BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 86 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 85 86
Re: MadLax Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm confused with all of the colors and geographics, is VLC still sandbagging or did they finally step up and play AA teams

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
i'm confused with all of the colors and geographics, is VLC still sandbagging or did they finally step up and play AA teams

No I think they are playing where they should. We will see what happens when they play in Young guns. That should be a true AA or AAA tournament.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No I think they are playing where they should. We will see what happens when they play in Young guns. That should be a true AA or AAA tournament.

Well I just checked they are playing in the 2019B bracket. Madlax Orange is playing in the top 2019A Bracket

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just change the name to PLC, Plaque Lacrosse Chasers, why challenge kids when we can keep playing our AA team against local A teams and just keep collecting hardware. I wonder if decision is coming from baby blue or king crab. keep hearing and keep seeing two different stories about youngunz, will be interesting to see

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why do the same 1-2 dads keeping bringing up that club on their Madlax thread? The obsession is weird.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How will the Madlax 2020 team do in this weekend's tournament?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How will the Madlax 2020 team do in this weekend's tournament?

The 2020 is not very good. One of the weaker Madlax teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see a MadLax 2021 for the Poolesville Tourney. I thought a previous post said they disbanded?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just change the name to PLC, Plaque Lacrosse Chasers, why challenge kids when we can keep playing our AA team against local A teams and just keep collecting hardware. I wonder if decision is coming from baby blue or king crab. keep hearing and keep seeing two different stories about youngunz, will be interesting to see [/quote]

To keep mentioning is to flatter, which does not seem to be the intent here. The deli sandwich menu at Jersey Mike's is more interesting than any VLC team to me, and if your kid plays for Madlax, should be ditto. Sounds like you'll see them on the field at Young Gunz and that will help settle out where everyone's team caliber is at.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not really a madlax question, but figure therewill be some players involved as well as VLC, Blackwolf, etc. Does anyone have rosetr info for Wavelax vs. Freestate Games this coming Thursday

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People mention VLC because they are local and will always be linked to Madlax the same with Blackwolf. Just like on the Crabs thread they talk about the breakers, hawks, and three or four others. Maybe someone should start a VLC thread and then it would be ok to talk about VLC. And this is how the Forum thing is supposed to work. Talking about one topic but moving off it from time to time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not really a madlax question, but figure therewill be some players involved as well as VLC, Blackwolf, etc. Does anyone have rosetr info for Wavelax vs. Freestate Games this coming Thursday

never mind roster are up now on Wavelax, lookign froward to three good games

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax 2020 played together for the first time as a team this past weekend at NSCLA. Lost in OT to Thunder (GA) first game, beat C2C (not sure which one), beat Edge (Canada), beat Denver Elite, lost to Tomahawks (eventual champs) in round of 6. They should gel more with practices and more games. Next up is Madlax Capital Classic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax 2021 (rising 7th) has at least one kid who is a 2020 kid (rising 8th). How do these cheaters get away with it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok lets all get our thoughts out about this new Madlax VA and Madlax MD teams. It sounds like the VA teams should be good from the start but what does everyone think about the Maryland team on day one? This new system should only help the Orange teams now just the Capital team. I guess we will never have to worry about asking what color team someone is talking about.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok lets all get our thoughts out about this new Madlax VA and Madlax MD teams. It sounds like the VA teams should be good from the start but what does everyone think about the Maryland team on day one? This new system should only help the Orange teams now just the Capital team. I guess we will never have to worry about asking what color team someone is talking about.

Just another way for Madlax to make more money. It screws the families who play for the B team because now there is a B team in MD and a B team in VA instead of just one B team. More families will have $100 automatically charged to their credit cards every month.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just another way for Madlax to make more money. It screws the families who play for the B team because now there is a B team in MD and a B team in VA instead of just one B team. More families will have $100 automatically charged to their credit cards every month.

I for sure agree it will be for more money. But the Madlax parents must make them have smaller rosters. If they are still keeping 24 players on each of the 3 teams I will not be happy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Didn't he try this before, why would it work now with more clubs on the scene if it didn't work the first time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Didn't he try this before, why would it work now with more clubs on the scene if it didn't work the first time.

He has a new guy and new store in MD. If he just takes 2 players from each of the clubs now and puts them with the MD kids already on rosters,should be fine. Also must carry less kids per team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He has a new guy and new store in MD. If he just takes 2 players from each of the clubs now and puts them with the MD kids already on rosters,should be fine. Also must carry less kids per team.

He also used to have a store in Alexandria. It's closed. He also used to have a store in Ashburn. It's closed.

There are a lot of kids playing lacrosse, so I'm sure he'll find enough kids to fill out two B teams. But they will be terrible. It's hard for any club to have a decent B team, let alone two.

It's all about money. Remember this is the guy who charges his players a monthly fee (on top of the monthly fee everyone at Madlax already pays) just to advocate for his players to college coaches, something every other club does as a courtesy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can't reduce the rosters and survive in the summer. 24 is a lot of boys for a spring team to get playing time, although it can be done if the coach is committed to it. (2018 Hawks proved that last year) If you carry less than 23-24 kids and have an injury or a vacation, it can make for a grueling summer tournament

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The new MADLAX structure addresses two problems - additional players from MD (mostly Bethesda) will not have to drive all the way to VA for practices and the talent drain. I am not sure it will work for all of the age groups the first year but it will eventually fill up the wallet, I mean rosters.

I would be concerned about having a squad practicing in two locations but playing as one team on the weekends if I understand the process. How do you get good chemistry between the midfield and attack - during games?

The options are endless - NPYLL vs HoCo for spring if the MD teams fill up; two levels of All Star teams - Capital and National; and the pool is 48 instead of 24 for any given tournament (using the numbers given previously).

What's interesting is that the 'studs' are generally played and rise to the top. These kids get their playing time against better competition but what happens to the other players? Will there be 12 players left at home when the 'real' tournaments begin? What kid will understand that they are a Capital All Star but not a National All Star at 2022?

Will it help or hurt the brand?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is all about putting money in that guy's pockets.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They can always play in the Great Falls Select League with Nova West and Cavs...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is all about putting money in that guy's pockets.

Well you are correct its about making money. So having good teams and good players makes him more money. So if you want to play on a good team and with good players it should be a fit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think people have the wrong impression of Mr. Maddux and I must admit I did also, until today that is. Everyone thinks he is just a money grabbing [lacrosse] and that is just not true. I just received a email inviting me to add my email address to his data base for get this FREE, absolutely gloriously 100 per cent FREE......what a jackass

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't forget how he charges his family over $300 a month just to reach out to colleges on behalf of those families. What a concept - charge hundreds of dollars a month for something other clubs do for fre.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't forget how he charges his family over $300 a month just to reach out to colleges on behalf of those families. What a concept - charge hundreds of dollars a month for something other clubs do for fre.

I think you are reading that wrong, that package you are talking about is for a kid that does not play for Madlax and wants someone to do recruiting services for them. They do charge a monthly fee that other clubs do not charge but it goes from 50$ a month then 75$ then 100$. And the assumption is this money goes to pay the coaches. I can confirm they all get paid but how much I do not know. I have compared what I pay to what VLC,Next level and some of the others charge and it works out to like 1500$ more for a complete year of lacrosse. And the funny part is I have never met a Lacrosse parent that does not have the money. The money for all the clubs is nuts. So one team is 2000$ a year and the other is 3500$ a year. And any of the clubs that go with the 750$ a year model are being coached by Dads and Rec coaches.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
An all the kids will be desk jockeys just like us. LOL. Save you money for tutors and 529 plans.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
An all the kids will be desk jockeys just like us. LOL. Save you money for tutors and 529 plans.

I agree with this. But I am paying for him to be pushed and for him to see there is always someone better you have to keep working and making yourself better. Which is the skill you need the most to be the best DESK JOCKEY you can be.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HS Breakers cost was $2,500 this year!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok so that gets you what? 4 summer tournaments. does that pay for any fall league games or winter league games? I think the summer payment for most teams on Madlax was 1400 to 1500. Plus the monthly 100$ or 75$ fee.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Breakers - Four summer tournaments, two fall tournaments, practices, membership to LacrosseRecruits.com, and practice and game uniforms (less helmet).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok so that gets you what? 4 summer tournaments. does that pay for any fall league games or winter league games? I think the summer payment for most teams on Madlax was 1400 to 1500. Plus the monthly 100$ or 75$ fee.

I would love for a thread to start up with a break down for each club, each season so we all could win from this information.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you are reading that wrong, that package you are talking about is for a kid that does not play for Madlax and wants someone to do recruiting services for them. They do charge a monthly fee that other clubs do not charge but it goes from 50$ a month then 75$ then 100$. And the assumption is this money goes to pay the coaches. I can confirm they all get paid but how much I do not know. I have compared what I pay to what VLC,Next level and some of the others charge and it works out to like 1500$ more for a complete year of lacrosse. And the funny part is I have never met a Lacrosse parent that does not have the money. The money for all the clubs is nuts. So one team is 2000$ a year and the other is 3500$ a year. And any of the clubs that go with the 750$ a year model are being coached by Dads and Rec coaches.

1. I know a former Madlax family. While they were with Madlax, they tried to get the owner to make calls for them by paying the fee. Owner turned them down, saying that their kid wasn't D1 material. Then the kid got better and owner changed his mind, and they paid him a monthly fee for a time on top of the other Madlax fees. Decides to leave for a different club and now the kid will be playing for a high D1 school this fall. Feels fortunate that they left Madlax.

2. The fee isn't to pay the coaches - the fee goes straight to the bottom line (i.e. the owner's pockets).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. I know a former Madlax family. While they were with Madlax, they tried to get the owner to make calls for them by paying the fee. Owner turned them down, saying that their kid wasn't D1 material. Then the kid got better and owner changed his mind, and they paid him a monthly fee for a time on top of the other Madlax fees. Decides to leave for a different club and now the kid will be playing for a high D1 school this fall. Feels fortunate that they left Madlax.

2. The fee isn't to pay the coaches - the fee goes straight to the bottom line (i.e. the owner's pockets).

So he was wrong about a kid and his skill, he thought he was not D1 so he did not take the parents money based on his thoughts. But he is all about the money and the bottom line. So this would mean he would of took the money and made calls even thought he felt the kid was not D1.
And also until the other clubs lay out what it cost and what you get for that money like Madlax does on a open website its all hearsay. I am sure its the most or close to the most but by how much. And once again the kid and his skill gets him into D1. The club team gives him a place to show his skill. These cold calls people want there coach to make is just nuts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Having a kid who finished recruiting process and one who may be entering it in a year, I can tell you that comment is off. There are hundreds of kids as good or better than D1 committed kids in high school right now who: 1. didn't go to showcase events (costs a lot to attend them, some people can't afford it), 2. didn't go to a prep school for lacrosse (the focus here is 100% what Madlax or others can do for you, but often a much more powerful advocate is a prep coach, even if your son hasn't even played a game for him yet!), 3. didn't pay up directly or indirectly for the club coach to audition their kid versus the kid standing next to him whose family sent him to every conceivable Maxlax, Crabs, etc. clinic, camp or other event.

Loyalty is a two way street, and the way club guys see it loyalty to them is attending and paying up for upteen events along the way. Parents see loyalty as smile and dial for my son, and making sure that is paid for is the only way it seems to happen in a lot of instances. How does a prep school push a 9th grader before tryouts? Last summer we brought him up for a tournament with our varsity, and golly he is a swell kid and an advanced player for his age. And he is only going to get a lot better in his four years at [fill in blank DC area elite lacrosse team prep school]. Yup, my son goes to a private school for lacrosse and for other desired reasons as we think it is a good school and academic fit for him. But I won't be a hypocrite: his chances of getting a college recruited spot were 0.00% if he rode the club team wave alone since I didn't roll like that to go to all the clinics and other nonsense they kept selling.

If you think your son playing better on the field is nearly enough, you are very mistaken and will learn different as you advance through the process. Our club -- not Madlax -- did NOTHING to help our son get a college spot, but that does not stop the club from taking all the credit for it or listing it on the club website.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Having a kid who finished recruiting process and one who may be entering it in a year, I can tell you that comment is off. There are hundreds of kids as good or better than D1 committed kids in high school right now who: 1. didn't go to showcase events (costs a lot to attend them, some people can't afford it), 2. didn't go to a prep school for lacrosse (the focus here is 100% what Madlax or others can do for you, but often a much more powerful advocate is a prep coach, even if your son hasn't even played a game for him yet!), 3. didn't pay up directly or indirectly for the club coach to audition their kid versus the kid standing next to him whose family sent him to every conceivable Maxlax, Crabs, etc. clinic, camp or other event.

Loyalty is a two way street, and the way club guys see it loyalty to them is attending and paying up for upteen events along the way. Parents see loyalty as smile and dial for my son, and making sure that is paid for is the only way it seems to happen in a lot of instances. How does a prep school push a 9th grader before tryouts? Last summer we brought him up for a tournament with our varsity, and golly he is a swell kid and an advanced player for his age. And he is only going to get a lot better in his four years at [fill in blank DC area elite lacrosse team prep school]. Yup, my son goes to a private school for lacrosse and for other desired reasons as we think it is a good school and academic fit for him. But I won't be a hypocrite: his chances of getting a college recruited spot were 0.00% if he rode the club team wave alone since I didn't roll like that to go to all the clinics and other nonsense they kept selling.

If you think your son playing better on the field is nearly enough, you are very mistaken and will learn different as you advance through the process. Our club -- not Madlax -- did NOTHING to help our son get a college spot, but that does not stop the club from taking all the credit for it or listing it on the club website.

This is well written and seems to be way better informed then me. So I have some questions for you. Can you rank in order of importance for a lacrosse D1 spot, Club team, Showcase events, Prep school/Private school, website, highlight video, Call from club coach, call from Private school coach, call/email from you/kid. I think everyone would like some help with this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks. Take with some salt because this is just my experience alone:
1. prep coaches - I think it is sad but true that lacrosse is still very caught in the prep school spiral. In exact words my son's prep coach said the club coach has your kid for 3-5 weeks in summer and some weekends in fall. Prep coaches have the kid every day for 90+ days. Their reference is credible, even when it is (IMHO) pathetic when the kid hasn't even had a spring 9th grade season yet. They can also give the recruiter comfort that the kid will develop in their program.
2. Showcases should not be important for prep parents given #1, but I think are indispensable for public kids. I would say buyer beware because there is a lot of crap. The best ones are Philly Showcase, Adrenaline Black Card and Marverik Showtime. Unfortunately Showtime is a harder one to access from here because it is run by Long Island guys and politically dominated by locals. I don't really have anything + or - to say about the 3d Blue Chip auditions for the Jake Reed thing. We didn't pony up for that and don't really know what we were missing.
3. Prospect days are underrated - if your son has a list short enough of 2-4 schools these are good ways to get in front of coaches at the schools.
4. Club lacrosse ranks last because it belongs there. My son went through the process and to be candid I heard more than one college coach make a snarky comment about pushy club coaches and owners. In truth all clubs would try to sell them anything and that costs credibility over time. The club coach is also the one most likely to mislead you. In 7th grade everybody is a Hopkins early recruit candidate. In 9th grade they like to mention how competitive those spots are, then they like to start with the speech about how you can help them sell your son by...buying more crap like clinics and videos.

I would also say don't spend a lot on recruiting videos. I truly believe that a coach will want and need to see your son at a showcase, a prospect day at his field or at a club tournament combo. Every kid can put together a video where they score 10 goals or stop 10 shots. Unless it is a tape from a high level prep game, showcase game or club game where you know your son is on a good Madlax team vs a good Crabs team or something like that, don't waste a lot of money on it. Also smart to buy a $200-$300 video camera once and do a homemade video. I've hear led a million times how important video is, but I just don't believe the coaches really care about it too much. They need to see your son play and play well through one medium listed above.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks. Take with some salt because this is just my experience alone:
1. prep coaches - I think it is sad but true that lacrosse is still very caught in the prep school spiral. In exact words my son's prep coach said the club coach has your kid for 3-5 weeks in summer and some weekends in fall. Prep coaches have the kid every day for 90+ days. Their reference is credible, even when it is (IMHO) pathetic when the kid hasn't even had a spring 9th grade season yet. They can also give the recruiter comfort that the kid will develop in their program.
2. Showcases should not be important for prep parents given #1, but I think are indispensable for public kids. I would say buyer beware because there is a lot of crap. The best ones are Philly Showcase, Adrenaline Black Card and Marverik Showtime. Unfortunately Showtime is a harder one to access from here because it is run by Long Island guys and politically dominated by locals. I don't really have anything + or - to say about the 3d Blue Chip auditions for the Jake Reed thing. We didn't pony up for that and don't really know what we were missing.
3. Prospect days are underrated - if your son has a list short enough of 2-4 schools these are good ways to get in front of coaches at the schools.
4. Club lacrosse ranks last because it belongs there. My son went through the process and to be candid I heard more than one college coach make a snarky comment about pushy club coaches and owners. In truth all clubs would try to sell them anything and that costs credibility over time. The club coach is also the one most likely to mislead you. In 7th grade everybody is a Hopkins early recruit candidate. In 9th grade they like to mention how competitive those spots are, then they like to start with the speech about how you can help them sell your son by...buying more crap like clinics and videos.

I would also say don't spend a lot on recruiting videos. I truly believe that a coach will want and need to see your son at a showcase, a prospect day at his field or at a club tournament combo. Every kid can put together a video where they score 10 goals or stop 10 shots. Unless it is a tape from a high level prep game, showcase game or club game where you know your son is on a good Madlax team vs a good Crabs team or something like that, don't waste a lot of money on it. Also smart to buy a $200-$300 video camera once and do a homemade video. I've hear led a million times how important video is, but I just don't believe the coaches really care about it too much. They need to see your son play and play well through one medium listed above.

Dont have a son going thru that ,,,but that is a nice explanation for the process.

Like Reply Quote
Page 14 of 86 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 85 86
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard