Oct 23rd, 2017
SUBSCRIBE

Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#136372 - 10/03/15 07:44 AM How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges  
THOMAS JOHN Offline
Chief Admin
THOMAS JOHN  Offline
Chief Admin

Bethpage, NY
It's hard to generalize across sports—the football drill is a lot different from recruiting backstrokers—but here are some tips.

Think your child is good enough to play college sports and maybe get a scholarship? According to [lacrosse], a measly 1.9% of high school boys will play Division I–level sports (where much of the money is). Girls fare a little better at 2.3%. How do they make the cut? It’s hard to generalize—the football drill is a lot different from recruiting backstrokers—but here are some tips:

BE HONEST ABOUT YOUR CHILD’S TALENT. Few kids are good enough to compete in D-1, so don’t eliminate D-2 and D-3 schools; many have great sports and great academics. An unbiased assessment of your kid’s talent by a high school coach will help narrow the search.

DON’T WAIT TO BE SCOUTED. “Most kids go to tournaments and showcases hoping a coach from the school of their dreams will notice them,” says Matt Wheeler of www.SportsRecruits.com. “That’s not going to happen. Coaches already have a list of kids they want to look at.” To get on that list, create a short highlight video, write a compelling profile (including grades), and send them to coaches. Start as early as your child’s freshman year. That way, you’ll know where things stand by junior year with his or her top school choices.

HIT THE BOOKS. Athletes with good grades have a big edge. Great academics also allow a coach to recruit others with less-than-stellar grades (because your kid’s high GPA helps bring up the recruiting class’s average).

SEEK OUT “INFLUENCERS.”It helps if your kid receives lessons from someone with college contacts. Influencers might also help your child get into an invitation-only college-recruiting camp. Another source: Enroll in a college sports camp, where you’ll be able to work out with the coaches themselves. Some clinics last only a day and run $100 or so. Others can last five days and cost close to a grand.

Top Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#136382 - 10/03/15 11:23 AM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: THOMAS JOHN]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do college coaches prefer private school kids if all is equal?

Top Reply Quote
#136434 - 10/04/15 04:21 PM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do college coaches prefer private school kids if all is equal?
If they play better competition they do. But most coaches will still walk dummies into their program if it will help them. Look at all the convicts playing D1 football. Every week there are a handful arrested and dismissed form the team.

That is the big advantage of being a stud. You get into schools that wouldn't give you a sniff on academics alone.

Top Reply Quote
#136948 - 10/08/15 04:47 PM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nobody wants to share stories. Just goes to prove that everyone is out for themselves. Parents have ruined this great sport

Top Reply Quote
#136950 - 10/08/15 05:03 PM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nobody wants to share stories. Just goes to prove that everyone is out for themselves. Parents have ruined this great sport

True, once recruiting age hits, friends become enemies. Seen it first hand!

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#136957 - 10/08/15 06:28 PM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Anonymous]  
Powderfinger Online content
Back of THE CAGE
Powderfinger  Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

Suffolk County

What stories do you want? How my kids got recruited? Tips on the process?

Top Reply Quote
#136960 - 10/08/15 06:52 PM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Powderfinger]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Powderfinger

Both of those would be great, if you don't mind sharing!

Top Reply Quote
#136974 - 10/08/15 09:16 PM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Powderfinger]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a question-I keep hearing once the girls are on a college team (regardless of level) they get super close and have a unique bond, unlike high school drama. I would like to hear from those who have personal experience please (players/parents) thank you

Top Reply Quote
#136992 - 10/09/15 07:11 AM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a question-I keep hearing once the girls are on a college team (regardless of level) they get super close and have a unique bond, unlike high school drama. I would like to hear from those who have personal experience please (players/parents) thank you

Yes they do since they spend a tremendous amount of time together and if its D1 even more time together traveling with more over nighters. D1 girls spend more time on the field then they do in the classroom and that's without all the gym work. Girls don't really have a chance not to be close. My daughter has some friends that aren't forced to dorm together at other schools as freshman so they actually made more friends but she was and then after a year or two they all move off campus together.

Top Reply Quote
#136999 - 10/09/15 07:35 AM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Anonymous]  
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Suffolk County

Girls and boys. My kids are super-close to their teammates. One of my kids had a pretty bad college sport experience but never wanted to transfer because her BFF's were her teammates. She graduated several years ago and still does trips with her teammates, they're still tight. Now my youngest is telling me that her teammates and she are all getting tattoos together -- that would be the downside of that bonding.

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#137000 - 10/09/15 07:46 AM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Anonymous]  
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Suffolk County

Both of those would be great, if you don't mind sharing!

Three kids, three sports, all different recruiting stories.

Eldest, not lacrosse, I taped her entire junior year games, made a killer dvd and sent it out to coaches and got some interest. But what really got her noticed was going to showcases. Other than sending out the DVD, we didn't do much reaching out to coaches, and we didn't contact coaches prior to showcasing -- a rookie mistake. What I did learn though was that it was all about marketing and sellilng youro product, aka your kid. Not a comfortable fit for us but that's what you have to do.

Second kid does an individual sport so his stats spoke for themselves. We did some contacting of coaches, but they also saw his numbers and reached out to him.

Third kid is the lax kid. We wrote to many coaches before each tournament, got some interest from both coaches we'd contacted and coaches we did not reach out to. Did some clinics at schools she was interested in but they didn't pan out for whatever reason. No one asked for tape, anyone interested wanted to see her live.

What I have seen through all this is that very, very late in the game, I"m talking second half of senior year, you will start hearing from coaches. That's too late IMO, and there probably isn't any athletic money left, but I was always surprised by who reached out that late in the game. Also, coaches always wanted to know the GPA, no one wants a kid that will end up on academic probation.

The two most important things IMO were reaching out to coaches and being able/comfortable with selling yourself. This is no time for modesty, this is the time to say, "Yes, I am good," and owning it. And of course, you must be seen live so get to showcases and recruiting events.

Top Reply Quote
#137014 - 10/09/15 08:39 AM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Powderfinger]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

agree 100% but would like to add that you need to be realistic. The recruiting process can be like a roller coaster with lots of excitement and some disappointment. By being realistic but confident in the student athlete's abilities you may be able to reduce and sometimes eliminate the disappointment. Don't be in a rush to commit just to keep up with teammates and find the right fit academically, socially, financially and athletically. There is a place for everybody

Top Reply Quote
#137021 - 10/09/15 09:14 AM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Anonymous]  
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Suffolk County
agree 100% but would like to add that you need to be realistic. The recruiting process can be like a roller coaster with lots of excitement and some disappointment. By being realistic but confident in the student athlete's abilities you may be able to reduce and sometimes eliminate the disappointment. Don't be in a rush to commit just to keep up with teammates and find the right fit academically, socially, financially and athletically. There is a place for everybody

True. One of my kids expected the blue chip treatment, it didn't happen and we had to readjust. As a parent, it's hard to be realistic though, let's admit that.

One other important thing, your kid has to like the school, not just the lax ranking. My eldest had a miserable experience with her coach but LOVED her school and teammates so she stayed and overall had a great college experience.

Top Reply Quote
#137023 - 10/09/15 09:23 AM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

DITTO, too many first timers are eager to jump at an offer by any school. Don't panic, make sure you end up at a school that fits even if your child stops playing. All of the kids getting offers are studs but then they are on a team of 30 studs and playing time is reduced and the school work for some is overwhelming so some stop playing as they get to be jr's and sr's.

Top Reply Quote
#137106 - 10/09/15 09:04 PM Re: How to Get Your Student-Athlete Noticed by Colleges [Re: THOMAS JOHN]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you so much everyone, excellent advice and input! I am finding out that some club directors and coaches have girls make lists of schools and help guide through process while others do nothing- Top clubs that don't even answer emails. Thank you for this board, it's very helpful to us rookies!

Top Reply Quote
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Harding Battle by the Bay
Harding Summer Sunset
Andy Forsberg Memorial Lacrosse Tournament
JC17 Memorial Shootout for Dreams