BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 234 of 327 1 2 232 233 234 235 236 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do the leg work and there will be plenty of opportunities .

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can't get a more laid back program then the WAVE and look at where some of their TOP girls over the last few years are playing - Northwestern, Stony Brook, Syracuse, UNC, Albany, Georgetown, Adelphi now most of their girls are playing Low D1 with lots of D3's BUT it does show that if you CAN PLAY, coaches will find you and you don't need the bumper sticker to get to a top school.

YJ Blue probably makes it easier to get looked at but lesser programs and still getting girls into big time schools

Sometimes being the BIG FISH in a small pond lets you shine as opposed to being #13 -#26 on the YJ Blue Roster

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are a yellow jacket blue parent with a daughter on the bottom half of the roster, you need to listen to this. The coaches and organization have a standard reply to all players if their parents are complaining. They will tell you that the time to win is now. That college coaches will not come to the sidelines to watch the team if they are not winning every game. They will tell you that even though your daughter is not playing she's getting great benefit from having the yellow jacket blue name. And that may be true for some. But at the same time it maybe destroying your daughters confidence and love of the game. This was the situation we were in and we decided to try and stick it out. For us that was the wrong decision. At that time for her the sport was about having fun. But how can you have fun when you're not seeing the field. By the end of the year, it became a job to her. It was then that we finally decided to look for another place for her to play. She decided to go to what many consider to be a much lesser club. And it turned out to be the greatest thing she ever did. We just wish she did it earlier. And guess what she got recruited to a D1 school. We just had to do a little bit more legwork. Needless to say we are going about it differently with our younger daughter. I'm not saying that this situation doesn't work for some. It just definitely didn't work for us. At 12 years old all my daughter wanted to do was play.

And before somebody calls me a yellow jacket hater, that is not the truth. When I asked them for the truth they gave it to me. They didn't string me on. We just decided to make our own decisions for what we felt was best for our daughter. And sitting on the sidelines watching other girls play meaningful minutes was not what was right for us as a family. Good luck to everyone going forward.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That was an honest, thought provoking look at the reality of the YJ system for the bottom of the roster players and their families … thanks for sharing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing YJ 2019 Mitchell at National Draw in a few weeks. Which team is that for you guys? Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great post. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If you are a yellow jacket blue parent with a daughter on the bottom half of the roster, you need to listen to this. The coaches and organization have a standard reply to all players if their parents are complaining. They will tell you that the time to win is now. That college coaches will not come to the sidelines to watch the team if they are not winning every game. They will tell you that even though your daughter is not playing she's getting great benefit from having the yellow jacket blue name. And that may be true for some. But at the same time it maybe destroying your daughters confidence and love of the game. This was the situation we were in and we decided to try and stick it out. For us that was the wrong decision. At that time for her the sport was about having fun. But how can you have fun when you're not seeing the field. By the end of the year, it became a job to her. It was then that we finally decided to look for another place for her to play. She decided to go to what many consider to be a much lesser club. And it turned out to be the greatest thing she ever did. We just wish she did it earlier. And guess what she got recruited to a D1 school. We just had to do a little bit more legwork. Needless to say we are going about it differently with our younger daughter. I'm not saying that this situation doesn't work for some. It just definitely didn't work for us. At 12 years old all my daughter wanted to do was play.

And before somebody calls me a yellow jacket hater, that is not the truth. When I asked them for the truth they gave it to me. They didn't string me on. We just decided to make our own decisions for what we felt was best for our daughter. And sitting on the sidelines watching other girls play meaningful minutes was not what was right for us as a family. Good luck to everyone going forward.

This is a great post. Each families experience is different. It depends on what the parent feels is most important in the outcome. Does YJ Blue hold huge wieght for some colleges, absolutely. But I honestly feel that it doesn't hold the weight that it once did. YJ used to be the only show in town. that is long gone. With the wealth of information that is at a parents and coaches disposal these days, if your daughter is a good player, she will get recruited. You just need to spend some time emailing coaches and attending some 5 v 5's and clinics for the school that you are interested in. Have your daughter let college coaches know that you are interested in the school and what showcases that you are attending. Most of the websites for these showcases tell you who is attending and you can even send them a message directly from the tournament website. It's amzing what technology can do.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Look at the WAVE recruits after playing in low level tournaments in low level brackets on low level teams. GOOD PLAYERS are noticed wherever they play if you work hard at it.

Kind of like ride the bench on varsity or play every minute on JV. Ride the bench on YJ blue on be the stud at another program

Good Luck to all

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Got YJ 2018 Rose tomorrow morning. Should be fun.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good luck getting any calls

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing YJ 2019 Mitchell at National Draw in a few weeks. Which team is that for you guys? Thanks.

Coaches are listed in order of team strength on their website - link to left.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So from that it looks like Mitchell is the second team. Thanks. See you all in NJ.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
As good as YJ 2018 Rose is, why go to maryland and set yourself up with 4 patsies? Complete waste of time when the game is over in 10 minutes. What could the girls get out of this weekend?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck getting recruiting help from YJ, if you're not on blue!

Pay your $500 recruiting fee and she will mention your name to a college coach when an inquiry is made. Don't pay it, and she wont remember your kids name.
your all just blowing steam so not true. My daughter was not on the top blue team and CR as well as her coaching staff were very happy to speak w a coach when approached or asked to without paying any extra $$. If you want her to do all your recruiting which is like a full time job then yes there is a fee, but she will talk to a coach if you ask for nothing. She gives the players an honest opinion on their choice as well if asked to speak to a certain coach no sugar coating and I don't blame her. My daughter did not pay any $$ for recruitment and was given lots of advise on schools and she is happy w her choice. So many of you read to much into everything.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did the YJ teams make out in MD? Details please!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Division Champion Finalist
U9 Catonsville Tyker Lutherville Hines
U11 A Catonsville Lightning A MC Elite 2022
U11 B In The Zone Catonsville Meyers
U13 A M&D 21 Black Catonsville Hahn
U13 B API Select Russell Dark Horse
U15 A YJ 2020 Curcio M&D 20 Black
U15 B Catonsville Bateman Eastern Shore LC

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, what happened to the mighty 2021 yellowjacket team. That's all we read about

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Gotogoal
As good as YJ 2018 Rose is, why go to maryland and set yourself up with 4 patsies? Complete waste of time when the game is over in 10 minutes. What could the girls get out of this weekend?

In the top bracket you would expect better competition. If you want to talk about a joke, the second team team played in the 5th division and still lost a game. That team has some talent but needs an upgrade at coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
M&D parent here. The YJ 2021 team is outstanding and up until this weekend they have been the best team we have played in this age group. Beach lax is a U13 tournament and therefore some very high level rec teams from Maryland were in this tournament and were able to field teams that included club players from the 2020 age group. Dolphins and API fielded very good teams and Catonsville fielded an elite team with players mostly from the 2020 age level from some very good clubs in Maryland.

So, YJ and M&D ran into some great competition.

YJ 2021 has nothing to be ashamed of. They are a very strong team and obviously one of the very top teams at the 2021 age level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did 2019 Blue do?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, what happened to the mighty 2021 yellowjacket team. That's all we read about

2021 YJ only lost one game this weekend and tied M&D. I don't know who posted this, but it wasn't an M&D parent. All the other games were against older girls. M&D and YJ 2021 are heads and shoulders above every other 2021 team.

What team is your daughter on?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
M&D parent here. The YJ 2021 team is outstanding and up until this weekend they have been the best team we have played in this age group. Beach lax is a U13 tournament and therefore some very high level rec teams from Maryland were in this tournament and were able to field teams that included club players from the 2020 age group. Dolphins and API fielded very good teams and Catonsville fielded an elite team with players mostly from the 2020 age level from some very good clubs in Maryland.

So, YJ and M&D ran into some great competition.

YJ 2021 has nothing to be ashamed of. They are a very strong team and obviously one of the very top teams at the 2021 age level.

Actually, they still ARE the best team we have faced from this age group.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did 2019 Blue do?

The usual,the coaches kids played virtually every minute of every game , they were able to work in the friends and family members and ride the backs of the better kids to win. The head coach was able to not get kicked out of any games this week and only had a minor dust up with an opposing teams parent. I guess you could say they are improving. What the coaches should do is buy a large t shirt ,one could go on the others shoulders , put said shirt on and people may think an actual adult is running that team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So YJ 2019 Blue is playing Skywalker Blue at National Draw. Who will win that one?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe its because it's not my first daughetr and I'm older now, but early in this summer travel season, the drive seemed longer this weekend, the games seemed shorter and the roster seemed bigger. Oh and the weather wasn't great.

None are positive

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe its because it's not my first daughetr and I'm older now, but early in this summer travel season, the drive seemed longer this weekend, the games seemed shorter and the roster seemed bigger. Oh and the weather wasn't great.

None are positive

Great post. Second time around here too and the perspective definitely changes. For my oldest, the joy of the weekend came out of competing and hoping her team beat the other teams and watching her play and grow. And that's fine. But what we learn is that ultimately, that success (or lack thereof) is really not all that important and that what is sustainable is what they do with their talents on (but mostly off) the field. In the end, I could not possibly be happier than I am about my oldest daughter's outcome.

But all that being said, my favorite part of this weekend was not winning or making a great play etc. (and sure, those were cool things) but instead it was walking on the boardwalk in OC and handing my kid a $20 bill and telling her she could go on a bunch of rides. Honestly, what I am going to remember most about this past weekend is not the short fields, the rainy weather, the short games, the drunk parents late on Saturday night, but what I am going to remember is having fun with my kid and seeing her be a little girl and a fierce competitor all on the same weekend.

It goes fast. Enjoy it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My youngest daughter is scheduled to play at Savitch field does anybody know if thats at Cherokee High School . Thanks in advance

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My youngest daughter is scheduled to play at Savitch field does anybody know if thats at Cherokee High School . Thanks in advance

No. A different venue

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No. A different venue

But it is very close...they will run shuttle buses between Cherokee and Savitch. I remember parking was not terrrible at Savitch too.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

None are positive

Well said
great perspective and post

Great post. Second time around here too and the perspective definitely changes. For my oldest, the joy of the weekend came out of competing and hoping her team beat the other teams and watching her play and grow. And that's fine. But what we learn is that ultimately, that success (or lack thereof) is really not all that important and that what is sustainable is what they do with their talents on (but mostly off) the field. In the end, I could not possibly be happier than I am about my oldest daughter's outcome.

But all that being said, my favorite part of this weekend was not winning or making a great play etc. (and sure, those were cool things) but instead it was walking on the boardwalk in OC and handing my kid a $20 bill and telling her she could go on a bunch of rides. Honestly, what I am going to remember most about this past weekend is not the short fields, the rainy weather, the short games, the drunk parents late on Saturday night, but what I am going to remember is having fun with my kid and seeing her be a little girl and a fierce competitor all on the same weekend.

It goes fast. Enjoy it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How is it possible that as the girls get older they play a less structured game? My daughter is on a 2017 team, and since they hit recruitment age, it has become the most selfish style of play I've ever witnessed. Everyone is out for themselves and the team be damned. It's a shame. You would think the coaches would discourage this but it actually seems as if they really don't care as long as they get the W.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How is it possible that as the girls get older they play a less structured game? My daughter is on a 2017 team, and since they hit recruitment age, it has become the most selfish style of play I've ever witnessed. Everyone is out for themselves and the team be damned. It's a shame. You would think the coaches would discourage this but it actually seems as if they really don't care as long as they get the W.

Oh no!! I was hoping it would improve as they got older!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
W's are what keeep clubs in business and like it has been pointed out time and time again
Travel sports are a business

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh no!! I was hoping it would improve as they got older!

No, it definitely gets worse!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AHHHH. Finally! A parent speaks of a memorable moment with their daughter and not any LAX smack. That memory of watching her play some boardwalk games with a smile is far more important then a LAX game!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AHHHH. Finally! A parent speaks of a memorable moment with their daughter and not any LAX smack. That memory of watching her play some boardwalk games with a smile is far more important then a LAX game!

So then save the 3 grand a year and just go on family vacations instead or be brave enough to say you love that your kid is on the YJ's like the rest of us and wear your sweatshirt proudly

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
question if anyone can answer....I was up at the PAL complex yesterday and there was YJ lacrosse on the main turf field. it appeared to be a scrimmage I assume. or was that one team because when the girls took a lap around the field I counted about 40 or more girls. no way does one team carry that many girls. how do they all get on the field? Looked like a high school age team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It was the U15 tryout.

Like Reply Quote
A