BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 38 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 37 38
Re: 2015 Spring Boys Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Nassau B is a mess. The usual top teams floundering. Some rebuilding others praying.

It's not a mess. The traditional powerhouse programs are in the twilight of their dominance as youth lacrosse has spread like wildfire across the landscape. PAL programs founded in last 7-10 years are now starting to produce fruit which has leveled the playing field and upset the concentration of power and dominance of those programs.
Well said, Connetquot is a prime example of a product of a stronger youth league, leading them to the top of the standings. The traditional towns definitely have more competition.

Club teams have also played a major role in helping kids from non traditional powe programs.

I would agree and Say Club over town help connetquot.
I agree, but more kids get a taste of lax at the town level first, then decide to try out for club.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks to GC virtually forbidding kids from playing for club teams outside the select town team , the program is suffering a downtrade, maybe temporary, but we shall see. In the past kids played PAL on one of 4 equally talented teams. In addition, some kids played on summer tryout club teams. This approach provided a pretty good feeder system for the h.s. team, the results are in black and white. Now part of the deal seems to be an implicit deal that you must play for asst. coaches in summer or have no chance to play as a h.s. kid. freshmen get promoted to varsity etc.

Self Dealing and conflicts of interest like this are what is ruining lacrosse. The best kids should play regardless of where they play or who they play for. HS sports should be about one thing and one thing only - the kids.

This is a real problem for GC, losing more kids than ever before to other high school options. Also creates a less cohesive environment as kids and families are pitched against one another as well as the program.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nassau B is a mess. The usual top teams floundering. Some rebuilding others praying.

It's not a mess. The traditional powerhouse programs are in the twilight of their dominance as youth lacrosse has spread like wildfire across the landscape. PAL programs founded in last 7-10 years are now starting to produce fruit which has leveled the playing field and upset the concentration of power and dominance of those programs.
Well said, Connetquot is a prime example of a product of a stronger youth league, leading them to the top of the standings. The traditional towns definitely have more competition.

Club teams have also played a major role in helping kids from non traditional powe programs.

Club Teams have helped all programs.

Without question, club exposure at a younger age has made some great players. These kids had access to a much higher level of coaching and the level of competition at a young age was much more intense. If you look at most (but not all) of the younger kids up on Varsity, they are highly skilled and talented from their club experiences. They may only be getting scrap time in some cases as freshmen, but you can tell they will be major players as sophs, Jrs and Srs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks to GC virtually forbidding kids from playing for club teams outside the select town team , the program is suffering a downtrade, maybe temporary, but we shall see. In the past kids played PAL on one of 4 equally talented teams. In addition, some kids played on summer tryout club teams. This approach provided a pretty good feeder system for the h.s. team, the results are in black and white. Now part of the deal seems to be an implicit deal that you must play for asst. coaches in summer or have no chance to play as a h.s. kid. freshmen get promoted to varsity etc.

Self Dealing and conflicts of interest like this are what is ruining lacrosse. The best kids should play regardless of where they play or who they play for. HS sports should be about one thing and one thing only - the kids.

This is a real problem for GC, losing more kids than ever before to other high school options. Also creates a less cohesive environment as kids and families are pitched against one another as well as the program.

No I don't live there. However, in most cases your are dealing with parents of very substantial means. If they feel the deck is being stacked against their children, they will reshuffle it. I'm sure the privates here on LI as well as the Boarding schools to the North will be happy to accommodate good students. Students who are also great Lacrosse players, that happen to come from families with deep pockets. Bye, bye, public school coach...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No I don't live there. However, in most cases your are dealing with parents of very substantial means. If they feel the deck is being stacked against their children, they will reshuffle it. I'm sure the privates here on LI as well as the Boarding schools to the North will be happy to accommodate good students. Students who are also great Lacrosse players, that happen to come from families with deep pockets. Bye, bye, public school coach...

The private school route is no guarantee of more playing time and in fact is a much tougher route given that the private schools have talent from all over the county and the boarding schools are drawing great talent from all over the country. Go ahead, give it a try but you are risking a lot of after tax money for a much tougher road to the field. I've seen kids that are committed to high D1s ride the bench at private schools.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree, but more kids get a taste of lax at the town level first, then decide to try out for club.

lets be real - isn't today a game of who's balls are bigger on 91.

CLUB HELPED! So did familiar linuage

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Didn't connetquot play Hills east today, one of the last undefeated. Didn't see a box score

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Didn't connetquot play Hills east today, one of the last undefeated. Didn't see a box score
Connetquot won 15-11

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Connetquot won 15-11

Wow, nice. They're rolling!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Connetquot won 15-11

Don't get your nickers in a twist just yet - they beat Hills West, not Hills East. Hills East is a different animal.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Virtually Forbidding???? Kids leave GC program all the time for club and end up playing for GCHS. I would think GC is no different then any club (91/Express) in that they want to keep their best players. My take is that GC is good enough to field a solid club team and give kids significant rolls where it is less mercenary and a win at all cost attitude. That said, playing for clubs teams does help some kids get exposure to playing with top notch players but in club a lot of really solid players end up sitting on the bench and or getting their playing time in non meaningful games - less so in GC IMO

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Virtually Forbidding???? Kids leave GC program all the time for club and end up playing for GCHS. I would think GC is no different then any club (91/Express) in that they want to keep their best players. My take is that GC is good enough to field a solid club team and give kids significant rolls where it is less mercenary and a win at all cost attitude. That said, playing for clubs teams does help some kids get exposure to playing with top notch players but in club a lot of really solid players end up sitting on the bench and or getting their playing time in non meaningful games - less so in GC IMO

All true. However you're leaving out one key element. The level of competition. Come grades 7,8,9 there is no way GC is fielding a team that can play against top level clubs here or elsewhere. No way you're competing against Crabs, Dukes, FCA, Laxachusettes, WCS, 3D, etc... That's where your theory loses steam. In order to be the best, you must play with and compete against the best. Not happening with your GC travel team. Not putting down your team or town. However, it is the very reason why the best kids from your town and other top Lax towns will play on the top travel teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Connetquot won 15-11

Don't get your nickers in a twist just yet - they beat Hills West, not Hills East. Hills East is a different animal.

Early in the season HHHW lost by 2 to SE and 1 to SW. I think it is a good win.

HHHE beat WW and SW handily, ask them who was tougher WB or SW. WI is in for a fight today with WB. Suffolk isn't as bad as people think.

I hope the 'Pequa Syo game lives up to the hype.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Connetquot won 15-11

lets see if you say the same thing Sat evening May 9th! and a big question I have is why is that game at 4pm.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YES I would agree .... hearing TWO 8 th graders looking at going to HILL academy instead of Garden City hs or Chaminade..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I believe that is entirely wrong.

Less mercenary, ha! The GC club teams forbid anyone that does not (or will not) be part of the HS future.

Recently, only a select group of emails were sent to the middle school kids inviting them to tryout fro the GC club teams. By excluding other kids from the invite, how does that seem like a fair tryout? Who calls those shots? Is it the A parents or the HS Coaches?

By the looks of it, some folks (with select players) are fed up with the BS and you can see on the rosters of fl$, 91, Express, Revolution, and TB etc.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YES I would agree .... hearing TWO 8 th graders looking at going to HILL academy instead of Garden City hs or Chaminade..

Since the conversation brought up the future of LI HS Lax (7th - 9th).

If you have played on the travel circuit you know the reason why any LI town team cant win a travel summer game at the highest level. Whether it be (some of the bigger youth programs) Massapequa, Garden City, Syosset, CSH, Manhasset, Smithtowns, Ward Melville, SWR, ESM, Bay Shore, West Islip... the list goes on and on...

The biggest obstacle to towns playing travel is the reclass issue. I have been fortunate enough to have candid conversations, with Sweetlax, Laxachusetts, Crabs and Dukes parents. They reclassify to get their child the edge. To me each parent I spoke to had a very good player but on age they might just be okay. Not trying to make this a reclass thing of right or wrong. It is what it is and unless in a private school you will not see it so prevalent. So LI public schools don't stand much of a chance out there. a Diamond in the rough sure. but not like days of yesteryear.

HOWEVER THOSE THAT TRY CHALLENGING THEMSELVES WILL BE MUCH BETTER FOR DOING IT. YOU MAY NOT WIN, BUT IS IT ONLY ABOUT WINNING IN THE SUMMER?.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True. they exclude people very early on and there is no repercussion. Also, regarding their "elite" summer team(s) they cherry pick easiest tournaments beat up on easier opponents then put a two page spread in the local newspaper....sad and deluded .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You just said GC kids are leaving to go to other club teams - that is exactly my point - kids can play where they want - there are kids on GCHS that play within GC and some players for other outside clubs

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have to agree. If a child can develop and progress at a rate that is close enough to a top club program and do this in a town environment like GC for example, and do it at a fraction of the cost compared to an over priced, high pressure club environment, then why not?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All true. However you're leaving out one key element. The level of competition. Come grades 7,8,9 there is no way GC is fielding a team that can play against top level clubs here or elsewhere. No way you're competing against Crabs, Dukes, FCA, Laxachusettes, WCS, 3D, etc... That's where your theory loses steam. In order to be the best, you must play with and compete against the best. Not happening with your GC travel team. Not putting down your team or town. However, it is the very reason why the best kids from your town and other top Lax towns will play on the top travel teams.

Does it really matter? All this wheel spinning, cash burning, chasing the carrot .......for what?
12.9 equivalent scholarships spread across a roster of 45?
That's the reality of it!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with that 100% that very strong town teams will rarely beat a top club but my point is not so much about winning but player development. Some of these elite teams have lots of great players but "win" with only a couple of even better players - so I agree w/ you that to be the best, you need to play the best but all too often clubs stockpile talent and only a few actually play against the best and contribute while the rest get to watch a great game... just my observation - if your HS has weak teams or plan on going to private/Catholic school then I believe you should go big club

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you have played on the travel circuit you know the reason why any LI town team cant win a travel summer game at the highest level. Whether it be (some of the bigger youth programs) Massapequa, Garden City, Syosset, CSH, Manhasset, Smithtowns, Ward Melville, SWR, ESM, Bay Shore, West Islip... the list goes on and on...

The biggest obstacle to towns playing travel is the reclass issue. I have been fortunate enough to have candid conversations, with Sweetlax, Laxachusetts, Crabs and Dukes parents. They reclassify to get their child the edge. To me each parent I spoke to had a very good player but on age they might just be okay. Not trying to make this a reclass thing of right or wrong. It is what it is and unless in a private school you will not see it so prevalent. So LI public schools don't stand much of a chance out there. a Diamond in the rough sure. but not like days of yesteryear.

HOWEVER THOSE THAT TRY CHALLENGING THEMSELVES WILL BE MUCH BETTER FOR DOING IT. YOU MAY NOT WIN, BUT IS IT ONLY ABOUT WINNING IN THE SUMMER?.
They reclassify to get an edge......an edge on what?
12.9 equivalent scholarships, that's what!!!
Amazing!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Amazing!!!

Are you trying to say LI public school kids don't reclass?? Seriously?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Amazing!!!

[/quote] [/quote]
Some of this isn't about the money but the prestige of the University their children get into. Many of these parents have the money, sure they would like not to spend it, but they see the opportunity that is ahead of their child after college.

Me, I put my child into travel so by the time he was HS ready he wouldn't leave the field. Call it selfish or egocentric but the results proved worthy and at first it was a conversation of where he would go to HS now the conversation shifted to the colleges interested in him.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Amazing!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Does it really matter? All this wheel spinning, cash burning, chasing the carrot .......for what?

my kid with his 95 average and 27 ACT could not think about an Ivy but my lacrosse playing kid with a 95 average and 27 ACT can. That is the reality of it! not trying to get $5,000 from Maryland

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Connetquot won 15-11

That record is very deceptive. They have only played 2 teams with winning records and Islip, Longwood, Brentwood, Pat Med, Floyd and Middle Country have combined for a grand total of 8 wins. WM was a big win. But it took 2 OT's. Let's see how they look after the bottom end of their schedule.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In looking at Lax power it leads me to ask. Do the services that rank the school schedules SOS reevaluate the SOS through out the season. I hope so.

In week #1, history of LY has something to do with your rank. 4 weeks in or 10 games for some, they've played out a good portion of the season and you would think settled the level play to really see whose SOS is stronger.

WM and Chammy are 1 & 2 in NYS, they have single digit SOS with one loss. Meanwhile the teams that beat them (gave them that loss) are undefeated ('Pequa 'Quot ) sitting at 3 and 6.

Yorktown Kennedy and Fordham Prep should be below Lynbrook HHHE and even SE.

I don't get the rankings they use

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Connetquot won 15-11

That record is very deceptive. They have only played 2 teams with winning records and Islip, Longwood, Brentwood, Pat Med, Floyd and Middle Country have combined for a grand total of 8 wins. WM was a big win. But it took 2 OT's. Let's see how they look after the bottom end of their schedule.

they should be able to handle their schedule at the end. ill go backwards. they look good for senior day! have a tough road game at northport. Should win their next 3 but anything is possible. The Lindy game is the trap game depends on Lindy's F/O.

Now SE played EI, DP, Bport, copague and WB how many wins do those 5 have. Wow 8, same as you noted before. Next HHHE 7 of their opponents have 14 wins take away the 500 club and 6 teams with 10 wins.

Don't diminish Northport or Connetquot. Remember SE beat SW last year would you be that surprised if SW beat SE this year. HHHE and HHHW play each other as cross town rivals last game of season for East .

All good stuff!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

my kid with his 95 average and 27 ACT could not think about an Ivy but my lacrosse playing kid with a 95 average and 27 ACT can. That is the reality of it! not trying to get $5,000 from Maryland

I'd be worried about any kid with a 27 on the ACT at an Ivy, lacrosse or not. Getting in is one thing, but staying in is another.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd be worried about any kid with a 27 on the ACT at an Ivy, lacrosse or not. Getting in is one thing, but staying in is another.

Some kids just do not test well. If the kid gets in, then he will have to prove himself. Kudos to any kid that gets recruited for an ivy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And what kind of an experience will he have in college with the rest the student body that have 34–35 ACTs and 105 averages. Be careful for what you wish for. Is it what you want or what your kid wants. What if lacrosse doesn't work out. Is he in a place where he will be happy

Some kids just do not test well. If the kid gets in, then he will have to prove himself. Kudos to any kid that gets recruited for an ivy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ivy League schools have a very low drop out rate - get in and if you work hard you will graduate

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[lacrosse]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with that 100% that very strong town teams will rarely beat a top club but my point is not so much about winning but player development. Some of these elite teams have lots of great players but "win" with only a couple of even better players - so I agree w/ you that to be the best, you need to play the best but all too often clubs stockpile talent and only a few actually play against the best and contribute while the rest get to watch a great game... just my observation - if your HS has weak teams or plan on going to private/Catholic school then I believe you should go big club

How about getting outside your comfort zone? How about making new friends? How about playing with different kids? How about playing for a different coach? How about playing a different role than the one you play on your town/school team? How about changing things up and having fun? How about making new connections? How about playing with better players? How about competing at the highest level that you are capable of competing at?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes!
A moment of lucidity.
Rare 'round these parts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How about getting outside your comfort zone? How about making new friends? How about playing with different kids? How about playing for a different coach? How about playing a different role than the one you play on your town/school team? How about changing things up and having fun? How about making new connections? How about playing with better players? How about competing at the highest level that you are capable of competing at?

How about .....none of this really matters because Lax ends after college!?!?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hardest part is getting into an Ivy, staying in is relatively easy (for an above average student) depending on your major. Trust me, been there done that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[lacrosse]

High minded BOTC discussion at its best.

Page 21 of 38 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 37 38

Link Copied to Clipboard