Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#117856 - 06/01/15 09:09 AM sometimes its NOT all about the kids  
EMTuKnowMe Offline
Back of THE CAGE
EMTuKnowMe  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

My 2021 son is on a competitive B/B+ team. he received hi marks at all of his tryouts and chose his current team. Candidly I think it is the right level for him, he would not standout on a 91A or IglooA. A solid player nonetheless. Works hard, and rarely misses practice. He has a passion for the game. His first year of travel was last year playing for a C team, and he was the top scorer there.

A little past midyear this year, (and after all dues were paid), coach switches him from position he always plays to one that is relatively unfamiliar to him. He never really received instruction on how to play the new position, and he played nervously there. His game playing time decreased dramatically- one minute or less- not exaggerating. His game play was cold and nervous. I tried several times (no screaming, no attacking) talking to the coach about the situation, he is adverse to talking to parents. So I emailed a couple of times, and still no response.

I am not a complainer without reason for concern, and i respect that it is the coach's decision when and where to play his/her players. But I see my son's passion being drained out of him. He is discouraged, he is not learning, not developing. The coach doesnt care about my son, that is clear, and my son cannot continue playing for this team, that is clear too. Tryout evaluations are not an exact science of course. And a coach has to become familiar with his team. But this is really an extreme situation. If my son was good enough to make the team, he shouldnt be treated like this. I wish that the coach's decisions and evaluations about my son were made much earlier, so that he would have had the chance to play for another team. My only concern is my son in this situation.

I see many posts on BOTC about long island lacrosse being 'all about the kids' and I hope that the coaches and directors who have talked the talk about that can now walk the walk, and help my son find a place to play for the rest of the season. I would hate to see him lose his love for the game. He is really discouraged and disappointed. Who can blame him.

If anyone out there needs a solid B+ 2021 player, please PM me. I can provide references to his skill level, willing to try out, and money is not the issue. Willing to travel as well.

Thank you.

Top Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#117896 - 06/01/15 11:04 AM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: EMTuKnowMe]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow. Sounds like youre a victim of a moneygrab. 3

Top Reply Quote
#117941 - 06/01/15 12:44 PM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: EMTuKnowMe]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sorry that happened to your son. You are correct, it is not always about the kids. I also see part of the problem being that try outs for most of these teams are in August/September. The kids make a team, commit to it, decide later on they want to switch. Leaving a team with open positions, so a coach needs to make changes. On the other hand, kids develop A LOT between try outs and tourney season. At such a young age, there is so much change in ability, both good and bad. The money grabbing should all stop and kids should try out for summer leagues in the Spring, like it used to be.

Top Reply Quote
#117944 - 06/01/15 12:48 PM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: EMTuKnowMe]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know how to PM on here but are you in suffolk? we're a 2021 team and we wouldn't turn your son away

Top Reply Quote
#117952 - 06/01/15 12:56 PM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are in nassau. Would like to talk to you as well

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#117954 - 06/01/15 12:58 PM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

if you log in as a user, the original poster can send you a private message, unless you care to post your email or phone contact info.

Top Reply Quote
#117963 - 06/01/15 01:12 PM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: EMTuKnowMe]  
EMTuKnowMe Offline
Back of THE CAGE
EMTuKnowMe  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

thank you so very much for the replies. really appreciate them. if you can please send me a private message with your contact info i will get in touch with you right away.

its just that i posted previously on this topic, and the thread was taken down, im not exactly sure why, but i dont want to take a chance of having it taken down again. i am trying to be respectful of the board, and also the team for whom my son joined this year.

you can send me a private message by clicking my username "EMTuKnowMe" and it will give you an option to send a private message.

thanks

Top Reply Quote
#117965 - 06/01/15 01:19 PM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok we're out east. Hang on let me figure out how to log on I'm new to this. we have a couple kids from Nassau on the squad. matter of fact here's my email bobbyo678@gmail.com shoot me an email I'll give you my number on there.

Top Reply Quote
#117999 - 06/01/15 02:48 PM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: EMTuKnowMe]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

that's a shame

Top Reply Quote
#118129 - 06/01/15 10:41 PM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: EMTuKnowMe]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by EMTuKnowMe
My 2021 son is on a competitive B/B+ team. he received hi marks at all of his tryouts and chose his current team. Candidly I think it is the right level for him, he would not standout on a 91A or IglooA. A solid player nonetheless. Works hard, and rarely misses practice. He has a passion for the game. His first year of travel was last year playing for a C team, and he was the top scorer there.

A little past midyear this year, (and after all dues were paid), coach switches him from position he always plays to one that is relatively unfamiliar to him. He never really received instruction on how to play the new position, and he played nervously there. His game playing time decreased dramatically- one minute or less- not exaggerating. His game play was cold and nervous. I tried several times (no screaming, no attacking) talking to the coach about the situation, he is adverse to talking to parents. So I emailed a couple of times, and still no response.

I am not a complainer without reason for concern, and i respect that it is the coach's decision when and where to play his/her players. But I see my son's passion being drained out of him. He is discouraged, he is not learning, not developing. The coach doesnt care about my son, that is clear, and my son cannot continue playing for this team, that is clear too. Tryout evaluations are not an exact science of course. And a coach has to become familiar with his team. But this is really an extreme situation. If my son was good enough to make the team, he shouldnt be treated like this. I wish that the coach's decisions and evaluations about my son were made much earlier, so that he would have had the chance to play for another team. My only concern is my son in this situation.

I see many posts on BOTC about long island lacrosse being 'all about the kids' and I hope that the coaches and directors who have talked the talk about that can now walk the walk, and help my son find a place to play for the rest of the season. I would hate to see him lose his love for the game. He is really discouraged and disappointed. Who can blame him.

If anyone out there needs a solid B+ 2021 player, please PM me. I can provide references to his skill level, willing to try out, and money is not the issue. Willing to travel as well.

Thank you.

You are doing your son a big disservice. He needs to learn to play through adversity and also at his age he should be able to play every position. He has a challenge in life and it is up to him to meet the challenge and learn the new position. Your job is to help him develop the backbone to meet tough challenges.

My advice is to tell your son to step up his practice intensity and ask the coach what he can do to become a better player. In the meantime encourage him to develop his stick skills on the wall and focus him on being in good shape. Lacrosse is about stick skills and running.

Next year you can try out for a different team.

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#118145 - 06/02/15 06:18 AM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: EMTuKnowMe]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

he said the coach won't speak to him

Top Reply Quote
#118148 - 06/02/15 06:39 AM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: Anonymous]  
EMTuKnowMe Offline
Back of THE CAGE
EMTuKnowMe  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

as i had typed in my earlier post, i cant talk to the coach, he wont talk in person and wont return my emails. i appreciate the fact that you responded, but, if he's good enough to make the team then he is good enough to play more than a minute on the field. and if the coach cared, he would spend some one on one time to coach my son about the way he thinks my son should play the position. i dont think having him play for such a short period during a game is the way to encourage him. if its obvious to me what is happening to my son, its visible to the coach too. i think the coach has a certain responsibility here, and he hasnt really lived up to it. of course this all could have been avoided had the coach made his adjustments and evaluations much earlier so that my son could have played for another team.

in any event thanks for your reply

Top Reply Quote
#118154 - 06/02/15 06:57 AM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: EMTuKnowMe]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Move to another club, no need to beat yourself up with these posts. Don't try and make sense of a senseless situation. Not all kids fit the coaches mold and not all coaches fit the kids mold.
Move on!

Top Reply Quote
#118167 - 06/02/15 07:19 AM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: EMTuKnowMe]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

man gone are the days when the varsity coaches employed by the schools ans already making a generous salary would just get a little part time gig in the summer bartending or as a life guard for a some pocket money or to stay busy. now it's gimme gimme at the expense of people's pockets and the community. people wake up these summer programs ran by the school mean nothing. nor will it make or break your kids chances of making and starting on the varsity roster. my kid never did it. played football as well as lacrosse. so when lax ended it was time to get ready for football. when football ended time for lax. my son knew what to do to stay sharp for lacrosse. his stick was in his hands for forty five minutes to an hour everyday without fail. if it was nasty out he'd be inside. I have the marks on my basement wall as proof lol. and he was all county in both sports. so don't give me these summer teams ran by the school hone their skills and it's worth the money. stop drinking the kool aid. I've seen quite a few schools just as invested in lax as another and still can't make the playoffs at the varsity level year after year. it means nothing these summer money grabs. don't think it helps

Top Reply Quote
#118177 - 06/02/15 07:51 AM Re: sometimes its NOT all about the kids [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just look at the YJ owner, big school job with benefits and then a thriving club /camp/tournament organization with almost 30 teams and 10 owned tournaments. Probably has revenues of $1.5-$3.0 million a year. Its not big business, its HUGE

Top Reply Quote
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Harding Battle by the Bay
Harding Summer Sunset
Andy Forsberg Memorial Lacrosse Tournament
JC17 Memorial Shootout for Dreams