BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,198
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 47 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 46 47
Re: Re: Boys 2019-9th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lighten up Francis, it's freshman lacrosse not neuro surgery. Keep up the grades and little Johnny will have a shot to play a little college lacrosse. His mornings will be spent in the weight room, afternoons in class, evenings at practice. Fun? Perhaps, but grueling and when reality hits that you are nothing special on your D1 team, will Johnny stay with ot or will he forego the $2000 scholarship and walk away? Put it in perspective. Because YOU never played college athletics, don't force your 14 year old to do it for you.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Lighten up Francis, it's freshman lacrosse not neuro surgery. Keep up the grades and little Johnny will have a shot to play a little college lacrosse. His mornings will be spent in the weight room, afternoons in class, evenings at practice. Fun? Perhaps, but grueling and when reality hits that you are nothing special on your D1 team, will Johnny stay with ot or will he forego the $2000 scholarship and walk away? Put it in perspective. Because YOU never played college athletics, don't force your 14 year old to do it for you.

Sounds really angry - has a hard time directing his anger at anyone in particular.

To whom did you want to address that?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds really angry - has a hard time directing his anger at anyone in particular.

even beeter... what was it in response too

Although correct in that it is alot morning workouts, breakfast, class, lunch, practice, dinner, college life... is a lot to handle.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

even better... what was it in response too

Although correct in that it is alot morning workouts, breakfast, class, lunch, practice, dinner, college life... is a lot to handle.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I really get a kick out of some of the things that are posted. Some good some bad. But overall fun ro read. I would like to ask this question to all and please answer honestly.

If you were a college coach and some kid that you are interested in gives you a verbal commitment, how much thought do you put into that kid being that he is a 9th grader? Would you just entertain his parents?

The reason why I ask this question is because it's just a verbal not a signing. Parents get all proud and walk around like it is something special to give a verbal. Maybe some of us can get a little smarter about this whole process.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I really get a kick out of some of the things that are posted. Some good some bad. But overall fun ro read. I would like to ask this question to all and please answer honestly.

If you were a college coach and some kid that you are interested in gives you a verbal commitment, how much thought do you put into that kid being that he is a 9th grader? Would you just entertain his parents?

The reason why I ask this question is because it's just a verbal not a signing. Parents get all proud and walk around like it is something special to give a verbal. Maybe some of us can get a little smarter about this whole process.

Players don't simply give a verbal commitment. In order for a player to commit to a school a Coach must first make an offer. College coaches do as much due diligence as they can prior to offering a recruit a spot in their recruiting class. Coaches will try and watch a player as much as possible, they meet with the player and the parents, they talk to the HS and club coaches about the player and the family. If they believe the player will be a good fit for their program they may offer a spot. Only in the case where an "Athletic Scholarship" is offered is there anything to sign. When a player is offered an Athletic Scholarship they sign what is known a National Letter of Intent in their senior year. Not all D-1 or D-2 players are on scholarship. The Ivy's do not offer athletic scholarships and D-3 schools do not offer athletic scholarships. So for the majority of kids playing college lacrosse a verbal is the only agreement they will ever have.

The large majority of Verbal Commitments are honored by both the Player and the Coach.

There will be very few Verbal commitments made by 9th graders and I would say the College coaches put a fair amount of thought into it. They do not offer many spots to 9th graders. The Top kids are being recruited in 9th grade that's it.

If my kid was offered a spot and agreed to verbally commit to one of the top academic institutions in the country (Duke, Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, Virginia, Princeton, Navy, Note Dame etc..) I would be extremely proud.

Remember, no matter what anyone says, it is the college coaches who are driving the recruiting process.

What parent would not be proud of their child if they had worked hard in the classroom and on the athletic field and as a result were offered a spot in a recruiting class at one of the many great schools out there?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree with all of what is said above.

The only thing to add would be in some cases a school may issue a "likely letter" to a student athlete before they give a verbal commitment. While still non binding it gives students and parents some addition comfort that the school is serious about bringing the kid into their program.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Players don't simply give a verbal commitment. In order for a player to commit to a school a Coach must first make an offer. College coaches do as much due diligence as they can prior to offering a recruit a spot in their recruiting class. Coaches will try and watch a player as much as possible, they meet with the player and the parents, they talk to the HS and club coaches about the player and the family. If they believe the player will be a good fit for their program they may offer a spot. Only in the case where an "Athletic Scholarship" is offered is there anything to sign. When a player is offered an Athletic Scholarship they sign what is known a National Letter of Intent in their senior year. Not all D-1 or D-2 players are on scholarship. The Ivy's do not offer athletic scholarships and D-3 schools do not offer athletic scholarships. So for the majority of kids playing college lacrosse a verbal is the only agreement they will ever have.

The large majority of Verbal Commitments are honored by both the Player and the Coach.

There will be very few Verbal commitments made by 9th graders and I would say the College coaches put a fair amount of thought into it. They do not offer many spots to 9th graders. The Top kids are being recruited in 9th grade that's it.

If my kid was offered a spot and agreed to verbally commit to one of the top academic institutions in the country (Duke, Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, Virginia, Princeton, Navy, Note Dame etc..) I would be extremely proud.

Remember, no matter what anyone says, it is the college coaches who are driving the recruiting process.

What parent would not be proud of their child if they had worked hard in the classroom and on the athletic field and as a result were offered a spot in a recruiting class at one of the many great schools out there?

Unfortunately a few ivy committed kids could not make the grades they promised to in 9th gRade so they were picked up elsewhere. On the hand, my son who is considered an elite player was offered a spot on a roster at couple of those schools you mentioned with a 3.4. The same he's had since 9th. He decided on a great (top50) school offering the big$$. And his coach confirmed in writing that his scholarship money can only go up. Be careful because not all schools will do that. Point is all those schools you mentioned absolutely do not have the same academic standards when it comes to atheltes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's some great info. Thanks. The reason why I put that out there is because people are talking about kids giving verbals all the time on this site. For me, I sit down with my kids and make sure they keep inmind that they are in the next stage of life. First know what you would like to do after high school. Pick a school that you would like to attend and make sure they have an idea of what they would like to do as a career. If lax can gelp them get into a school that they may not be able to get into then I say that's great. Seems like alot of parents don't stress school enough when it comes this site. Congrats on the 3.4 for your son. To me thats better then anything.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's some great info. Thanks. The reason why I put that out there is because people are talking about kids giving verbals all the time on this site. For me, I sit down with my kids and make sure they keep inmind that they are in the next stage of life. First know what you would like to do after high school. Pick a school that you would like to attend and make sure they have an idea of what they would like to do as a career. If lax can gelp them get into a school that they may not be able to get into then I say that's great. Seems like alot of parents don't stress school enough when it comes this site. Congrats on the 3.4 for your son. To me thats better then anything.

Thank you! I wasnt really bragging about the 3.4 it was the lax that got him to a school he wouldn't have gotten into, plus a decent amount of money. I know kids with,4.0 who were rejected from several of the schools you mentioned because they didn't Excell at something else (like lax) A 3.4 plus being an outstanding athlete still will not get you into Harvard or Princeton.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you! I wasnt really bragging about the 3.4 it was the lax that got him to a school he wouldn't have gotten into, plus a decent amount of money. I know kids with,4.0 who were rejected from several of the schools you mentioned because they didn't Excell at something else (like lax) A 3.4 plus being an outstanding athlete still will not get you into Harvard or Princeton.

Actually, depending on the player, it will.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your talking Hopkins, agreed. The real top, nope. Which is exactly why some top ranked recite committed there but are going elsewhere!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ivy will not take a 3.4, heard straight from the mouth of an Ivy coach. Gave the nod to the Hopkins coach to go on the kid. "" I would take the kid in a second but I can't get a 3.4 thru admissions, even with a 30 on ACT".

I heard it on the sidelines after a prospect camp over the summer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ivy will not take a 3.4, heard straight from the mouth of an Ivy coach. Gave the nod to the Hopkins coach to go on the kid. "" I would take the kid in a second but I can't get a 3.4 thru admissions, even with a 30 on ACT".

You should do a little research on how the Ivy's work.

Are you familiar with the AI? Not every kid being recruited at an Ivy has to have the same grades and test scores. The more the coach wants the player the lower their AI can be. If a player is of average ability but has off the chart grades and test scores he might get recruited in order to help bring the AI Average up so the coach can recruit the stud that he really wants.

Every situation is different and there is a wide range to each recruiting class. That said, all of the recruits must be strong students but they do not need 4.0's and perfect test scores.

User
User

No you didn't.

Back of the Cage
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Here how I have been told Academic Index works. The AI as people call it is based on certain criteria. There’s only one universal truth about the Academic Index: If you have an A.I. below 171, you cannot be admitted to an Ivy League school as an athlete. The Ivy League is unforgiving on this point, no matter how good the athlete.

For those at or above 171, the meaning of the Academic Index varies from school to school.

To precisely determine an athlete’s recruitability, the Ivy League segments all A.I.s above 171 into four “bands.” Bands at each school are defined by the statistical make-up of the school's current freshman class. In each school, therefore, the numbers associated with the bands differ. The universal rules that define the bands are as follows (if you're an Ivy League recruit, bear with this description; you should be able to understand it):

High band: This bands starts with the school's mean Academic Index, and ranges down to one standard deviation below the mean. ("Standard deviation" is defined as measure of the range of variation within a group. Typically, 68% of all data points fall within one standard deviation; 95% fall within two. In the case of the Ivy League Academic Index, one standard deviation reportedly varies from 12-16 points per school.)

Medium band: Goes from one standard deviation to two standard deviations below the mean.

Low band: Goes from two standard deviations to two-and-a-half standard deviations below the mean.

Low-Low band: Ranges from two-and-a-half standard deviations down to the minimum A.I. of 171.

Using this system, an Ivy League school with a mean Academic Index of 210 and a standard deviation of 14 would have its bands defined as follows:

High: 197-210
Med: 183-196
Low: 176-182
Low-Low: 171-175

Ivy League schools rarely, if ever, publish their mean A.I.s. It is assumed, however, that Harvard, Yale, and Princeton (in that order) have the three highest mean figures, probably at or around 220. According to the book, "Playing the Game," Dartmouth usually falls fourth at approximately 212, followed (in order) by Columbia, Pennsylvania, Brown, and Cornell.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game
Here how I have been told Academic Index works. The AI as people call it is based on certain criteria. There’s only one universal truth about the Academic Index: If you have an A.I. below 171, you cannot be admitted to an Ivy League school as an athlete. The Ivy League is unforgiving on this point, no matter how good the athlete.

For those at or above 171, the meaning of the Academic Index varies from school to school.

To precisely determine an athlete’s recruitability, the Ivy League segments all A.I.s above 171 into four “bands.” Bands at each school are defined by the statistical make-up of the school's current freshman class. In each school, therefore, the numbers associated with the bands differ. The universal rules that define the bands are as follows (if you're an Ivy League recruit, bear with this description; you should be able to understand it):

High band: This bands starts with the school's mean Academic Index, and ranges down to one standard deviation below the mean. ("Standard deviation" is defined as measure of the range of variation within a group. Typically, 68% of all data points fall within one standard deviation; 95% fall within two. In the case of the Ivy League Academic Index, one standard deviation reportedly varies from 12-16 points per school.)

Medium band: Goes from one standard deviation to two standard deviations below the mean.

Low band: Goes from two standard deviations to two-and-a-half standard deviations below the mean.

Low-Low band: Ranges from two-and-a-half standard deviations down to the minimum A.I. of 171.

Using this system, an Ivy League school with a mean Academic Index of 210 and a standard deviation of 14 would have its bands defined as follows:

Ivy League schools rarely, if ever, publish their mean A.I.s. It is assumed, however, that Harvard, Yale, and Princeton (in that order) have the three highest mean figures, probably at or around 220. According to the book, "Playing the Game," Dartmouth usually falls fourth at approximately 212, followed (in order) by Columbia, Pennsylvania, Brown, and Cornell.

Well, that makes perfect sense and supports my argument that kids with 3.4 are not going to Harvard or Princeton!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your talking Hopkins, agreed. The real top, nope. Which is exactly why some top ranked recite committed there but are going elsewhere!

I think you've been soundly proven wrong above...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you've been soundly proven wrong above...

No way, I personally know two kids that needed to commit to different schools because of grades . They committed to top Ivies and are both standout players, but grades were good, but not good enough. They both wound up at great top 20 schools. I think what you are not understanding, is that there is a big difference between 1,2 and 3, and the rest.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great info.
How is the A I calculated? How do the arrive at the #?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great info.
How is the A I calculated? How do the arrive at the #?

It is a little more complicated than this calculation but for a good approximation you can use SAT score (no writing) / 10 + unweighted GPA X 20. So a player with a 1400 SAT and a 3.5 would be 140 + 70 = 210.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, that makes perfect sense and supports my argument that kids with 3.4 are not going to Harvard or Princeton!

Wrong again. There are an have been players with more like 3.3 to 3.2 who were admitted to PRINCETON! However, we are talking top 10 player in the country... Sorry but it happens.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wrong again. There are an have been players with more like 3.3 to 3.2 who were admitted to PRINCETON! However, we are talking top 10 player in the country... Sorry but it happens.

What if we all agree that MOST or MANY kids, unless they are an exceptional superstar, aren't going to Princeton or Harvard with a 3.2 or 3.3.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And you are so sure of this how? Your son? A kid with those kind of grades would not make it through. I know of one prominent directors son who got and probably shouldn't have, wound up transferring to MD

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This conversation is silly.
Please stop!
It only pertains to about 2 dozen kids each year from the Lax perspective... going to the Top 3 ivy schools (Which means maybe 6 or 7 from LI).

Can we talk about something more fun like how old the Canadians are or the kids from Ma or MD?

Thanks,

- Everyone that has a realistic expectation that their kid is not going Ivy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please stop!
It only pertains to about 2 dozen kids each year from the Lax perspective... going to the Top 3 ivy schools (Which means maybe 6 or 7 from LI).

Can we talk about something more fun like how old the Canadians are or the kids from Ma or MD?

Thanks,

Haha yes! Ok so how do you all feel about a 2019 kid trading down to a 2020 team who did not even reclass!? I guess there is no reason we all can't just play are kids down if we wanted to. I'm still trying to figure out why someone would do this. Bizarre!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

College must be different, I guess there's no way a wealthy parent can, "Pay to play", for his child like the two attack men on one 2019 team ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cut the $hit people. Really, still picking on 14 year olds. Come on moderators please censor this.

Who saw the vine going around about the kid who decked the "Bully" who smacked around the blind kid. Personally I am all in favor of the bully getting the smack down... but guess what, he also go in trouble.

Your veiled attempt is disgusting.

Mods, Can you at least tell us if the post 135867 & 135883 are from the same person (I mean IP).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
can we instead talk about where the teams may meet up this Fall.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And you are so sure of this how? Your son? A kid with those kind of grades would not make it through. I know of one prominent directors son who got and probably shouldn't have, wound up transferring to MD

The point was whether or not a kid could get in with a 3.4. the reality is they can. staying is another point completely...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Where is the kid playing?

Please stop!

Thanks,

Haha yes! Ok so how do you all feel about a 2019 kid trading down to a 2020 team who did not even reclass!? I guess there is no reason we all can't just play are kids down if we wanted to. I'm still trying to figure out why someone would do this. Bizarre!
Please stop!

Thanks,

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

College must be different, I guess there's no way a wealthy parent can, "Pay to play", for his child like the two attack men on one 2019 team ?

What are you talking about???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have opinions on the value of the Nike Blue Chip event in Charlotte during Nov.? Appreciate it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone's son attend one of the 3d blue chip regionals in Florida last year? My son is a 2020 who got invited and I was wondering whether it is worth the cost and hassle to get down there. He is a d pole and I heard the format is better for short sticks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Save the $$$. Unless he's a stud.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have opinions on the value of the Nike Blue Chip event in Charlotte during Nov.? Appreciate it.

Don't do it. Very few coaches as most were at Philly Freshman.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the Blue Chip in November is a waste of time as all of the best 2019 will be at the Philly Freshman Showcase

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son attended the 3D in January. It was a very well run event at a great venue. As far as it being better for one position over another I can't say. My son is a goalie and did receive an invite to Jake Reed so it was worth it for my son. Plus it got me out of the cold for a few days.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Save the $$$. Unless he's a stud.

LOL, everyone that gets the invite that starts out, your son is the BEST in the country gets sucked in. And it continues, for the small fee of ____ he can come and play with the best! The people that go to this truely believe that their kid is the BEST and don't realize they are just lining someone's pocket

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whats with Revolution having more tryouts? Did they not fill their rosters?

Page 14 of 47 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard