BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 31 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 30 31
Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Sachem North LAX
$950 SACHEM NORTH THIEVES!!!! That's $950 a player. and there's SSC underling coaches at the varsity coaches knees like minions making sure goes well. highway robbery. for a handful of tournaments definitely a conflict of interest. 950 kid times probably 17-20 kids. Lmfao. and people are dumb enough to pay that. those coaches will be high giving at the high stakes table in Atlantic city with your money or buying themselves a new car

You have no idea what you are talking about.
Do you even know how much it costs per team to enter a tournament?
How much does insurance cost?
Uniforms?
Travel expenses for coaches to go to away tournaments?
If you think anyone is getting rich off of $ 950 a kid for 5 tournaments you dont have a clue.
If you think they are ripping you off go join the Express or 91 and pay $2500 plus.
tournament: max 1500x5= 7500 (and that's stretching it... ALOT! Insurance: $25.00/player = $250.00 uniforms: fully sublimated: $100.00/uniform: $2000.00. Travel expenses for coaches????? I guess around 10 grand. But again $1500/tourney is estimating high.... Please if I'm wrong let me know!!!! And if you paid higher for anything you got ripped off

I am not going to debate number with you on a bulletin board.
You seem so bitter about something that I don't think it would make a difference what I showed you anyway.
Reading the other posts here it seems that many people think that $ 950 would be a bargain and I agree with them.
If you think you are being ripped off as you said there are many club teams you can go to and pay at least double that so go for it.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
$950 SACHEM NORTH THIEVES!!!! That's $950 a player. and there's SSC underling coaches at the varsity coaches knees like minions making sure goes well. highway robbery. for a handful of tournaments definitely a conflict of interest. 950 kid times probably 17-20 kids. Lmfao. and people are dumb enough to pay that. those coaches will be high giving at the high stakes table in Atlantic city with your money or buying themselves a new car

Only a conflict if they are telling ids they MUST play for them in summer or will not play varsity in spring. Which is not the case. They have a sophomore this year that started on varsity and does not play summer with them. The best kids will play in the spring. Doesn't matter where they play summer.

Uniforms?
If you think anyone is getting rich off of $ 950 a kid for 5 tournaments you dont have a clue.
If you think they are ripping you off go join the Express or 91 and pay $2500 plus.
tournament: max 1500x5= 7500 (and that's stretching it... ALOT! Insurance: $25.00/player = $250.00 uniforms: fully sublimated: $100.00/uniform: $2000.00. Travel expenses for coaches????? I guess around 10 grand. But again $1500/tourney is estimating high.... Please if I'm wrong let me know!!!! And if you paid higher for anything you got ripped off

Cost is not the issue. It is a clear conflict of interest.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Only a conflict if they are telling ids they MUST play for them in summer or will not play varsity in spring. Which is not the case. They have a sophomore this year that started on varsity and does not play summer with them. The best kids will play in the spring. Doesn't matter where they play summer.

Uniforms?

Cost is not the issue. It is a clear conflict of interest.

I am not involved with Sachem but I am a coach. I coach both at the high school level and the club level. I am qualified and certified. I do not see the conflict at these numbers.

The high school coach gets paid from march to may. After may his paid position is over. However if you want a successful program, there must be a continuation of playing together. Who should keep the kids together? Who should build the continuity to the HS program? A father who may or may not be a coach? A father who may or may not have a vested interest in his own son? or the HS staff who wants to keep the school program and the kids coming to his program in the future playing together?

Oh, I get it, because he wants to build a program he should do it for free? He just finished a varsity season with six days a week plus film study and planning. He scouted games that were coming up etc.... Now, he should leave his own kids and or wife or family or fishing or whatever else he may enjoy during his summer to coach your kid for free. He offers no value and should be so generous as to donate another couple of hundred hours to your son so there is no conflict of interest.

Maybe you would rather he took a position for Express or Fill in the blank club where he has no worries about parents or kids interfering with his actual livelihood because little johnny should be the starting attackman instead of # 4.

But then I bet there would be the accusation that if you dont pay to play for him at such and such club you will be punished. So I guess he is in a no win situation isnt he. How dare him want to coach in the community his team comes from!

If you are uncomfortable, don't play for him. Go play for Igloo and spend $3500.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
conflict of interest for sure wake up sachem

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Parents need to get lives

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Parents need to get lives

couldn't agree more! can you parents just stop trying to protect your children from being exploited! the coaches have worked very hard to put your children in this position, just pay up and don't you dare take them to a competing summer program or we won't help them get recruited and will def take varsity playing time away.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yup what a jerk off that's I needed to hear...because a kid doesn't play on the schools summer tournament team and dump money in your pockets then no matter how good the kid.is when he comes out for varsity you'll bench him!?!? you my man are a [lacrosse] jerk off!! that's all I wanted to hear. I knew it. punk coward high ache lacrosse coaches threatening 6th and 7th graders with varsity playing time if they don't sign up for your pay as you play rising 7th and 8th grade programs. coward!! what school do u coach at coward. criminal

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wouldn't spend $3500 either bozo

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no u need to get a job coach coward. robbing people. bet u get the kids on that team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
nah coach I got one better if the community respects your program enough they'll play for u when they get to high school. or heres another I'm a coach I have a job with long hours just like you......guess what tough Tony I coach the same kids you do for free. and yeah we go to the same tournaments you do each summer. and I love it. I live for it. I can't wait to get outta work after getting up 3:30 am. the last thing on my my mind when I'm driving home is getting paid to coach you puttz. I wouldn't dream of it. we take 25 or 50 a player to pay for each tournament but that's it. I bought uniforms out of my pocket chief. and yeah here's another thing......I'm married too....three kids. we fish. go away. we do all that. coaching lacrosse never interferes. guess what else I do.....coach football .....no charge. so yeah the blow hard varsity coach that "wants to keep the kids in his community playing together ([lacrosse]) yeah do it cuz u love it not for money. tell your wife if she don't like what you're doing then pack up.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yup what a jerk off that's I needed to hear...because a kid doesn't play on the schools summer tournament team and dump money in your pockets then no matter how good the kid.is when he comes out for varsity you'll bench him!?!? you my man are a [lacrosse] jerk off!! that's all I wanted to hear. I knew it. punk coward high ache lacrosse coaches threatening 6th and 7th graders with varsity playing time if they don't sign up for your pay as you play rising 7th and 8th grade programs. coward!! what school do u coach at coward. criminal

Hello.... You are responding to someone being sarcastic ( that means the previous post agrees with you!) can't you read?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Omg what is going on here? Almost every town HS that I know of has some sort of a summer program.Most have cut down the number of tournaments and added a night league because many players are on travel teams that are year round. Of course the HS coaches will coach the team, Why would anyone want someone else? they work on the plays continue to get to know the upcoming players and have a vested interest in them and care about them as student athletes. The team grows together and hopefully gets better! it's a no brainer! sorry but Rabil is working in the summer with the Thompson brothers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hooray Finally Well Said... Thank you ...for the love of the game and for the kids that is why coaches coach!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
umm who's to say those coaches will still be there when the kid gets to hs nerdy lacrosse dad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tourney costs increase almost every year - some tourneys are now running in the range between $2500-$5500 dependent upon "exposure"...........fl$ in 3D = $5500

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that's why I coach cuz love to

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it is a conflict.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You parents started this mess. Demanded Little Johnny get better coaching than the PAL could offer in order to get a scholarship LOL. The Travel teams formed and were more than happy to take your money, laughing all the way to the bank. If there was no demand there wouldn't be 35 travel teams. Then some towns pushed back demanding that you stay with the town program (HS) or not play on varsity. Boo Hoo. These travel teams are a joke. You know how many 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th grade prodigies are no longer playing lacrosse? More than the travel teams would like to admit. But they will fill a demand. If parents want a college coach to coach their kindergartener, for the right price it will be offered. Hopefully, in 20 years when we look back at all of this nonsence, (2nd grade travel teams,9th graders committing to Hopkins) we will ask what the [lacrosse] were we thinking and go back to some level of common sense!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Or your other option is attend a high school where they offer no summer play at all, the team never progresses, you cant' have it both ways. Try and compete against the schools that do offer it, let me tell you it isn't pretty.

Take it from someone who lives in a district that offers zilch. You are lucky you at least have an option to pay.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You parents started this mess. Demanded Little Johnny get better coaching than the PAL could offer in order to get a scholarship LOL. The Travel teams formed and were more than happy to take your money, laughing all the way to the bank. If there was no demand there wouldn't be 35 travel teams. Then some towns pushed back demanding that you stay with the town program (HS) or not play on varsity. Boo Hoo. These travel teams are a joke. You know how many 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th grade prodigies are no longer playing lacrosse? More than the travel teams would like to admit. But they will fill a demand. If parents want a college coach to coach their kindergartener, for the right price it will be offered. Hopefully, in 20 years when we look back at all of this nonsence, (2nd grade travel teams,9th graders committing to Hopkins) we will ask what the [lacrosse] were we thinking and go back to some level of common sense!

Hooray...someone who gets it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son benefited from the current system. He became a much better player and was a very early recruit. He is doing well in school and is enjoying high school. I am the first to admit though, that the system does not do well for the vast majority of the kids. My sense is that the sport will begin a slow decline as many parents will come to their senses and stop funding the insanity. I also believe the college coaches will start coming to their senses in the next couple of years as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't think so.

You parents?? Are you not a parent? Who then?

Yes, some parents want better coaching then what is offered by a handful of self appointed parents who control the local youth league. They also want their child to compete with the best.

Few if any parents on my sons team are fixated on an athletic scholarship.

Now, High School coaches are in the business of making money of the local kids. However, instead of competing in the free market coercion is used to force families to pay to play. Are the HS coaches who engage in this practice not laughing all the way to the bank?

You apparently believe this to be acceptable: "Then some towns pushed back demanding that that you stay with the town (HS) program or not play varsity." Really, that is acceptable? How about 4th graders being told they cant play on their town team if they also want to play for a club team? is that acceptable as well?

"These Travel Teams are a Joke." Really? Tell that to all of the kids that have played on them over the years. Go check and see who the top kids to come off the Island in recent years are. You will find that the large majority of them all played club ball growing up. They play club to help in their development as a player. Club lacrosse is played in addition to HS / Town lacrosse not in place of it.

There will be five times the amount of college coaches watching 2018 games between 91, Dukes, Crabs, Laxachusetts, Express, Madlax etc.. than their was watching the Long Island Championship Games. Tell the college coaches not to go because its a joke.

So, only 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grade boys who play for Club Teams stop playing lacrosse as they get older? All of the little super stars who "only play town/PAL" go on to be HS and college players? None of the town/PAL only kids hang it up?

Is it a bad thing to have a good coach work with young kids? If I could have had a college coach work with my kids when they were young I would have been very happy.

I am happy for any 9th grader who has the opportunity to commit to Hopkins.

Lacrosse is not alone, just about every sport has travel / elite clubs. Wrestling, Baseball, Basketball, Swimming, Track, Tennis, Volleyball, Gymnastics etc...
It is the exception not the rule that an athlete will reach their full potential by playing only locally.

However, in most cases if you are not on one of the Top Travel Teams there is no advantage over Town/PAL.

Enjoy watching your child play wherever that may be. Do what is best for your child and do not let others dictate where your child can play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't think so.

You parents?? Are you not a parent? Who then?

Yes, some parents want better coaching then what is offered by a handful of self appointed parents who control the local youth league. They also want their child to compete with the best.

Few if any parents on my sons team are fixated on an athletic scholarship.

Now, High School coaches are in the business of making money of the local kids. However, instead of competing in the free market coercion is used to force families to pay to play. Are the HS coaches who engage in this practice not laughing all the way to the bank?

You apparently believe this to be acceptable: "Then some towns pushed back demanding that that you stay with the town (HS) program or not play varsity." Really, that is acceptable? How about 4th graders being told they cant play on their town team if they also want to play for a club team? is that acceptable as well?

"These Travel Teams are a Joke." Really? Tell that to all of the kids that have played on them over the years. Go check and see who the top kids to come off the Island in recent years are. You will find that the large majority of them all played club ball growing up. They play club to help in their development as a player. Club lacrosse is played in addition to HS / Town lacrosse not in place of it.

There will be five times the amount of college coaches watching 2018 games between 91, Dukes, Crabs, Laxachusetts, Express, Madlax etc.. than their was watching the Long Island Championship Games. Tell the college coaches not to go because its a joke.

So, only 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grade boys who play for Club Teams stop playing lacrosse as they get older? All of the little super stars who "only play town/PAL" go on to be HS and college players? None of the town/PAL only kids hang it up?

Is it a bad thing to have a good coach work with young kids? If I could have had a college coach work with my kids when they were young I would have been very happy.

I am happy for any 9th grader who has the opportunity to commit to Hopkins.

Lacrosse is not alone, just about every sport has travel / elite clubs. Wrestling, Baseball, Basketball, Swimming, Track, Tennis, Volleyball, Gymnastics etc...
It is the exception not the rule that an athlete will reach their full potential by playing only locally.

However, in most cases if you are not on one of the Top Travel Teams there is no advantage over Town/PAL.

Enjoy watching your child play wherever that may be. Do what is best for your child and do not let others dictate where your child can play.

Well said. I for one agree.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
for $20,000+ dollars paid into travel if you think little Johnny playing at D3 Plattsburgh State is a good ROI then have at it. Good athletes and players will always have a place to play regardless of the kool aid being distributed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what a ****. are you a college rating service?

Last edited by America's Game; .
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hey I played at plattsburgh state. what's wrong with their lax program. hey listen at the end of the day when I hung my lacrosse stick up after my last game my senior year....pssst here's a secret....NONE OF.IT MATTERED!! I had a nice lacrosse career won some lost some. was all conference once. but no one cares after that. main thing was a graduated with a bachelor's degree. that's what matters in the end. last time I checked pro lax players were just barely cracking the 30k a year mark. that bachelor's degree helps because you need a real job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The whole system is a total joke. Paying upwards of $20k for a travel team chasing a dream. Sure, does it benefit about 15% who get D1 scholarships? How about the parents whose kids are on the B,C,D teams? Wouldn't that $$ be better served paying for the first year's college tuition. And hooray for the 9th grader that commits to Hopkins? No freakin way! It hurts everyone else. It forces parents to push their kids to mature quicker than is natural. And you wonder why there are parents screaming like maniacs on the sideline of a 4th grade Team 91 game? Read this month's Inside Lacrosse on the poaching of players. I applaud Kevin Corrigan of Notre Dame. He plainly states he will not recruit 9th and 10th graders. Thank God. And he will continue to recruit the early commits of other teams when they become upperclassmen (ie Brian Willets). And Pietramala says he hates the system and recruiting freshmen, yet continues to do it. I pray his early commits change their minds and go elsewhere. We are pushing our children to mature earlier and earlier, the coaches complain about the system, and then perpetuate the same nonsense. As a disclaimer, I'm not only a parent, but a varsity coach and also coached a travel team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ's had an 8th grader commit because its good for the YJ business model and her multi million dollar operation.

They gladly take your money whether you are team one or team five.

I am all for getting good training and learning the game but some kids will never ever be a D1 player regardless of what bumper sticker is on the car and how many personal lessons they sign up for. Parents need to come to grips with that

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great post!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The whole system is a total joke. Paying upwards of $20k for a travel team chasing a dream. Sure, does it benefit about 15% who get D1 scholarships? How about the parents whose kids are on the B,C,D teams? Wouldn't that $$ be better served paying for the first year's college tuition. And hooray for the 9th grader that commits to Hopkins? No freakin way! It hurts everyone else. It forces parents to push their kids to mature quicker than is natural. And you wonder why there are parents screaming like maniacs on the sideline of a 4th grade Team 91 game? Read this month's Inside Lacrosse on the poaching of players. I applaud Kevin Corrigan of Notre Dame. He plainly states he will not recruit 9th and 10th graders. Thank God. And he will continue to recruit the early commits of other teams when they become upperclassmen (ie Brian Willets). And Pietramala says he hates the system and recruiting freshmen, yet continues to do it. I pray his early commits change their minds and go elsewhere. We are pushing our children to mature earlier and earlier, the coaches complain about the system, and then perpetuate the same nonsense. As a disclaimer, I'm not only a parent, but a varsity coach and also coached a travel team.
Now take into account one student rarely gets a full ride, Usuauly they are split into halves or often even quarters. Schools do get inventive and along with alumni often make large cuts in price viable. The thing is if you make in as an athlete, scholarship or not they find ways to save you money but more important you get free tutors and the better teachers. That being said, th emoney spent probably has a less than return.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The cost to play lacrosse in my town is very close to that of many travel teams. If you play year round , hire paid coaches, pay for indoor time, fall league winter league etc.. on top of that parents send their kids to camps at a young age and as they get older to recruiting events / showcases.

- Town Lacrosse is not free.

- you say "committing early hurts all kids, it forces parents to push their kid to mature quicker than natural. "

I disagree, parents push their kids to study and get good grades so they can get into a good college. They want their kid to work hard in the classroom so they will have options when it is time to select a college. Hopefully the best school will help lead to a good job and a great career. The work ethic and study habits developed along the way will help to ensure that the child is prepared to lead a productive life.

"If Hopkins, Penn, North Carolina, or Virginia are willing to commit a 9th or 10th grader so be it". All great schools and chances are that most of the lacrosse players would not be accepted on their academic merits alone.

If your kid has an offer from Penn or Hopkins in the 9th grade but you want to hold out for Notre Dame thats your choice.

- Parent have been screaming on the sideline for years. They have been doing it long before 91 came along. Travel lacrosse has nothing to do with crazy parents. I have seen many parents at our towns youth games go way over the edge.

-Who cares if ND recruits committed kids? its good for everyone. more options. Some kids develop early some late. Some schools recruit early some don't, its their choice.

Work hard in the classroom and on the field. Play as many sports as you want. Play for a travel team if you want, don't play if you don't want to. It is your choice.

If your child develops early and has an opportunity to commit to a great school that you believe will be a good fit congratulations to you and your kid.

If your child develops later and is a top player i'm sure they will find a great school that is a great fit.

If an early commit to UNC gets recruited away by ND guess what? UNC now has a spot for a someone else.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do 8&9 year olds play with action figures anymore?? or are they playing lacrosse all year round and not allowed to be 8&9 anymore? I certainly am happy my childhood wasn't rushed. played three sports. excelled at lacrosse. we didn't have Jack [lacrosse] club teams though. just PAL. when that was over we moved on to the next season. the next sport. if there was club lax back then my dad wouldn't have paid for it. as much as he pushed us in sports, he always said each sport has its season. he would be thought these club coaches were crooks as he'd put it. all that being said.....there was no rush to grow up when I was a kid. had thousands of action figures played video games road bikes with my friends. and guess what I was a three time all county lax and football player in high school and played compettive division 2 lax in college and was a three year starter. so the club and bs and rushing the kids to grow up means zero in the end. if your kid is made for it he's made for it. don't stuff it down his throat. when it's done and it goes fast....it's just memories. the sticks, the cleats, they go up in the attic. u don't bring your lax accolades on job interviews

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great post. Now as a varsity coach and a travel coach can you add your thoughts to what makes a varsity program better. A kid playing within the town/school club during summer or playing with the best players possible at the club level. In my opinion the right club situation is far better because it makes the kid better i.e. a better varsity player and raises the level of other players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What everyone is missing is the national number is still just around 2% of varsity athletes that will get athletic money in college and then even fewer will be going to a top program.

Most if they play will be at a low D1, D2 or D3 with a big athletic award of $2,500 - $5,000 if the are lucky on a huge team roster of 50 players.

So the parents paying $5k+ a year to play on some clubs "C" team really need to have the facts about the ROI. There is still a much better ROI if you put the $5k into tutors to raise your child's grades and SAT scores. Lax is a great game but the travel business model is OUT OF CONTROL!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great post. Now as a varsity coach and a travel coach can you add your thoughts to what makes a varsity program better. A kid playing within the town/school club during summer or playing with the best players possible at the club level. In my opinion the right club situation is far better because it makes the kid better i.e. a better varsity player and raises the level of other players.

Travel teams should have one elite team.It's the only team college coaches are going to watch anyway. These 2,3,4 other teams are a waste. The coaching is usually sub par done by college kids in flip flops that would rather be at the beach anyway. Are they going to teach your kids fundamentals? Ask yourself why they aren't on the "A"team. Not athletic enough? Work on that. Can't catch and throw. Get them on a wall. Travel practice isn't going to help that anyway. Should there be town loyalty? Absolutely. Unless they are going to private school these are the kids they are going to play with. I'm about common sense. Can't you see these travel organizations only really care about the teams they can put on their website as winning tournaments. The others are a waste of time. If you really want your kid who is not on the "A" team to get better, seek out private lessons (in a small group is more cost effective). That is more beneficial than your son watching the travel team run man up from the sidelines with a coach that is getting paid no matter how pitiful the practice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
harsh look at the truth. this post is so spot on its scary.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do 8&9 year olds play with action figures anymore?? or are they playing lacrosse all year round and not allowed to be 8&9 anymore? I certainly am happy my childhood wasn't rushed. played three sports. excelled at lacrosse. we didn't have Jack [lacrosse] club teams though. just PAL. when that was over we moved on to the next season. the next sport. if there was club lax back then my dad wouldn't have paid for it. as much as he pushed us in sports, he always said each sport has its season. he would be thought these club coaches were crooks as he'd put it. all that being said.....there was no rush to grow up when I was a kid. had thousands of action figures played video games road bikes with my friends. and guess what I was a three time all county lax and football player in high school and played compettive division 2 lax in college and was a three year starter. so the club and bs and rushing the kids to grow up means zero in the end. if your kid is made for it he's made for it. don't stuff it down his throat. when it's done and it goes fast....it's just memories. the sticks, the cleats, they go up in the attic. u don't bring your lax accolades on job interviews

My 8 year old is required to be 10.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What everyone is missing is the national number is still just around 2% of varsity athletes that will get athletic money in college and then even fewer will be going to a top program.

Most if they play will be at a low D1, D2 or D3 with a big athletic award of $2,500 - $5,000 if the are lucky on a huge team roster of 50 players.

So the parents paying $5k+ a year to play on some clubs "C" team really need to have the facts about the ROI. There is still a much better ROI if you put the $5k into tutors to raise your child's grades and SAT scores. Lax is a great game but the travel business model is OUT OF CONTROL!

What is the value of the fun they have?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your 8 year old is required to be ten? Lmao I'm gonna go ahead and assume that's a joke

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the NCAA prohibited recruiting a kid (verbal commitments) until 11th grade a lot of this nonsense would stop. Parents (trying to compete with each other) wouldn't be compelled to put their kid on a 3rd grade travel team, nor would they be in a speed school before they enter elementary school. There is plenty of blame to go around, but there is no incentive to stop it. The parents are paying, the coaches are collecting and the colleges are competing for kids before they even have hair on their legs. What a mess.

Like Reply Quote
Page 21 of 31 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 30 31
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard