BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Recruiting stories from the road. Share your experience.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The reality is that most "scholarships" are a package of funding sources. Need based aid, plus merit aid, plus athletic with the latter typically representing the smallest funding stream of the three.

However, since there seems to be a certain status associated with athletic scholarships that tends to be what Mom and Dad focus on when regaling their friends and family with their stories from the recruiting wars.

Correction: Ivies offer no merit aid. Only need based aid.

I especially love it when I hear that a kid is going to Penn or Harvard on a full scholarship. Really? Since the Ivies offer no merit aid and no athletic aid these must be particularly needy folk or well, you do the math.

Here is a winning formula IMO. Have your kid spend 2 hours engaged in extra academic enrichment or community service for every one hour they spend in lacrosse. If you do that for 12 or 13 years scoring a 15-25% athletic scholarship can hopefully be paired with another 25% of merit aid. Toss in whatever other private scholarships and need-based aid you can score and you can realistically look to score a substantial discount off that 60K a year price tag that many outstanding schools are advertising as their retail cost.

This strategy will not work at the Ivies or the large public universities all of whom either offer no merit money or precious little.

Of course there are the service academies where everybody gets a "full scholarship" and guaranteed job placement to boot.

Have fun!

I have never heard any parent of a child headed to Penn or Harvard say their kid is getting a full scholarship. I know many parents who have turned down significant scholarships from other schools and instead sent their child to Penn and Harvard.

Correct. Agreed. For the poster initially quoted. Ivies only offer merit money or merit scholarships. They offer no athletic scholarships, and merit money is based on a formula independent of athletics or academics. What lacrosse can gain you is preferred admission to a schools with single digit acceptance rates, for which some parents would sacrifice a limb to get their child accepted at.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The reality is that most "scholarships" are a package of funding sources. Need based aid, plus merit aid, plus athletic with the latter typically representing the smallest funding stream of the three.

However, since there seems to be a certain status associated with athletic scholarships that tends to be what Mom and Dad focus on when regaling their friends and family with their stories from the recruiting wars.

Correction: Ivies offer no merit aid. Only need based aid.

I especially love it when I hear that a kid is going to Penn or Harvard on a full scholarship. Really? Since the Ivies offer no merit aid and no athletic aid these must be particularly needy folk or well, you do the math.

Here is a winning formula IMO. Have your kid spend 2 hours engaged in extra academic enrichment or community service for every one hour they spend in lacrosse. If you do that for 12 or 13 years scoring a 15-25% athletic scholarship can hopefully be paired with another 25% of merit aid. Toss in whatever other private scholarships and need-based aid you can score and you can realistically look to score a substantial discount off that 60K a year price tag that many outstanding schools are advertising as their retail cost.

This strategy will not work at the Ivies or the large public universities all of whom either offer no merit money or precious little.

Of course there are the service academies where everybody gets a "full scholarship" and guaranteed job placement to boot.

Have fun!

I have never heard any parent of a child headed to Penn or Harvard say their kid is getting a full scholarship. I know many parents who have turned down significant scholarships from other schools and instead sent their child to Penn and Harvard.

Correct. Agreed. For the poster initially quoted. Ivies only offer merit money or merit scholarships. They offer no athletic scholarships, and merit money is based on a formula independent of athletics or academics. What lacrosse can gain you is preferred admission to a schools with single digit acceptance rates, for which some parents would sacrifice a limb to get their child accepted at.

Correction to my above post. When I said merit scholarship. I meant need-based aid. Oops.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The ivies want liberal, ethnically diverse, economically challenged students. Lax might be your only way in!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The ivies want liberal, ethnically diverse, economically challenged students. Lax might be your only way in!

Another hater. Guess your kid was not recruited by Harvard. Neither was mine but I am not bitter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What coach doesn't extend an athletic scholarship each year unless the kid has other issues on and off the field? That rarely happens I played with guys that got money for four years and didn't see the field at all but they were good teammates on and off the field. The coach really has to have a vendetta against the kid to take back his money. Plus the scholarships are budgeted and the coach knows how much money he has before he offers he doesn't rob Peter to pay Paul. Please tell me a story where a players scholarship was not renewed based soley on his playing ability. That rarely happens.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another hater. Guess your kid was not recruited by Harvard. Neither was mine but I am not bitter.

Sounded like a positive plug for why we all do this, to get our kids into college and maybe a stretch college. In this case Lacrosse would be the way in to a school that might not have you without it. How is this bitter?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter just finished up her first year at a top 5 D2 lax program and received 15k athletic and 16k academic scholarships.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter just finished up her first year at a top 5 D2 lax program and received 15k athletic and 16k academic scholarships.

Thanks for the honesty and being brave enough to admit D2 can be a good trip. Lemoyne comes in the cheapest at 45k with Stonehill the highest at $52. at either school your kid is playing lax and going to a private for less than SUNY tuition which is great. Congrats

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
stonehill does not have a varsity mens team.
its a small (18-19) player club team . plays about 8 games.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Women play lacrosse too, ya know. This thread is not only relating to males.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

women were ranked #4

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What about if a kid works really hard but can only maintain a high 80's average? Does having an IEP help or hurt? Realistically, if anyone has personally been through something like this please share your experience thank you. Lots of "I heard" but I don't know anyone who has actually been through the process

IEP wont help you. My kid had a 3.6 from a great school, with APs etc and got nothing for academics. Just received athletic money. We beat the drum on the IEP hard too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the honesty and being brave enough to admit D2 can be a good trip. Lemoyne comes in the cheapest at 45k with Stonehill the highest at $52. at either school your kid is playing lax and going to a private for less than SUNY tuition which is great. Congrats

How is $45k-$52k less than a SUNY school? I'm just trying to follow your logic, thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What about if a kid works really hard but can only maintain a high 80's average? Does having an IEP help or hurt? Realistically, if anyone has personally been through something like this please share your experience thank you. Lots of "I heard" but I don't know anyone who has actually been through the process

IEP wont help you. My kid had a 3.6 from a great school, with APs etc and got nothing for academics. Just received athletic money. We beat the drum on the IEP hard too.

Thank you

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How is $45k-$52k less than a SUNY school? I'm just trying to follow your logic, thanks.
kid got 31k. Suny is 20-22. 48 less the 31 is 17 for a nice private. That's great!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have a daughter attend the Nike Top of the Class camp up in Mass? It is run by Harvard/Stanford/UNC coaches with others apparently in attendance. If so can you report on the experience w regard to whether it was a helpful camp for recruiting? Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What does IEP stand for?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What does IEP stand for?

Individualized Educational Program for Special Education Students

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

What does IEP stand for?

Individualized Educational Program for Special Education Students

I don't think that high 80's qualifies.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question - with the news that UVA just committed a 2019, when do the D-III's start committing? In particular the NESCAC schools? End of freshman year? End of sophomore year? Thanks for any feedback,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question - with the news that UVA just committed a 2019, when do the D-III's start committing? In particular the NESCAC schools? End of freshman year? End of sophomore year? Thanks for any feedback,

I think you have to define recruiting. When do they start watching kids and making their lists, when do they start talking with kids, when do they start inviting kids to visit campus, when do they start offering spots?

Just a year or so ago I would laugh when I heard someone say the IVY's or Duke do not recruit early. They were recruiting, they were just keeping it quiet. They were watching kids and having some conversations but they were trying to keep it on the DL. Now they are right there with the others.

If I had to guess, the top programs are watching the 2018 from a distance but their primary focus is on 2017 and 2016.

I could be wrong but I don't think they are trying to go head to head with the Big Boys in recruiting the Top 2019's.

My guess is there sweet spot is the rising juniors.

Not based on personal experience just my guess. What say you?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
D3's will usually give a verbal roster spot to a rising senior, some of the biggies go a year earlier that's about it. Anything earlier is a waste of time because they know D1 and D2's could throw some money at a kid. But the summer going into senior year the D3's know you are sure about attending.

Then the signing is just for show since their is no $$ offered.

Still a great day for all those who commit

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone heard stories of coaches decommitting from kids?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Absolutely...If you dont get the grades or the SAT scores,it surely does happen..Saw it firsthand...
Admissions has every right to deny. This is why it's called a verbal committment.Nothing it set in stone,until signing day. It will happen more often now,with all this early recruiting..Its also gonna happen as parents,realize that a school that they have verbally committed their son/daughter to,may NOT be the right fit...And there will be another student/athlete that will fit that spot...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coaches will also decommit,because they will not want a student/athlete to bring down their team GPA....They will bring in another Student/athlete with a higher GPA,who can also bring up the team GPA...Remember,it's Student/Athlete,NOT Athlete/student...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coaches will also decommit,because they will not want a student/athlete to bring down their team GPA....They will bring in another Student/athlete with a higher GPA,who can also bring up the team GPA...Remember,it's Student/Athlete,NOT Athlete/student...

What if the student athlete performs in the classroom but the playing progress is not as expected? Have you seen those kind of situations where a coach will decommit?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have never scene that,but I would put money on they'd find a way to let the kid go....

With all this early recruiting,many recruits get complacent and lazy,while the uncommitted are working very hard to secure a spot,which wasn't handed to them early! I believe,IMO,that the later recruit will work harder for a coach..maybe not everytime,but most of the time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NEVER "SCENE" THAT ? REALLY ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have never scene that,but I would put money on they'd find a way to let the kid go....

With all this early recruiting,many recruits get complacent and lazy,while the uncommitted are working very hard to secure a spot,which wasn't handed to them early! I believe,IMO,that the later recruit will work harder for a coach..maybe not everytime,but most of the time.

On many teams the hardest workers are the walk ons / no scholarship kids. They want a roster spot first and then the money will come in year 2 if they contribute. Just look at all the BUSTS in the NFL, NBA, NHL and Baseball drafts. Now ask a college coach to make a guess about an 8th, 9th or 10th grade immature, not done growing (or maybe they have??) kid who hasn't even taken their PSAT yet. Really tough to do. Anyone can pick out Lebron JAmes but after that its really really hard to do!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow,you make one grammatical error and you are called out for it...you have too much tiome on your hands!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow,you make one grammatical error and you are called out for it...you have too much tiome on your hands!

I think you mean "time".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think I do!!!!! LOL or Laugh out loud,just in case you were to question what that stands for...

You'd be an awesome proof reader.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think it's called fat fingers and a tiny keyboard on that mistake,Mr.Know it all.

Back to the subject.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have any experience on how financial aid factors into athletic scholarship money. Is it on addition to or do they factor the scholarship money into the aid package? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have any experience on how financial aid factors into athletic scholarship money. Is it on addition to or do they factor the scholarship money into the aid package? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If I understand it correctly, at the D1 level you can not combine athletic scholarship money and need based financial aid (without it counting against the coaches count). If a coach were to combine 50% need based aid with 50% athletic scholarship it would count as "one full scholarship". It would count against the coaches maximum allowable athletic scholarships.

You can combine academic scholarship and athletic scholarship. 50% academic money and 50% athletic money would only count as .5 of the coaches maximum allowable.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If I understand it correctly, at the D1 level you can not combine athletic scholarship money and need based financial aid (without it counting against the coaches count). If a coach were to combine 50% need based aid with 50% athletic scholarship it would count as "one full scholarship". It would count against the coaches maximum allowable athletic scholarships.

You can combine academic scholarship and athletic scholarship. 50% academic money and 50% athletic money would only count as .5 of the coaches maximum allowable.

That is not what the Coach told us (big 10 school). Said that they were separate. Anyone else have experience here?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is not what the Coach told us (big 10 school). Said that they were separate. Anyone else have experience here?

They are separate. All three are separate however, you can combine athletic and academic without impacting the coaches count. If you were to combine athletic and need based aid it would impact the count therefore I do not believe most coaches would do it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just to clarify, please see below.

You would think this would be an easy question to answer. And it is for NCAA D3 schools since they aren’t allowed to offer any athletic scholarships so the answer is no. As for D1 or D2 schools, if you just stop and think about it a little, you would begin to realize that there’s no way it could possibly have a simple answer.

Why is that? Just imagine if schools could freely give athletes scholarships for academic qualifications instead of athletic abilities. There’s no limit on the number of academic (or merit) scholarships that colleges and universities can award. And there are no minimum qualifications. Schools give out scholarships for music, art, drama, leadership, and community service without demanding excessive academic qualifications.

Surely you can see the issue here. What’s to stop schools from providing all of their athletes with merit scholarships and just skip the limitations of athletic scholarships?

There is something in the NCAA, it’s called Bylaw 15.02.4.3. This rule states that any financial aid except that which is specifically exempted is going to count as athletic aid and make the student a “counter” in terms of scholarships.

Federal and state financial aid based on need is exempted. Academic scholarships for freshman may be exempted if the students meets one of the following conditions depending on the division:

Division 1
◾Top 10% of the high school graduating class
◾Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
◾Score 1200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105

They are separate. All three are separate however, you can combine athletic and academic without impacting the coaches count. If you were to combine athletic and need based aid it would impact the count therefore I do not believe most coaches would do it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info. Going through this now. Will let everyone know what actually happens in a few months

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I took my 14 year old 2019 grad year son to a 2019 Top D1 prospect camp recently at the behest of his club coach. I would estimate there were 70-75 kids attending and I was truly amazed at the talent level. We had never attended a prospect camp and this is all new to me. My son's club coach also attended and had a relationship with one of the coaches who was running the camp. After the camp's conclusion, the club coach introduced me to the coach. In the course of our conversation the coach complimented my sons play and remarked he really played well especially considering "nearly 60% of the players are already 16 years old and four are 17". I was shocked but I guess I shouldn't be. The club coached explained how desperate parents/players are to attend a top D1 school and dropping a year or two improves their chances. So, a kid starts school a year late and then does a PG year? Or a kid is held back and then does a PG year? I think its lunacy and will harm the sport in the long run.

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard