. I personally think its just straight entertainment and I dont get too wrapped up in it. None of it really means much until college when the real players show themselves.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is $ involved. He doesn't advertise on his site, where do you think he gets $ to buy goofy hats and fill his red solo cup. He is paid to attend tournaments, paid by club directors and I will venture to say he would take $ from parents for a "nod". Many of the players he writes on are very good athletes but take his rankings with a grain of salt

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
To chime in on this, for what its worth, I asked my son directly what the boys think of Ty and his lists. He said all the boys were talking about it at Maverik Showtime and the general consensus is that he is a clown and the kids dont take him seriously. There is also a definite preferential leaning towards the big clubs and the kids that play for them which raises the question of if there is money involved. I personally think its just straight entertainment and I dont get too wrapped up in it. None of it really means much until college when the real players show themselves.

There are some who not in the know feel what when TY writes something that it is gospel. There even those who go to great lengths to create their own rankings if they didn't like where their player was ranked by Ty. I was at a recent tournament where a particular player who plays for a very high profile team was mediocre at best wasn't even the best player that day for his own team and he got a stellar write up. I am talking 3 goals in 3 games and an assist but was written up as if he scored 10 goals, 5 assists and dominated. I think a lot has to do with reputation and what team you play for.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wonder what its like to vicariously live through my son whos probably peaked already and will never see a minute of playing time at the college he probably shouldnt be going to because you held him back in kindergarten, had him reclass and sending him to do a PG. I can almost guarantee I can guess what club your son plays for. Binghampton happens to be a 1st rate school and is a solid lax program and Cleveland State is a brand new program looking to get off the ground. I feel sorry for your family, its not their fault your an arrogant tool.....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh and not to mention he basically stole the name and idea for his website from Joe Lombardi and Laxlessons who have been doing "recruiting rundown" for years.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I wonder what its like to vicariously live through my son whos probably peaked already and will never see a minute of playing time at the college he probably shouldnt be going to because you held him back in kindergarten, had him reclass and sending him to do a PG. I can almost guarantee I can guess what club your son plays for. Binghampton happens to be a 1st rate school and is a solid lax program and Cleveland State is a brand new program looking to get off the ground. I feel sorry for your family, its not their fault your an arrogant tool.....

I assume your writing about this quote

"I wonder what it is like to be a parent psyched that a coach from Binghamton or Cleveland State was watching. Note to self, go to doctor and fake gout to get medical marijuana."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes sir, I think that quote encapsulates everything wrong with some of todays lax parents. Looking down on someone else for getting excited about their son getting a look from any school is about as bad as it gets. My son verballed to a lower D1 and Im ecstactic as is he, as it was the perfect fit for HIM. Its not an IVY or an ACC or a Patriot, so I guess Im supposed to be ashamed? Like I said I can almost guarantee I can guess what club his son plays for, but I doubt he has the guts to come back on here and defend that moronic statement he made

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I played another sport at a high D1 level and have coached youths through middle schoolers in the same sport for over 25 years. Now I have kids who play lacrosse as something to compare to. First, I've been on the receiving side of college recruiter calls thousands of times for hundreds of kids from HS All-Americas to D1 through kids who just wanted to keep going in D3 for fun beyond their studies.

I would state unequivocally that I am not qualified to protect who will or won't be a top college prospect in 9th grade. Out of the hundreds of kids I helped through recruiting I coached 4 kids who I honestly believed were no brainer future D1 stars. I was right twice. The other two, a kid dropped into trouble and dropped out of the sport. Another kid was just advanced and developed for his age and was simply the same kid in 12th grade he was in 9th, which was very frustrating for him when recruiters never came as expected. I also don't know or know of any club coach in my sport who would say different, and I have never spoken to a college recruiter who believed they could predict with any quality the college prospects for a 9th grader. Quite literally, what hampers early recruiting in other sports is a widespread belief that is will lead to disastrous results, and the most accurate recruiting that involves a scholarship has the best results the later it is.

I'm not a lacrosse guy, but I am a coach and like the Parcells rule states I can only evaluate what I see. I look at a 2019 or even a 2018 game and I see some kids in a sport not nearly seasoned enough to pass high level D1 sports from a physical, mental, mental toughness or academic perspective. That last one is important because I count so many dozens of kids who got a girlfriend, then the wrong friends, had some problems at home or some other trouble and fell away from the academic potential they had. I don't really care how expert or not Ty Xanders is, because that is moot. Unless lacrosse truly is unlike every other sport, early recruiting is a lighthouse for the soon to be shipwrecked.

A little advice to you, if you want to get reply's and reactions on a post you need to make grand statements or go negative on a kid, team or town or nobody is going to pay attention. And by the way, thank you for your post it was spot on.

Spot on except for the "play D3 and have fun' quote. As if playing D3 is akin to club ball or a beer league. Have you checked into the demands on a mid to high level D3 lacrosse student athlete lately, at a strong Academic School? I assume not.
How about a full fall ball schedule that starts day two of classes. Followed by a strength and conditioning test. It includes three fall ball games, 18 practices and many more captains practices. Alternating with both strength and conditioning workouts. This adds up to a 2-3 hour a day commitment 6 days a week past Columbus day. That commitment then wanes to a 4 day a week of lifting and conditioning program, along with team play days of basketball and soccer. Again brining the commitment up to 5 days a week in FALL. Then Spring is chock full of 3 1/2 hour practices that begin at 8pm, 6 days a week. They sometimes go 8 days straight with no day off. All this, while at a school that does not put sports before academics. No excused absences for sporting events, no preferential treatment for athletes when picking courses, no on demand tutors and no special treatment. Sounds like FUN, doesn't it? You might want to re-measure the degree of difficulty of playing D3 sports at a good Academic School.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
There is a lot that is wrong with this sport right now and one of them is this elitist mentality. A perfect example is the attitude of guy who knocked Binghamton and Cleveland State. Not everyone is cut out for Ivy or the high academic schools but when you knock a school like Binghamton it shows you have no clue about academics and a school that is reasonably priced for NY students. If you can go to a great school and play the game you love at a reasonable price, why not?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, sorry. I could have put in UVM or Delaware or Penn State or UMass or Denver. It wasn't an insult to two colleges, so sorry again. It's a bigger point than that.

I do wonder what it is like to be the parent of a 9th grader standing in some cow field in Maryland being psyched that my kid may spark an interest from a college coach who may be able to offer our family a $5K or $10K discount to a college my son could not find on a map before looking it up. Not that some scholarship money is nothing but a help, but Jesus. Parents getting revved about this and urging life decisions for 9th graders is what is wrong with this sport, not what ai wrote.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You really want to help your kid get into a good college and/ or get scholarship money? Worry less about showcases and more about the SAT and ACT. Have your son get on the honor roll and crank out a 33 on his ACT and watch him go to a better school than most of the ones you are dreaming about for lax. Oh and an ACT tutor is a fraction of what gets spent on lax.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How was the Big 4 Tournament? How did that Blue Star team from NJ do? Hear they have bunch of commits.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How was the Big 4 Tournament? How did that Blue Star team from NJ do? Hear they have bunch of commits.

They have two.......... and weren't very good.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You really want to help your kid get into a good college and/ or get scholarship money? Worry less about showcases and more about the SAT and ACT. Have your son get on the honor roll and crank out a 33 on his ACT and watch him go to a better school than most of the ones you are dreaming about for lax. Oh and an ACT tutor is a fraction of what gets spent on lax.

Absolutely true! Add a kid with those scores to a kid with lax skills- watch how many schools drool over him. Real good academic schools love smart kids. The money will roll in with the offers. Best advice on this board!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Best post I have seen! Hopefully you won't mind, I felt it was so good that I shared it on the 2020 thread too!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is it not possible to do well academically and athletically? why does it have to be either or?

There were coaches from some very impressive academic institutions in PA this past weekend recruiting 9th and 10th grade student athletes.

here are some of the schools along with their 2016 US News Academic Ranking and their 2015 Laxpower computer ranking.

Academic rank - Lax Rank

Princeton 1 - 15
Harvard 2 - 20
Yale 3 - 9
Duke 8 - 5
Penn 9 - 36
Hopkins 10 - 8

Lacrosse Ability & Athleticism + Good Grades & Test Scores = Great School.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A great school for your kid is a place where they can succeed
The schools you mentioned are academically demanding in addition to a rigorous schedule for a d1 athlete Not an easy task at most schools.
If your kid does not belong academically and only gets in because of being a great athlete then the rest of there life will just be trying to do enough to get by
Very few kids will get a pass from their coach if they struggle academically
A c student at an ivy is still just a c student when trying to get a job
Easy to google what Colgate faculty thinks of student athletes and it is not very positive

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, sorry. I could have put in UVM or Delaware or Penn State or UMass or Denver. It wasn't an insult to two colleges, so sorry again. It's a bigger point than that.

I do wonder what it is like to be the parent of a 9th grader standing in some cow field in Maryland being psyched that my kid may spark an interest from a college coach who may be able to offer our family a $5K or $10K discount to a college my son could not find on a map before looking it up. Not that some scholarship money is nothing but a help, but Jesus. Parents getting revved about this and urging life decisions for 9th graders is what is wrong with this sport, not what ai wrote.

Dear sir or madam,

I am such parent. My son has looked into Binghamton for 2 years now, is academically accelerated and is happy they are on the sidelines watching. First question out of his mouth was did you see Coach Skelly or Coach Francis.

At first I was shocked, but he showed me why he favored the Bearcats and I became a believer. Saw them at Stony Brook last year along with some other 2019's. Many probably went to see SB and became BU fans. LSM #18 was amazing and their middies are exactly the fit and mold of my son.

By they way he also likes 2 other schools you mention, and for him seeing them at the tournaments is a great thing. And BTW as a parent, it is a great feeling; a feeling I hope that never gets old. I don't care if 9th grade or 11th grade. It is a proud feeling.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A great school for your kid is a place where they can succeed
The schools you mentioned are academically demanding in addition to a rigorous schedule for a d1 athlete Not an easy task at most schools.
If your kid does not belong academically and only gets in because of being a great athlete then the rest of there life will just be trying to do enough to get by
Very few kids will get a pass from their coach if they struggle academically
A c student at an ivy is still just a c student when trying to get a job
Easy to google what Colgate faculty thinks of student athletes and it is not very positive

Agree 100%. My point was simple. Student athletes can be great students and great athletes and they can attend great universities with great lacrosse programs. They can have a great experience, contribute to their team and do well in the classroom.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Finally a post that makes sense. My son committed to a lower D1 and he couldnt be happier because it was the right fit for him. Coaches are great and its a very underrated program IMO. I believe any school can be a great school if you take advantage of what they are offering and work up to your capabilities. Not every kid is an IVY or Patriot or ACC kid. My son is a very good lax player with decent grades, so in our case his commitment was absolutely the right fit for him and I have no doubt he will be successful there, and isnt that whats its all about? My advice to any of you out there going through the process is to be patient and be realistic with your expectations, and if its the right fit youll know it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here,here
Great post!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2018 Long Island Teams results from Philly Showcase
91 2-0-1
Express 1-2
Outlaws 0-3.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
91 2-0-1
Express 1-2
Outlaws 0-3.

Says the 91 parent.......lmao, we get it, theyre a good team.......

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
91 2-0-1
Express 1-2
Outlaws 0-3.

Many LI public school kids at Fall Classic with HS School teams. Highly depleted travel squads down there. See you in the summer, ya know, cause it matters. LOL

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for some advice please, have a son on a younger team. What faceoff head seems to be popular these days? I have searched online but I thought why not come here and ask the older LI lacrosse community. Thanks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for some advice please, have a son on a younger team. What faceoff head seems to be popular these days? I have searched online but I thought why not come here and ask the older LI lacrosse community. Thanks.

Nike CEO.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nike CEO.

Warrior Blade. I believe the Beast uses the Tribe 7.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nike CEO.

Warrior NOZ. ( but don't get the No NOZ , that's too stiff)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nike CEO.

Blade is illegal at the college level and with new rules, illegal at the HS level as well

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tried the Tribe 7 for a bit - and on some of the crappy fields we play on he struggled with groundballs because of the flex. Will look at the CEO.
Really appreciate the thoughts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tried the Tribe 7 for a bit - and on some of the crappy fields we play on he struggled with groundballs because of the flex. Will look at the CEO.
Really appreciate the thoughts.

How young? If he is very young he really doesn't need the FO head because it really isn't the time to specialize yet. It's the same argument of at what time should you have Jr. Go to a long pole on D.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a 2018 player, I'm having a tough time choosing between which team I should play for, I couldn't make the decision myself so I'm seeing what everyone else says

Do I play with the team I was supposed to play on, 91? Or do I go in for a workout and possibly play for jesters?

Seeing if this helps

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a 2018 player, I'm having a tough time choosing between which team I should play for, I couldn't make the decision myself so I'm seeing what everyone else says

Do I play with the team I was supposed to play on, 91? Or do I go in for a workout and possibly play for jesters?

Seeing if this helps

It depends on which 91 and which Jester team. Which teams?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Seeing if this helps

What position do you play?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Seeing if this helps

What position do you play?

Both jesters teams have great coaching!!! I know both coaches are into promoting the kids to play at the next level! They are willing to go the extra mile for each kid. I cam from another team I am very happy with jesters so far!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But other than those 2 teams I have talked to express and recon. But I'll tell you about it soon.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh goody...we can't wait!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But other than those 2 teams I have talked to express and recon. But I'll tell you about it soon.

Recon's 2018 Zulu team is well coached and very competitive.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard