BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,579
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 38 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 37 38
Re: 2015 Spring Boys Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
here comes G.C. !!! back to back dominant performances.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hardest part is getting into an Ivy, staying in is relatively easy (for an above average student) depending on your major. Trust me, been there done that.

Agree.
Calc 1 is Calc 1 whether it's at Cornell or Nassau Community College.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with that 100% that very strong town teams will rarely beat a top club but my point is not so much about winning but player development. Some of these elite teams have lots of great players but "win" with only a couple of even better players - so I agree w/ you that to be the best, you need to play the best but all too often clubs stockpile talent and only a few actually play against the best and contribute while the rest get to watch a great game... just my observation - if your HS has weak teams or plan on going to private/Catholic school then I believe you should go big club

How about getting outside your comfort zone? How about making new friends? How about playing with different kids? How about playing for a different coach? How about playing a different role than the one you play on your town/school team? How about changing things up and having fun? How about making new connections? How about playing with better players? How about competing at the highest level that you are capable of competing at?

How about .....none of this really matters because Lax ends after college!?!?

How about that was the point. Sports are about helping a child develop and prepare for life.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Virtually Forbidding???? Kids leave GC program all the time for club and end up playing for GCHS. I would think GC is no different then any club (91/Express) in that they want to keep their best players. My take is that GC is good enough to field a solid club team and give kids significant rolls where it is less mercenary and a win at all cost attitude. That said, playing for clubs teams does help some kids get exposure to playing with top notch players but in club a lot of really solid players end up sitting on the bench and or getting their playing time in non meaningful games - less so in GC IMO

All true. However you're leaving out one key element. The level of competition. Come grades 7,8,9 there is no way GC is fielding a team that can play against top level clubs here or elsewhere. No way you're competing against Crabs, Dukes, FCA, Laxachusettes, WCS, 3D, etc... That's where your theory loses steam. In order to be the best, you must play with and compete against the best. Not happening with your GC travel team. Not putting down your team or town. However, it is the very reason why the best kids from your town and other top Lax towns will play on the top travel teams.

Does it really matter? All this wheel spinning, cash burning, chasing the carrot .......for what?
12.9 equivalent scholarships spread across a roster of 45?
That's the reality of it!

You're uninformed. My son plays at a great D3 school. Got 30+ percent for academic and merit money. The Coach pushed his application through, had his acceptance in 1 DAY!!! Lax made the college acceptance process a breeze, and they found him plenty of money. Will save us nearly $75k. Oh yeah, money was locked in whether or not he ever stepped foot on the field. Not a bad deal, and the school is easily a better academic choice than many of the D1 schools. It's not all about D1... It's about education and leveraging your sport.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with that 100% that very strong town teams will rarely beat a top club but my point is not so much about winning but player development. Some of these elite teams have lots of great players but "win" with only a couple of even better players - so I agree w/ you that to be the best, you need to play the best but all too often clubs stockpile talent and only a few actually play against the best and contribute while the rest get to watch a great game... just my observation - if your HS has weak teams or plan on going to private/Catholic school then I believe you should go big club

How about getting outside your comfort zone? How about making new friends? How about playing with different kids? How about playing for a different coach? How about playing a different role than the one you play on your town/school team? How about changing things up and having fun? How about making new connections? How about playing with better players? How about competing at the highest level that you are capable of competing at?

How about .....none of this really matters because Lax ends after college!?!?

totally agree, this is why kids should only play tennis and golf because that is for the most part the only sports they will play once they graduate college and start working in the real world (for those that are a little to literal, that was sarcastic) the points that the two posts were mentioning were all about things that matter and things that they will take with them long after their playing careers are over

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Virtually Forbidding???? Kids leave GC program all the time for club and end up playing for GCHS. I would think GC is no different then any club (91/Express) in that they want to keep their best players. My take is that GC is good enough to field a solid club team and give kids significant rolls where it is less mercenary and a win at all cost attitude. That said, playing for clubs teams does help some kids get exposure to playing with top notch players but in club a lot of really solid players end up sitting on the bench and or getting their playing time in non meaningful games - less so in GC IMO

All true. However you're leaving out one key element. The level of competition. Come grades 7,8,9 there is no way GC is fielding a team that can play against top level clubs here or elsewhere. No way you're competing against Crabs, Dukes, FCA, Laxachusettes, WCS, 3D, etc... That's where your theory loses steam. In order to be the best, you must play with and compete against the best. Not happening with your GC travel team. Not putting down your team or town. However, it is the very reason why the best kids from your town and other top Lax towns will play on the top travel teams.

Does it really matter? All this wheel spinning, cash burning, chasing the carrot .......for what?
12.9 equivalent scholarships spread across a roster of 45?
That's the reality of it!

You're uninformed. My son plays at a great D3 school. Got 30+ percent for academic and merit money. The Coach pushed his application through, had his acceptance in 1 DAY!!! Lax made the college acceptance process a breeze, and they found him plenty of money. Will save us nearly $75k. Oh yeah, money was locked in whether or not he ever stepped foot on the field. Not a bad deal, and the school is easily a better academic choice than many of the D1 schools. It's not all about D1... It's about education and leveraging your sport.

Based on your understanding of the process, I commend you on your strategy and approach.
However, you were not the audience I was targeting with my post.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're uninformed. My son plays at a great D3 school. Got 30+ percent for academic and merit money. The Coach pushed his application through, had his acceptance in 1 DAY!!! Lax made the college acceptance process a breeze, and they found him plenty of money. Will save us nearly $75k. Oh yeah, money was locked in whether or not he ever stepped foot on the field. Not a bad deal, and the school is easily a better academic choice than many of the D1 schools. It's not all about D1... It's about education and leveraging your sport. [/quote]

I agree 100%. I played D3 football it you are not playing for OSU, Oregon, Alabama, etc there is not that much of a difference in the experience. It is still high quality college athletics played at smaller venues.

It is even less a difference in College lacrosse. You can't tell me a kid playing at St. John's, Hofstra, Towson or even Stony Brook has a much better experience than a kid going to Salisbury, Cortland, Stevenson, Post, Aldephi, etc. Unless you are going to Duke, NC, Hopkins, Syracuse, Va, IVY etc. What is the difference? The elite kids go to elite schools. The rest?? Go for the education and college experience.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any ivy junior prospect day will tell u straight 2100 as a recruit is what they want. ACT of 27 is = 1800-1850. So I guess the kids at the junuir recruit day were lied to?
I suppose if your Rabil with a 27, ivy may swing down to 300 points.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any ivy junior prospect day will tell u straight 2100 as a recruit is what they want. ACT of 27 is = 1800-1850. So I guess the kids at the junuir recruit day were lied to?

yes - that is what they tell you they "want" - they have slots that they have to fill and they do need 31+ ACT kids to offset the 27 ACT kids but I know that there are plenty of kids playing lacrosse and other sports at Ivy League schools with under 29 ACT's

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yes - that is what they tell you they "want" - they have slots that they have to fill and they do need 31+ ACT kids to offset the 27 ACT kids but I know that there are plenty of kids playing lacrosse and other sports at Ivy League schools with under 29 ACT's

When a player is “Recruited” they are in a separate category.
If you or your Club/HS coach are making outbound calls to college coaches or you are going to prospect days , showcase events or camps trying to get seen you are probably not in that category. (yet, you might someday be).
When the College Coach contacts the players Club/HS Coach and says they are very interested after watching the player compete that is a different story.
When The Head Coach makes contact and invites the player and parents to visit and makes an offer the (at an Ivy the offer is a roster spot and help with admissions) required curriculum, grades and test score will all be explained. They will all be different from what is told to the general population.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And then the real special kids go to one of the military academies. Less then 10percent acceptance rate. But you have to give them 5 years and a lot of kids don't want to do that.
I agree 100%. I played D3 football it you are not playing for OSU, Oregon, Alabama, etc there is not that much of a difference in the experience. It is still high quality college athletics played at smaller venues.

It is even less a difference in College lacrosse. You can't tell me a kid playing at St. John's, Hofstra, Towson or even Stony Brook has a much better experience than a kid going to Salisbury, Cortland, Stevenson, Post, Aldephi, etc. Unless you are going to Duke, NC, Hopkins, Syracuse, Va, IVY etc. What is the difference? The elite kids go to elite schools. The rest?? Go for the education and college experience. [/quote]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
unless you went to Chaminade!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse is a tool that the fortunate few are able to use to get something or somewhere they would not have gotten without it. Nothing more. Just need to remember to have some fun occasionally.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse is a tool that the fortunate few are able to use to get something or somewhere they would not have gotten without it. Nothing more. need to remember to have some fun occasionally.

Some parents would benefit by repeating the above post in their heads on a daily basis.
It's also important as a 1st time parent of a college bound student athlete to keep their expectations realistic. There are a lot of hucksters out there making some big money by marketing some path to the scholarship promise land to these starry-eyed 1st timers. Choose wisely.
The rest of us who are veterans of this process know differently.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
During the process of weeding out your schools. Ask your child if on the first day of practice you had a career ending injury would you still want to go to (fill in blank name of school) and not play lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
perfect example. School over lax. very few will feed a family playing lax.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Refs screwed VM again.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Refs screwed VM again.

WM, I assume. Refs have been horrible in general this year. Very inconsistent and not enforcing rules amicably.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Northport beats WM.. Great finish & Sat beat smithtown E ...Go Tigers!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse is a tool that the fortunate few are able to use to get something or somewhere they would not have gotten without it. Nothing more. Just need to remember to have some fun occasionally.

Absolutely spot on. Great way to sum it up. Went thru the recruiting process with my son with realistic expectations. Leave your ego and dreams of full rides at the curb. If you could help your mediocre student child get into a top school, using lacrosse, while getting some money off tuition you have done well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Northport beats WM.. Great finish & Sat beat smithtown E ...Go Tigers!!

stay fired up don't let WW be a trap game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Refs screwed VM again.

WM, I assume. Refs have been horrible in general this year. Very inconsistent and not enforcing rules amicably.

More so with VM.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it officially a written rule now that if ANY kind of contact makes a player fall down a flag must be thrown? What has always been a 100% clean hit is called every time for a penalty today. I can't find anything about the rules being changed online. Anyone know?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it officially a written rule now that if ANY kind of contact makes a player fall down a flag must be thrown? What has always been a 100% clean hit is called every time for a penalty today. I can't find anything about the rules being changed online. Anyone know?

yes there are some calls that are changed. defensless and if they travel and go out of the way for the hit. Flag! Also about me some slashes get called. they game has changed since the 80's good bad or indifferent. Not sure the game you are taking about but I have seen some missed calls too. It happens, it has always happened.

Which game: from 1 goal games.
np wm
Lindy mc
Beth lawr
Ss ns

But send us a link of the game let the boc fans be judge and jury. That's is what you are asking. To answer you're question yes a few changes were rule implemented but not every hit No, some yes. Send us a link and let us see for ourselves. But be careful The jury of popular opinion may lead to "good hit" if even illegal.

What you dream as 100% clean I would love to see to,judge. What game and send us a link so,we can be the judge and jury, after all isn't that what you want isn't that why you are posting it here.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Refs screwed VM again.

Help me understand "amicably". Are they nasty about it

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Refs screwed VM again.

Please stop blaming the officials.

Did the officials screw WM in the Connetquot game? How about last year? Did WM get screwed by officials all year in 2014? Is that why WM had their worst season in school history? What about 2013? Were the officials against WM when they went undefeated and won the NY State Championship?

Please do not disrespect a great program by whining about the refs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game
During the process of weeding out your schools. Ask your child if on the first day of practice you had a career ending injury would you still want to go to (fill in blank name of school) and not play lacrosse.

I understand the question but a lot of kids transfer schools that never picked up a lacrosse stick - I think lacrosse is a big part of the equation for many kids but if lacrosse is taken away they can always transfer as many many non lacrosse players do

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Refs screwed VM again.

Did the officials screw WM in the Connetquot game? How about last year? Did WM get screwed by officials all year in 2014? Is that why WM had their worst season in school history? What about 2013? Were the officials against WM when they went undefeated and won the NY State Championship?

I was not at the game but spoke to a WM parent and he had a lot of reasons for the loss but in a 5 min conversation never once mentioned the refs, more about not being able to hold the lead and not capitalizing on enough opportunities - i will ask him what he thought about the reffing next time i speak to him

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yes there are some calls that are changed. defensless and if they travel and go out of the way for the hit. Flag! Also about me some slashes get called. they game has changed since the 80's good bad or indifferent. Not sure the game you are taking about but I have seen some missed calls too. It happens, it has always happened.

Which game: from 1 goal games.
np wm
Lindy mc
Beth lawr
Ss ns

But send us a link of the game let the boc fans be judge and jury. That's is what you are asking. To answer you're question yes a few changes were rule implemented but not every hit No, some yes. Send us a link and let us see for ourselves. But be careful The jury of popular opinion may lead to "good hit" if even illegal.

What you dream as 100% clean I would love to see to,judge. What game and send us a link so,we can be the judge and jury, after all isn't that what you want isn't that why you are posting it here.

I wasn't talking about a specific game. Just in general every HS game I watch if there is any contact and a kid falls down a flag is thrown. I'm not comparing today's game to the 80's or 90's when it was still a contact sport. I'm comparing today's game to 5 years ago when some hitting and contact was still allowed.

I was just wondering if the rules were actually changed or not. Since I can't find any evidence that they were changed I am guessing that officials take it among themselves to not call the rules as written but instead to call them the way the mommies want them called.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one from WM complaining about the refs, calls go both ways. They were beat by quot and NP in two very great games. it is as simple as that. WM will be fine and compete in the playoffs at a very high level.

They are not a national championship caliber team but they are very strong. Losing a few games is not a bad thing and it is certainly not like they were blown out. Both games down to the wire and WM just couldn't close...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one from WM complaining about the refs, calls go both ways. They were beat by quot and NP in two very great games. it is as simple as that. WM will be fine and compete in the playoffs at a very high level.

They are not a national championship caliber team but they are very strong. Losing a few games is not a bad thing and it is certainly not like they were blown out. Both games down to the wire and WM just couldn't close...

The post said - "Refs screwed WM again"

If not someone from WM where are they from?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The post said - "Refs screwed WM again"

If not someone from WM where are they from?

Actually, the post said VM--a few posts later, the person again said VM. No idea what they are referring too, but assure you that WM parents (at least this parent) not complaining about ref calls. Every game has good and bad calls, these are HS refs picking up some extra income...bad calls every week at college level also, just have to take the good ones with the bad and move on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that isnt true. Ivy's use the academic index for student athletes and a 27 ACT and a 95 average show an index of 191, well above the minimum 171 needed for Ivy acceptance.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game

Great question to ask. Just remember that the kids are caught up in the euphoria when you ask them that question. you won't know the answer until after the injury or the realization that playing time will only occur in blowouts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Refs screwed VM again.

Wouldn't say refs but there has been a change in coaching since national championship team. Just a thought....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Refs screwed VM again.

Wouldn't say refs but there has been a change in coaching since national championship team. Just a thought....

stop crying like a baby. you lost. if you were the clear cut better team, the refs wouldn't be able to influence the outcome. Take the loss like a winner looking to build on it not a loser pointing fingers that it must be somebody elses fault.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Northport is really looking good after the last two wins over very talented teams. I was surprised at their depth. They obviously have a huge advantage at the x against most teams such as the WM game. But SE couldn't even handle them even after being dominant at x. They are going to be tough to get past. Looking forward to the Connetquot match up next week.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Refs screwed VM again.

stop crying like a baby. you lost. if you were the clear cut better team, the refs wouldn't be able to influence the outcome. Take the loss like a winner looking to build on it not a loser pointing fingers that it must be somebody elses fault.

You have it all wrong, no one here is crying...did you read the rest of the page?

This last guy didn't even blame refs, he blamed the coach...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Northport is really looking good after the last two wins over very talented teams. I was surprised at their depth. They obviously have a huge advantage at the x against most teams such as the WM game. But SE couldn't even handle them even after being dominant at x. They are going to be tough to get past. Looking forward to the Connetquot match up next week.

Yes, that fogo won the game yesterday...good player for sure. Was surprised WM didn't put in a long pole or another kid at that stage of the game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whose excited for Pequa vs Syosset tomorrow. Hoping for Syosset!

Page 22 of 38 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 37 38

Link Copied to Clipboard