Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 116 1 2 3 115 116
#127958 - 07/29/15 08:38 AM Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016  
TommyM Offline
Back of THE CAGE
TommyM  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

NY
BOTC is opening our Fall 2015 through Summer 2016 thread covering the Boys 2021-7th Grade age group.

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#128817 - 08/05/15 06:59 AM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: TommyM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shocked to be kicking off this thread. Re tryouts for any AA team, maybe even more so for teams trying to be...buyer beware...Dad coaches promoting son without comsequences (cheap labor), absentee Directors too busy counting the money, flimsy claims about how many of their players now play in college, immediate conflicts with Town teams, new kids added simply to have a bench that never gets used, 15 minute shifts for first line with quick too minute breaks, loudmouth coaches who take the fun out of playing and replace it with fear of making a mistake and being loudly ripped by a coach, helicopter parents who jump when the coach asks how high (or schedules an out of state game on Easter), ugly uniforms, games you would be embarassed to bring grandparents to, parent child "pep talks" that would make psychologists cringe, a weekly competition for who can bring the more expensive food item for the banquet that goes half eaten (because clearly as lax parents we are well off). All for the low, low price of $3,000 and dragging your entire family to these tournaments for the best 9 weeks of weather that we have in the NE. I expect "its not for you, move on". I've moved on. Happily. Blissfully. Never to look backedly. I suggest you calculate how many summers you have between now and when junior heads off to Podunk on the 1/8th ride he earned for all of his sacrifice, and ask yourself if it is worth it. Is your ego that big, your desire for that car sticker and bragging rights that great? Has this cult turned us all into drones feeding the machine? Wake up. Play town, play school, play hoops, play soccer, take a vacation, take your kids to the beach. You are missing out.

#128818 - 08/05/15 07:18 AM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank You !!!!..this is such an awesome critique of Travel Lax that it needs to be shared to EVERYONE who has ever taken part in the charade that is travel lax. havig done itnow for 2+ years, i can truly attest to the validity of the comments.

#128823 - 08/05/15 07:50 AM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: TommyM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its a wonderful game being hijacked by those with a profit motive. They are creating the illusion that "this is what you need to do if you want to play at the next level" and then operating it with former college players. (Notice: Being a college player 20 years ago means nothing now, and many of these guys would never make these teams now due to the growth of the game).

Create a market where there is none and then market it like crazy to make people feel like they are missing out if they aren't aboard the train. Any coincidence many of these Directors are former Wall Street guys.

Take back the game. It's ours, not theirs. Let your kids be kids and let their natural talents and interest take them where they want to go, wherever that is.

#128824 - 08/05/15 08:00 AM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: TommyM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can say that about any travel sport. For many, traveling as families with teammates over the years has been a great way to have fun with family and friends at the same time. We have been involved in hockey, soccer, lacrosse and a small basketball stint for travel and we have always built great memories. I think if you do your research, know the philosophy of the club and coach you are aligned with and it suits your family values and philosophy of youth sports it can be a great experience. I'd rather have my kids with my whole family traveling and with us on Friday and Saturdays than playing video games and wandering the streets with nothing to do but find trouble. We still find pools, beaches, movies etc in between and after games. We do spend a lot of money, but we enjoy it. Younger siblings grow with other siblings on the teams and very often end up playing together. Teammates become life long friends and enjoy rivalries when they play one another in HS match ups.

I may be the minority, or maybe we have fallen into the right teams/clubs over the years across various sports, but we truly enjoy the experiences and the memories made. If any of my kids decide to call it quits- they get to make that call, but we certainly would have a bank of fun times to look back on and many friendships to hold on to as well. To each their own.

Sponsored Links
#128829 - 08/05/15 09:06 AM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Shocked to be kicking off this thread. Re tryouts for any AA team, maybe even more so for teams trying to be...buyer beware...Dad coaches promoting son without comsequences (cheap labor), absentee Directors too busy counting the money, flimsy claims about how many of their players now play in college, immediate conflicts with Town teams, new kids added simply to have a bench that never gets used, 15 minute shifts for first line with quick too minute breaks, loudmouth coaches who take the fun out of playing and replace it with fear of making a mistake and being loudly ripped by a coach, helicopter parents who jump when the coach asks how high (or schedules an out of state game on Easter), ugly uniforms, games you would be embarassed to bring grandparents to, parent child "pep talks" that would make psychologists cringe, a weekly competition for who can bring the more expensive food item for the banquet that goes half eaten (because clearly as lax parents we are well off). All for the low, low price of $3,000 and dragging your entire family to these tournaments for the best 9 weeks of weather that we have in the NE. I expect "its not for you, move on". I've moved on. Happily. Blissfully. Never to look backedly. I suggest you calculate how many summers you have between now and when junior heads off to Podunk on the 1/8th ride he earned for all of his sacrifice, and ask yourself if it is worth it. Is your ego that big, your desire for that car sticker and bragging rights that great? Has this cult turned us all into drones feeding the machine? Wake up. Play town, play school, play hoops, play soccer, take a vacation, take your kids to the beach. You are missing out.

+1!! My youngest plays travel. I'm kinda glad my oldest lost interest a while back in all honesty. If I feel that my younger doesn't have the interest or passion for the game and doesn't want to play, I'll gladly let him stop

#128830 - 08/05/15 09:12 AM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are all correct, it just depends on who you play for and what you are looking for. As with any product there are going to be good ones and bad ones, things you want and things you believe you need. These are decisions that only an individual can make. There is no blanket judgement of right or wrong, good or bad. Some choose to travel all over the place and spend tons of money, some want less of a commitment of time and lower costs. In the end the most important question is "who are we doing this for?" If you're being honest and your child loves what he is doing and you can afford it then it makes sense. Regardless of what kids do today it costs money. Whether they are into music, art, sports, etc. there is always going to be a cost involved in both time and money. Let go of the notion that this is necessary in order to go to college. The odds are that most players are only going to maximize their potential in anything if they have something special inside them and the love of that something brings it out. If there is no enjoyment there will be nothing but regret in the long run. If your child loves what he is doing, likes his teammates and plays for good coaches then just enjoy the experience and understand it is as much about making friends and memories as it is about anything else. There is no shame in walking away from something that you don't believe is good for you, or more importantly, your child.

#128831 - 08/05/15 09:29 AM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

can i get an AMEN!?

#128835 - 08/05/15 09:47 AM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: TommyM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The good programs are few and far between. I hear too many parents lament that they and their kid are "just getting through it". No way for a kid so spend summer. There is plenty of pressure to compete at everything the other 10 months of the year- school, sports, whatever. Can't we give them the gift of just being a kid for 60 days. That down time is when they discover what makes them tick. The time away lets them make good choices.

#128839 - 08/05/15 10:17 AM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: TommyM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

what's wrong with the 2021 parents? stop with the common sense, all for the kids approach and start ranking the top 2021 teams and who has more hold backs!

Sincerely,
2020 thread

Sponsored Links
#128841 - 08/05/15 10:27 AM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: TommyM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a 2021 coach and this Summer was the first time our season ended (luckily on a good note) when kids just wanted more. One more tournament or tried to get spot at lacrosse camp or "when's practice start back up."

Football will take all those players energy, but I think kids are mostly tired of rec soccer and cross country is just to stay in shape. I have been lobbied to beef up our Fall season so their kids have a sport they are excited about until wrestling/hockey/basketball season. (Almost every kid on my team plays 3 sports.)

Anyway, I think all the criticisms above are valid and I think the coach and/or program head really needs to work hard to give their team (and parents) a good family experience. A lot of that is being positive, trying to navigate playing time issues, keeping costs down, avoiding Friday afternoon traffic jams, etc. Watching kids from so many different schools become friends (and act like kids!) has clearly been the best part of the experience so far.

#128849 - 08/05/15 01:31 PM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

speaking of Wall Street guys who are running travel programs........there is a director of girls program who has been banned/fined/sanctioned for his activities on Wall Street. Look it up...fine was for deceptive sales practices...much bucks fine too....

Was it the Outlaws?

#128853 - 08/05/15 02:01 PM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: TommyM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Outlaws are a girls program??? Learn to read moron!

#128854 - 08/05/15 02:02 PM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

speaking of Wall Street guys who are running travel programs........there is a director of girls program who has been banned/fined/sanctioned for his activities on Wall Street. Look it up...fine was for deceptive sales practices...much bucks fine too....

Was it the Outlaws?

The outlaws don't have a girls program.

#128872 - 08/05/15 05:32 PM Re: Boys 2021-7th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016 [Re: TommyM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Outlaw haters get a life. It's great to be an Outlaw!

Page 1 of 116 1 2 3 115 116

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Martin Luther King Jr. - Girls LAX Tournament
O2 Skyline Box Invitational
Harding Battle by the Bay
Harding Summer Sunset
Andy Forsberg Memorial Lacrosse Tournament
JC17 Memorial Shootout for Dreams
New York Lacrosse Academy Boy's HS Showcase
The Boy's Und1sputed Showcase
LI Girl's Showcase
LI Boy's Showcase