BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Men's U19 final 30
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
congratulations to the 8 Long Island players who advanced to the final 30 man roster for the 2016 U19 championships

Attack Tyler Dunn Manhasset (N.Y.) 2015 Penn
Attack Mac O'Keefe Syosset (N.Y.) 2016 Penn State
Defense Matthew Borges Garden City (N.Y.) 2015 Ohio State
Defense Thomas Wright Garden City (N.Y.) 2015 Penn State
F/O James Sullivan Garden City (N.Y.) 2015 Harvard
F/O Austin Henningsen Northport (N.Y.) 2015 Maryland
F/O Gerard Arceri Smithtown East (N.Y.) 2016 Penn State
Midfield Joe Licciardi St Anthony's (N.Y.) 2015 Penn

I tried to capture the spirit of the thing
Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Men's U19 final 30
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congratulations to the boys moving on! Awesome accomplishment. However, based on the performance at the blue/white game, there were a few that I thought should have been cut, and others that should have made it through. Such as an LI attackman with two goals, and a fogo cut who clearly had a higher percentage win. A couple kids that did absolutely nothing got through because of the state they are from or to make sure the team had some diversity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congratulations boys! Great job!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's weird that almost all the Ohio St. recruits got picked. And, there is a kid from Alabama on the team??? Really. Good thing this isn't political. (sarc) How did that Concannon kid not make the team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
It's weird that almost all the Ohio St. recruits got picked. And, there is a kid from Alabama on the team??? Really. Good thing this isn't political. (sarc) How did that Concannon kid not make the team?

its all BS

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

its all BS

I wouldn't say that. Many of the best ranked kids in the country are on this team. You will never make everyone happy, but cuts needed to be made and I believe for the most part they got it right.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

its all BS

I wouldn't say that. Many of the best ranked kids in the country are on this team. You will never make everyone happy, but cuts needed to be made and I believe for the most part they got it right.

4 commits from Ohio State (Head Coach of U19 Team), 4 from UPenn (Assistant Coach of U19 Team), 4 from Penn State (Assistant Coach of U19 Team), coincidence?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No McCormick from NC ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

its all BS

4 commits from Ohio State (Head Coach of U19 Team), 4 from UPenn (Assistant Coach of U19 Team), 4 from Penn State (Assistant Coach of U19 Team), coincidence?

to the victor go the spoils. same politics as our local tryouts when club owners pick the teams and stack them with their own clubs kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

its all BS

And 3 from both Virginia and NC. How about being happy for the well deserving boys who made it and stop undermining their accomplishments. Politics will always be a factor in life, get over it and wish the team luck!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

its all BS

And 3 from both Virginia and NC. How about being happy for the well deserving boys who made it and stop undermining their accomplishments. Politics will always be a factor in life, get over it and wish the team luck!

I'm very happy for all 30 kids, just pointing out a set of facts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was not there and did not see all that went into the selections but was surprised one of the F/O's made it based on his 25% win percentage in the scrimmage.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am VERY happy and impressed with the current u19 roster. BUT, stacking the team with Nick Myers OSU kids, plus the U Penn kids and Penn St kids is nothing but political BS. There is a kid on the roster from Alabama that is going to Ohio St. ALABAMA for crying out loud. Is lacrosse even a HS varsity sport in that state? It's just like club tryouts. If they lose, then he will be skewered.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am VERY happy and impressed with the current u19 roster. BUT, stacking the team with Nick Myers OSU kids, plus the U Penn kids and Penn St kids is nothing but political BS. There is a kid on the roster from Alabama that is going to Ohio St. ALABAMA for crying out loud. Is lacrosse even a HS varsity sport in that state? It's just like club tryouts. If they lose, then he will be skewered.

I get the OSU, PSU and Penn argument but saying a kid does not deserve it for geographical reasons is really stupid. either the kid can play of he can not play even if he is from Baltimore

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is a kid on the roster from Alabama that is going to Ohio St. ALABAMA for crying out loud. Is lacrosse even a HS varsity sport in that state? It's just like club tryouts. If they lose, then he will be skewered. [/quote]

What a ridiculous comment; the kid might be from Alabama, but you sound like the hillbilly

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was at the scrimmage. The Alabama kid was legit and stood out. Credit to him to be at that level without playing against top notch competition as frequently as others.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
face off ? one spot given to a totally overrated guy who has been anointed for yrs. never lived up to the hype. the mojo still works tho , got picked again off nothing

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was not there and did not see all that went into the selections but was surprised one of the F/O's made it based on his 25% win percentage in the scrimmage.

Maybe he had a bad day, is usually very good, the best at first tryout. But if they decided to give him another chance they should have given the kid they cut another chance as well, especially after he was the second best in the scrimmage. And what's up with the kid that only played the field, but was taken as a fogo without actually taking any faceoffs?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed. Bizarre.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
looks like another loss to Canada on the way

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know it is very hard for you LI people to believe, but there are actually very good lacrosse players out there that are not from LI...
You are so funny

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe he had a bad day, is usually very good, the best at first tryout. But if they decided to give him another chance they should have given the kid they cut another chance as well, especially after he was the second best in the scrimmage. And what's up with the kid that only played the field, but was taken as a fogo without actually taking any faceoffs?

And he wasn't from PSU or OSU! So looks like there are some other favors going on!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And he wasn't from PSU or OSU! So looks like there are some other favors going on!

These teams are already pre set ..only going thru the motions here..wake up ..I guarantee there will be at least a few kids from GC and Manhasset on this team. always is just to keep those kids coming back. Yes it's a shame but it is what it is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe this is the first year the the U19 team is being run by college coaches. In the past years, the team was run by a group of top HS coaches from places like Haverford and Delbarton. They were then overseen by Flatey from US lacrosse and of GC HS fame. Using this model, U19 only lost 1 game in the history of the U19 World Championships. Why fix what wasn't broken to begin with?

Let's be honest and just admit that Nick Myers and his assistants from PSU and U Penn picked their guys. Hopefully, this won't be at the expense of the Championship. I know you aren't supposed to pick the best players, but the best pieces in order to make a TEAM. The lacrosse landscape is changing and the Canadians are better than they have ever been before. Maybe this system will work, but I am very doubtful.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

These teams are already pre set ..only going thru the motions here..wake up ..I guarantee there will be at least a few kids from GC and Manhasset on this team. always is just to keep those kids coming back. Yes it's a shame but it is what it is.

3 from GC and only 1 from Manhasset. GC didn't even make the County B Finals this year, yet they have 3 of the best players in the country?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe this is the first year the the U19 team is being run by college coaches. In the past years, the team was run by a group of top HS coaches from places like Haverford and Delbarton. They were then overseen by Flatey from US lacrosse and of GC HS fame. Using this model, U19 only lost 1 game in the history of the U19 World Championships. Why fix what wasn't broken to begin with?

Let's be honest and just admit that Nick Myers and his assistants from PSU and U Penn picked their guys. Hopefully, this won't be at the expense of the Championship. I know you aren't supposed to pick the best players, but the best pieces in order to make a TEAM. The lacrosse landscape is changing and the Canadians are better than they have ever been before. Maybe this system will work, but I am very doubtful.

Several, not all, of "their guys" are regarded as top players in the country. These boys clearly stood out. After watching all of the practices, there were very few cut that didn't deserve to be. That being said, there are a couple of the Coaches players as well as a couple others I can say should have been cut and slipped through somehow. Overall this will be a team featuring the best of the best, most of these boys are really great players. As for the few that slip through, they probably won't play as much, so it won't really affect the outcome. Kind of like travel all over again!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rumor on MD Forum that no Crabs kids made roster--because they're too old! Poetic justice

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rumor on MD Forum that no Crabs kids made roster--because they're too old! Poetic justice

I don't understand this "too old" argument - if you said "no 2015 Crabs made it because they were too old" then I would get it but almost half the kids invited to the 108 player pool were 2016's and I find it hard to believe that none of the 2016 crabs could make that age cut off.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just admit the fix was in. 45% of the team are from the coaches schools. They should be embarrassed. You can't tell me there were no senior attackman across the counrty better than the junior that was selected that will be attending Penn St. Petro has a player attending Hopkins this coming year that should be a little upset considering he won every award possible and they played on the same HS team. In addition they cut the defensemen of the year in Nassau voted on by all the coaches and he played lights out during tryouts. I guess all the Nassau coaches are wrong. He is not attending any of the coaches schools so I am not surprised. 5 face off players still on roster. That will change but still. My only question is what sleeve on game jersey will have Ohio St logo. No problem with kid from Bama. He played well. But well enough ??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just admit the fix was in. 45% of the team are from the coaches schools. They should be embarrassed. You can't tell me there were no senior attackman across the counrty better than the junior that was selected that will be attending Penn St. Petro has a player attending Hopkins this coming year that should be a little upset considering he won every award possible and they played on the same HS team. In addition they cut the defensemen of the year in Nassau voted on by all the coaches and he played lights out during tryouts. I guess all the Nassau coaches are wrong. He is not attending any of the coaches schools so I am not surprised. 5 face off players still on roster. That will change but still. My only question is what sleeve on game jersey will have Ohio St logo. No problem with kid from Bama. He played well. But well enough ??

You mean 36%? Just because you played well in Nassau County, does not mean you automatically are the best when you go up against a selected pool and are not with your teammates. This team was not picked because of HS awards, although it did help them get picked initially. Remember that NC did fall short at championship time. The PSU attackman picked overall did better that his HS teammate. Was a better field player and feeder, just better overall even if he didnt score two goals. I'm actually a big fan of the kid, but there were so many great ones, I agree with the choice. As for fogos, PSU kid was the best by far at the tryout, it would have made sense for them to cut 2-3 which still would have left the OS kid most likely, I was surprised they cut the NC kid being cut, he did well at the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

why even have tryouts? you think they should go by post season awards? well at least those are not political.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How often is the U-19 games? Every two years?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed but you shouldn't get auto bid because you are going to attend the school of the coach either and that is exactly what happened. Did any kid that will be attending Penn St, Penn, or Ohio St even get cut ??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are going to PSU you will be picked over a JHU commit....bottom line.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed but you shouldn't get auto bid because you are going to attend the school of the coach either and that is exactly what happened. Did any kid that will be attending Penn St, Penn, or Ohio St even get cut ??

Yes, if you look at the 1st 100, you will see most of those three Coaches kids were cut 1st round. Some with top HS records. The few remaining deserve to be there. You can't really argue fogo, GC PSU defenseman, haverford attackman. Maybe a couple others could have been on the fence and taken over others on the fence.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
U19 comes around every 4 years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are going to PSU you will be picked over a JHU commit....bottom line.

for years this argument has been going on, why does Penn St always get such high rankings, why does Penn St always get invited the the tournament even when they are a .500 team, poor JHU the Jan Brady of college lacrosse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys are ridiculous. There are some guys who weren't selected initially that could be on this team. There are also guys cut from the 101-51 round or the 51-30 round that could be on this team.

Was there some bias in favor of recruits? Very possibly. But this is not a perfect science. They are trying to win with the best team possible, not the 23 best players in the country.

I liken it to Bob Knight when he coached the 84 Olympic team. He cut guys like Stockton, Barkley and others in favor of Jon Koncack and Joe Klein. He also took his own player, Steve Alford, who was the youngest player and someone few expected to make it.

When asked about the guys cut and those who made it, Knight replied that he went with what would make the best TEAM.

I'm sure other coaches would have selected a different roster, perhaps wildly different. But obviously all of these kids can play and the coaches pick who they think can get the job done, right or wrong.

Accusing them of bias is just a waste of time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys are ridiculous. There are some guys who weren't selected initially that could be on this team. There are also guys cut from the 101-51 round or the 51-30 round that could be on this team.

Was there some bias in favor of recruits? Very possibly. But this is not a perfect science. They are trying to win with the best team possible, not the 23 best players in the country.

I liken it to Bob Knight when he coached the 84 Olympic team. He cut guys like Stockton, Barkley and others in favor of Jon Koncack and Joe Klein. He also took his own player, Steve Alford, who was the youngest player and someone few expected to make it.

When asked about the guys cut and those who made it, Knight replied that he went with what would make the best TEAM.

I'm sure other coaches would have selected a different roster, perhaps wildly different. But obviously all of these kids can play and the coaches pick who they think can get the job done, right or wrong.

Well said!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What he said.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard