BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 90 1 2 3 4 89 90
Re: Boys 2020-8th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My kid was born November 10 2002 what grade should he be in? I am confused.

Throughout most of the country he would be a 2021 - 7th grader and not considered to be old but rather within the typical age range for his grade

In NY with the late birthday cutoff he may be an 8th grader (2020)

Most Maryland Prep schools as well as most clubs would suggest he reclassify to 2022 class which would make him one year older than his classmates. This would make him more attractive to D1 coaches who ignore age and recruit by class

None of the above is my personal opinion of what is the right thing to do, it is just a statement of fact.

in MD the school cutoff is 9/1 so he'd automatically be 2021 and be on the older spectrum of 2021. It is a complete exaggeration that most prep schools or clubs would encourage fall birthdays to be held back. There is one baltimore school and a club that practices there that seems to encourage repeating 8th grade - with lacrosse or other sport part of the motivation. The prep schools that also have elementary almost always make summer bdays do prefirst. This is when they are 5-6 year old has less to do with sports and more to do with fleecing parents out of an additional year of tuition. Of course some parents are happy to pay that extra coin to make the oldest rather than youngest in class.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Could go either way, going into 7th (2021) or 8th (2020). I dont think anyone would gripe about a boy born in Oct/Nov being entered in the younger year because his parents didnt think he was ready for school yet.

The issue with holdbacks is more around, a boy born in the beginning of the year being intentionally entered in the younger year for an athletic advantage. If you build a team around boys like that, in the younger years that team will have an unfair advantage and could possible be dangerous for the opponents. Its very tricky when you include the contact sport aspect to it (in the younger ages). IMHO.

I think NY parents need to stop griping about these Sept/Oct/Nov birthdays if the play for a younger aged team at any grade level in NY area. That will put our area kids more on par and make it a bit less dangerous for a smaller kid that can potentially be playing kids 2 yrs older. While I never really understood teams that built their team as a u-11, u-13 etc- we shoukd at least be able to align our club teams with the 9/1 cut off- as most if these states also have kids a few months earlier that just weren't ready for kindergarten and may be summer birthdays.

Teams should be built around one set model much like hockey which is far better than a mish mosh of ages all over the place. I do think we will see youth tournaments begin to put an age limit but once the kids are of recruiting age all bets will be off, which will continue to entice families to hold their kid back to play smaller kids so they can get recruited. It's happening because coaches are fueling it. I think things will change as more and more kids decommit and fail to get into their school. The next few years should be interesting to see how age guidelines and recruitment and college team success pans out.

Should be U based and switch to grade based for rising 9th summer. Ultimately hold backs get mixed in with non holdbacks but at least it wouldn't happen until much later on

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Could go either way, going into 7th (2021) or 8th (2020). I dont think anyone would gripe about a boy born in Oct/Nov being entered in the younger year because his parents didnt think he was ready for school yet.

The issue with holdbacks is more around, a boy born in the beginning of the year being intentionally entered in the younger year for an athletic advantage. If you build a team around boys like that, in the younger years that team will have an unfair advantage and could possible be dangerous for the opponents. Its very tricky when you include the contact sport aspect to it (in the younger ages). IMHO.

I think NY parents need to stop griping about these Sept/Oct/Nov birthdays if the play for a younger aged team at any grade level in NY area. That will put our area kids more on par and make it a bit less dangerous for a smaller kid that can potentially be playing kids 2 yrs older. While I never really understood teams that built their team as a u-11, u-13 etc- we shoukd at least be able to align our club teams with the 9/1 cut off- as most if these states also have kids a few months earlier that just weren't ready for kindergarten and may be summer birthdays.

Teams should be built around one set model much like hockey which is far better than a mish mosh of ages all over the place. I do think we will see youth tournaments begin to put an age limit but once the kids are of recruiting age all bets will be off, which will continue to entice families to hold their kid back to play smaller kids so they can get recruited. It's happening because coaches are fueling it. I think things will change as more and more kids decommit and fail to get into their school. The next few years should be interesting to see how age guidelines and recruitment and college team success pans out.

Should be U based and switch to grade based for rising 9th summer. Ultimately hold backs get mixed in with non holdbacks but at least it wouldn't happen until much later on

U based is still 2 age brackets. A new model needs to be built around single year teams for youth.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most teams are formed for the combined Fall/Spring/Summer season (Fall 2015 Summer 2016 - is the same team). You can't change in the summer without also changing in the preceding fall. It is simply too messy for the club directors. This implies that the upcoming fall travel season is when you should see for the first time 2019s who are repeating 8th grade and are now 2020s. Since the 2015 summer season has ended even though your kid has not started 8th grade, unless he plans on reclassing you should start thinking of him on the club/recruiting circuit as a rising 9th grader right now.

The first 2020 will verbally commit well less than a year from now.

U-15 allows 2019 reclasses and 2020s to play together on the same team. Call it U-15 or call it 2020, it is the same thing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Throughout most of the country he would be a 2021 - 7th grader and not considered to be old but rather within the typical age range for his grade

Most Maryland Prep schools as well as most clubs would suggest he reclassify to 2022 class which would make him one year older than his classmates. This would make him more attractive to D1 coaches who ignore age and recruit by class

None of the above is my personal opinion of what is the right thing to do, it is just a statement of fact.

a nov birthday is either considered young or old for the grade; who are you trying to kid. If you believe in a lie long enough you believe it. Just like a march kid used to be considered on the older side in Ny... that is until people stated holding their kids back because they "weren't ready" for kindergarten.

the hold back is to give their kids an advantage at life whether social academic or athletic.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most teams are formed for the combined Fall/Spring/Summer season (Fall 2015 Summer 2016 - is the same team). You can't change in the summer without also changing in the preceding fall. It is simply too messy for the club directors. This implies that the upcoming fall travel season is when you should see for the first time 2019s who are repeating 8th grade and are now 2020s. Since the 2015 summer season has ended even though your kid has not started 8th grade, unless he plans on reclassing you should start thinking of him on the club/recruiting circuit as a rising 9th grader right now.

The first 2020 will verbally commit well less than a year from now.

U-15 allows 2019 reclasses and 2020s to play together on the same team. Call it U-15 or call it 2020, it is the same thing.

So maybe if the age guidelines were still in effect in 8th grade for the Fall and Summer, the reclass situation would not continue to grow, as the kids would have to still play within their age group the summer heading into HS. Might not be ideal for the coaches, but it levels the field a bit more and maintains safety for the younger, smaller kids playing age appropriately. Afterall, holdbacks play down for an advantage, you chip away at the advantage, and it may not continue to happen. A true talented player will stand out among his own aged peers, as well as the younger group. If they continue to want to reclass, they will get their advantage a year later and the coaches still get to see them play the younger kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
7th

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where are the top 2020 playing this Fall??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

a nov birthday is either considered young or old for the grade; who are you trying to kid. If you believe in a lie long enough you believe it. Just like a march kid used to be considered on the older side in Ny... that is until people stated holding their kids back because they "weren't ready" for kindergarten.

the hold back is to give their kids an advantage at life whether social academic or athletic.

Enough with the whining about hold backs. If the kid is truly graduating in 2020 then let them play in that year. If they are not, then that is cheating and a different story. If parents think having their kid finish middle school with a drivers license is the best way to go, more power to them. I think it is moronic as you should just let kids be kids but that's the beauty of America, people are free to do what they want even if I think it is really stupid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody hear any information about the bluefish team that is starting. Any idea who will Coach this age group?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody hear any information about the bluefish team that is starting. Any idea who will Coach this age group?

Heard it might be George Powers, Turtles coach. Should be interesting. Thinking they may be getting a lot of Pequa and Wantagh kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Heard it might be George Powers, Turtles coach. Should be interesting. Thinking they may be getting a lot of Pequa and Wantagh kids.

If it's a great coach, that's very good for the Nassau kids. Woukd be nice to have another A team in this year from Nassau.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True Blue is mostly Pequa kids. Viper mostly Bethpage kids. Both very good Nassau teams in this age group.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True Blue is mostly Pequa kids. Viper mostly Bethpage kids. Both very good Nassau teams in this age group.

Viper last year was
Bethpage
Farmingdale
Port Washington
Hills
Plainedge

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Crabs and fca most likely

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In the Baltimore area

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What tournaments did either of them win this past season (aside from the beach lax fiasco)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So what did the T91 MD tryouts look like today? What helmets were out there?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What tournaments did either of them win this past season (aside from the beach lax fiasco)

Crabs had a great season. They were 27-2 and played the best possible competition. Not too shabby and will likely be even better next year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Crabs had a great season. They were 27-2 and played the best possible competition. Not too shabby and will likely be even better next year.

Unfortunately everyone knows what they are so wherever they show up people will look and wonder which kids don't really belong there - tainted.

I don't know why someone keeps bringing up FCA, they were probably the 5th best team in the area after Crabs, Looneys, Hawks, and Breakers.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So what did the T91 MD tryouts look like today? What helmets were out there?

At 2020, Breakers, Crabs, Koopers helmets were most common but there were a lot of kids with many different helmets represented. A lot of coaches on the field to handle the number of kids trying out and they used both the upper and lower field at St Paul's for drills.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree. Fca 2020 has never won an A tourney.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They brag about beating Looney's while not at full strength.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fair enough I guess

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They will be a totally different team in the coming years, as they will recruit nationally. This is what they do, and how they win moving into the more important years!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They will be a totally different team in the coming years, as they will recruit nationally. This is what they do, and how they win moving into the more important years!

What does that even mean? Families will move to Baltimore so their kids can play for FCA? You're a big FCA fan, we get it, but they haven't done much at 2020.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What does that even mean? Families will move to Baltimore so their kids can play for FCA? You're a big FCA fan, we get it, but they haven't done much at 2020.

You really don't get it? Let me explain, they recruit the best kids frim all over. Ask them to play for free or very little money. The kids show up and and they win the tournament. For example, U15 US lax championship, Lake Placid championship. Sweetlax does the same, they both have many top LI kids playing for these championship winning teams. This is the reality that lies ahead. You may not have seen them win much...yet. that's because it hasn't mattered yet. Big years start now. Do you understand now?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You really don't get it? Let me explain, they recruit the best kids frim all over. Ask them to play for free or very little money. The kids show up and and they win the tournament. For example, U15 US lax championship, Lake Placid championship. Sweetlax does the same, they both have many top LI kids playing for these championship winning teams. This is the reality that lies ahead. You may not have seen them win much...yet. that's because it hasn't mattered yet. Big years start now. Do you understand now?

they have teams that play in vail, lake placid etc that bring kids together from all over. and then they have a club made up if kids in MD. The 2020 md team is very good and may not have won any major tournaments but they did beat Looney's for the spring championship.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

they have teams that play in vail, lake placid etc that bring kids together from all over. and then they have a club made up if kids in MD. The 2020 md team is very good and may not have won any major tournaments but they did beat Looney's for the spring championship.

Sounds like their supremacy is preordained :-)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Better and older

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is the only thing they have, they beat Looney's. News flash, spring league means nothing, it is there to prepare teams for tournament play. 2020 Looneys's had a great tournament season, only losing to 91 by one goal. Looney's played some of the top competition out of LI and overall was successful.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So please enlighten me. When does it matter? I've been around the game a long time and don't think I have ever seen a youth lacrosse club game that mattered. Did the winners get free snowballs?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it true that the looneys face off kid is changing clubs or just rumors

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fca and sweetlax have national teams which is the only way they can compete against the top teams in the country. Hats off to traditional club teams that compete without forming national teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it true that the looneys face off kid is changing clubs or just rumors

No, just FCA parents wishful thinking.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fca and sweetlax have national teams which is the only way they can compete against the top teams in the country. Hats off to traditional club teams that compete without forming national teams.

Fca only uses the national team for a few tournaments like vail. The local teams are just like every other team

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fca only uses the national team for a few tournaments like vail. The local teams are just like every other team

But worse

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But worse

Ok looneys daddy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But worse

Ok looneys daddy

I would never let my son play for that daddy ball organization

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But worse

Ok looneys daddy

I would never let my son play for that daddy ball organization

If looneys FO guy goes to another team their 2020 will pretty much be toast

Page 2 of 90 1 2 3 4 89 90

Link Copied to Clipboard