BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Travel tips for the tournament season
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I'm curious about what all you other parents bring along for the weekends away (also trying to refresh my memory!). The things that work for you, tricks you've learned, that sort of thing.

For me, besides the obvious chair, umbrella and coolers (one for me with wheels and a small one for the player with her water and a cold washcloth), my #1 priority is getting a mini-fridge in my room. That's not always possible but it is so helpful when I am the lucky one. I can re-freeze the ice packs I left home with. We all know the ice wars that go on, so the corollary is getting a room NOT by the ice machines so you don't get woken up to ice traffic before dawn.

It's also good to avoid the elevators. The fact is, kids are going to be roaming the halls and if you've got the early game and are trying to sleep, it's going to be hard. I have a white noise app on my phone that really helps drown out hallway noise.

I don't like to use plastic water bottles, partly because I've heard that when they sit in a hot car, they leach chemicals into the water. I buy gallons of spring water, lug them into the room, and fill reusable bottles for the day.

My daughter is not a big breakfast eater and I am not a chipper morning person so we bring breakfast with us. Usually muffins, yogurt and fruit, and I make the coffee in the room. I've found grapes to be the best fruit to travel with. Melon is only good the first day unless you're really careful and don't let it get squished in transit.

I bring packets of trail mix from Costco, some yogurt if I know we'll get that fridge, and Pringles because the cannisters prevent crushing. Whatever else is around the house and looks like it can travel without causing a huge mess and/or getting ruined comes too.

As for traffic, we are all screwed living on LI. I now am far more familiar than I'd like to be with alternate routes. <grimace> I will recommend a new traffic/nav app. It's called Waze and users input data as they go along, so you get real-time traffic and alerts to road hazards: cops, debris, accidents, cars on the shoulder, construction, etc. It's a power-suck though, so keep your phone charging as you go and make sure to shut it off when you're done using it.

If you're traveling with a teenager, as I am, good luck and God bless. LOL

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Travel tips for the tournament season
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bring Baby Powder!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
That's a new one for me. What do you use the powder for?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like to seperate any food or snacks from the main compartment of the cooler in zip lock bags or old plastic grocery bags so it doesn't get wet as the ice in the cooler melts.

Plenty of ice in the big cooler. I always know where the ice machine is. The extra ice is always useful for those who don't bring enough or cool players off.

Smaller personal size cooler for water bottles and food that doesn't go into the shared team pool.

Frozen wash clothes/towels to cool off players during the day.

Plenty of Advil/Aleve for headaches during the day.

Extra socks/cleats for my son and myself. The grass fields are always wet during the morning games and tends to be cut high.

Hats, suntan lotion, bug spay.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
That's a new one for me. What do you use the powder for?

Was that word play with your screen name???
Anyway, lots of laughs reading your advice as it all rings true. Also try freezing some of your water bottles and juices boxes, first they act as ice, when they defrost they become beverages, this save a lot of space in cooler.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1> Pack adult cooler

2> Bring mad mnney

3> Leave your wife home

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We travel with a teen years pre teen and toddler- still in diapers in tow. You do not even want to know what our car looks like before we leave- we are lucky we can sit in it. he toddler travels with the most! Thanks for the reminders on the frozen wash cloths!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Oh boy, I remember the days of traveling with a toddler (or two) in tow and I don't envy you doing the tourney journey with one. I used to be a heavy packer until I had to make room for baby/toddler gear, that cured me quick!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Surge protector/powerstrip for all the electronics, air mattress, collapsable wagon from BJ's has been helpful, extra cleats and socks, extra mouthguard, ........

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I forgot the Purex 3-in-1 sheets, one sheet is detergent, fabric softener and dryer sheet. No spill, very lightweight, no space taken up, very portable.

These are great ideas everyone, thanks for playing along! I got my memory jogged about a number of things that are key, like ziploc bagging food items in the cooler so they don't get soggy from melting ice.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
As a girls team coach for almost a decade, let me share these items that were always in my coach's bag :

[1] Complete first aid kit (Johnson&Johnson $20 type)
[2] Chemical ice packs
[3] Hair ties
[4] Extra jerseys, shorts, socks
[5] Extra towels (dry to start)
[6] Advil/tylenol
[7] Extra copies of directions between fields
[8] Extra copies of schedules
[9] Extra case of water
[10] Jumper cables (for parents cars in the parking lot)
[11] Headbands
[12] Sun screen
[13] Lip balm (multiple tubes)

On the food front, we always found that a couple dozen bananas along with a dozen oranges were good to replenish nutrients in the two hour breaks between matches.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Oh boy, I remember the days of traveling with a toddler (or two) in tow and I don't envy you doing the tourney journey with one. I used to be a heavy packer until I had to make room for baby/toddler gear, that cured me quick!
Oh Powder, you were always a "Pirate" at heart, weren't you? :-)

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by CageSage
Oh Powder, you were always a "Pirate" at heart, weren't you? :-)

Once a Pirate, always a Pirate! grin My laxer was a pirate fan in a baby sling and now the pirate is away and can't come cheer for the laxer. She keeps track of these things.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Once a Pirate, always a Pirate! grin My laxer was a pirate fan in a baby sling and now the pirate is away and can't come cheer for the laxer. She keeps track of these things.
I admit it ... this brought a smile to my face.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chairs

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Almost forgot the most important thing. Big plastic bag to airlock stinky cleats in. Essential for the car ride, especially on the way home after a hot, wet tournament.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard