BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 30 1 2 3 4 29 30
Re: Girls 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
by Bandits he/she may be referring to how some travel lax directors steal parents $$ to have their son/daughter play in the program?...

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
clearly you are the expert on girls travl lax on LI....Elevate?....

What other team on LI besides YJ would beat Elevate? TG in this age group isnequal to elevate? Elevate plays all top teams in this age group.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
I'm new to travel teams last year was my daughter's first travel season. Looking to expand but trying to feel out all these teams. I have a question can anyone give me some insight on Legacy and Team 91.

Please be more specific as to what you are looking for. Are you looking for a stronger team? If so, where are you now? Legacy had no 2021 team last year.

Legacy had 2021 players on the 2020 Teal team. I'm sure they will field a competitive 2021 team next summer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is there a particular age group when you refer to Elevate?...otherwise you sound like a DK mouthpiece...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is there a particular age group when you refer to Elevate?...otherwise you sound like a DK mouthpiece...

I know you just got your power back on at the trailer park after the storm last night - so just to bring you up to speed until the alcohol wears off - you are in a girls 2021 thread so that would be the gender and age we are discussing here.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BLUE DEVILS is a good sound club... Usually good showings in the tournaments they enter which is about 4-5 in the summer. Fraction of the cost of other programs . They have a 2021, 23 and 24 team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ouch...that hurts....coming from someone who has his 75' Vega up on bocks in his South Shore driveway....but good one, nonetheless..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Gg1j18
Bandits and top guns

I think they are referring to the Brookhaven Bandits

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter played for the blue devils great experience

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There used to be a window block on the left side of this website page that had all the website links to all the girls teams. At this time of the year all these people are looking around and asking questions about what teams/options are available, that link window was a great resource for people. I know that over the years BOTC moves things around, restructures the pages and elements on the page. Did this list of girls club links get moved somewhere or is it gone?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
There used to be a window block on the left side of this website page that had all the website links to all the girls teams. At this time of the year all these people are looking around and asking questions about what teams/options are available, that link window was a great resource for people. I know that over the years BOTC moves things around, restructures the pages and elements on the page. Did this list of girls club links get moved somewhere or is it gone?

It has been removed and will not be back.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is anyone playing winter ball ? If so where? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone go to tryouts? Did Legacy have enough girls for a team tonight?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Legacy had enough for 2 teams. Lots of TG bags on the sidelines.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like Legacy, Elevate, will be the top teams in this age group on the Island.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like Legacy, Elevate, will be the top teams in this age group on the Island.

It seems when editing you may have left out some teams . Nice job mods

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It seems when editing you may have left out some teams . Nice job mods

Not a YJ person or fan, but they are a top team in this age as well, if not the top after this summer (things can change year to year)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I assume you are kidding? M&D and YJ are heads and shoulders above every other team at this age group. M&D will be even better this year with 7 new players. I assume YJ added talent as well. Good luck to Legacy and Elevate this year. You will need it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why only 18 girls listed for the 2021 Legacy team? i thought someone on here posted that there were enough girls at try outs for 2 teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I assume you are kidding? M&D and YJ are heads and shoulders above every other team at this age group. M&D will be even better this year with 7 new players. I assume YJ added talent as well. Good luck to Legacy and Elevate this year. You will need it.

YJ has not held tryouts yet but anyone have any ifo about that team? My daughter is thinking aobut going, how hard will it be to get on A or B

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ has not held tryouts yet but anyone have any ifo about that team? My daughter is thinking aobut going, how hard will it be to get on A or B

A team is nearly impossible unless you are a tremendous talent, last year they didn't add very many to b team either. Though the b team is significantly weaker. Actually weaker than TG's b team and Liberty's b team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A team is nearly impossible unless you are a tremendous talent, last year they didn't add very many to b team either. Though the b team is significantly weaker. Actually weaker than TG's b team and Liberty's b team.

Maybe so but the B team is going to get a lot stronger when 3 A girls move down.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great read, loaded with information in choosing the right Club for your daughter!

by Trevor Tierney NCAA Assistant Coach University of Denver
THE "BEST TEAM" MAY NOT BE WHAT IS BEST FOR OUR KIDS

“And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.” - Batman Begins

Don’t get me wrong here. I love all of the players, parents and families that I get to work with in sports. I would not want to be doing anything else with my life! But lately, I have been bewildered by a phenomena that seems to be growing in youth athletics. There is a constant search amongst parents and players to be on the “best team” that wins the most games and tournaments. It is no longer enough for our children to play on a local youth or high school team and enjoy the experience of playing sports. Furthermore, it is no longer even enough for our children to play on a good club travel team that plays well together, is competitive with other great teams from around the country and has top-notch coaching. Rather, there is a “grass is greener” mentality amongst parents and young athletes who are on the constant lookout for the absolute greatest team to be a part of.

There are a lot of factors driving all of this. It is partly due to the parent’s misconception that the better their child’s team, the better their chances for recruitment and success down the road (by the way, college coaches do not even know the scores of the high school games that they are scouting—they only notice who is 6’4”, 225 and runs like a gazelle in the Serengeti). I believe that this mentality runs deeper than that though and we have simply lost touch of what sports are all about. You know when you watch the people on a reality show like Honey Boo Boo or Swamp People and you say, “man…those people are nuts!”? Well, I hate to tell you, that is all of us in sports right now! We are those crazy people. And for the past few years, this perception of making sure our children win all the time and at all costs has become utterly mind-boggling. Every single game in sports, one team wins and one team loses. That’s just the way it works. It is completely narcissistic for us to think that we ourselves (or our child) should never lose. What fun would sports be if we knew that we were going to win every time anyway?

Every great athlete and coach that I know has had their fair share of ups and downs. Even though my claim to lacrosse fame is that I won two NCAA National Championships, a MLL Championship and a FIL World Championship with Team USA, I also got my butt kicked a whole lot along the way! My youth teams were disgraceful, my high school team had some serious rough patches, I can’t even count how many goals Syracuse scored on me at Princeton over the years and I was on the only USA team that lost in the World Championships since 1978 for goodness sake! Even Michael Jordan (who I apologize for even mentioning in the same paragraph as my athletic career) admitted in a commercial, “I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” The point is, that no matter what an athlete does in their career, they will have some wins and they will have some losses. Trying to control that is not going to change anything. Furthermore, there is actually something about the pursuit of always winning that is detrimental to our children’s development as athletes and as people.

As I have pondered this mindset that we are witnessing in youth sports for the past few years, I knew something was wrong. I just didn’t know how to explain it, other than sounding like a grumpy old curmudgeon. The fact is though, there is scientific evidence that shows that we should actually want our children to lose! Again, as I have written time and again, I am not saying that athletes should not care about trying to win and just act like it does not matter. And I am certainly not an advocate for the “everyone gets a trophy” mentality. Our young athletes should care deeply about trying to win and be their best. And when they go into competition and want nothing more than to win that game, it will be absolutely fantastic for them when they lose! Before you think I have been hit in the head with too many lacrosse balls (which is completely factual), let me explain further.

In the past month, I have been fortunate enough to study under one of our country’s leading researchers on human resilience at Harvard, Dr. Shelly Carson. As soon as I sat in our first lecture, the lightbulb flashed on! I started to realize that when we want our child to play on the most dominant team, we are completely missing the boat on how sports build resilience for young men and women. This is not just me blabbing about it either. There is decades of research being compiled by people much smarter than me (surprising I know) that explains how we all develop resilience and how this leads to overall happiness, well-being and success. And isn’t that what we really want for our children?

I am starting to understand how sports are actually the perfect set up for resilience training as losses are very stressful and a challenging adversity for young athletes to face. From this perspective, you realize that no one is going to die, get seriously injured, get cancer, lose a family member, get dumped by their girlfriend (and if so, good riddance I say), lose their home, get thrown in jail, fail out of school, or face anything truly tragic from losing a game. And while I might be sounding trite here, the sad fact is that all of us will face one or several of these things at some point in our life. Nobody’s existence on this earth is perfect. We all encounter some serious adversity whether we like it or not. With that being the case, don’t we want our kids to learn how to deal with it in a skillful manner?

In the field of psychology, resiliency has been defined by Luthar (2000) as, “the ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change . . . a positive adaptation within the context of significant adversity,” (as cited in Carson lecture, 2014). So, not only do the skills of resiliency allow people to overcome and recover from tragic experiences in their lives, but resilient people also flourish, grow and experience tremendous well-being and success in their lives. And that is exactly what we want for our children. I will take that over any win, any tournament championship and any trophy. The best aspect of athletics, in my mind, is that it teaches us resiliency, the ability to endure, overcome and find greatness in our lives. As coaches and parents, all we have to do is be positive and supportive of our children no matter if they win or lose. We just have to be there for them as they learn to get back up and keep moving on with their heads held high. That is how our youth can learn to deal with life on life’s terms and develop as strong individuals. What a great gift that is to bring our children and I cannot think of a more powerful way to do it than through athletics!

There are a lot of ways in which resiliency can be taught through sports, which I will go into some more detail down the road. For right now, I will pass along that one of the most effective ways in handling a stressor is utilizing "problem-focused coping", which means taking an active approach towards finding a solution. In summation, I will pass along what I tell my players and parents on our Denver Elite lacrosse teams. Instead of finding a better team to play on, find a way to make your team better. This is how you can truly learn to win something of lasting value through the sports.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why only 18 girls listed for the 2021 Legacy team? i thought someone on here posted that there were enough girls at try outs for 2 teams.

Most clubs cap the top teams at 18-20 so they can play to win and keep everyone happy - 2 middie lines, 6 attack, 6 defenders and 2 goalies. That's probably the best mix for a comnpetitive team, everyone plays and the bottom five kids on the larger size teams who would be sitting the bench in all the close games aren't really needed in the blowouts. I here this model may be coming to YJ 2020 & 2021 teams this year, parents are complaining about unnecessary dead weight at the bottom of the rosters, at some point 26 kids and one ball doesn't work

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good read, thanks for posting

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most clubs cap the top teams at 18-20 so they can play to win and keep everyone happy - 2 middie lines, 6 attack, 6 defenders and 2 goalies. That's probably the best mix for a comnpetitive team, everyone plays and the bottom five kids on the larger size teams who would be sitting the bench in all the close games aren't really needed in the blowouts. I here this model may be coming to YJ 2020 & 2021 teams this year, parents are complaining about unnecessary dead weight at the bottom of the rosters, at some point 26 kids and one ball doesn't work

Hahahahah. That made my weekend. Yea OK. I guess legacy now has become a not for profit organization. Face it......they didn't have enough for 2 teams. Where is the little man who keeps saying all the TG girls have left.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hahahahah. That made my weekend. Yea OK. I guess legacy now has become a not for profit organization. Face it......they didn't have enough for 2 teams. Where is the little man who keeps saying all the TG girls have left.

Everyone makes comments without hearing the whole story. I had a conversation with the director and was told they are only filling rosters with players they feel will contribute. I heard they could have filled 3 teams easily at 2020 but are running only two quality teams. They seem to be angling to build a quality program that will be competitive with quality, professional coaching. Not loaded with inexperienced college players who can't communicate with parents and kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great piece by Tierney. Where did you find it?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree about Legacy 2020 blue. Very good team. Easy does it on Teal team, not even close to competing against good B teams

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree about Legacy 2020 blue. Very good team. Easy does it on Teal team, not even close to competing against good B teams

That's funny! I'm guessing you don't consider TG Purple a good B team. Legacy Teal whipped them easily this year. You didn't hear about it?? Stop trying to discredit that team, Legacy has 2 strong teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great piece by Tierney. Where did you find it?

TG recently sent an email with it to all its players in an effort to explain to them that winning doesn't matter, just send in your check and stop worrying about being a competitive team

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please take this back to your 2020 thread, you did not have a 2021 team this year nor do we wish to hear about next years, we all know your trying to great a buzz about your girls program at all age groups. Only two top programs on Long Island, YJ & TG, the rest can fight it out for third. Thank you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please take this back to your 2020 thread, you did not have a 2021 team this year nor do we wish to hear about next years, we all know your trying to great a buzz about your girls program at all age groups. Only two top programs on Long Island, YJ & TG, the rest can fight it out for third. Thank you.

Did you enjoy your trip in the time machine Marty? TG is not one of the top 2 programs on LI - and 2021 was never near the top.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, That's all you got out of reading that. Pretty sad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Biff, just remember your program or new program did not develop any talent, they just stole it from other clubs. In the end character counts, but your not worried about that. I'm guessing your one of those people that sulks in the background complains and does absolutely nothing, except spread your poison to those weak minded followers. Enjoy your program, in sure next year you'll be moving on again, you know the grass is greener over there!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Biff, just remember your program or new program did not develop any talent, they just stole it from other clubs. In the end character counts, but your not worried about that. I'm guessing your one of those people that sulks in the background complains and does absolutely nothing, except spread your poison to those weak minded followers. Enjoy your program, in sure next year you'll be moving on again, you know the grass is greener over there!

The part-time flip flop girls didn't develop any talent either - they just attracted it with their big name director.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In a an affiliated paper product that we get once a month, that we are all required to be a member of, but can not speak its name here for some reason.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will TG 2021 be participating in any fall tournaments or are they unable to because their coaches are all back in school?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will TG 2021 be participating in any fall tournaments or are they unable to because their coaches are all back in school?

No. Only 17s and 18s do fall tournaments thru TG. Any fall tournaments for this age must be set up by a parent.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. Only 17s and 18s do fall tournaments thru TG. Any fall tournaments for this age must be set up by a parent.

OK troll......if you are on the team email the directors. If you are not on the team.....you dont know and its not your business....go elsewhere..

Page 2 of 30 1 2 3 4 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard