BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,090
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 40 of 45 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 44 45
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2014/Summer 2015
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by America's Game
HS lacrosse will never get the proper coverage it deserves with localized coverage and bloggers. TY lives in Baltimore so he will cover games close to him. Unless a major network organization picks up HS lacrosse we will never get great unbiased national coverage. I am not 100% sure which school he went to (I think St Pauls School)but I do know he gives MD schools a bit more love. Lets also hope he doesn't get funding (advertising dollars on his site, plane tickets to cover tournaments, etc.) from one of the bigger travel programs because than it will be all about that team and its players.

How is it possible he does not get paid by the events and event owners that he covers? Where else is revenue in what he does??

I cant tell you his approach or business model. I think he gets a little from everyone That's my guess and don't really know. The fact he left Inside Lacrosse and started something on his own could mean he has a sponsor. Just hope its not a particular program.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fair points, and I don't know either. The revenue possibilities here are pretty limited to college coaches, events guys, club owners, prep school programs and to a much lower extent advertising billboards on the website. I seriously doubt college coaches pay for this in lacrosse, but some do in other major sports. The only way this could possibly work is some events guy or prep school program wants coverage and pays his way to come and to cover the events and games. That is certainly fraught with conflicts of interest but is what it is.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fair points, and I don't know either. The revenue possibilities here are pretty limited to college coaches, events guys, club owners, prep school programs and to a much lower extent advertising billboards on the website. I seriously doubt college coaches pay for this in lacrosse, but some do in other major sports. The only way this could possibly work is some events guy or prep school program wants coverage and pays his way to come and to cover the events and games. That is certainly fraught with conflicts of interest but is what it is.

How is that a conflict of interest? Works for himself and reports a bunch of fluff. Any different than Newsday or other rag paper? You make it seem like he is the all knowing all telling. Funny thing is I was standing next to him at a PA event and he was writing down verbatim what was being told to him on the phone.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For a sport that struggles to get people to pay to attend its pinnacle event, the college national championship, doubtful there's much in the way of revenue for bloggers. Lacrosse has a very long way to go before it's considered a major sport.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How is that a conflict of interest? Works for himself and reports a bunch of fluff. Any different than Newsday or other rag paper? You make it seem like he is the all knowing all telling. Funny thing is I was standing next to him at a PA event and he was writing down verbatim what was being told to him on the phone.

I think you and the earlier commenter are in agreement. There isn't any real dough being a lacrosse blogger, and what little there is comes from hyping kids and collecting what he can for it. And come on, you think some 3d guy is going to not write up the owner's son (who happens to be a good player) most at their events? Frankly I don't care much, but he has over 11K followers who do care and this seems to make them happy to be in a lacrosse social media sewing circle. My own son follows him on Twitter and so be it, he's 13. The good thing about 13 year olds is they get older and care less and less about things like this. Good for the kids who do get recognized and for them that is exciting and neat. Like getting some ice cream. Next...

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For a sport that struggles to get people to pay to attend its pinnacle event, the college national championship, doubtful there's much in the way of revenue for bloggers. Lacrosse has a very long way to go before it's considered a major sport.

Lacrosse wouldn't struggle to fill Byrd Stadium or another 40,000 - 50,000 venue even on Memorial Day w/e. NFL stadiums are the worst places to put them and are the only places the lacrosse FF go to. You don't see the Frozen Four going into domes to see if 60,000+ people will pay to watch on the jumbo tron. Lacrosse seems to be a sport struggling with common sense more than anything else.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse Unlimited used to pay him to follow the TT, my guess is his lifestyle (chipotle and whatever in in his red solo cup)is being subsidized by Mr Crabs and the BLC...just an observation

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse Unlimited used to pay him to follow the TT, my guess is his lifestyle (chipotle and whatever in in his red solo cup)is being subsidized by Mr Crabs and the BLC...just an observation

Who knows, and Ty is certainly under no obligation to say. It is very transparent he came out of the gates with his new venture heaping praises on LI and Philly kids and going to events there constantly. Now, not so much. Back in the old B'more MIAA mafia circles...writing about the games there. The ebb and flow is who pays for it, and there is nothing wrong with that. But that is about as evolved as this sport is now, which isn't much at all.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Lax Sports Network has just been announced. Lets wish this new network much success and hope it helps promote the sport we all love.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who was on the other end of the phone? My guess is someone who is backing him.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who was on the other end of the phone? My guess is someone who is backing him.

Im not NSA...have no idea but to speculate it might have been an assistant coach trying to get props for his scouting so head coach can pat him on the back.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are from LI and we have 8 D1 committed players on our varsity team and none of them, including my son, plays for a travel team. They don't want injury.

That is interesting, my son's future coach indicated to him he should play club, we are in a non-hotbed and I'd love to have him skip our Varsity season, too many hacks and a bizarre coaching situation.

where did they get the exposure? There are so many camps hard to tell which ones are worth it

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
... It's a very bad sign if your D1 committed son is more concerned about injury vs the urge to compete...
might be early signs of burn out. Kids playing year round since 4th grade can do that.

btw- most of these "committed" players are concerned about losing What?? ... potential sports injury. 1/4 scoralship?? please... think of how rediculious that logic is when you compare the scores of college athletes that weigh foregoing eligibility to protect millions $$$$ pro contract

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree on that. I am struggling to get some teaching moment thing through to my sons. One is a 2017 commit and one is about to go into the summer after 8th grade summer club season. When I did college sport in another sport a long tim ago my goals in high school were breaking school records, making all state, making all america, being a team captain, being nationally ranked in club version of same sport and making a junior national team. Everyone around me had goals, just not the same ones, like making varsity or starting. Those are all real things. I started thinking about a college when everyone in my high school got a wake up call and college counselor meeting scheduled in spring junior year. This sport robs the kids and the kids are robbing themselves out of doing something that is a real accomplishment. Picking a college before all your friends do is not an accomplishment. I don't even consider getting a partial athletic scholarship in some sport an accomplishment worth trying to live on. Starting in 7th grade all these kids care about is a college verbal and that is all most adults who are supposed to be mentoring this kids care about too. Then after that is done, all the kids care about is trading up or who is changing their commitment and avoiding looking bad at all costs. I wish for something better.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are from LI and we have 8 D1 committed players on our varsity team and none of them, including my son, plays for a travel team. They don't want injury.

Really? I'm sure that their future college coaches are happy about that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree on that. I am struggling to get some teaching moment thing through to my sons. One is a 2017 commit and one is about to go into the summer after 8th grade summer club season. When I did college sport in another sport a long tim ago my goals in high school were breaking school records, making all state, making all america, being a team captain, being nationally ranked in club version of same sport and making a junior national team. Everyone around me had goals, just not the same ones, like making varsity or starting. Those are all real things. I started thinking about a college when everyone in my high school got a wake up call and college counselor meeting scheduled in spring junior year. This sport robs the kids and the kids are robbing themselves out of doing something that is a real accomplishment. Picking a college before all your friends do is not an accomplishment. I don't even consider getting a partial athletic scholarship in some sport an accomplishment worth trying to live on. Starting in 7th grade all these kids care about is a college verbal and that is all most adults who are supposed to be mentoring this kids care about too. Then after that is done, all the kids care about is trading up or who is changing their commitment and avoiding looking bad at all costs. I wish for something better.

I agree. However, until the NCAA and the D1 coaches put an end to this madness, it will continue to get worse. I suspect we will begin to see rising 8th grade commits in the not too distant future...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree. However, until the NCAA and the D1 coaches put an end to this madness, it will continue to get worse. I suspect we will begin to see rising 8th grade commits in the not too distant future...

Spoke with a big D1 coach the other day. He told me we will see a big rise in schools decommitting kids who have failed to develop after committing early.He says it will happen just before NLI is signed. My son has has never stopped, challenging himself all summer, every summer. Now other coaches are coming around making offers even though they have someone committed in his position. They say it's a business and they want the best kids they can get. Looks like the verbal is not going to mean much if you don't keep playing and challenging yourself. Hiding might just get your offer pulled.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I think this is going to be par for the course. This early commit stuff for age appropriate players who have yet to go through puberty is a big risk. If the kid is a repeat and he is signed early he might have already hit puberty and developed. I know that an athlete is an athlete but if you take two great athletes with the same skills but one is 6'3 200lbs vs a 5'8 155 I put my money on the bigger of the two. So now a kid was over looked but all of the sudden he starts to grow like a bean and put on size it does make a difference.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think this is going to be par for the course. This early commit stuff for age appropriate players who have yet to go through puberty is a big risk. If the kid is a repeat and he is signed early he might have already hit puberty and developed. I know that an athlete is an athlete but if you take two great athletes with the same skills but one is 6'3 200lbs vs a 5'8 155 I put my money on the bigger of the two. So now a kid was over looked but all of the sudden he starts to grow like a bean and put on size it does make a difference.

I have observed just the opposite. Some of the kids who seemed to be better players because they were shaving 6' and 180 in 9th grade relied on size and muscle mass to appear to dominate they boys they were playing against. The players who had to develop speed, finesse and stick skills to compete with them are often now better players. Some of the early bloomers are still the real deal, but some have been overtaken by peers. Often the early bloomers end up smaller at the end of senior year than the late bloomers because longer puberty results in more height. Gradual growth helps them develop stick skills 9-13 and speed during the years it is most beneficial 13-16, strength comes later. If strength comes too early it can impede speed to skills. http://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/photo/2836/4469/TrainabilityChart.png

Some early recruiting coaches had a tough time distinguishing the early bloomers, who appeared to dominate from the late bloomers who could dominate later, but couldn't physically compete against grown men at age 13. Of course there are exceptions, some kids are just studs.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I have observed just the opposite. Some of the kids who seemed to be better players because they were shaving 6' and 180 in 9th grade relied on size and muscle mass to appear to dominate they boys they were playing against. The players who had to develop speed, finesse and stick skills to compete with them are often now better players. Some of the early bloomers are still the real deal, but some have been overtaken by peers. Often the early bloomers end up smaller at the end of senior year than the late bloomers because longer puberty results in more height. Gradual growth helps them develop stick skills 9-13 and speed during the years it is most beneficial 13-16, strength comes later. If strength comes too early it can impede speed to skills. http://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/photo/2836/4469/TrainabilityChart.png

Some early recruiting coaches had a tough time distinguishing the early bloomers, who appeared to dominate from the late bloomers who could dominate later, but couldn't physically compete against grown men at age 13. Of course there are exceptions, some kids are just studs.

Its about the early recruits who might have been bigger early then puberty hits. I said this because many of the early recruits are the kids who might have hit puberty early and then the kid who has not hits it and grows bigger and stronger than the early bloomer. I have seen it very often. Kids who at 13 and 14 who were 5 inches taller than my son are now looking up at him at 14 almost 15 at 6ft 1 and 180. I said same athletic ability and skill. So if those are the same the bigger player usually dominates. This game has evolved a lot. A different athlete is getting introduced to the sport as it moves South and West.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Spoke with a big D1 coach the other day. He told me we will see a big rise in schools decommitting kids who have failed to develop after committing early.He says it will happen just before NLI is signed. My son has has never stopped, challenging himself all summer, every summer. Now other coaches are coming around making offers even though they have someone committed in his position. They say it's a business and they want the best kids they can get. Looks like the verbal is not going to mean much if you don't keep playing and challenging yourself. Hiding might just get your offer pulled.

This comment was more about the committed kids who as soon as they get that verbal, disappear and think they shouldn't play anymore because they might get "hurt"(wuss)
Not so much about size and development because plenty of small kids Excell at this sport due to their craftiness and commitment. It's about those that don't want to play against the best competition because they are afraid to look bad. Keep hiding and you might not have to worry about that because someone working hard and showing up will take your place!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This comment was more about the committed kids who as soon as they get that verbal, disappear and think they shouldn't play anymore because they might get "hurt"(wuss)
Not so much about size and development because plenty of small kids Excell at this sport due to their craftiness and commitment. It's about those that don't want to play against the best competition because they are afraid to look bad. Keep hiding and you might not have to worry about that because someone working hard and showing up will take your place!

I agree about the players who stop playing for the fear of getting hurt thing is a bit soft. Not the kid probably the parent making that choice. There is a 2018 commit from LI who is 5'4 to 5'6 at most. He has been very dominant for years and was considered more physically mature than most kids at a young age. His skills are outstanding but as players continue to hone their skills and also pass him in size and strength he isn't as dominant.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree about the players who stop playing for the fear of getting hurt thing is a bit soft. Not the kid probably the parent making that choice. There is a 2018 commit from LI who is 5'4 to 5'6 at most. He has been very dominant for years and was considered more physically mature than most kids at a young age. His skills are outstanding but as players continue to hone their skills and also pass him in size and strength he isn't as dominant.

That could be true for that kid, but there are plenty of shorter kids that knock down the doors. I was at the Army/ ND game last week, both leading scorers were quite short. 5'5 army and 5'7 ND

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That could be true for that kid, but there are plenty of shorter kids that knock down the doors. I was at the Army/ ND game last week, both leading scorers were quite short. 5'5 army and 5'7 ND

Clearly players of a smaller stature have and will continue to excel at this sport. However, they are facing a rising tide of much bigger, faster, stronger athletes. Look at the best middies in the game right now, two that come to mind: Miles Jones and Sergio Perkovich. If you watched the end of the Syracuse game, they put two freshman middies in, one 6'5" the other 6'7"...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not a big fan of Jones. He didn't show up when they needed him!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The goalie was the one who didn't show up!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The goalie was the one who didn't show up!!

Your joking about the goalie. He was shelled. Most goals were high percentage shots. Its even discussed in the breakdown of the game. Duke didn't show up. Shot selection was bad. No back up and possession in general was horrible. They spent a good 3/4 of the game playing defense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can't argue with Jones production, most of any midfielder. Speaking of not showing up... How about the 5'7" attackman from ND. Towson nearly beat them. Anyone can have a bad day...
Facts still remain that the game is changing in favor of bigger, stronger, faster players. And older I might add.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh stop with the bigger player crap. The best attackmen in the country are the small guys. Just stop with that nonsense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you talk about midfielders and who is the best you have to look at both sides of the field. Yes it is important to score goals but even more important to stop the other team from scoring. Middies need the ability to play both offense and defense in todays game run and gun "quick whistles". Jones was outed when he was stuck on the field playing defense he looked completely lost and got smoked. He was frustrated because he was not on the field most of the first half because Ohio St had the ball on offense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh stop with the bigger player crap. The best attackmen in the country are the small guys. Just stop with that nonsense.

Yes napoleon we will stop. If you don't see the changes in the fame your living under a rock. Yes there are the smaller players that are quick and skilled but the game is moving towards the bigger player that is just as quick and skilled.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yep...look at IVYS. big green has a frosh 5'3" attack who has big future ...no pun intended

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't think its nonsense, seems to be the whats happening in all sports the athletes of today are bigger and faster, does not mean the shorter faster athlete has no place. Watching UNC game I think they had a couple 6foot 7 defenders playing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Top Suffolk points leader is 5'8" on a good day and plays with the other top scorer who is 6'3. Say what you want about size, but great lacrosse layers come in many different shapes and sizes

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Right away you had to go with the napolean thing. You are an [lacrosse] my friend. Division 1 lax is not going away from the 5"6" attack who can score and run circles around your big kid who is 6'3" and cant turn on a dime like they can. Small attackman will always have a place in this game.Joey Sankey Matt kavanagh Connor Cook Jimmy Bitter Dylan Donahue Case Matheis I could keep on going and going.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Right away you had to go with the napolean thing. You are an [lacrosse] my friend. Division 1 lax is not going away from the 5"6" attack who can score and run circles around your big kid who is 6'3" and cant turn on a dime like they can. Small attackman will always have a place in this game.Joey Sankey Matt kavanagh Connor Cook Jimmy Bitter Dylan Donahue Case Matheis I could keep on going and going.

Well said!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once the bigger players starting turning up was when they started changing the way the game is played. safety first. Not against safety but a good hit now and then can change a game. Don't see the big hits anymore without a 2 minute unrelease call. Back in the day they called it finishing the play. Especially a 6'3 220 lbs defense on a 5'5 attackmen. The smaller player will get the call everytime take one for the team. The smaller players are tough but it always looks vicious so the call is made

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Extremely rare you are getting a 6'3" 220lb lacrosse kid. He might be 6'3" 205. They are tall and lanky. That kid would have trouble with an elusive 5'8"170lb attackman. Seen it so many times. These smaller kids ducking underneath these guys and those big guys having trouble getting down low to cover them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Extremely rare you are getting a 6'3" 220lb lacrosse kid. He might be 6'3" 205. They are tall and lanky. That kid would have trouble with an elusive 5'8"170lb attackman. Seen it so many times. These smaller kids ducking underneath these guys and those big guys having trouble getting down low to cover them.

Absolutely. "Small" and strong a huge asset for an attackman. Plays directly into the weakness of a larger defenseman. The best of them can easily get a first step on a taller defender and can draw the high hit penalty.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Top Suffolk points leader is 5'8" on a good day and plays with the other top scorer who is 6'3. Say what you want about size, but great lacrosse layers come in many different shapes and sizes

Exactly. The best college coaches know this and recruit all shapes and sizes.

IQ, speed, quickness, toughness, skill, strength, attitude, etc... are all important .

Page 40 of 45 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard