Tryouts launched for Igloo Lacrosse, Legacy Lacrosse & Many More Club Teams - Check Our Forums > Tryouts to see when other teams have touts!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls 2025 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/06/22 09:18 PM
Boys High School
by Anonymous - 07/06/22 09:06 PM
Boys 2027-7th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/06/22 09:01 PM
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/06/22 08:56 PM
2021-2022 Women's DI-III College Lacrosse Season
by Anonymous - 07/06/22 08:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,160
Posts342,035
Members2,466
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 57 of 65 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 64 65
Re: Age Verification
Anonymous #112911 04/29/15 03:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The reason that there are grade based tournaments with no age restrictions is that there are a lot of clubs that want to play under those rules (or lack thereof).

No one forces a club to play older teams. You either pick a tournament and a bracket where there won't be over age kids or you don't. Avoiding the AA bracket of highly competitive tournaments pretty much eliminates the problem.

The only reason there is an issue is that parents and club directors want the bragging rights of saying they won in the highest brackets and in the best tournaments. If you focus on making sure your child is playing at the level where he has the most fun and skill development than there isn't a problem.

If you want to say he played at the highest level in the best tournaments than be prepared to play with the big (and maybe older) boys.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #112914 04/29/15 04:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The reason that there are grade based tournaments with no age restrictions is that there are a lot of clubs that want to play under those rules (or lack thereof).

No one forces a club to play older teams. You either pick a tournament and a bracket where there won't be over age kids or you don't. Avoiding the AA bracket of highly competitive tournaments pretty much eliminates the problem.

The only reason there is an issue is that parents and club directors want the bragging rights of saying they won in the highest brackets and in the best tournaments. If you focus on making sure your child is playing at the level where he has the most fun and skill development than there isn't a problem.

If you want to say he played at the highest level in the best tournaments than be prepared to play with the big (and maybe older) boys.

Wow that is the dumbest justification ever:

1) Club directors don't have teams that can win at higher levels without cheating

2) Therefore, either accept that there will be cheaters or play down

Seriously? Sorry you have to cheat to win. What you are teaching youth lacrosse players is that the way to get ahead is by cheating.

How about US lacrosse does what other youth sports organizations have done and make rules, and have everyone follow the rules with consequences for those who don't? Anyone who doesn't want this to be the case, wants to cheat. Period.

US Lacrosse proved their certification of equipment is meaningless, maybe they should either become useful to youth lacrosse or some other entity should take over.

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #112937 04/29/15 06:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
U.S. Lacrosse just tweeted: One for the Ages: Youth #Lacrosse Age Verification and Event Sanctioning [Blog] uslax.in/1DKgQo2
It's coming!!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #112947 04/29/15 07:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Each tournament is its own business an entitled to set and enforce rules as it sees fit. There is no obligation to follow the US lacrosse guidelines. If you don't like the way a given tournament sets up its divisions quit whining and go to a different tournament.

There is a market for grade based tournaments with no age limits Why do you care of others want to go to them?

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #112955 04/29/15 08:29 PM
A
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
A
I think when a team signs up for a tournament they sign up to play against players that are the same age as them. When coaches and programs cheat because no one is checking the age of the players playing its an issue. Example my son born in 1999 plays on a 2017 team and plays in the AA bracket of his tournament and a team comes in that is registered as a 2017 but has 2015 graduates playing and parents from that team actually confirm it. That's cheating.

Last edited by America's Game; 04/29/15 08:30 PM.
Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
GoodSport #112956 04/29/15 08:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Says the parent of a holdback. Amazing how you all say the same thing "quit whinning!" Let's see who's whinning when little Johnny has to grow a pair and actually play against kids his own age!! He won't look so big and tough then.

Like Reply Quote
America's Game #112957 04/29/15 08:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game
I think when a team signs up for a tournament they sign up to play against players that are the same age as them. When coaches and programs cheat because no one is checking the age of the players playing its an issue. Example my son born in 1999 plays on a 2017 team and plays in the AA bracket of his tournament and a team comes in that is registered as a 2017 but has 2015 graduates playing and parents from that team actually confirm it. That's cheating.

Well said!!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #112965 04/29/15 10:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is not a holdback. He is a 2020 who meets the us lacrosse guidelines for u13. I am comfortable with him playing against older 2020 kids who may be older so I am fine with him playing in the aa division. If I wasn't I would have signed him up for another team that played at a lower level. When your son tries out for a club they tell you what types of tournaments you are going to and the types of opponents they will play. If you don't like the answer pick a different club instead of whining.

The idea that you can't figure out in advance what types of opponents you are going to face is silly.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #112972 04/29/15 10:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is not a holdback. He is a 2020 who meets the us lacrosse guidelines for u13. I am comfortable with him playing against older 2020 kids who may be older so I am fine with him playing in the aa division. If I wasn't I would have signed him up for another team that played at a lower level. When your son tries out for a club they tell you what types of tournaments you are going to and the types of opponents they will play. If you don't like the answer pick a different club instead of whining.

The idea that you can't figure out in advance what types of opponents you are going to face is silly.

Good luck on u13 with the 15 year olds this summer.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #112978 04/30/15 06:43 AM
A
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
A

When the tournament you registered in doesn't have enough teams to make your AA Bracket, what happens then?? I bet the team that entered into the B Bracket has no say when all of a sudden they are playing againt those bigger/cheating AA teams.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
acblax #112984 04/30/15 07:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
News flash-
1.US Lacrosse has no teeth and only wants to make sure every kid in America is registered with them.
2. Clubs are FOR PROFIT and winning brings in players so they cheat.
3. Tournaments are FOR PROFIT so they will take any team that registers even if a BC is written in pencil from a foreign country.
4. Travel parents are NUTS and play in to the roster cheating and win at costs especially when they hold their child back.

There are now 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders that will pay in $25,000-$50,000+ into their travel lacrosse experience. The money exchanging hands is too big for any meaningful change to ever happen.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #112988 04/30/15 08:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great post. You just summed up what lacrosse has turned into and it's ugly.
The programs that
Keeps cost down
Practice at a reasonable rate- not 2x every week of the year
Plays to win- but not at all costs
Plays the entire roster in tournaments.
Values respect for the game- and it's opponents
Teaches the game - not just send the 2 top kids go to the goal
Meet the age requirement - don't CHEAT
Has classy parents that understand the big picture
Does not recruit kids off other teams at tournaments

These team Are blasted by BOTC parents for not being an A program
Who cares about being the best 2020 or name grad year. Only a small minded
Adult would get any sense of pride or accomplishment from something they really had no impact on except cutting a check.
The only thing a parent should check is if their kid has a smile before and after travel event.

Like Reply Quote
acblax #113022 04/30/15 10:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by acblax

When the tournament you registered in doesn't have enough teams to make your AA Bracket, what happens then?? I bet the team that entered into the B Bracket has no say when all of a sudden they are playing againt those bigger/cheating AA teams.

I think some tournaments are clearly grade based and you know you will face holdbacks. I have no problem with that. As kids get older, even if they are good, I may need to play in an age based tournament where they actually enforce rules just so they can play kids their own age - and that may hurt recruiting prospects - but I can do that.

But I have been to 4-5 tournaments in the last 18 months that were stated to be either grade based or age based and the rules simply were enforced. Champions in a U division with 6 kids older than the stated 9/1 deadline. 7th graders playing 4th graders. 4th graders playing 6th graders. A grade-based tournament where all the divisions (except mine) were won by teams with a majority of kids in older grades.

Right now, clubs can and should vote with their feet and avoid such tournaments, but some of the ones above were very convenient and run by good people - they just weren't disciplined about enforcing age rules when supposedly weaker teams wanted to "play down", i.e., teams wanting to win more in a lower division.

I hope U.S. Lacrosse comes in with a carrot and a stick approach to reform many tournaments. Big grade based recruiting tournaments would then just continue as is and just need to actually enforce grade rules (See Rising Sons 2021 team and Edge teams).

P.S. - I do think the 9/1 cutoff needs to be moved to 8/1, however. Lots of August boys going to school with kids born later, versus earlier.

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #113031 04/30/15 11:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The other news flash is...lacrosse isn't really growing anymore. The overall participation #s are up 3.5% this past year is weighted nearly all toward new high school seasonal players. That makes sense with the proliferation of public high schools in many regions adding lacrosse as a spring sport to be played on the HS football / soccer fields. By any measure the youth game has stopped growing and for valid reasons. Lacrosse is becoming I can pay so I can play sport, and the costs are high. It is a fun game, but so isn't hockey which is another very expensive sport. Right now baseball and soccer are growing at a much higher rate than lacrosse is, and those are mature sports with many millions more in the participation tables.

Sounds to me more like parents and kids are getting fed up beyond posting on forums and are voting with their feet. The club and events guys just ruined this sport. I hope in some way the sport can be taken back from the commercial guys. The beauty of this game is it could be played on any sandlot or field. Why don't kids go to the local school fields and play pick up lacrosse? You know, like kids who play basketball do...

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #113037 04/30/15 11:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The other news flash is...lacrosse isn't really growing anymore. The overall participation #s are up 3.5% this past year is weighted nearly all toward new high school seasonal players. That makes sense with the proliferation of public high schools in many regions adding lacrosse as a spring sport to be played on the HS football / soccer fields. By any measure the youth game has stopped growing and for valid reasons. Lacrosse is becoming I can pay so I can play sport, and the costs are high. It is a fun game, but so isn't hockey which is another very expensive sport. Right now baseball and soccer are growing at a much higher rate than lacrosse is, and those are mature sports with many millions more in the participation tables.

Sounds to me more like parents and kids are getting fed up beyond posting on forums and are voting with their feet. The club and events guys just ruined this sport. I hope in some way the sport can be taken back from the commercial guys. The beauty of this game is it could be played on any sandlot or field. Why don't kids go to the local school fields and play pick up lacrosse? You know, like kids who play basketball do...

I don't know about your town but in my town on any given day there are 10-20 kids of all ages at our turf field playing lacrosse all day. They will be behind the goals playing while soccer games are being played .Boys and girls combined its a great thing to see.

Like Reply Quote
Page 57 of 65 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 64 65
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard