BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Boys 2018-10th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
BOTC is opening our Fall 2015 through Summer 2016 thread covering the Boys 2018-10th Grade age group.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys 2018-10th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who is trying out where?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Parent of a younger player here. Curious what reality is on the recuiting front at this age. How many kids from each club team arc committed? 2, 5, 10? You would think based on some loser bloggers that half the class is done at this age group.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are the most competitive tournaments on the summer circuit for the rising 10th grade. Which draw the most college coaches? Best teams? Please respond if your son participated this summer at this age group

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are about 125 to 150 2018 recruited so far out of a possible 650. Most schools will try and recruit 6 early and 6 later if possible. The lower level d1 have trouble recruiting early and some do not do it at all.
Top teams have most recruits but lower level teams have some.
it does not matter what team you play on if your son is talented they will be recruited.
Best way to get recruited is go to schools prospect camp and rip it up.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know about D3 school timelines? When to contact coaches, send video etc? I'm specifically referring to the top D3 schools. I know there aren't any athletic scholarships, but academics will hopefully be a game changer in tuition.

We have learned so much about D1 but very little about D3, other than a few important showcases and the more we look at schools the more we think D3 will help my son go the furthest academically, athletically and career wise.

Thanks for any input.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Parent of a younger player here. Curious what reality is on the recuiting front at this age. How many kids from each club team arc committed? 2, 5, 10? You would think based on some loser bloggers that half the class is done at this age group.

Each year any particular organization can be stronger or weaker but here is the early recruiting (published)list, but there probably others that have not been made public

Checkmate
Gregory Capelle, D, Herricks (N.Y.) - AIR FORCE
Legacy, LI Express
Steven Pinto, M, Connetquot (N.Y.) - STONY BROOK
LI Express
Andrew Bonafede, G, Chaminade (N.Y.)   - DUKE
Christian Villani, M, Smithtown E(N.Y.) - MARYLAND
J.P. Lannig, A, Syosset (N.Y.) - MICHIGAN
Will Kusnierek, A - NOTRE DAME
Tate Young, M, Westlake (Tex.) - PENN
Michael Giaquinto, F/0 - PENN STATE
Brady Kenneally - JOHNS HOPKINS
LI Jesters
Tim Ley, A, Massapequa (N.Y.) - BOSTON U.
LI Outlaws
Cole Dutton, M, Garden City (N.Y.) - LAFAYETTE
SweetLax, LI Outlaws
Joe Neuman, F - JOHNS HOPKINS
Team 91
Drew Martin, M, HHHills East (N.Y.) - AIR FORCE
Jordan Ginder, FO - DUKE
Frank Marinello, D, Chaminade (N.Y.) - DUKE
Owen Caputo, M, Middle Creek (N.C.) - DUKE
Michael Gomez, D, HHHills East (N.Y.) - JOHNS HOPKINS
George Wichelns, A, Connetquot (N.Y.) - MARYLAND
Max Verch, LSM - MARYLAND
Alex Bamford, A, Brunswick (Conn.) - MICHIGAN
Chris Nicholas, M, Chaminade (N.Y.) - NORTH CAROLINA
Sean Kuttin, M, Chaminade (N.Y.) - JOHNS HOPKINS
Anthony Tangredi. D, Chaminade (N.Y.) - LEHIGH

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know about D3 school timelines? When to contact coaches, send video etc? I'm specifically referring to the top D3 schools. I know there aren't any athletic scholarships, but academics will hopefully be a game changer in tuition.

We have learned so much about D1 but very little about D3, other than a few important showcases and the more we look at schools the more we think D3 will help my son go the furthest academically, athletically and career wise.

Thanks for any input.

What are the important D3 Showcases? Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for any input.

As most D3 coaches will tell you, if you are interested in D3, you can reach out anytime. There are no rules regulating D3. As for video, some schools will tell you to update after every season, school, summer, fall, winter that is assuming the player plays all year round, if not, just the season played, also, if they play other sports, they like footage of that too.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most if not all d3 will commit after junior year. You will be on their radar as a soph. The high end d3 which includes all Nescac will want a 3 year grade report and an SAT that qualifies. This will get you support from the coach to admissions if they want you as a player. In most cases do your prospect days in the fall of your soph year and junior year to see where you fit and if your son likes the feel of these schools in this space. The coaches are very up front and will communicate openly. Enjoy the visits. Many of the facilities will impress and surprise you.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
D3s generally take their players during the summer between junior and senior year, (after junior year board scores are available), but the "rising junior" summer can be an important one to get on their radar, particularly for NESCAC schools.

For example, the top D3s are finishing up their 2016 classes now and have been looking at 2017s since the start of this past summer. Again, just general time guidelines.

Thanks for any input.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are high schools going to adapt the college face-offs rules?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
D3s generally take their players during the summer between junior and senior year, (after junior year board scores are available), but the "rising junior" summer can be an important one to get on their radar, particularly for NESCAC schools.

For example, the top D3s are finishing up their 2016 classes now and have been looking at 2017s since the start of this past summer. Again, just general time guidelines.

Thanks for any input.

Thank you for the input. As for the showcases- we were told top D3 coaches would be at the big ones that you would expect like Under Armor, to try the New England Top 150 camp, as well as the Prep School showcase and as many prospect days of the schools we think may be fit my son and his interests. These were recommendations, nothing we have personally done. If anyone has other advice, that'd be welcome as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for any input.

Thank you for the input. As for the showcases- we were told top D3 coaches would be at the big ones that you would expect like Under Armor, to try the New England Top 150 camp, as well as the Prep School showcase and as many prospect days of the schools we think may be fit my son and his interests. These were recommendations, nothing we have personally done. If anyone has other advice, that'd be welcome as well.

I wouldn't worry about specifically attending D3 showcases, D3 coaches will start looking at your son's team in his rising junior summer. They really won't look much at younger players unless the player shows interest. My son is a rising junior, and we never noticed D3 coaches until this year, unless you specifically contact them many assume younger players are holding out for D1 offers. Contacting coaches and letting them know your son is interested early in the game would be a good strategy, and attending specific school's prospect days. There is no great rush to commit to a D3 program, most players are rising seniors at the earliest.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes they are. Some states already this past season

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes they are. Some states already this past season

NFHS uses the new rules for 2016 season. Most states/associations play under these rules.

Some associations like MIAA play under NCAA rules and therefore adopted in 2015

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are about 125 to 150 2018 recruited so far out of a possible 650. Most schools will try and recruit 6 early and 6 later if possible. The lower level d1 have trouble recruiting early and some do not do it at all.
it does not matter what team you play on if your son is talented they will be recruited.

There are now 71 D1 teams, so the total number of spots available is more like 725-750 now. Further, it depends on how you determine upper and lower. There are plenty of spots available at very good academic institutions. If your son's primary goal is to go to college to play lacrosse at the highest level, then maybe those "upper spots" are not available. However, if an education is the primary goal, then you're in luck, many spots available at academic schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Top 3 tournaments for AA rising sophomores?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Top 3 tournaments for AA rising sophomores?

one would think that the attendance of a rising sophomore AA would make that tournament a top 3 - how many rising sophomore AA's are there?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Best tournaments for competitive 2018s this summer....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What fall events do you expect to have the most college coaches on the sideline? Can someone more educated than me suggest both individual and team events. Thanks!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Best way to get recruited is to be a very good player on one of the Top Club Teams. Crabs, Sweetlax, 91, Laxachussets, FCA, Express, HHH, Dukes, Etc...

The Top Club Teams play in tournaments that attract the most college coaches and most certainly all of the Coaches from the best college programs.

The recruiting circuit has evolved over the past few years. This past summer saw select tournaments that had many of the Top D1 coaches (Head Coaches) all over the 2018 and 2019 games.

College coaches want to see kids play against the best competition. If your kid is a great player but he is not playing with a team that goes to the top tournaments it will be harder for him to get on a coaches radar.

If your son is a very good player but playing against some random HS or club teams in second tier tournaments the recruiting road will be more difficult than that of an similar player playing for 91's top team.

Showcases and Prospect camps are good but college coaches want to see the kid play in a team setting against the best competition possible.

If there are 100 plus 2018 boys committed, the large majority of them all play club and I bet most play for a Top Club Team. The top 8 - 12 kids from the Top 10 - 12 Club Teams is where the current 2018 commits are from.

Most likely if you are not on one of those teams you are not on the radar at this time.

Good or bad, that is the way it seems to be and I don't think it will change any time soon. Ask the 2018 kids that are committed if they think they would be committed if they played for a lesser known club in less competitive tournaments.

All of this does not mean that a kid who does not play for a top club will not find a place to play, it just means it will likely take a little longer and he may have fewer options.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree with just about everything you said and will add a few more observations.

I think not only do you need to be on a good team, but you need to be on a good team (preferably one that has one team per age group) that proactively advocates its players to coaches in advance of tournaments where the team will be playing. The attention span of coaches at recruiting events seems to be about 10 seconds, and unless a kid makes an all star game, or is playing in one of the small team events, the summer club season can be a real crap shoot.

My son played on a very mediocre team that happened to get into top quality tournaments such as Crab Feast, Legacy, and the Philly Invitational and to your point almost no coaches were watching them despite have a handful of legitimate DI prospects. What was most surprising is even when they were playing adjacent some strong teams such as 91 Extreme, Laxachusetts, Mesa Fresh, and others there were not a lot of coaches even watching those games. So my takeaway is you can't necessarily rely on the team circuit to get you much exposure.

I put a lot less credence on the mantra that if you are good they will find you, but as you pointed out prospect days are one way to get noticed even if you are not on a great team. That's what worked for my son, and now he has serious interest from several schools and it was all from individual
stuff.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree with just about everything you said and will add a few more observations.

I think not only do you need to be on a good team, but you need to be on a good team (preferably one that has one team per age group) that proactively advocates its players to coaches in advance of tournaments where the team will be playing. The attention span of coaches at recruiting events seems to be about 10 seconds, and unless a kid makes an all star game, or is playing in one of the small team events, the summer club season can be a real crap shoot.

My son played on a very mediocre team that happened to get into top quality tournaments such as Crab Feast, Legacy, and the Philly Invitational and to your point almost no coaches were watching them despite have a handful of legitimate DI prospects. What was most surprising is even when they were playing adjacent some strong teams such as 91 Extreme, Laxachusetts, Mesa Fresh, and others there were not a lot of coaches even watching those games. So my takeaway is you can't necessarily rely on the team circuit to get you much exposure.

I put a lot less credence on the mantra that if you are good they will find you, but as you pointed out prospect days are one way to get noticed even if you are not on a great team. That's what worked for my son, and now he has serious interest from several schools and it was all from individual
stuff.

I think its a combination of both tournament and Individual stuff. For my son it seems like the interest came from the tournaments and or showcase, the school strongly suggested he come to their prospect day and the interest either intensified or waned based on the performance at the camp. For most on LI, the process will extend into the summer of between So. and Jr. year and the following summer as well. Just look at the numbers. On average 140-160 kids from LI go D1 every year. Currently, in the 2018 class we have maybe 20-25 commits. Which means the vast majority of 2018 D1 commits have plenty of time to decide.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How was 2018 tryouts ? Any talented goalies?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What tryouts are you referring to?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can someone give insight on team 365 lax someone told me they are very good at getting kids exposure and recruited. Is this true any insight please

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can someone give insight on team 365 lax someone told me they are very good at getting kids exposure and recruited. Is this true any insight please

Not sure about the exposure but they do run a great organization, my son has filled played with them several times and has attended many of their practices and events.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree, club did nothing for my daughter but attending showcases and prospect clinics opened a ton of doors. If I had to do it all over again I would say have your child attend tournaments that have "open teams" and let the coaches if the svhools you're interested in know what games you will be playing. Attend every showcase you can, and contact schools where you would like to play. Use the money you saved from club ball for a few private lessons, and run-they look for speed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have any feedback on this post? I am curious to hear the answer as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree, club did nothing for my daughter but attending showcases and prospect clinics opened a ton of doors. If I had to do it all over again I would say have your child attend tournaments that have "open teams" and let the coaches if the svhools you're interested in know what games you will be playing. Attend every showcase you can, and contact schools where you would like to play. Use the money you saved from club ball for a few private lessons, and run-they look for speed.

Unless your kid comes from a top tier HS, how exactly will they get into the top showcases??? If your not on a top club team on the boys side, you will not get a direct invite to Jake Reed, Showtime or Philly Showcase. The only other way in in is from a well connected proactive HS coach. Many could care less... Not part of any club, but to discount what the club has done for my son in this process is just silly. For the boys side it is bad advise... Unless you're with a lower tier club, in that case I agree with you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure about the exposure but they do run a great organization, my son has filled played with them several times and has attended many of their practices and events.

How many D1, D2, D3 recruits do they have for their 2015 and 2016 teams? This will verify everything you need to know as it relates to the success, or lack there of, the club has with recruiting. Many clubs had 15-20+ recruits for the 2015 age, with many more pending in 2016.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many D1, D2, D3 recruits do they have for their 2015 and 2016 teams? This will verify everything you need to know as it relates to the success, or lack there of, the club has with recruiting. Many clubs had 15-20+ recruits for the 2015 age, with many more pending in 2016.

Most of the kids listed as commits didn't commit from 365. Commited from Viper and 365trying to take credit

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes Viper gateway to top division 1 schools. Laughable

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure any HS coaches have pull with the top showcases unless the coaches are affiliated with a top club as well.

Sad but I think true.

Unless your kid comes from a top tier HS, how exactly will they get into the top showcases??? If your not on a top club team on the boys side, you will not get a direct invite to the major Showcases. The only other way in in is from a well connected proactive HS coach. Many could care less... Not part of any club, but to discount what the club has done for my son in this process is just silly. For the boys side it is bad advise... Unless you're with a lower tier club, in that case I agree with you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure any HS coaches have pull with the top showcases unless the coaches are affiliated with a top club as well.

Sad but I think true.

Unless your kid comes from a top tier HS, how exactly will they get into the top showcases??? If your not on a top club team on the boys side, you will not get a direct invite to the major Showcases. The only other way in in is from a well connected proactive HS coach. Many could care less... Not part of any club, but to discount what the club has done for my son in this process is just silly. For the boys side it is bad advise... Unless you're with a lower tier club, in that case I agree with you.

Do you really think if a top 20 ranked HS coach calls the Director of one of these showcases and says "I have a stud who needs to be this showcase" they won't do it? Of course they will. The HS Coach will have more credibility than a club coach given that the event wants top talent and it is presumed that the HS coaches motivation is more "pure" and free from financial issues with the player he's advocating for.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sad but I think true.

Do you really think if a top 20 ranked HS coach calls the Director of one of these showcases and says "I have a stud who needs to be this showcase" they won't do it? Of course they will. The HS Coach will have more credibility than a club coach given that the event wants top talent and it is presumed that the HS coaches motivation is more "pure" and free from financial issues with the player he's advocating for.

Yes, I think they will not do it.

What HS Coaches are not trying to cash in on the summer $$$$.

Garden City, Syosset, Sachem, Smithtown, Ward Melville ?? Please tell us.

What if the boy plays for a Travel Club, will the High School Coach still make the call for the boy?? After all, the boy does play for the High School Team. Last time I checked, no boy skips High School Lacrosse to play for a Club Team. Does the HS coach only call for the kids who play for his town summer team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sad but I think true.

"is presumed that the HS coaches motivation is more "pure" and free from financial issues" you are kidding... RIGHT!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think if you are in the 2019-2016 graduating years the best club teams have their rosters set. Even if you made on of these teams you probably will receive minimal playing time at select tournaments.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that is not true, there are plenty of good travel programs who are always looking to upgrade in certain positions.

if you son is a player, I promise you he will get his chance to shine.

Especially since the programs base their success on their wins and losses and they will definitely want the best kids on the field

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard