BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,630
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 46 of 52 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 51 52
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
LI showcase tryouts can anyone share previous experience?thoughts?

Do committed boys go to this or not?

I know a player in suffolk that is committed and last year he didn't sign up for this event after starting the 2 previous years in the game. He told his parents that he wanted to give an opportunity to players that were not yet committed like he already was. After the first round of try outs he received a call at his house asking why he wasn't at the try outs and to be at the next round because he is a starter in the game.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes doing showcase if the rain ever stops and if it stops getting cancelled. Lots of kids attend but it is a great experience and lets you know where you stand for your year.

Just a question from someone who didn't attend the Run with the Best. Our friend said everyone got emails which they should for that amount of money but were there any individual emails. They only received threads for prospect days. Isn't it just less expensive to just contact the schools you are interested in and find out the dates of their prospects camps yourself. Anyone can attend a prospect day if they show interest in the school. When you contact a school directly you can also get information on hs grades and sat scores needed to actually get into your school of choice. And not to be a wiseass - just trying to find information - did any of the coaches say how many spots/scholarships are still available for the different age groups for the colleges that attended and were watching the boys. My son received thread emails from several schools from another tournament he attended who were upfront and honest about open spots for his age group before we signed up for the prospect days and some did not offer any information. It was nice to see some honesty out there and not just someone grabbing for my wallet.

Great event. Not everyone received emails to prospect days. Its a fact. Had a decent amount of friends (not acquaintances) attend event. Some received emails others did not. Those who did, did not receive emails from the same schools that my son did. Coaches at recruiting meeting specifically spoke about dates as to when they can actively contact a player and when they can not. They both said first step they can initiate is inviting to their prospect day. Once that is initiated then the process can move forward. The fact that coaches who were at the event sent out prospect day info to some players and not all in my book shows interest. It was not a cattle call of invites. Did not receive 25 invites but 5 to 6 for decent programs. In regards to the number of players they are looking for I think that this wouldn't have been the proper venue for that. The other thing is coaches are always looking for the best players to fill their roster. Yes this was a pay to attend event but it was well run and worth it in my book.

I think there are different levels of interest. Invite to Prospect day is a start. A personal email stating "we saw you play an are interested in you, you should come to our camp" is the next level. After that if the coach says, I can't call you but please call me... And then when a coach calls your HS coach and says we like this kid he needs to come to our camp is yet another level of interest. That being said, if you like the school and there's any level of interest from that school, I think you have to continue to pursue it.

Mine is committed already so I will share a few thoughts. You are only being recruited when a coach calls your coach and asks you to call him. If that call goes well they will ask you to visit the school.

Prospect days are a good start, but please be clear that prospect days make the coaches money and they want as many kids there as possible. It might make everyone feel good to get the prospect day emails, but the truth is my kid (again already committed) received many of them and some, said we saw you play at xxx, when he wasn't even at xxx event.

Best way in my experience-

understand your kids level and look for schools that fit his play level and academic level. If your kid is a great player but having B and C grades, probably wouldn't waste time on Ivy. SO just be realistic about both.

Then email those coaches in advance of the events you attend and then follow up with an email after those events. Give your club coaches a heads up on the schools you want, if they are interested, they will call. If they are not, you have your answer.

It is extremely frustrating going to these events and then hoping your kid did well enough to get recognized by some school. You need to be proactive...my two cents, best of luck to all your boys.

Good advice all the way around.

Prospect days can be great or a waste of time, but depending on schedule they can also be a great way to get some good coaching so the value really depends on your son's overall situation.

Some schools actually do use them as serious evaluation tools, and as we all know you can't always showcase your skills in a tournament based upon the flow of the games, did the right coach happen to be watching at the right time, etc.

That being said you are absolutely correct, you will know when a school is interested . They will contact either your club coach or high school coach. Our son just did the Prep School Showcase on Sunday and on Tuesday we had an email from his club coach with feedback from several schools.

The other thing with prospect days is that your schedule and the schools might not match up which is true with our son this summer so he is doing two prospect days sort of on a flyer because he wants to be seriously considered by those two schools, and since he is being looked at by 6+ right now we have at least some sort of validation that we are not out to lunch in regards to his current ability to play in college.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How were the showcases this weekend? fl$, run with the best, and prep lax? Were they run well? Did coaches attend?

Prep School showcase was very well attended. Saw many head coaches from a variety of top D1 programs including Ivies. Many other assistant D1 coaches as well. Many games had 30-40 coaches on the side lines. There where many D3 coaches as well from top schools.

Prep School Lacrosse Showcase was disrupted a bit with the weather, but they still got in all of the games. There were a lot of coaches there and as you said in some cases 30-40 at a time watching games.

This is a really good event.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes doing showcase if the rain ever stops and if it stops getting cancelled. Lots of kids attend but it is a great experience and lets you know where you stand for your year.

Just a question from someone who didn't attend the Run with the Best. Our friend said everyone got emails which they should for that amount of money but were there any individual emails. They only received threads for prospect days. Isn't it just less expensive to just contact the schools you are interested in and find out the dates of their prospects camps yourself. Anyone can attend a prospect day if they show interest in the school. When you contact a school directly you can also get information on hs grades and sat scores needed to actually get into your school of choice. And not to be a wiseass - just trying to find information - did any of the coaches say how many spots/scholarships are still available for the different age groups for the colleges that attended and were watching the boys. My son received thread emails from several schools from another tournament he attended who were upfront and honest about open spots for his age group before we signed up for the prospect days and some did not offer any information. It was nice to see some honesty out there and not just someone grabbing for my wallet.

Great event. Not everyone received emails to prospect days. Its a fact. Had a decent amount of friends (not acquaintances) attend event. Some received emails others did not. Those who did, did not receive emails from the same schools that my son did. Coaches at recruiting meeting specifically spoke about dates as to when they can actively contact a player and when they can not. They both said first step they can initiate is inviting to their prospect day. Once that is initiated then the process can move forward. The fact that coaches who were at the event sent out prospect day info to some players and not all in my book shows interest. It was not a cattle call of invites. Did not receive 25 invites but 5 to 6 for decent programs. In regards to the number of players they are looking for I think that this wouldn't have been the proper venue for that. The other thing is coaches are always looking for the best players to fill their roster. Yes this was a pay to attend event but it was well run and worth it in my book.

I think there are different levels of interest. Invite to Prospect day is a start. A personal email stating "we saw you play an are interested in you, you should come to our camp" is the next level. After that if the coach says, I can't call you but please call me... And then when a coach calls your HS coach and says we like this kid he needs to come to our camp is yet another level of interest. That being said, if you like the school and there's any level of interest from that school, I think you have to continue to pursue it.

Mine is committed already so I will share a few thoughts. You are only being recruited when a coach calls your coach and asks you to call him. If that call goes well they will ask you to visit the school.

Prospect days are a good start, but please be clear that prospect days make the coaches money and they want as many kids there as possible. It might make everyone feel good to get the prospect day emails, but the truth is my kid (again already committed) received many of them and some, said we saw you play at xxx, when he wasn't even at xxx event.

understand your kids level and look for schools that fit his play level and academic level. If your kid is a great player but having B and C grades, probably wouldn't waste time on Ivy. SO just be realistic about both.

Then email those coaches in advance of the events you attend and then follow up with an email after those events. Give your club coaches a heads up on the schools you want, if they are interested, they will call. If they are not, you have your answer.

It is extremely frustrating going to these events and then hoping your kid did well enough to get recognized by some school. You need to be proactive...my two cents, best of luck to all your boys.

I agree 100%. As for the event and the interest in my son it was after a coach/coaches approached him after games and spoke to him. He played very well and it was commented on by a number of people. The prospect days yes of course make money for the schools but its the first contact and where it goes from there. Asking for transcripts and coach information are a good sign of true interest. We have also received those emails we saw you play at such and such event and he wasn't even there. All I am trying to say is the event was good and my son did receive some decent prospect day invites after the event. I know many players have yet to receive any. Assess how your kid did and go from there. Next step hopefully will be contact with travel coach and high school coach. Its a start.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good advice all the way around.

Prospect days can be great or a waste of time, but depending on schedule they can also be a great way to get some good coaching so the value really depends on your son's overall situation.

Some schools actually do use them as serious evaluation tools, and as we all know you can't always showcase your skills in a tournament based upon the flow of the games, did the right coach happen to be watching at the right time, etc.

That being said you are absolutely correct, you will know when a school is interested . They will contact either your club coach or high school coach. Our son just did the Prep School Showcase on Sunday and on Tuesday we had an email from his club coach with feedback from several schools.

The other thing with prospect days is that your schedule and the schools might not match up which is true with our son this summer so he is doing two prospect days sort of on a flyer because he wants to be seriously considered by those two schools, and since he is being looked at by 6+ right now we have at least some sort of validation that we are not out to lunch in regards to his current ability to play in college.

I agree, if top schools are calling your son's coach and expressing interest, you're heading in the right direction. Without question, it is validation on what level your son can play at. They aren't calling your son's coach for therapy, they're doing their job.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Platinum cup schedule is out.. looks like it is going to be a great event. Express Team 1 play 91Extreme in their first round.

Then.. Express Team 1 vs..
Dukes
Laxachusetts

Then.. 91Extreme vs..
Laxachusetts
Dukes

... this is only the play in rounds for placement for Sunday, top 8 make it to the playoffs, the remaining go to the Challenge Match.

12 top 2018 teams entered:
LI Express North
Crabs
Mesa Fresh
WCS
Madlax
Leading Edge
Prime Time
HHH
Dukes
Laxachusetts
LI Express
Team 91 Extreme

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is difference between HHH and Dukes? I always thought they were the same, but listed here as separate squads. A lot of the commits are often listed as having played for "Dukes HHH".

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there any independent showcases for boys like their are for girls?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1st round of the LI SHowcase and I have to say, it seemed like way to many kids to make honest, realistic determinations and cuts after only all kids playing 2 25 minute games. They really should have limited the number of players. My son is a goalie and he seemed to be one of roughly 14=16 goalies there. Each team had 2-3 goalies minimum so minimal playing time and no chance to get into any rhythm before being pulled out for the next kid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1st round of the LI SHowcase and I have to say, it seemed like way to many kids to make honest, realistic determinations and cuts after only all kids playing 2 25 minute games. They really should have limited the number of players. My son is a goalie and he seemed to be one of roughly 14=16 goalies there. Each team had 2-3 goalies minimum so minimal playing time and no chance to get into any rhythm before being pulled out for the next kid.

Our team only had two poles... So every time the other team had the ball they scored. Great for our goalies. On a whole, I would have to say that that was the biggest waste of time my son has ever been a part of. The grass was 6 inches high!!! There were barely any lines on the fields. No balls on end line. Refs calling stupid procedural penalties. Having been through this before, it's clear that the picking of the team will have little to do with yesterdays cluster. That was just another money grab, somebody walked away with a nice payday. From the games I saw, no one was really a superstar. So it will all be about reputation, connection and current committed status.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most of the final 40 players are picked before the tryouts start so no worries.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Our team only had two poles... So every time the other team had the ball they scored. Great for our goalies. On a whole, I would have to say that that was the biggest waste of time my son has ever been a part of. The grass was 6 inches high!!! There were barely any lines on the fields. No balls on end line. Refs calling stupid procedural penalties. Having been through this before, it's clear that the picking of the team will have little to do with yesterdays cluster. That was just another money grab, somebody walked away with a nice payday. From the games I saw, no one was really a superstar. So it will all be about reputation, connection and current committed status.

Goalie is the most political of all the positions in the showcase because only 4 make the final 40 and only 2 make the team. Coaches running the event lobby for there own guys.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the li showcase?

I thought I was generally aware of most events, mine is going to mav and JR, but I guess I missed this one.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the li showcase?

I thought I was generally aware of most events, mine is going to mav and JR, but I guess I missed this one.

Its a showcase game where 20 from Nassau play 20 from Suffolk in front of an insane amount of college coaches at SUNY Farmingdale. There are 2 rounds of tryouts that each get a lot of college coaches attending as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the LI showcase should have two teams one for uncommitted players and one for committed players. It gives some kids a chance to show themselves in front of college coaches

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the li showcase?

Its a showcase game where 20 from Nassau play 20 from Suffolk in front of an insane amount of college coaches at SUNY Farmingdale. There are 2 rounds of tryouts that each get a lot of college coaches attending as well.

Public school only !!!! sorry Privates !

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Goalie is the most political of all the positions in the showcase because only 4 make the final 40 and only 2 make the team. Coaches running the event lobby for there own guys.

Who was running Suffolk?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the li showcase?

Public School only!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
two poles? Hah. My son's first game we only had one, and we had two attackmen playing defense. Ridiculous. Also, I saw a [lacrosse] of a lot of the same helmets playing on the same teams. How fair is that as this was an individual event, not a team event. 4 goalies picked out of 14 or so attending and each goalie getting about 10-15 minutes of total playing time. No way that is a fair sampling. There were no standout goalies because none of them got the chance to play enough to get into any type of flow.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the LI showcase should have two teams one for uncommitted players and one for committed players. It gives some kids a chance to show themselves in front of college coaches

That is a great idea!! The only problem is most committed players are still trying to get better offers and enter events as uncommitted. There were a ton of committed players in the showcase last fall at Farmingdale that was for uncommitted only.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LI showcase yesterday 6/4/2015 had some good talent out there. My sons first show case and I have to say he came off the field feeling pretty much content of his performance. Whether he gets a call or not it was a good experience for him and now he knows what to expect. Good luck to all that make the team. Go SUFFOLK!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
any idea when the contact those who made it?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am the parent of a 2019 goalie. I read this thread to see what is coming down the pike. Upsetting to here this about a showcase that is not club driven. However, I am NOW a believer that the goalie spots are given to the boys that the coaches want. From what I have seen so far of the club showcases, the best goalie of the day has not gotten selected to advance. Whether it be 3d, Brine etc.

I was hoping things would get better when he began playing in HS.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
any idea when the contact those who made it?

we got an email today saying congratulations you made it to round two. We attended yesterdays tryouts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Todays Nassau tryouts were great. Short sweet and to the point. Did my son make the final 40 No, but it was fair and the selection process seemed good. All teams seemed well balanced. There were a few no shows, but it is what it is. He played in 3 games and no team seemed to be lacking any particular position. All teams of the 6 had between 16 to 18 kids. A fair number to get everyone a decent amount of reps. Good luck to the boys who made it to the next round.Go Nassau. AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Todays Nassau tryouts were great. Short sweet and to the point. Did my son make the final 40 No, but it was fair and the selection process seemed good. All teams seemed well balanced. There were a few no shows, but it is what it is. He played in 3 games and no team seemed to be lacking any particular position. All teams of the 6 had between 16 to 18 kids. A fair number to get everyone a decent amount of reps. Good luck to the boys who made it to the next round.Go Nassau. AM

Laying it on a little thick

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Laying it on a little thick

Nassau will be smoked by Suffolk, as usual

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what amazes me is that there are only 32 kids listed when they said 40 will be asked to the second round. The other grades have 42 kids going to the second round so what is going on????

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So let's figure this out there were 32 boys asked back to a second round "top 40" Nassau tryout today. How does that make sense when the other grades asked 42 boys each to their second round.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really what's going on! They said 40 for the next round and only 32 kids were picked! Is that fair?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really what's going on! They said 40 for the next round and only 32 kids were picked! Is that fair?

The rest of the players weren't at try outs but will be at the final 40.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

If that's the case then this showcase is a farce just like the rest. Organizers don't you get it people are tired of the no show add-ons. Cheapens your event. Let the kids play. You will be surprised how much these players change in 6 months. Especially with puberty hitting. So should we award American Pharaoh the Triple Crown. Needs to run the race. Same for tryouts. Need to be there to be considered.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Each county wants to win - All is fair in love and war. Don t complain until the final rosater is out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Each county wants to win - All is fair in love and war. Don t complain until the final rosater is out.

Love my child and hate war. All that is asked by the parents who pay for their child to participate in these events is a fair tryout. Not some pre determined money grab. Put the best players on the field that actually tried out. We know this is almost impossible but it would be nice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game

If that's the case then this showcase is a farce just like the rest. Organizers don't you get it people are tired of the no show add-ons. Cheapens your event. Let the kids play. You will be surprised how much these players change in 6 months. Especially with puberty hitting. So should we award American Pharaoh the Triple Crown. Needs to run the race. Same for tryouts. Need to be there to be considered.

Like American Phataoh some are no brainers.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I believe that players that were in the LI Champioship get a pass to the second round - between Manhassett - CSH ad Syosset that could be the eight kids you are lookig for

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NEW TOPIC. I Heard A Rumor that Team91 and the Long Island Jesters were going to Join Forces together Has anyone heard the same?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NEW TOPIC. I Heard A Rumor that Team91 and the Long Island Jesters were going to Join Forces together Has anyone heard the same?

Where did you hear that rumor? When you started it on here?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Didn't hear that but if true I doubt it would be joining forces. It would most likely be 91 buying the jesters who are a sinking ship.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

.. and last year it was Team 91 and Laxachussetts.

Page 46 of 52 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard