BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Recruiting stories from the road. Share your experience.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I took my 14 year old 2019 grad year son to a 2019 Top D1 prospect camp recently at the behest of his club coach. I would estimate there were 70-75 kids attending and I was truly amazed at the talent level. We had never attended a prospect camp and this is all new to me. My son's club coach also attended and had a relationship with one of the coaches who was running the camp. After the camp's conclusion, the club coach introduced me to the coach. In the course of our conversation the coach complimented my sons play and remarked he really played well especially considering "nearly 60% of the players are already 16 years old and four are 17". I was shocked but I guess I shouldn't be. The club coached explained how desperate parents/players are to attend a top D1 school and dropping a year or two improves their chances. So, a kid starts school a year late and then does a PG year? Or a kid is held back and then does a PG year? I think its lunacy and will harm the sport in the long run.

were you given direction that you could do the same and increase your chances.

I too attended a prospect camp with my son and was told similar figures. There were 17Yo sophomores, did some quick math which would make them 19yo seniors. I think my son gained some respect with some players since they found out he was 14 but it is not a healthy situation.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I took my 14 year old 2019 grad year son to a 2019 Top D1 prospect camp recently at the behest of his club coach. I would estimate there were 70-75 kids attending and I was truly amazed at the talent level. We had never attended a prospect camp and this is all new to me. My son's club coach also attended and had a relationship with one of the coaches who was running the camp. After the camp's conclusion, the club coach introduced me to the coach. In the course of our conversation the coach complimented my sons play and remarked he really played well especially considering "nearly 60% of the players are already 16 years old and four are 17". I was shocked but I guess I shouldn't be. The club coached explained how desperate parents/players are to attend a top D1 school and dropping a year or two improves their chances. So, a kid starts school a year late and then does a PG year? Or a kid is held back and then does a PG year? I think its lunacy and will harm the sport in the long run.

I too attended a prospect camp with my son and was told similar figures. There were 17Yo sophomores, did some quick math which would make them 19yo seniors. I think my son gained some respect with some players since they found out he was 14 but it is not a healthy situation.

I think I was told the age stats to open my eyes and possible proide a path to this university. Nothing was ever overt.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think I was told the age stats to open my eyes and possible proide a path to this university. Nothing was ever overt.

Are girls staying back at the same rate? Know of one girl committed to a top 5 college team that is two years older than most in her grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What the heck are we doing to this sport? I would have laughed (actually my father would have) at a coach if he suggested that I would be considered for a roster spot 1 or 2 years after my HS graduation. I grew up blue collar on LI and I'm sure there are still plenty of families in the same situation. Lacrosse helped me get into and pay for a college education that would have been unimaginable without it. To say its sad to see just doesn't express how I feel. So, if your family can't afford a PG year or your son wasn't held back...you are SOL?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What the heck are we doing to this sport? I would have laughed (actually my father would have) at a coach if he suggested that I would be considered for a roster spot 1 or 2 years after my HS graduation. I grew up blue collar on LI and I'm sure there are still plenty of families in the same situation. Lacrosse helped me get into and pay for a college education that would have been unimaginable without it. To say its sad to see just doesn't express how I feel. So, if your family can't afford a PG year or your son wasn't held back...you are SOL?

Not sure if you have the luxury of your dad around now, I do. Ive discussed this and he says sure as $hitting he would listen to what the coach had to say. It is all about getting the next generation better than theirs. and if one year back did that, he would see to it as a parent he did what was best to help the future for me.

Do not agree when you do it without direction but if you're given a go ahead and a mapped out plan sign us up.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone give me insight on the military academies? My kid who is a freshman just informed me that's what he wants to do. Not sure if I want him to do that but I have to support him. Is it easier to get into if they want you for a sport? Should I contact them stating he is interested. How many kids really want to do that? You are definitely not getting the same college experience going to a regular school I'm assuming.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Speak to hs/club coach- they will have some familiarity with the process from a lacrosse perspective. Plenty of info out there on the academies via their websites, which all have a lot of useful info. Not too early at all in terms of showing interest but you have to arm yourself with the information - talk to graduates or families of those who have gone through -they are your best source.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes thank you it is appreciated. I know they take alot of incoming freshman and have heard most go to prep their first year. My son said he would have no problem doing that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes thank you it is appreciated. I know they take alot of incoming freshman and have heard most go to prep their first year. My son said he would have no problem doing that.

The maps/naps schools are free (or at least they used to be). At the Academies, athletes do not get very much of a break (if any) on academics so this type of PG year is a survival mechanism for kids who will be plenty busy with military training even without the burden of D-1 sports.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah I hear its extremely tough. You have to have a mindset that this is something you really believe in doing. But as a freshman how many kids really want to do that? Plus you have to give them 5yrs after you graduate. And the way of the world now you will probably see combat.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah I hear its extremely tough. You have to have a mindset that this is something you really believe in doing. But as a freshman how many kids really want to do that? Plus you have to give them 5yrs after you graduate. And the way of the world now you will probably see combat.

And they pay you ty o go! Graduates come out with 200k in bank account rather than owing that. Not a bad deal if you are tough enough!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone give me insight on the military academies? My kid who is a freshman just informed me that's what he wants to do. Not sure if I want him to do that but I have to support him. Is it easier to get into if they want you for a sport? Should I contact them stating he is interested. How many kids really want to do that? You are definitely not getting the same college experience going to a regular school I'm assuming.

If your son/daughter wants to go to an Academy one thing you should do is in their Junior year enroll in the Summer Program. This is a one week mini session on what it will be like there. Do your homework now. Find out how its done. Four years ago when my son went registration for it opened up at midnight in the beginning of March and it sold out quickly. It was around $350 for the week. It is a great learning experience for them. If they pass the course you are an automatic candidate into any of the academies. Email the coaches like you would any other college coach. Remember in the Academies they recruit a lot of freshmen because the percentage of kids that are able to keep up with the heavy academics and athletics are less than in regular college. one thing that is for sure is after they graduate they will have $ in the bank and when they retire from service they will be set for life . The Alumni are a strong group that takes care of their own.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your son/daughter wants to go to an Academy one thing you should do is in their Junior year enroll in the Summer Program. This is a one week mini session on what it will be like there. Do your homework now. Find out how its done. Four years ago when my son went registration for it opened up at midnight in the beginning of March and it sold out quickly. It was around $350 for the week. It is a great learning experience for them. If they pass the course you are an automatic candidate into any of the academies. Email the coaches like you would any other college coach. Remember in the Academies they recruit a lot of freshmen because the percentage of kids that are able to keep up with the heavy academics and athletics are less than in regular college. one thing that is for sure is after they graduate they will have $ in the bank and when they retire from service they will be set for life . The Alumni are a strong group that takes care of their own.

Set for life? In what way? I did business with a Company that hired many WP grads... None were set for life. They had to work hard for life, like everyone else.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And they pay you ty o go! Graduates come out with 200k in bank account rather than owing that. Not a bad deal if you are tough enough!

Are you suggesting students are paid 50k a year to go? Many of the young men and women who attend the military academies go because of financial inability. That said, they serve their country and give back for the education they receive, sometimes making the ultimate sacrifice, none of them are $200k richer for it.

Like Reply Quote
The Hop Offline OP
User
OP Offline
User
Cadets/Midshipmen do not graduate with $200k in the bank unless mommy put it there.
Pay received goes quickly toward uniforms, laundry services and other expenses. There is enough left over for some normal expense that college kids have. Such as pizza, beer and gas money (seniors have cars on base).
With that said the Academies are an incredible value IF your kid wants that lifestyle and is qualified.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by The Hop
Cadets/Midshipmen do not graduate with $200k in the bank unless mommy put it there.
Pay received goes quickly toward uniforms, laundry services and other expenses. There is enough left over for some normal expense that college kids have. Such as pizza, beer and gas money (seniors have cars on base).
With that said the Academies are an incredible value IF your kid wants that lifestyle and is qualified.

Hop is right. One does not leave with $200k. A cadet's 'pay' goes to his/her account in the credit union and the money is used for more than the expenses mentioned above.

Want insight to decision making in regard to an academy? Perhaps this will help:

I attended an academy and chose to leave early. A decision I regret much of the time, but my decision for attending was misguided. I will not tell you the reasons of my departure as you would be shocked and it's not important for the purpose of this post. Below is what I figured out when I was around 28, my mind more mature, and long gone from an academy.

I was asked to play lacrosse, coming from a no-name school on the island, and had to pay my college tuition myself. I had high grades and boards, and made my mark on the field. The decision should be easy, right? Not so.

It's a very difficult decision for an 18 year old and there's even more burden if your family is in a tight situation financially. Don't make that a primary reason to attend! If you're qualified to get an offer from an academy, your qualified to be successful no matter what you do.

To anyone considering an academy: Know you have to be cut from a very particular cloth to attend AND graduate. It's a completely different mindset and way of life, while being one of the most honorable achievements to graduate. Don't let the latter point get in the way of the decision to attend, as the mindset and understanding of an academy's purpose is most important. The honor comes from commitment and beliefs in the system.

Also remember, the 'cadet' is ultimately trained to be a 'soldier' first, so ask yourself what is a soldiers purpose? Know it comes with sacrifices. One could be your life, yes. One can be leading others to a similar fate which you may have to live with. Interestingly, some never consider the flip side. Are they are willing/able to take the life of another human being?

If one graduates and makes it through, it can be a very rewarding path, don't get me wrong. It was my initial plan to play lacrosse, get thru with fewer obligated service years post graduation since the military was downsizing, and run a team on Wall St. After all, I would be bred a leader who can manage a platoon/company of individuals and make high level decisions under pressure. I'd be ahead of other professionals my age. Then I'd reap all the rewards and all the materialistic things that went along with Wall St. That's what I was told by those who guided my naive 18 year old mind. BUT that's not what academies are about and one doesn't attend for that reason alone. That is just one example of a misguided decision.

Deciding to go is a decision of a lifetime and it must be thought out carefully. For only lacrosse/sports and 'getting paid' to go there, it's not the right reason to attend. There are other great men and women that know the academy is what they want, and they would do anything to live that life and wear the uniform. Know you may be taking a spot away from some great individual if you are not 'ALL IN'.

Make sure you love what it represents first, considering all the benefits and connections in the real world down the road were taken away. Then consider the sacrifices. Then consider the way of life. Are you 'all in'?

Lastly, thank you to all the men and women who served since the birth of this great country. I saw only a small glimpse of the sacrifice and hard work our servicemen have done, and it opened my eyes. Be thankful they provide the means for your way of life, and for you not having to see the battlefield.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
different subject same theme. what happens to a recruit who gets themselves in trouble and gets booted from team prior to graduation? does the college usually still take them?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
different subject same theme. what happens to a recruit who gets themselves in trouble and gets booted from team prior to graduation? does the college usually still take them?

I am sure every situation is different.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you live in MA, the DMV or PA here's how it goes. You are already most likely a hold back. So you re-class again, drop down yet another year and get picked up again. You may say I'm crazy, but this is the exact scenario of a kid on my son's team at Showtime. He was a 17 year old rising Sophomore who was de-committed from one ACC team because of off the field issues. Re-classed and was committed to a new ACC team. Kid should be a 2016. Is now 2018. He's on one of those travel team's that always seems to get much better (cough ugh, older) right around 9th - 10th grade. Too funny, or sad depending on how you look at it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a parent of an 8th grader, when/how should I be looking into freshman showcase events?

Thanks in advance

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh man!! you are so late to be looking into this.
your chances of being recruited are very slim. all the full rides are probably gone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a parent of an 8th grader, when/how should I be looking into freshman showcase events?

Thanks in advance

We started contacting fall of freshman year and my daughter did really well for her self. a lot depends on your goals and expectations. D1 sooner then 2 or 3

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks in advance

Showcase events are not critical. Playing on a Club
Team that competes in the top tournaments is very important. If you know where your son/daughter would like to go to college be sure to attend that schools camp.

Reach out and find someone to give an honest evaluation of what caliber athlete your child is.

Rising 9th grade summer and the fall of 9th grade is when the "Top" prospects will be identified by college coaches. The players who are in that group will all be contacted, recruited and offered spots by multiple schools. If your kid is not in that group don't worry the recruiting process does not end when the top players are committed.

Never blow a coach off thinking that the school is below the student athletes academic or athletic abilities. There are many reasons why you do not want to do this but here are a few that are important.

1: Coaches change schools. If a coach expresses interest "likes the athlete" they may change schools and end up at a school that your child would love to go to.

2: It would be great to go to a Top 20 Lacrosse School considering most are great academic institutions as well. However, if Top 20 schools are not offering your child a spot they are most likely not that caliber athlete. Focus on the schools that are expressing interest.

3. If money is a major factor, be willing to consider schools that you think are a notch below the students athletic and academic abilities. The potential for $$$ is significantly greater.

Good luck to all.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maritime is a diamond in our own backyard. Two kids exact same major one graduated SUNY Maritime, one University of Delaware.

Maritime grad, had a 90K starting salary before graduation., as did the rest of the class. Stevens Institute another diamond and job placement but higher academic stats needed than Maritime.
Delaware kid took an entire year to find first job, starting salary 45K.

Our oldest son played lacrosse for Maritime. Great school. He got some academic scholarship money, we got in-state tuition (plus additional cost of mandatory summer sea terms)and he got a $100K+ job when he graduated this past spring.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maritime is a diamond in our own backyard. Two kids exact same major one graduated SUNY Maritime, one University of Delaware.

Maritime grad, had a 90K starting salary before graduation., as did the rest of the class. Stevens Institute another diamond and job placement but higher academic stats needed than Maritime.

Our oldest son played lacrosse for Maritime. Great school. He got some academic scholarship money, we got in-state tuition (plus additional cost of mandatory summer sea terms)and he got a $100K+ job when he graduated this past spring.

YOur happy ending stories will be lost on most here because they want some "athletic money" so they can continue bragging at work. D3 is the way to go...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please Post the Truth! Where are you now, a few years after graduating college.
Girls 2006
Girls 2007
Girls 2008
Girls 2009

Can you enlighten us on your experience doing all the travel lax, committing in 9th and 10th grades to D1 schools.
Did you graduate in 4 years
How much school loan debt do you and your parents now have

Most importantly; do you have a good job in your field of study?

Would you take the same route again, what would you do differently?

Thanks, this could be a huge help to those of us with younger kids.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Please Post the Truth! Where are you now, a few years after graduating college.
Girls 2006
Girls 2007
Girls 2008
Girls 2009

Can you enlighten us on your experience doing all the travel lax, committing in 9th and 10th grades to D1 schools.
Did you graduate in 4 years
How much school loan debt do you and your parents now have

Most importantly; do you have a good job in your field of study?

Would you take the same route again, what would you do differently?

Thanks, this could be a huge help to those of us with younger kids.

I don't have a lax player in those ages but my daughter did.

2008 grads: both committed early senior year. One to the NCAA D2 champ team, and one who became a Teewarton nominee. The takeaway point is there wasn't this early committing crap then. Both gainfully employed.

2009 grad: I can't remember when she committed but it was Jr or Sr year, no sooner; she went on to play in the Patriot league and won many accolades. Now gainfully employed.

To the best of my recollection, even six years ago there were not all these early recruits.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YOur happy ending stories will be lost on most here because they want some "athletic money" so they can continue bragging at work. D3 is the way to go...

My son is in year three of great D3, NCAA Tournament level school. Received $60,000 in merit and academic money. Continues to get that money as long as he stays in school, not dependent upon Lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And a lot of people overlook kings point also. People are hung up on seeing their kid on TV at this big time division 1 schools. I know a lot of kids who graduated at those big lacrosse schools and don't make nearly the salary as some of the boys who went d3.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my son same deal. while its not lax dependent , he was helped a lot thru the admissions process because of athletics. financial package at very good school almost half off.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son just committed to a mid D1 school and got a 1/2 athletic and a chance to earn full tuition based on his academics and test scores. The process was great, coaches were awesome and consistent through the process. My son worked hard and he earned it and although its not considered a top program or a top school, I think its the perfect fit for him and he is ecstatic with his decision and in the end isnt that what matters?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good for him

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just recieved my son's NLI. It states in writing that his %scholarship is guaranteed for all for years. I thought someone once mentioned on here that the scholarship and amount can be changed from year to year. His coach told us the amount could only be increased and not subject to decrease. Does this sound correct?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
7.4m high school athletes.
460,000 play in college
That is 6% of HS players continuing to play
Of the 6% about 2% get athletic money

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just recieved my son's NLI. It states in writing that his %scholarship is guaranteed for all for years. I thought someone once mentioned on here that the scholarship and amount can be changed from year to year. His coach told us the amount could only be increased and not subject to decrease. Does this sound correct?

What league? Some league it is a rule once they offer it cannot change I believe ACC and Big 10 have this for all Div 1 athletes.

Good luck to your son

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What league? Some league it is a rule once they offer it cannot change I believe ACC and Big 10 have this for all Div 1 athletes.

Good luck to your son

It's big 10. Knowing the athletics money is going to be there for the full 4 years is a bug relief!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son just committed to a mid D1 school and got a 1/2 athletic and a chance to earn full tuition based on his academics and test scores. The process was great, coaches were awesome and consistent through the process. My son worked hard and he earned it and although its not considered a top program or a top school, I think its the perfect fit for him and he is ecstatic with his decision and in the end isnt that what matters?

I second that. Good for him. Playing Division I (and II and III) sports is a great accomplishment no matter where they play. Some fools on here will have you think otherwise.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the new rule about the meals with Div 2

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Be very leery of club teams that have kids fly in from around the country and a consulting fee if you want your kid showcased.

Like Reply Quote
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard