BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 26 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 25 26
Re: Boys 2019 Fall 2014/Summer 2015 v3.0
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I heard the boys who are not on the list anymore were either already accepted to the final roster or have committed to the other showcase.

I don't understand how they can have kids who were already promised positions on the roster when the tryouts are still going

that would be horrible if that is the case.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are still names on the list who are committed to Jake Reed I see 3 of them myself. No final list was made yet.
I heard the boys who are not on the list anymore were either already accepted to the final roster or have committed to the other showcase.

I don't understand how they can have kids who were already promised positions on the roster when the tryouts are still going

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only thing I can say is that I spoke with 2 parents of 2019 kids and they were both told by the director that their sons already made the team after the first tryout. they were told they didn't have to go to the tryouts.

Not sure if they are full of it, but I guess we will know the truth once the final list comes out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Politics at its worst !!
The only thing I can say is that I spoke with 2 parents of 2019 kids and they were both told by the director that their sons already made the team after the first tryout. they were told they didn't have to go to the tryouts.

Not sure if they are full of it, but I guess we will know the truth once the final list comes out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Politics at its worst !!

Are the players you're speaking about 2 of the best kids out there. I am sure you can go back and look at the same comments the past 3 years. The past few years they have seemed to pick the best representation for the island.

They may miss a diamond in the rough. or may give the 45th kid the 40th spot but I am sure it isn't that far off.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they are both solid players, but not the best in their position by any means. I only know of 2 or 3 kids who would deserve to get an automatic invite and they aren't 2 of them

We will just have to wait and see how the tryouts go and who they select. I am sure once the list is announced you will start to hear more bitching and complaining

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
This type of stuff has been going on for a loooong time. Last year at the 2018 Pride of Long Island there were 77 kids and 3 teams at the tryout. These were the players that were selected from the 150 or more that tried out at the first Brine tryout. At the Pride of Long Island after an hour or so the players broken down to the final two teams. This was approximately 50 players. Which meant that about 27 kids were sent home before the final selections were made. It was determined that there was so much talent on those two final teams that Long Island would have 2 teams. (Team Long Island and Team New [lacrosse]). You would think that players who were on the final two teams would have been the obvious choice to make up the Team New [lacrosse]. Not the case. Players who were sent home before the final two teams miraculously made Team New [lacrosse]. Many people were left scratching their heads. Go figure that one out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game
This type of stuff has been going on for a loooong time. Last year at the 2018 Pride of Long Island there were 77 kids and 3 teams at the tryout. These were the players that were selected from the 150 or more that tried out at the first Brine tryout. At the Pride of Long Island after an hour or so the players broken down to the final two teams. This was approximately 50 players. Which meant that about 27 kids were sent home before the final selections were made. It was determined that there was so much talent on those two final teams that Long Island would have 2 teams. (Team Long Island and Team New [lacrosse]). You would think that players who were on the final two teams would have been the obvious choice to make up the Team New [lacrosse]. Not the case. Players who were sent home before the final two teams miraculously made Team New [lacrosse]. Many people were left scratching their heads. Go figure that one out.

Not sarcasm, sincere thanks for this nugget of information. Seems this year is close to the same numbers as last year.

Do you know how many of the players from last years team are impact players for their schools this year? Where there any who made an impact for their schools last year? Were the players selected of relative caliber of some of those that didn't make it? I would assume with limited roster spots there were some turned away just as good as some picked.

Does anyone know about how the process was for the 2017 year. In looking and hearing Mike Quick (MSGV) plenty of Sophomores are impact players on top teams.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Not sarcasm, sincere thanks for this nugget of information. Seems this year is close to the same numbers as last year.

Do you know how many of the players from last years team are impact players for their schools this year? Where there any who made an impact for their schools last year? Were the players selected of relative caliber of some of those that didn't make it? I would assume with limited roster spots there were some turned away just as good as some picked.

Does anyone know about how the process was for the 2017 year. In looking and hearing Mike Quick (MSGV) plenty of Sophomores are impact players on top teams.

I think you raise some interesting questions. The teams from Long Island were Team Long Island and Team New [lacrosse]. Team Long Island (A) being the better of the two. This team went on to win the event in the 2018 age group. The New [lacrosse] team (B) still being made up of predominantly all Long island players was competitive but not as good as the A team. The injustice here is that after the A team was made wouldn't you think that the B team should have been made up of the players that were left over from the final team selection of 50 players. All players at this level and who made it to Pride of Long Island were very good. A tryout is a tryout and kids should be selected on how they show not based on who you play for and connections.

Many of these players are good and depending on their school will dictate impact.

example 1: a player who is very good can be in a weaker lacrosse program and make varsity. They may have a major impact for their team. I know a few but will not mention their names.

example 2: same player in a strong high school program and he will not have an impact because he is playing JV due to upperclassmen strength.

example 3: many of these stud players who have gone the catholic or Private School route and based on tradition play Freshman Team, JV, then Varsity. There are exceptions to the rule in these schools but overall they follow a certain pattern of playing based on year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you raise some interesting questions. The teams from Long Island were Team Long Island and Team New [lacrosse]. Team Long Island (A) being the better of the two. This team went on to win the event in the 2018 age group. The New [lacrosse] team (B) still being made up of predominantly all Long island players was competitive but not as good as the A team. The injustice here is that after the A team was made wouldn't you think that the B team should have been made up of the players that were left over from the final team selection of 50 players. All players at this level and who made it to Pride of Long Island were very good. A tryout is a tryout and kids should be selected on how they show not based on who you play for and connections.

Many of these players are good and depending on their school will dictate impact.

example 1: a player who is very good can be in a weaker lacrosse program and make varsity. They may have a major impact for their team. I know a few but will not mention their names.

example 2: same player in a strong high school program and he will not have an impact because he is playing JV due to upperclassmen strength.

example 3: many of these stud players who have gone the catholic or Private School route and based on tradition play Freshman Team, JV, then Varsity. There are exceptions to the rule in these schools but overall they follow a certain pattern of playing based on year.

Thanks,

The schools that don't pull up have strong JV teams and the boys could be impact player there. As far as Catholics are they impact players on Freshman.

Not looking for names, a statement of all/most/some boys are or will be impact players were they landed would suffice.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Thanks,

The schools that don't pull up have strong JV teams and the boys could be impact player there. As far as Catholics are they impact players on Freshman.

Not looking for names, a statement of all/most/some boys are or will be impact players were they landed would suffice.

Most of all 2018 I know in Catholics are playing freshman ball. I am pretty sure about Chaminade and only 2 players were moved to JV from the freshman team at St. Anthony. Some of the smaller or less deep catholic schools like St. Dom and Holy Cross probably have freshman playing varsity due to class size and numbers of players playing lacrosse at said schools.

JV is a mixed bag of nuts at public. Personally feel even an impact player can get lost in a poorly coached JV program. Some kids can regress due to being coached by the football coach who has no idea about lacrosse and plays his football players over seasoned and skilled players. Please understand this is an example from which I am very familiar with. There are also programs with strong JV coaching that help feed Varsity and you can tell which programs those are based on year and year out performance. There are also down years for programs. It happens. Things are always changing as are programs. Some years just have better players than others and no matter how good the coaching is you cant get blood from a stone.

I hope this info helps.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In 2017 they took 2 teams as well.
LI north and LI south
Many kids already committed... Very strong year.

Think they'll go for LI teams again.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just got a list of the players with their Jersey numbers from Brine...Good luck tomorrow everyone !!

LI north and LI south

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just got a list of the players with their Jersey numbers from Brine...Good luck tomorrow everyone !!

LI north and LI south

Below the list today shows a link to over 800 players playing in the NCAA who went through Brine. That is a great little Did you Know. thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LI north and LI south

why are there 2 more additional names added to the list since the last posting?

now there's 82 players not 80.
started out at 67 then added names after second tryout.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
You will find that players will miraculously be at Pride who weren't even at the first tryout. Then after the Pride games players that weren't part of the final game(two teams made from the three) will make a team if they go with 2.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Always conflicts somewhere you can't expect everyone to show up every time what about injury , sickness or something else.
Exceptions are always make and it should be that way they are only human not machines.

You will find that players will miraculously be at Pride who weren't even at the first tryout. Then after the Pride games players that weren't part of the final game(two teams made from the three) will make a team if they go with 2.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Always conflicts somewhere you can't expect everyone to show up every time what about injury , sickness or something else.
Exceptions are always make and it should be that way they are only human not machines.

too bad if your injured or sick. Try out next year, or not at all. There are plenty of other money grabs out there. NOBODY who did not attend the original tryout should just show up now. REDICULOUS!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bottom line, If they are better than the boys there today then chances are they would have been better last time too.

not sure the issue. Good luck to all today.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Bottom line, If they are better than the boys there today then chances are they would have been better last time too.

So why have a tryout. Sorry you were out of town, hurt, sick, whatever it maybe. You didn't go to first tryout you should not be at second. Great lessons you are teaching the kids. Listen you don't have to go to first tryout but you will get to the second because I know someone. What if the so called better kid had a bad tryout on that day. Any given day anyone can shine especially in the competitive lacrosse field. Remember these are supposed to be the better kids trying out for this event.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So why have a tryout. Sorry you were out of town, hurt, sick, whatever it maybe. You didn't go to first tryout you should not be at second. Great lessons you are teaching the kids. Listen you don't have to go to first tryout but you will get to the second because I know someone. What if the so called better kid had a bad tryout on that day. Any given day anyone can shine especially in the competitive lacrosse field. Remember these are supposed to be the better kids trying out for this event.

First tryout was well publicized and held in December. 60+ kids were invited back from a pool of about 140-160.

Second tryout(who knows why they had it?) was in March and was not well publicized. About a dozen kids invited back from pool of 80-90.

Then, recently several last minute additions.

Is it the coaches calling an making recommendations or is it parents whining?

I wonder if kids that did not get the original call back in December got to go to another tryout.

Feels murky.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

First tryout was well publicized and held in December. 60+ kids were invited back from a pool of about 140-160.

Second tryout(who knows why they had it?) was in March and was not well publicized. About a dozen kids invited back from pool of 80-90.

I wonder if kids that did not get the original call back in December got to go to another tryout.

Feels murky.

Very Murky

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there any decent lacrosse summer camps people would recommend, local(meaning long island) or away ? Please list what you think would be top five for each. Thank you

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Feels murky.

Very Murky

If they are trying to field 2 teams like they have done for the past 2 years, you want to have a larger selection of players to choose from, whether they were in the initial tryout or not. Having a solid first team and a competitive second team makes it more enjoyable for the players.

This nonsense of favoritism has been going on for years, move on, make sure the best play at these events, i've seen where the best did not show up and it isn't pretty.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Feels murky.

Very Murky

If they are trying to field 2 teams like they have done for the past 2 years, you want to have a larger selection of players to choose from, whether they were in the initial tryout or not. Having a solid first team and a competitive second team makes it more enjoyable for the players.

This nonsense of favoritism has been going on for years, move on, make sure the best play at these events, i've seen where the best did not show up and it isn't pretty.

Is it too much to ask for fair play in youth lacrosse?
Oh, wait, I'm ok now. I just woke up- had a nice dream.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Feels murky.

Very Murky

I agree with let the best play. Some of the player talent differential is negligible. At least show up to tryout or even let the coaches make the choices from those they picked. Last year daddys made phone calls after Johnny was sent home after the Pride teams were reduced to the two teams and from those two teams the selection were made. A number of players who were eliminated miraculously made the 2nd team to go to Brine after it was determined the talent of the two teams playing was good enough to field two Long Island based teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Brine did a nice job last night. They made the kids feel good about being there.

The depth of the talent was remarkable. These kids really can play. The speed and pace of the game at this level was very impressive. Every one of them deserved to be there.

In all, he was glad to be there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Brine did a nice job last night. They made the kids feel good about being there.

The depth of the talent was remarkable. These kids really can play. The speed and pace of the game at this level was very impressive. Every one of them deserved to be there.

In all, he was glad to be there.

Agreed, did they say when they will announce the team? Who are the main evaluators?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Was the pro player tourney a worthwhile event?

Did anyone see the 2019 town teams and travel programs?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also, has anyone played Viper?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2019 Viper was a combined 7/8th grade team last year. They had 6 8th graders so the whole team played up in 2018. This year they are playing in their own grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Pro Player was not the best competition for 2019. Most teams were B level.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2019 Viper was a combined 7/8th grade team last year. They had 6 8th graders so the whole team played up in 2018. This year they are playing in their own grade.

Sorry, meant to ask did any one play in the Viper Tourney last year?

Which would be better Viper or Blatant? Both are on same day 5/16.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry, meant to ask did any one play in the Viper Tourney last year?

Which would be better Viper or Blatant? Both are on same day 5/16.

Maybe reach out to the directors of both tournaments and they can tell you who is playing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
we did viper last year and Blatant in the past. we liked viper, it wasn't too big and was run very well

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you were an evaluator at the Brine tryout Friday night you should be embarrassed or at least be able to explain yourself. How do you look at numbers and evaluate kids based on their play and some kids weren't even there. If the number isn't on the field how do you pick them?. There was a speech before the tryout where the kids are told your numbers and play will dictate if you are on the team. Please explain. If its a scam then please say it is and I will respect you more. I guess there were maybe 20 people picked and not 23 then. Is it fair to all the other kids or at least say that some kids are on the team already based on rep and they were so good at the first tryout that no one out there can compete with them. I would respect that more. No sour grapes but if my facts are wrong please correct me and i will apologize.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you were an evaluator at the Brine tryout Friday night you should be embarrassed or at least be able to explain yourself. How do you look at numbers and evaluate kids based on their play and some kids weren't even there. If the number isn't on the field how do you pick them?. There was a speech before the tryout where the kids are told your numbers and play will dictate if you are on the team. Please explain. If its a scam then please say it is and I will respect you more. I guess there were maybe 20 people picked and not 23 then. Is it fair to all the other kids or at least say that some kids are on the team already based on rep and they were so good at the first tryout that no one out there can compete with them. I would respect that more. No sour grapes but if my facts are wrong please correct me and i will apologize.

Seriously, you need therapy. How do you know kids were selected that weren't there. I know a few who made it and rightly deserved it and were the best on the field. I don't know all the boys selected is it posted. I usually wait for an email from my friend, if the player is a top player than relax if your son is better than you have an issue.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree 100 percent complete scam !!! Very sad.. It's not fair to the kids that they don't get a fair chance. All these parents that make careers out of [lacrosse] kissing to get your kid ahead I'm sure your proud... to bad your kid didn't earn it !!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes it's posted .so maybe he's right

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please. The poster is right. I know of at least one kid who wasn't there that is on the roster. And a few of the kids picked were definatly not the best there. It is not fair. True the best there were selected but there were several "favors" too.

Page 10 of 26 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard