BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Boys 2018-10th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If this was truly the case, the programs should state what positions they are looking to fill and have a more productive try-out looking at those positions. Not 100 kids showing up for a 1 1/2 tryout.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How in the world do you expect these clubs to make $70,000 at tryouts for only a few spots.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And give up the $100 try-out fee.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They could charge $70,000 for that one available spot.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clubs should charge $500 for a tryout, if the kid makes the team the $500 becomes the down payment if he chooses to not play on the team he loses the $500 and if he gets cut he gets a FULL refund - it would really cut out a lot of the BS -

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think you'd all really surprised how many spots really ARE up for grabs...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have any suggestions on which fall individual as well as team events are the best to attend/will have the highest turnout of college coaches?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
every team does have their short list of players they want to keep and then there are several positions that will be open. if a great player comes along, then the program will definitely find a home or move another player.

it is about fielding the best team to attract the money

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with a lot of what you said here but you did leave out one huge factor. The TOP clubs definitely PUSH their kids on college coaches. I have personally witnessed a top club coach badgering a college coach between games at a tournament about taking one of "his" kids. They make up a significant number of the commits for the 2018 class. So yeah, it absolutely matters what club your playing for.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
There are about 125 to 150 2018 recruited so far out of a possible 650. Most schools will try and recruit 6 early and 6 later if possible. The lower level d1 have trouble recruiting early and some do not do it at all.
Top teams have most recruits but lower level teams have some.
it does not matter what team you play on if your son is talented they will be recruited.
Best way to get recruited is go to schools prospect camp and rip it up.

Best way to get recruited is to be a very good player on one of the Top Club Teams. Crabs, Sweetlax, 91, Laxachussets, FCA, Express, HHH, Dukes, Etc...

The Top Club Teams play in tournaments that attract the most college coaches and most certainly all of the Coaches from the best college programs.

The recruiting circuit has evolved over the past few years. This past summer saw select tournaments that had many of the Top D1 coaches (Head Coaches) all over the 2018 and 2019 games.

College coaches want to see kids play against the best competition. If your kid is a great player but he is not playing with a team that goes to the top tournaments it will be harder for him to get on a coaches radar.

If your son is a very good player but playing against some random HS or club teams in second tier tournaments the recruiting road will be more difficult than that of an similar player playing for 91's top team.

Showcases and Prospect camps are good but college coaches want to see the kid play in a team setting against the best competition possible.

If there are 100 plus 2018 boys committed, the large majority of them all play club and I bet most play for a Top Club Team. The top 8 - 12 kids from the Top 10 - 12 Club Teams is where the current 2018 commits are from.

Most likely if you are not on one of those teams you are not on the radar at this time.

Good or bad, that is the way it seems to be and I don't think it will change any time soon. Ask the 2018 kids that are committed if they think they would be committed if they played for a lesser known club in less competitive tournaments.

All of this does not mean that a kid who does not play for a top club will not find a place to play, it just means it will likely take a little longer and he may have fewer options.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great post. I would like to add that you definitely have to be extremely proactive when it comes to this process. My son is getting interest from several D1's and every one of them has talked to my son about "owning" the process. Send out your video, go to the prospect days, call and email the coaches with updates, have your club coach and high school coach follow up, etc. The club lax circuit can certainly be a money pit if you dont spend your time and money wisely. Be patient and most importantly be realistic. I dont subscribe to the "if hes a good player theyll find him" mantra. There are plenty of kids that get passed by because they were waiting for a coach to find them. If your son wants to play at the next level, he has to make it happen.

Agree with just about everything you said and will add a few more observations.

I think not only do you need to be on a good team, but you need to be on a good team (preferably one that has one team per age group) that proactively advocates its players to coaches in advance of tournaments where the team will be playing. The attention span of coaches at recruiting events seems to be about 10 seconds, and unless a kid makes an all star game, or is playing in one of the small team events, the summer club season can be a real crap shoot.

My son played on a very mediocre team that happened to get into top quality tournaments such as Crab Feast, Legacy, and the Philly Invitational and to your point almost no coaches were watching them despite have a handful of legitimate DI prospects. What was most surprising is even when they were playing adjacent some strong teams such as 91 Extreme, Laxachusetts, Mesa Fresh, and others there were not a lot of coaches even watching those games. So my takeaway is you can't necessarily rely on the team circuit to get you much exposure.

I put a lot less credence on the mantra that if you are good they will find you, but as you pointed out prospect days are one way to get noticed even if you are not on a great team. That's what worked for my son, and now he has serious interest from several schools and it was all from individual
stuff.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just asking opinion on showcases on LI this fall for individuals. which one is better the fall classic in November for individuals or run with the best in October?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does not matter what team you are on if your son can play he will get noticed.-period-
Happen to my son
Go to schools showcase if your son can play he will get noticed.
When I talked to head coach he hardly new what were top teams at each age group-he was actually asking me who teams were.
Best way by far to get noticed is schools showcase

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does not matter what team you are on if your son can play he will get noticed.-period-
Happen to my son
When I talked to head coach he hardly new what were top teams at each age group-he was actually asking me who teams were.

What level program? Most ACC know the big names. Give me a division and conference please.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are the top individual showcases to play in for 2018's his fall?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Happen to my son

What level program? Most ACC know the big names. Give me a division and conference please.

The the following schools account for 150 - 160 of the current 2018 commits (maybe as high as 180). I am sure that just about all of the boys committed to the following schools play for a top tier club team. The coaches from the schools listed have been watching these boys since their rising freshmen summer. If you are not competing at the tournaments that the top clubs go to it will be very difficult to get a spot at one of the schools listed. They can't commit you if they do not see you and they do not commit kids after watching a one day prospect camp. Coaches like to watch a kid play multiple times and they want to see him play against the best competition.

I know there are many other schools, I just listed a variety of the top athletic / academic institutions. Also, the schools that the majority of kids and parents that I know would like to attend if given the choice.

Air Force - 13
Army - 3
Brown - 5
Cornell - 2
Dartmouth - 3
Denver - 8
Duke - 8
Harvard - 2 - 3
Hopkins - 13
Lehigh - 4
Loyola - 3
Maryland - 10
Michigan - 11
Navy - 4
Carolina - 11
Notre Dame - 3
Ohio State - 7
Penn - 9
Penn State - 8
Princeton - 2 - 3
Syracuse - 12
Virginia - 9
Yale - 2 - 3

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Recruiting Rundown lists 2018 commits along with club name.

For thus of us entering into this process for the first time and whose kid is not on one of those named programs, hard to know what to do. A poster above talks about how his son's team went to three big-name tournaments and there were almost no coaches on the sidelines. And it's easy to see all the midlevel clubs that go to these big-name tournaments side by side with the named clubs and all of them combined might only have a couple of commits.

Is all the talent that concentrated? Seems doubtful. Do you work the system to get your kid to play (but not practice if you are distant) with these big-name clubs? Focus on prospect days? Showcases (and folks keep asking which ones)? Or do you just let your kid develop into the best HS player he can be and figure if he's good enough to play - really play - at the DI level and has good grades, he'll end up with a great program even if he just goes to his local ACC or Big 10 school (on the 60% in-state scholarship).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Recruiting Rundown lists 2018 commits along with club name.

For thus of us entering into this process for the first time and whose kid is not on one of those named programs, hard to know what to do. A poster above talks about how his son's team went to three big-name tournaments and there were almost no coaches on the sidelines. And it's easy to see all the midlevel clubs that go to these big-name tournaments side by side with the named clubs and all of them combined might only have a couple of commits.

Is all the talent that concentrated? Seems doubtful. Do you work the system to get your kid to play (but not practice if you are distant) with these big-name clubs? Focus on prospect days? Showcases (and folks keep asking which ones)? Or do you just let your kid develop into the best HS player he can be and figure if he's good enough to play - really play - at the DI level and has good grades, he'll end up with a great program even if he just goes to his local ACC or Big 10 school (on the 60% in-state scholarship).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is one of the 2018 commits and I will share his experience. He is fortunate to play for one of the top club teams and has a coach that knows what tournaments to play at and is able to get him the invites to the individual showcases. He got on the radar of some coaches in the fall of his 9th grade year by playing at some of top team tournaments and at Philly Freshman Showcase. Then in June and July his coach had the team play at tournaments that had at least 15-20 D1 coaches on the sidelines at each game. My son attended Blackcard, Jake Reed and Maverick Showtime which are individual showcases that needed invites and were loaded with coaches. In his experience, Blackcard was the showcase the got him the most attention and put him on the map for many top D1 schools. He did not attend any prospect camps simply because it would have been too much lacrosse and honestly we couldn't afford it. I'm sure everyone's recruiting process is a bit different. Just sharing what worked for my son. I am not sure if I believe that if you're good it doesn't matter, you will be seen. This may work for a handful of kids, but I do not feel that is the norm. These players may be very deserving of a spot on a top D1 school, but may not have had the exposure. In addition to lacrosse, grades are huge. If my son did not have the grades, this really would have limited his choices. I know the process can be overwhelming. Good luck to your son.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
recruiting--haven't typed here in a while but will share my long winded thoughts. No snarky responses required...

I do not think there is one best answer or one best option. People keep asking do I need to have the big club, which tournament, which showcase, prospect days...

all any of us can do is put our boys in the best possible position and there are many ways to accomplish. I don't think big club experience is a requirement, but let's all be clear that it certainly doesn't hurt. Why do you think the college coaches line the sidelines of 91/express/crab/all the top clubs/ games? Because they think that they have the best shot of seeing the most talent when the best teams are playing, makes sense from their perspective and is basic time management. Go where the odds of finding a player to fit your team are the highest.

That doesn't mean that they won't find other boys on other fields where the top teams aren't playing, it just means that because they have limited time to recruit, they are trying to see as much as possible in that time. So, if I was in their shoes, would I travel to some small tourny to potentially see that one kid, or would I travel to the big team tourny to potentially see many kids...

That said, I would stay away from B teams on these big clubs as they will certainly not put you in a position to get noticed and even if they do get to the "right " tourny, those college coaches will always want to know why you are not playing on the A team...

One thing that worked for us (and we have big team experience) tell the coaches of the schools that your son thinks are a good fit, here is my highlight film I am playing at these three tournaments this summer and would love a chance for you to see me play. Follow through and follow up. If they have a prospect camp, make sure you go and before you get their send an email saying --i am really excited to attend your camp next week. can't wait to meet you and here is my gpa through 9th grade. I want to be an engineer and your school has a great program...

No matter what anyone says, unless your are the one in a million athlete, it is hard to get noticed. If your son is that one in a million kid--everyone already knows you and him and it doesn't matter where you play. If he is not that kid, you need to be proactive. Hoping that your kid that gets a few minutes on varsity as a 10th grader gets noticed, is a long shot, of course, his odds are better if he is getting those minutes on one of the big name lax schools--sme, smw , wm, garden city, syosset, pequa, wi... But if he is getting minutes at bayshore or longwood, coaches not nearly as likely of finding him.

So, spend your time and your dollars wisely by focusing on the schools where you have the right grades and the right environment for your boys. Not spending alot of time on harvard if your kid is a solid B student. Not spending alot of time looking at Holy Cross if you cant afford the tuition and won't get financial aid.

Spend your time and resources the same way the college coaches do--understanding your son and his brains and athletic ability, your pocketbook and the odds of success at any particular school.

Understand who else is already committed to that school-if you are a fogo or a goalie, spending time on a school that already committed one in your age is probably not the right approach...

And after doing all of the above, I know several boys that didn't get committed, after they got over it, they picked up the stick and their college of choice and joined the club team at that school and are having the time of their lives without the 40 hour work week required to play d-1, high level d-2 or d3...

For all you parents, enjoy this time because it is coming to an end quickly. If it all works out for your son great, congratulations, but don't put more pressure on these kids. This is a sport with no future earning potential and limited scholarship dollars. Have fun, always remember that is why they picked up the stick to begin with...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soundest advice yet!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your child needs to have an idea on what he/she wants to to do and if lacrosse was not part of their life, would the go to the school.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
recruiting--haven't typed here in a while but will share my long winded thoughts. No snarky responses required...

I do not think there is one best answer or one best option. People keep asking do I need to have the big club, which tournament, which showcase, prospect days...

all any of us can do is put our boys in the best possible position and there are many ways to accomplish. I don't think big club experience is a requirement, but let's all be clear that it certainly doesn't hurt. Why do you think the college coaches line the sidelines of 91/express/crab/all the top clubs/ games? Because they think that they have the best shot of seeing the most talent when the best teams are playing, makes sense from their perspective and is basic time management. Go where the odds of finding a player to fit your team are the highest.

That doesn't mean that they won't find other boys on other fields where the top teams aren't playing, it just means that because they have limited time to recruit, they are trying to see as much as possible in that time. So, if I was in their shoes, would I travel to some small tourny to potentially see that one kid, or would I travel to the big team tourny to potentially see many kids...

That said, I would stay away from B teams on these big clubs as they will certainly not put you in a position to get noticed and even if they do get to the "right " tourny, those college coaches will always want to know why you are not playing on the A team...

One thing that worked for us (and we have big team experience) tell the coaches of the schools that your son thinks are a good fit, here is my highlight film I am playing at these three tournaments this summer and would love a chance for you to see me play. Follow through and follow up. If they have a prospect camp, make sure you go and before you get their send an email saying --i am really excited to attend your camp next week. can't wait to meet you and here is my gpa through 9th grade. I want to be an engineer and your school has a great program...

No matter what anyone says, unless your are the one in a million athlete, it is hard to get noticed. If your son is that one in a million kid--everyone already knows you and him and it doesn't matter where you play. If he is not that kid, you need to be proactive. Hoping that your kid that gets a few minutes on varsity as a 10th grader gets noticed, is a long shot, of course, his odds are better if he is getting those minutes on one of the big name lax schools--sme, smw , wm, garden city, syosset, pequa, wi... But if he is getting minutes at bayshore or longwood, coaches not nearly as likely of finding him.

So, spend your time and your dollars wisely by focusing on the schools where you have the right grades and the right environment for your boys. Not spending alot of time on harvard if your kid is a solid B student. Not spending alot of time looking at Holy Cross if you cant afford the tuition and won't get financial aid.

Spend your time and resources the same way the college coaches do--understanding your son and his brains and athletic ability, your pocketbook and the odds of success at any particular school.

Understand who else is already committed to that school-if you are a fogo or a goalie, spending time on a school that already committed one in your age is probably not the right approach...

And after doing all of the above, I know several boys that didn't get committed, after they got over it, they picked up the stick and their college of choice and joined the club team at that school and are having the time of their lives without the 40 hour work week required to play d-1, high level d-2 or d3...

For all you parents, enjoy this time because it is coming to an end quickly. If it all works out for your son great, congratulations, but don't put more pressure on these kids. This is a sport with no future earning potential and limited scholarship dollars. Have fun, always remember that is why they picked up the stick to begin with...

This should be on every recruiting thread, well said!!!

JB
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is one of the 2018 commits and I will share his experience. He is fortunate to play for one of the top club teams and has a coach that knows what tournaments to play at and is able to get him the invites to the individual showcases. He got on the radar of some coaches in the fall of his 9th grade year by playing at some of top team tournaments and at Philly Freshman Showcase. Then in June and July his coach had the team play at tournaments that had at least 15-20 D1 coaches on the sidelines at each game. My son attended Blackcard, Jake Reed and Maverick Showtime which are individual showcases that needed invites and were loaded with coaches. In his experience, Blackcard was the showcase the got him the most attention and put him on the map for many top D1 schools. He did not attend any prospect camps simply because it would have been too much lacrosse and honestly we couldn't afford it. I'm sure everyone's recruiting process is a bit different. Just sharing what worked for my son. I am not sure if I believe that if you're good it doesn't matter, you will be seen. This may work for a handful of kids, but I do not feel that is the norm. These players may be very deserving of a spot on a top D1 school, but may not have had the exposure. In addition to lacrosse, grades are huge. If my son did not have the grades, this really would have limited his choices. I know the process can be overwhelming. Good luck to your son.

Congrats to you and your son - Thanks for sharing your story

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great advice - thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many tournaments did Outlaws 2018 Black or 2018 AA as they will be called win during the 2015 summer season in the top division? Is the team going to have the expanded roster? With Smithtown East and West announcing they will be having a summer season next summer will you be able accommodating for the fact that many of these players will not be at 4 tournaments if they make the team .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many tournaments did Outlaws 2018 Black or 2018 AA as they will be called win during the 2015 summer season in the top division? Is the team going to have the expanded roster? With Smithtown East and West announcing they will be having a summer season next summer will you be able accommodating for the fact that many of these players will not be at 4 tournaments if they make the team .

why don't you contact them directly and ask

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Isn't this what this forum is for? Ask questions and get answers. I can answer the posters question. Pretty sure they didn't win a single tournament other than the Blue and Gold at Hofstra playing in the B division.

B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Isn't this what this forum is for? Ask questions and get answers. I can answer the posters question. Pretty sure they didn't win a single tournament other than the Blue and Gold at Hofstra playing in the B division.

The Outlaws have a thread. They may not see your question here. Go post in their thread if you want accurate information.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At this age why do you care so much about how many tournaments the team wins? That should be your least concern

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At this age why do you care so much about how many tournaments the team wins? That should be your least concern

Wins certainly aren't everything at this age , but it's not irrelevant. If you get beat up and never make playoffs at tournaments , coaches will leave games and less exposure if not in playoffs.

Need to be competitive in a competitive tournament.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Isn't team play part of the equation? Is it really all about individual play and showcasing your skills only. That's what individual showcases and prospect days are for. Look at 91 Extreme, Team Long Island, Express Terps, FCA, Sweet Lax, Laxachussets Black and all other top teams. They are always in the mix at tournaments and more coaches come to watch the semi finals and finals of tournaments where they will be seeing the best teams filled with the best players. This is my opinion. You can go to all the top tournaments you want but if you barely win a game or two that's not good for recruiting. Losing every game at a tournament isn't really that good of a thing, is it? Are you more concerned with padding your stats versus weak teams or competing against the best and actually being in the game. Winning in the top brackets attracts more coaches to watching your team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Curious how the Bluefish tryout went?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Swimmingly!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Swimmingly!

Don't take the bait!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Swimmingly!

Don't take the bait!

Too late!! I'm hooked!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With the additions of all the new High School Varsity coaches as directors for Outlaws who's players are going to get priority. Will it be Smithtown East Smithtown West, Cold Spring Harbor, or Walt Whitman players getting the preferential tratment. So there will be an A, B and C or as club teams like to say an AA, A, B.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Express results are out. Team "Channy" has 40 something players. Basically the Terps + Wolves + a handful of other players. He is splitting those players up and bringing them to recruiting tournaments. Team "Moran" is basically the third team + kids from the Wolves he didn't want. He tried to do this a coupe of years ago. Terps and Terps Black. It did not go well...Good Luck to those 40 something kids who had no idea this was the way he was going pick the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Express results are out. Team "Channy" has 40 something players. Basically the Terps + Wolves + a handful of other players. He is splitting those players up and bringing them to recruiting tournaments. Team "Moran" is basically the third team + kids from the Wolves he didn't want. He tried to do this a coupe of years ago. Terps and Terps Black. It did not go well...Good Luck to those 40 something kids who had no idea this was the way he was going pick the team.

Is this true?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With the additions of all the new High School Varsity coaches as directors for Outlaws who's players are going to get priority. Will it be Smithtown East Smithtown West, Cold Spring Harbor, or Walt Whitman players getting the preferential tratment. So there will be an A, B and C or as club teams like to say an AA, A, B.

The best kids will get the priority.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

The best kids will get priority.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard