BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,175
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 25 1 2 22 23 24 25
Re: Age Verification
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
SCPAL board had the opportunity implement a photo registration system like football and actually voted it down. Start there.

Do you really think the major Long Island tournament organizers who are affiliated, owned or dependent to the major clubs need or want US Lacrosse in Maryland to "sanction" their tournaments to get teams to play?

Give me a break. USL is a joke here on LI. May as well get the tournaments certified kosher by a Rabi or blessed by the church.
YUP SCPAL voted it down, it was close though, one vote, I found it funny that after many years in SCPAL virtually every team who I know cheats voted no

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

User
User
SCPAL board had the opportunity implement a photo registration system like football and actually voted it down. Start there.

Do you really think the major Long Island tournament organizers who are affiliated, owned or dependent to the major clubs need or want US Lacrosse in Maryland to "sanction" their tournaments to get teams to play?

Give me a break. USL is a joke here on LI. May as well get the tournaments certified kosher by a Rabi or blessed by the church.
YUP SCPAL voted it down, it was close though, one vote, I found it funny that after many years in SCPAL virtually every team who I know cheats voted no

To the poster saying "USL is a joke on LI" please answer this.
If SCPAL voted DOWN the use of ID cards and measures to clean up the game on LI then doesn't that make SCPAL a joke?
USL is in the process of implementing measures to help fix our game for the entire USA and SCPAL can't even clean up one county.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Scpal is a joke. But don't bet on USL doing anything in the hotbed areas including LI in our lifetime.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, clearly it is only edge lacrosse reclassifying kids. Sweetlax, Crabs, 91, LI, Mesa, Clams, Denver elite,3d noooooooooo none of them do it. Quit bashing our Canadian friends who add so much to this game.

Get your facts straight. Edge doesn't reclassify. They register their teams down an age bracket. There is a very significant difference. It's systemic.

Oddly, I didn't see Edge Lacrosse at any of the "premier" tournaments our club attended. Where was Edge this summer?
Parents reclassify kids, Edge Lacrosse enters teams in divisions one year younger than their age/grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I talked to our USL representative and it does sound like they are focused on this issue. My opinion is that 8/1 is a better cutoff than 9/1 these days.

Still, so many AA teams have older kids that I don't see the l33t recruiting tournaments following suit. But hopefully at least a few recruiting tournaments will use USL. And the regional tournaments where the vast majority of kids play can be made fairer and safer.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
JS has been very vocal on social media about getting involved to stop the cheating holdbacks for athletic purposes. Great job Joe! Sadly other coaches are doing the opposite and actually holding their kids back, shameful!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really???? He should start in his own backyard then.
That's absurd.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
JS has been very vocal on social media about getting involved to stop the cheating holdbacks for athletic purposes. Great job Joe! Sadly other coaches are doing the opposite and actually holding their kids back, shameful!

This is a joke right ??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Get the insurance companies involved if you want change. There has to be actuarial numbers that show something. How is it that Hockey and soccer have been successful in implementing an age based system and U.S. Lax has been impotent in their "attempts"?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When the big programs own so many of the tournaments and showcases why would they change. Also, the big clubs are doing their best to support each other and we will soon have regional oligopolies if this continues.then change will be even more difficult. Maybe best route to change would be the college coaches signing a pact to only attend age based events and not to recruit before Jr year in HS. Even though it wouldn't necessarily be binding, I am sure that some college presidents would take issue with a coach who didn't keep their word if the NCAA won't. Does anyone know how to start an online petition?
Originally Posted by The Hop
To answer the comment that "US Lacrosse has no balls" I will say this.
After meeting with a USL rep the answer seems simple enough.
Privately run tournaments that are not sanctioned by USL can obviously not be controlled by them. Private tournent directors can choose to look the other way and concerning age classification and they certainly do.

One of the measures currently in place it to have USL sanction these tournaments giving them the ability to oversee many aspects including age.

I wonder how many clubs and/or parents will not allow their teams and kids to play in Un-sanctioned USL tournaments.

If the US Lacrosse logo and signage is visible then it is sanctioned.
If you see the logo and signage at a private un-sanctioned tournament you need to contact USL in Baltimore immediately.

How many of you would support US Lacrosse sanctioned tournaments and avoid the private ones? That's the real question.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Get the insurance companies involved if you want change. There has to be actuarial numbers that show something. How is it that Hockey and soccer have been successful in implementing an age based system and U.S. Lax has been impotent in their "attempts"?

