SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 81 82
#12748 - 06/01/12 09:31 PM Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town  
lax516 Offline
Back of THE CAGE
lax516  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

In the last few years there has been a disturbing trend as HS coaches try and cash in on the for profit (or questionable non for profit) summer tournament teams. It started when some business minded coaches started open tryout teams, now the trend is HS coaches charging big fee's for summer teams that draw exclusively from there own school districts. How do public schools allow this type of quid pro quo to occur? Its one thing when you pay for a summer program and also pay to attend a private school which shares the same coach. Now it seems you have to pay the head coach of the public school boys/ girls teams to get on the field. The Conflicts of interest seem to run so deep yet it continues. Which program is the coach incentified to develop? The School district program or the one that pays him cash on top of their salary? How do they not play undeserving kids that have been paying them every summer? Are kids punished if they play for a competing club? This seams to be a hot topic issue in the towns these teams exist, i am interested to hear others experiences.

Top Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#12749 - 06/01/12 10:07 PM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: lax516]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

very interesting and insightful with any valid points. I know of HS coaches who have told players that if they play on certain travel teams they will never see the field. This lax world is crazy

Top Reply Quote
#12751 - 06/02/12 12:04 AM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: lax516]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

My town has 2 high schools and one just formed a "travel team" last year. You are correct- one of the coaches has a tiny 9th grade kid that made varsity this year (even though he was rocked the few minutes he saw the field). There were a handful of better 9th grade kids that were clearly more qualified to make varsity but didnt. Politics at its best. I agree that its a huge conflict of interest but its been happening in our baseball travel program for years as well. Pay to play in off season.

Top Reply Quote
#12765 - 06/02/12 05:26 PM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: lax516]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by lax516
In the last few years there has been a disturbing trend as HS coaches try and cash in on the for profit (or questionable non for profit) summer tournament teams. It started when some business minded coaches started open tryout teams, now the trend is HS coaches charging big fee's for summer teams that draw exclusively from there own school districts. How do public schools allow this type of quid pro quo to occur? Its one thing when you pay for a summer program and also pay to attend a private school which shares the same coach. Now it seems you have to pay the head coach of the public school boys/ girls teams to get on the field. The Conflicts of interest seem to run so deep yet it continues. Which program is the coach incentified to develop? The School district program or the one that pays him cash on top of their salary? How do they not play undeserving kids that have been paying them every summer? Are kids punished if they play for a competing club? This seams to be a hot topic issue in the towns these teams exist, i am interested to hear others experiences.
Where have you been?? This has been going on for years - YJ's has it down to a science, CGI baseball, aau basketball. It's called pay to play. Try living in Northport and playing girls lax for liberty or top guns and see what happens. You're 100% correct none of these school coaches should be allowed to gauge their students in the summer travel circuuit, but that's just the way it is and has been for a long time.

Top Reply Quote
#12767 - 06/02/12 06:03 PM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

what about a HS coach that wants his kids to play together in the summer to make the school team better and does it foe expense money? these school teams seem to be less money then the for profit teams and the HS team is the real benefactor, if done properly this could be a great trend

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#12771 - 06/02/12 06:51 PM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

This subject was beat to death on the YJ thread. And your right, it is a crime that it is allowed to happen, huge conflict of intrests. I don't however think its against rules as they are now written. Someone should get on that!

Top Reply Quote
#12772 - 06/02/12 07:29 PM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous
what about a HS coach that wants his kids to play together in the summer to make the school team better and does it foe expense money? these school teams seem to be less money then the for profit teams and the HS team is the real benefactor, if done properly this could be a great trend

couldn't agree more when done properly to cover costs its a great idea. How does the school district or even the state for that matter allow coaches to make a profit off these kids by playing on the parents fears.

Top Reply Quote
#12773 - 06/02/12 07:41 PM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

This subject was beat to death on the YJ thread. And your right, it is a crime that it is allowed to happen, huge conflict of intrests. I don't however think its against rules as they are now written. Someone should get on that!

does YJ just draw from one town or is it an open tryout? seeing current HS coaches pressure kids to play with the town during the summer then charging them as if they are these open tryout teams is insane. and if you don't play for them? what happens then.

Top Reply Quote
#12776 - 06/02/12 11:47 PM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

couldn't agree more when done properly to cover costs its a great idea. How does the school district or even the state for that matter allow coaches to make a profit off these kids by playing on the parents fears.

The HS coaches use these plattforms to make money as well. Don't be fooled!!

Top Reply Quote
#12778 - 06/03/12 07:47 AM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

It should not be allowed.

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#12780 - 06/03/12 08:07 AM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

does YJ just draw from one town or is it an open tryout? seeing current HS coaches pressure kids to play with the town during the summer then charging them as if they are these open tryout teams is insane. and if you don't play for them? what happens then.

No, this club is massive. Pretty much every town team or school district team you can find some or many players that are on some sort of YJ team. But that's not where the problem is, the problem is the reverse. Again since it is such a massive club, they have massive amounts of coaches, many of whom are coaches for school teams. And the YJ's are not the only club with coaches guilty of this. You can say and think what you want about this, but there is no question it puts kids in very awkward situations (kids playing for other clubs). The most obvious case is to cite Northport, but it goes way beyond that. I actually like the idea of a school team forming a travel team to go play the summer tournaments with the school coach. It would make for some tough tournaments and there is no way the school team would pry away the top players from commitments to the summer club teams. It's near immpossible to put together a highly competitive team drawing from one town, so the model may work for strengthening a school program but will never yeild a competitive tournament team. What I would like to see come out of this is that the school districts prohibit coaches from "paid" involvement of any kind in the sport in which they are hired to coach.

Top Reply Quote
#12782 - 06/03/12 08:46 AM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have stated this before on other threads, but I think it's worth repeating. My daughter plays for St John The Baptist, and the coach is involved with the L.I. Wave (in case you don't know girls they are second rate and non competitive) this woman treats all other club members poorly, berating them for every little mistake and screaming at them, while her club players are spoken to and treated with kid gloves. It is a very toxic situation if you don't play for the wave. I called the school administration and they did nothing siting it's at the coaches discretion. What makes this worse is I pay $8,000.00 a year for this.

Top Reply Quote
#12787 - 06/03/12 02:31 PM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: lax516]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand the YJ is a very competitive club like the Express on the boys side. I guess you can say what you want but they both field strong teams and offer a good product. What happens when the town team is not competitive and the pressure is there to stay? How and where do you challenge the best kids if they are stuck on a poor town team for summer and parents are getting charged like its a top level club? In philly the town summer teams rarely charge much over costs unlike the open tryout club teams

Top Reply Quote
#12791 - 06/03/12 05:10 PM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have a hidden recorder and get it on record that if your son doesn't play for the school or town summer travel he will not see the field , then sue the school and the coach. It's getting out of hand. Happening in a lot of towns

Top Reply Quote
#12798 - 06/03/12 07:43 PM Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have a hidden recorder and get it on record that if your son doesn't play for the school or town summer travel he will not see the field , then sue the school and the coach. It's getting out of hand. Happening in a lot of towns

That's attacking the problem from the bottom, better off attacking it from the top. Voice concerns and compllaints to sextion XI and get them to make this against the rules. Anyone can see the conflict of intrest here, if someone has the time and interest to persue it, I'm sure it would have an impact.

Top Reply Quote
Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 81 82
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Harding Battle By The Bay
Harding Summer Sunset
Andy Forsberg Memorial Tournament
JC17 Memorial Shootout for Dreams