SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 81 1 2 3 80 81
#128268 - 07/31/15 05:11 AM Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse  
TLaxOne Offline
Back of THE CAGE
TLaxOne  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

This thread will be used to cover the news and discussions of the Fall Lacrosse Leagues for Baltimore and Capital (Maryland, DC, Virginia) areas.

Top Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#128334 - 07/31/15 12:15 PM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: TLaxOne]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

What does everyone think the impact Team 91 MD will have on all the other local clubs?

Top Reply Quote
#128346 - 07/31/15 01:07 PM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: TLaxOne]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

My guess is that 2021 and younger will be fairly strong and 2020 will be okay. They will need to prove their brand works in Baltimore before they will get the older kids.

If they were just south of Baltimore and convenient for the DMV, it would be a different story. They would be able to take players from MADLAX, Hawks, etc.

Top Reply Quote
#128364 - 07/31/15 02:03 PM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

What fall leagues are there?

Top Reply Quote
#128369 - 07/31/15 02:22 PM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous
What fall leagues are there?

Annapolis area: AYLA Fall (Outdoor) - Some club, some rec - starts 9/13 thru 11/1

Bethesda area: Next Level Fall (Outdoor) - Almost all club - starts 9/13 thru 10/25

Baltimore area: Coppermine Box (Indoor) CBLL - starts 9/11 thru 12/13

Any more?

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#128373 - 07/31/15 02:29 PM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

What does everyone think the impact Team 91 MD will have on all the other local clubs?

The impact will be that the Baltimore clubs will become even more diluted and even the best clubs will get a little worse..... LaxWorld, Rock, Wolfpack, Crabs, Breakers, FCA, Looney's, Kooper's, Greene Turtle, etc.

Strong clubs from out of state have tried to crack this scene before and didn't last long..... 3D, United, ???

I would not jump from a club you are happy with thinking 91 will be any better in their 1st year.

Top Reply Quote
#128425 - 07/31/15 09:14 PM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The impact will be that the Baltimore clubs will become even more diluted and even the best clubs will get a little worse..... LaxWorld, Rock, Wolfpack, Crabs, Breakers, FCA, Looney's, Kooper's, Greene Turtle, etc.

Strong clubs from out of state have tried to crack this scene before and didn't last long..... 3D, United, ???

I would not jump from a club you are happy with thinking 91 will be any better in their 1st year.

they could be strong at 2020. Breakers coach at that grade already listed on 91 website. Breakers were among the top 4-5 in MD at 2020. will be interesting to see if all players follow. Breakers is one of the most expensive in balt. Will 91 be more?

Top Reply Quote
#128448 - 08/01/15 09:18 AM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: TLaxOne]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where 3d blew it and Team 91 will blow it is neither centered in Southern Maryland. As a prior poster noted the best strategy is to be somewhere 30 mins south of Baltimore, 30-40 minutes from Annapolis and 20 minutes away from Montgomery County and 40 minutes away from Fairfax County.

Lots of people would exercise a choice and you could draw some people from all those areas and incubate a good club. Setting up shop in Leesburg Virginia was stupid for 3d and alienated the families of the better players they were able to attract. Setting up a me-too version of Madlax or VLC in Fairfax County is equally stupid, and setting up a me-too version of Crabs or FCA in Baltimore is likely the most stupid thing which is what Team 91 is about to do. I see more of the same reading that they are doing tryouts in early August in Baltimore burbs.

It's a loser strategy right out of the box. 3d just blew it. Nobody wants to drive to Leesburg to play with the Battlelax and PVI leftovers. That's a shame considering they have a platform to be a success but just a terrible execution strategy. Ditto with Team 91 Maryland...that will be exciting for about 3 months.

Top Reply Quote
#128458 - 08/01/15 10:34 AM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

they could be strong at 2020. Breakers coach at that grade already listed on 91 website. Breakers were among the top 4-5 in MD at 2020. will be interesting to see if all players follow. Breakers is one of the most expensive in balt. Will 91 be more?

91 focused on building the boys side of the club from bottom up- starting with the little kids and making their teams strong and growing them. They did have older middle school and high school teams at first, but they were not as competitive. As their name got stronger, the older teams because more competitive and as the younger teams aged, they became some of the top teams- example- Extreme, 91 orange 2019, Crush, Smash, united, Heat, Bandits. If they work with the same model- starting with the younger teams and growing the club, they may be just as successful, only time will tell and you may not see success within the first year. I also agree that the 2020 team from the Breakers will be competitive.

I do think that a saturated market is really not great for the sport though, as it dilutes talent over many teams- but it does give the consumer the edge in finding a team and a philosophy that works for their family. Everyone should really research any club you join from philosophy, to the coach and past experiences good and bad from previous players, etc. It is a lot of money to spend and you need to be wise about your decisions, especially if starting young, as there is a long road ahead. Good luck to all!

Top Reply Quote
#128478 - 08/01/15 01:07 PM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where 3d blew it and Team 91 will blow it is neither centered in Southern Maryland. As a prior poster noted the best strategy is to be somewhere 30 mins south of Baltimore, 30-40 minutes from Annapolis and 20 minutes away from Montgomery County and 40 minutes away from Fairfax County.

Lots of people would exercise a choice and you could draw some people from all those areas and incubate a good club. Setting up shop in Leesburg Virginia was stupid for 3d and alienated the families of the better players they were able to attract. Setting up a me-too version of Madlax or VLC in Fairfax County is equally stupid, and setting up a me-too version of Crabs or FCA in Baltimore is likely the most stupid thing which is what Team 91 is about to do. I see more of the same reading that they are doing tryouts in early August in Baltimore burbs.

It's a loser strategy right out of the box. 3d just blew it. Nobody wants to drive to Leesburg to play with the Battlelax and PVI leftovers. That's a shame considering they have a platform to be a success but just a terrible execution strategy. Ditto with Team 91 Maryland...that will be exciting for about 3 months.

No a shot I'm trekking over to southern maryland from fairfax county. I'd rather drive out to leesburg.

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#128510 - 08/02/15 06:27 AM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Laxin since 79
Unregistered

I heard MLC is dissolving, why? can someone confirm

Top Reply Quote
#128581 - 08/02/15 08:13 PM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Laxin since 79

That team won the MYLA [lacrosse] A division and made a decent run at trying to stay together as a club team. Time for something new. There should be a sizable migration at the 2019 age this year. Tryouts will be interesting.

Top Reply Quote
#128639 - 08/03/15 12:28 PM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Leesburg is the worst. I live in Fairfax. Expensive tolls both ways and fighting commuter traffic to get there from Fairfax on a weeknight. The ideal location for a DMV club is Tysons Corner exit if there are fields. Potomac School? Great Falls fields? Or the first few exits over the Maryland border. Tons of Fairfax County kids go to the Maryland side prep schools. Bullis has a zillion fields. People are going to complain no matter what, but in the end people will also go if the program is the real deal. There are Bethesda carpools to go play for Crabs and FCA almost an hour north. A logical thing is to get access to kids in Loudon, Fairfax, Montgomery, Howard and over to Annapolis / Severna Park areas. Loudon County is the absolute worst. Not enough good players or population there to justify a location there which makes it too impractical for the regions where more and better inventory of kids are.

Top Reply Quote
#128651 - 08/03/15 01:34 PM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Leesburg is the worst. I live in Fairfax. Expensive tolls both ways and fighting commuter traffic to get there from Fairfax on a weeknight. The ideal location for a DMV club is Tysons Corner exit if there are fields. Potomac School? Great Falls fields? Or the first few exits over the Maryland border. Tons of Fairfax County kids go to the Maryland side prep schools. Bullis has a zillion fields. People are going to complain no matter what, but in the end people will also go if the program is the real deal. There are Bethesda carpools to go play for Crabs and FCA almost an hour north. A logical thing is to get access to kids in Loudon, Fairfax, Montgomery, Howard and over to Annapolis / Severna Park areas. Loudon County is the absolute worst. Not enough good players or population there to justify a location there which makes it too impractical for the regions where more and better inventory of kids are.

I always say I would rather drive 35 to 50 mins for a top of the line product. Then drive 5 mins and get about 5 mins of good lacrosse and play with not good players. Its the same argument you need to have when you compare prices of clubs. You drive 50 mins and pay $50 at Ruths Chris steak house. But you will only drive 5 mins and pay $20 for steak at Outback. The same rules can apply to a lacrosse club choice. You have to look at it that way.

Top Reply Quote
#128652 - 08/03/15 01:35 PM Re: Maryland, D.C., Virginia Fall 2015 Summer 2016 Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Laxin since 79

That team won the MYLA [lacrosse] A division and made a decent run at trying to stay together as a club team. Time for something new. There should be a sizable migration at the 2019 age this year. Tryouts will be interesting.

was the original poster referring to the whole club or just the MLC 2019 team? That team would be in HS come fall. MLC was down big time this past spring in terms of # of teams in MYLA. MLC had always been a quasi rec/club program with most teams playing MYLA and a few playing in NYPLL. Maybe they're a victim of the rush to play full time club at younger and younger ages.

Top Reply Quote
Page 1 of 81 1 2 3 80 81
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
O2 Skyline Box Invitational
Christian Koehler Lacrosse Tournament
Harding Battle by the Bay
Harding Summer Sunset