The insurance companies aren't going to do anything. The reality is middle school football has 200 lb kids playing against 100 lb kids and has no problem getting insurance. Why? Because it really isn't as dangerous as you think.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many of you would support US Lacrosse sanctioned tournaments and avoid the private ones? That's the real question.
[/quote]

I think a lot more than people think. I haven't seen any promoted for the younger youth though. I'd support even & fair play for age groups all day.

All the other sports are sanctioned and being played by age. I hope lacrosse follows suit & stops the youth "redshirting".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe best route to change would be the college coaches signing a pact to only attend age based events and not to recruit before Jr year in HS.

Classic post - in one sentence you want to play age based but get recruited grade based.....lol..... so you want college coaches to volunteer to sign a pact that would make their job 100x's more difficult by making tournaments age based and then only let them start recruiting on a grade base.

Age based tournaments are never going to happen on the HS level and they should not. I don't want my 9th grader playing against 8th graders because they are the same age, I want my 9th grader to play against other 9th graders that he is competing with for recruiting - IMHO

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe best route to change would be the college coaches signing a pact to only attend age based events and not to recruit before Jr year in HS.

Classic post - in one sentence you want to play age based but get recruited grade based.....lol..... so you want college coaches to volunteer to sign a pact that would make their job 100x's more difficult by making tournaments age based and then only let them start recruiting on a grade base.

Age based tournaments are never going to happen on the HS level and they should not. I don't want my 9th grader playing against 8th graders because they are the same age, I want my 9th grader to play against other 9th graders that he is competing with for recruiting - IMHO

Why not make it like hockey? Club is birth year all the way up, while high school is grade based. If a kid wants to take 2 extra years for high school, fine. But it shouldn't come at the expense of other players in club/youth sports. Only a fraction of club players are actually going D1, the rest are trying to have some fun and maybe, just maybe, get lucky and have a college coach at some level send them an email. It's for those kids that the sport needs rules. The top on age kids don't matter, they will compete just fine with holdbacks. But it's those bottom kids that are new to lax or are from developing lax areas that grow the game. If they come out to a tourney and get mauled by teams full of repeats, they aren't going to have much fun and are more likely to not only quit themselves, but also choose other sports for their own kids one day.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why not make it like hockey? Club is birth year all the way up, while high school is grade based. If a kid wants to take 2 extra years for high school, fine. But it shouldn't come at the expense of other players in club/youth sports. Only a fraction of club players are actually going D1, the rest are trying to have some fun and maybe, just maybe, get lucky and have a college coach at some level send them an email. It's for those kids that the sport needs rules. The top on age kids don't matter, they will compete just fine with holdbacks. But it's those bottom kids that are new to lax or are from developing lax areas that grow the game. If they come out to a tourney and get mauled by teams full of repeats, they aren't going to have much fun and are more likely to not only quit themselves, but also choose other sports for their own kids one day.

I agree about the small percentage of lacrosse players that will eventually play D1 but in lacrosse D1 is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and that is precisely why tournaments MUST stay grade based - so it can help the kids get recruited by playing against kids in their same HS graduation year

Hockey is aged based and that works for them because the pot of gold at the end of the hockey rainbow is the NHL draft for 17 year old kids and it is age based so kids playing against the same age are also competing with the kids they are competing with to get drafted

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The insurance companies aren't going to do anything. The reality is middle school football has 200 lb kids playing against 100 lb kids and has no problem getting insurance. Why? Because it really isn't as dangerous as you think.

please do not compare MS sports to a club scene.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US Lacrosse Adopts New Player Segmentation Policy

US Lacrosse today announced a new player segmentation policy to ensure player safety, competitive fairness and a consistent experience for youth lacrosse. The US Lacrosse Board of Directors approved the policy in January, and it takes effect Sept. 1, 2017 (earlier adoption is encouraged).
Policy highlights include grouping players by single-age years, using Sept. 1 as the determining date for a player's age and as the first day of a 12-month playing calendar, and standardizing nomenclature that lists the age first, i.e., 12U.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That all sounds great, but will tournaments follow their lead? Doubt it. So we will continue to see monsters on the field with a meaningless graduating year displayed on the back of their jerseys.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Age based or grade based, it's no big deal. Funny how all the dads on LI kept crying to get a change made. Sorry your sons are good enough. You're in for a shock when he gets into HS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is it that the people in this sport ignore US Lacrosse? I find it stunning that USL publishes these things after doing a task force and all, but seriously, how did it get to the point where nobody follows or cares about USL and merely goes off doing privately insured events? If someone posted this USL news on the Crabs Lacrosse thread on this forum, you'd literally be laughed off the board in less than an hour.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why not Jan 1st to Dec 31st? Why split up friends that play the sport together? So if a kid is born Aug 31st and his friend is born on Sept 2nd that is going to make a difference in size and weight for safety? Who comes up with this stuff?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That all sounds great, but will tournaments follow their lead? Doubt it. So we will continue to see monsters on the field with a meaningless graduating year displayed on the back of their jerseys.

I don't think it would be up to the tournys to police. The onus would be on the club. Very simple, US Lacrosse provides a photo player card just like they do in soccer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why not Jan 1st to Dec 31st? Why split up friends that play the sport together? So if a kid is born Aug 31st and his friend is born on Sept 2nd that is going to make a difference in size and weight for safety? Who comes up with this stuff?

Read the US Lacrosse release. They are attempting to align with school systems so kids in the same grade will basically be playing together.
If they made it calendar, people would say the same thing about Dec/Jan. Not everyone will be happy but a step in the right direction.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What about the friends who are born Dec 31 and January 2? The line has to be drawn somewhere, and you can't avoid friends being on opposite sides of the line. As a hockey dad and lacrosse dad, I can say that hockey does this MUCH better. It is strictly age based using a Jan 1 - Dec 31 calendar. All players are registered through their clubs with USA hockey and a standard, uniform game sheet is used for every game. The sheet contains the full roster (name and uniform number) of every kid, and the form is in triplicate. A copy for every game goes to the league and/or USA hockey with each team getting a copy. Every HC signs off on every sheet. There is absolutely no shenanigans and I have never suspected my kids were playing against older kids. At the highest level (AAA), at which only the best of the best can play, its only single year vs single year (2005 vs 2005, etc). At all other levels, they combine two years (Squirt for this year was 2005 and 2006; PeeWee was 2003 and 2004), but teams often have one year or the other and position themselves in leagues and tournaments accordingly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Google: Texas football paralyzed. Not dangerous?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What about the friends who are born Dec 31 and January 2? The line has to be drawn somewhere, and you can't avoid friends being on opposite sides of the line. As a hockey dad and lacrosse dad, I can say that hockey does this MUCH better. It is strictly age based using a Jan 1 - Dec 31 calendar. All players are registered through their clubs with USA hockey and a standard, uniform game sheet is used for every game. The sheet contains the full roster (name and uniform number) of every kid, and the form is in triplicate. A copy for every game goes to the league and/or USA hockey with each team getting a copy. Every HC signs off on every sheet. There is absolutely no shenanigans and I have never suspected my kids were playing against older kids. At the highest level (AAA), at which only the best of the best can play, its only single year vs single year (2005 vs 2005, etc). At all other levels, they combine two years (Squirt for this year was 2005 and 2006; PeeWee was 2003 and 2004), but teams often have one year or the other and position themselves in leagues and tournaments accordingly.

Completely agree. Someone will always miss the cut off. Kids make friends with other kids and do not have to play on the same team as their classmates. My son plays club with kids from all over the place- not his hometown friends. Same for hockey- they make new friends and teams change a bit each year due to cuts. It should be cut and dry and while Sept 1st is a start- the birth year makes more sense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Edge 2020 are kids born in 2001. Last fall we played in Richmond Rumble in the 2019 division and Adrenaline Leesburg Va 2019 and Crabs Autumn Fest 2020. In Richmond we played Team Carolina after game I asked Carolina Coach what year kids born he replies 2000. So they were older Leesburg VA we play West Coast Stars they were late 99's and 2000,s. Next day we play at Autumn Crabs. I suspect some of the teams there except the Crab's were 2002 (younger) So you tell us. We believe the rules should be like Hockey play your birth year. Sept 1 cutoff and half our team plays 2020 still. That date invites cheating birth year doesn't.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Edge 2020 are kids born in 2001. Last fall we played in Richmond Rumble in the 2019 division and Adrenaline Leesburg Va 2019 and Crabs Autumn Fest 2020. In Richmond we played Team Carolina after game I asked Carolina Coach what year kids born he replies 2000. So they were older Leesburg VA we play West Coast Stars they were late 99's and 2000,s. Next day we play at Autumn Crabs. I suspect some of the teams there except the Crab's were 2002 (younger) So you tell us. We believe the rules should be like Hockey play your birth year. Sept 1 cutoff and half our team plays 2020 still. That date invites cheating birth year doesn't.

so where would a nov 2002 play under that cutoff?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your website says 2001 birth dates are 2019. A 2020 team with all 2001 would be much older than most 2020 US teams even in states with 9/1 school year cutoff.

Our 2019 (2001) team is preparing for an exciting and competitive fall ball season! Our members recognize that this is an important fall season for the 2019 class as the level of play and competition increases entering HS. We've assembled a group of talented and hardworking student athletes, who understand the necessary time and effort required on the field and in the classroom to achieve their goals of NCAA lacrosse.

This fall, the 2019 (01) team will travel to 2 highly competitive US events, where they hope to achieve success as a team and compete against some of the top teams across the US.

Age/Grade Eligibility - 2001 Born players

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1998 u 19 1999 u 18 2000 u 17 2001 u 16 2002 u15 2003 u 14 in hockey that is [lacrosse] Senior(born 98) grade 12 [lacrosse] Junior (born 99) grade 11 Minor [lacrosse] (born 00)grade 10 Bantam (born 2001) grade 9 Minor Bantam (born 2002)grade 8. Peewee (born 2003)grade 7 pretty simple no hold backs no playing down a year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
we played two tournaments 2019 and two 2020..2019's were older and 2020's were younger. Can't tell you why maybe it was regional

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1998 u 19 1999 u 18 2000 u 17 2001 u 16 2002 u15 2003 u 14 in hockey that is [lacrosse] Senior(born 98) grade 12 [lacrosse] Junior (born 99) grade 11 Minor [lacrosse] (born 00)grade 10 Bantam (born 2001) grade 9 Minor Bantam (born 2002)grade 8. Peewee (born 2003)grade 7 pretty simple no hold backs no playing down a year.

are the U break downs above incorrect.. I thought the correct breakdown is.

1998 u18
1999 u17
2000 u16
2001 u15
2002 u14
2003 u13
2004 u12
2005 u11

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The date cutoff invites cheating? Are you soft? First of all, your kids are a year old if they are 2020's born in '01 unless their birthdays are after 9/1. So you are why the lacrosse community needs to change. Second, a year grouping is a year grouping. Calendar year or school year dates don't change that fact. Neither encourages or discourages cheating more. And everyone else, stop whining about whether your kid will play w their friends etc. It is time for this sport to grow up and have kids playing in proper age brackets. Stop all the whining and get on board. It is best for the kids and best for the sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The date cutoff invites cheating? Are you soft? First of all, your kids are a year old if they are 2020's born in '01 unless their birthdays are after 9/1. So you are why the lacrosse community needs to change. Second, a year grouping is a year grouping. Calendar year or school year dates don't change that fact. Neither encourages or discourages cheating more. And everyone else, stop whining about whether your kid will play w their friends etc. It is time for this sport to grow up and have kids playing in proper age brackets. Stop all the whining and get on board. It is best for the kids and best for the sport.

This is spot on. Pick a grouping and stick with it. Parents (not kids) need to grow up already. Same crying is happening on the WSYL forum. Everyone wants to get rid of grade based teams until it impacts their kids advantage and then they don't want it any longer.

If Johnny wants to play with his friends, he can play PAL. Otherwise mommy and daddy can help him get his big boy pants on and play in his age group. Stop crying and start playing!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Late 1999- My son is a late 1999 and he plays on High school varsity as a sophomore. He would destroy 2020 kids- which is not saying much- except how ridiculous it is getting

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Late 1999- My son is a late 1999 and he plays on High school varsity as a sophomore. He would destroy 2020 kids- which is not saying much- except how ridiculous it is getting

New development on the Age Verification fore front... New website called Athletic Passports. Son was required to fill it out in order to participate in a team recruiting event. Not sure yet on how it will be used to filter out holdbacks, but it sure is a step in the right direction...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

New development on the Age Verification fore front... New website called Athletic Passports. Son was required to fill it out in order to participate in a team recruiting event. Not sure yet on how it will be used to filter out holdbacks, but it sure is a step in the right direction...

would like to see this enforced. not sure how this will get done. got pay a nominal fee $10 for 2 years. Sorry I dnot trust it. Not giving my sons info away on an unproven site.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

would like to see this enforced. not sure how this will get done. got pay a nominal fee $10 for 2 years. Sorry I dnot trust it. Not giving my sons info away on an unproven site.

you will if he wants to play...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is on the younger side so I'm all for age verification, but I think this age passport thing is nonsense. Why is it only good for two years? His DOB isn't going to change in two years. Money scam

No doubt there's a profit motive, however, 10 bucks is 2 cups of coffee for gods sake. If it starts turning the tide, I'm all for it. Mines already committed, so no real impact here. I just think it has to change.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is on the younger side so I'm all for age verification, but I think this age passport thing is nonsense. Why is it only good for two years? His DOB isn't going to change in two years. Money scam

Ehh because kids change their appearance.

Like Reply Quote
Page 24 of 25 1 2 22 23 24 25
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard